The Bionic Woman Classic

Escape to Love (aka: A Matter of Love and Death)

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Nov 26, 1977 on ABC

5.3
  • A towering achievement masquerading as an average episode

Action series very rarely center directly on love, and quite rightly so. As a guy, what I usually want to see on these shows is heart-pounding action, eye-catching stunts and edge-of-my-seat suspense. But the whole reason The Bionic Woman is my all-time favorite TV show is that it consistently delivers both action AND sweetness. This episode certainly does: Jamie has to stand up her boyfriend (finally someone other than Steve, a real Season Three bonus) to break a shy kid out of a political prison. She does, and he promptly falls head over heels for her (who wouldn't?), making Jamie's REAL challenge to let him down gently. In fact, when Jamie's back-up team show up and get friendly with her, the kid turns himself back in, not caring to be free if he can't be with her. Jamie then has to save him again, after which we experience a Bionic Woman first: a final wrap-up segment which advances the story. The speech Jamie gives Sandor about not letting the fact that someone doesn't return your love separate you from that love is pure genius, a message too big and important for one episode, which is why it doesn't come up until the end, so that we get to imagine in our own way how Sandy incorporates Jamie's wisdom into his life. Yes, there could have been more action, and what there was could have been more inventive. Still, this one gets a straight A for everything else it's got -- a real classic.