The Bionic Woman Classic

Sanctuary Earth

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 11, 1978 on ABC

• Jaime Sommers learns the little girl she is protecting from two lookalike men with zapping devices is actually an alien princess.

This episode demonstrates you don't need great writing, acting or special effects for engrossing television. Although it is about on the same intellectual level as a Sid and Marty Krofft show, this goes to a basic psychologic level in all of us and simply represents what we want to see. Young Helen Hunt as an alien girl delivering some of the dumbest dialogue of her career. I recall a talk show appearance where either Letterman or Leno tried to embarrass her with the clip of some of her lines, which got a big laugh, but she didn't seem unhappy to see it resurface at all. On Helen's first time hosting "Saturday Night Live," in the monologue they showed some clips from her early TV career, including an "Afterschool Special" where she made a drug-crazed leap, and a great moment from this "Bionic Woman" episode where she is in Jaime's apartment and opens the refrigerator, when one of the twin villains appears and uses his weapon to zap her out cold. In her SNL monologue, Helen reacted to that clip by saying, "Oh yeah, I did my own stunts too." That moment was followed by Jaime throwing something at the alien disabling him, only for his counterpart to "beam in" in his place, with a surprised Jaime saying "Wait a minute. Didn't I just knock you out?", after which twin number 2 zaps Jaime unconscious and ties both Jaime and young Helen up. I wish more TV episodes were like this, especially now when a generation of classic TV watchers should know better about what is fun to watch and what isn't.