The Bionic Woman Classic

Which One Is Jaime?

Aired Wednesday 8:00 PM Feb 25, 1978 on ABC

• When some smart but bumbling bad guys mistakenly kidnap Calahan instead of Jamie, she proves once again how angelic she is, while getting an unlikely and un-fun assist from Max.

As I've said repeatedly in these reviews, watching a woman crime fighter is completely different from watching a man. Most criminals are men, and they are so much more likely to be violent than female felons that it's accurate (if not PC) to say that as they're also USUALLY stronger than most women, it makes sense that more men than women are enforcer types for good reason. When we watch a woman who is clearly stonger than any man, only (a very small) part of it should really be about proving girls can kick ass too, and so are equal to boys. The Seventies was Prime Time for the women's movement, but today we know women are wonderfully, beautifully different. So it's only right that we expect different things from male and female crime fighters.

If this had been a 6MDM episode, I would have expected to see Steve just go off on these boozos, and in so doing bring us viewers cathartic release and an unwarranted sense of increased safety as we imagined with glee what would befall the next dirtbag who dared kidnap one of OUR friends. In short, whenever I watched 6MDM, I always wanted to be Steve -- not least because I've been severely nearsighted since birth.

But once again the writers of Bionic Woman show their understanding of what makes a good FEMALE crime fighter: she must be gorgeous, sweet and soft -- even toward the bad guys, who must not truly be evil, so we don't mind her going easy on them. This would have been my favorite episode of the whole series except that Max (the nearly pointless bionic dog added to the third season, redeemable only because of what he shows us about Jamie's character) really lets loose on the two younger kidnappers, mauling one and causing the other to no doubt break his neck falling fifteen feet to get away from him!! In contrast, Jamie waits til the guy with the gun on her looks away, then whacks it out of his hand, gently presses him into the fence protecting a concession-full of stuffed animals and wraps him up in it, then chucks a panda at the ringleader, dunking him in a pond!!!!! It's great fun and tuly amazing when instead of getting off on Bruce Willis saying: "Yippee kayee, M#$ F%@", you're actually able to feel all warm inside for these bumbling crooks (who clearly don't have much future in espinage, since they can't even nab the right target), knowing that they're about to get pulled off the street by a ravishing beauty with inner strength and sweetness to match. B