We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A Black Box Community
ABC (ended 2014)

It's the first week of August, but now that TV networks are all about year-round programming, that means there can also be year-round cancellations! Thus, today we say goodbye to ABC's Black Box, which debuted in late April did actually air on television, where it averaged a 1.8 rating in the 18-to-49 demographic. 

Entertainment Weekly reports that the midseason medical drama will not be returning for a second season after airing its Season 1 (and now series) finale on July 24. It's nice to know that the cancellation is official and all, but come on, we all knew this awful show wasn't coming back. 

In case you've already forgottenBlack Box centered on a brilliant—and bipolar—redheaded neuroscientist. When she was off her meds, she felt limitless and full of energy, which often led to spontaneous sex and scenes like following:

Will you miss Black Box?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 7/24/2014

Season 1 : Episode 13

174 Comments
Comments (174)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I've just recently finished rewatching this series for the tenth time. ABC definitely made a mistake in cancelling this. All the other networks now have medical shows that honestly, surpass Greys. Black Box would have been on that level had they kept it running. They need to bring this show back and with some fine tuning it will be a hit.
Flag
what a shame this show was cancelled - the cases were so interesting and this was a very intelligent show. As a bipolar person myself I also liked the portrayal of Katherine and it stressed why those of us with mental illness must comply for our meds and keep honest with our doctors for effective treatment - But it also showed how much we can achieve in the world and that we can live our dreams just as anyone can -
Flag
YES!!!
VERY MUCH SO!!!
I loved all of it.... especially the interesting cases she worked on.
#BringBackBlackBox
Flag
Huge mistake to cancel this show. Was very entertaining!! LOVED all of the actors and the story line. Best show ABC has brought on board. Wish they would reconsider!!! Please
Flag
It was a mistake to cancel this show. I don't watch a lot of TV, but this is one how that I as well as some of my friends miss. I hope the reconsider and bring it back!
Flag
Of course not. I can't wait for the next engaging and entertaining reality show to replace it. Yum! Seriously??? Black Box was fabulously entertaining and riveting. Kelly O'Reilly was absolutely captivating as a bipolar lead and the plot offered delicious promise of future triangles and family turmoil that added to O'Reilly's character's mental challenges. But I guess the masses just want more of the brain dead programming the networks keep mass producing.......this is why I hate network TV anymore.
Flag
Yes. Yes. Yes. I will miss this great show. I don't understand why they cancel so many many great shows like this one. It was deep, entertaining and educational at the same time. Just like "Rush" "Royal Pain's" "Satisfaction..." "Dallas" "Enterprise..." " The list goes on and on. They need to get rid of all these off the wall TV stations that are just trying to fill airtime. Then keep these great shows going. There are hundreds of them just in the past few years....
Bring Em Back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
My family and I loved this show! We want it to come back! It was really interesting, and it got left at a cliffhanger of sorts, not fair...
Flag
I loved The Black Box. They always cancel the good ones and leave the shot on TV.
Flag
I loved Black Box. I want to be a neurologist because of Black Box. ABC seems to want to cancel all the great show (ie. Off the Map and... well, Black Box) and leave us with shows like Mistresses (...I have nothing against Mistresses in particular but I think Black Box was extremely better.)
Flag
Absolutely ridiculous to cancel. I am an avid viewer of many shows and this was unique. The cast was great and aside from being informative it was entertaining. Seriously close to quiting television because of early cancellations.
Flag
I loved this show. Finally our disease got publicity behind fascinating plots. We can function normally on our meds. We should not be ashamed to admit out disease no more than a diabetic admits his. I am tired ohisf good shows getting the ax behind societal standardsstandards!
Flag
The ratings system needs to be addressed. I was asked to be a part of the Neilson Ratings once, and was sent a pamphlet to fill out as I watched TV, and it was hard to be accurate as there were 5 people living in my house with TV's on different channels all the time. If this is the rating system that gave this show a 1.8, it's simply wrong. This was a great show, and I vote to bring back Black Box!
Flag
The Neilson rating questionnaire is sent out to a lot of people, they look at the people who send them back, the ages of people in household, where you're from and other information. If families fit the criteria The Neilsons (or Arbitration) will send for more info and then eventually they send meters to all the participants they choose. These meters are given to each member of the family and are expected to wear them from the time you wake up until you go to sleep. They pick up radio and TV broadcast not only in your household but around your area. The members get paid a small amount as incentive to wear the meters. They let all age groups participate. It is really interesting.
Flag
Sounds a bit strange wearing a meter to pick up all going ins around you pretty much. Interesting indeed
Flag
EMAIL ABC TO REQUEST THEM TO BRING BACK BLACK BOX. I SENT THEM AN EMAIL. It was a great show and it is a shame that they cancelled it. Here is the link to email them:
http://abc.go.com/feedback
Flag
Can't we do anything to bring this magnificent show back?
Flag
You my dear author are quick to judge this intellectual show was enthralling! you'd never be sure what going to happen next it kept you guessing, unlike svu and similar, the ending is not always clear it was a fun roller-coaster filled series full of potential disaster. Eg. i was sure she was going to crash his car in that one episode but she didn't it was a delight to watch and your tainting its colourful and bright atmosphere...
Flag
Great show! Shouldn't have been canceled!
Flag
This was an awesome show! I think the title did not do it justice. I had to watch to realize the show was GREAT! It just had a stupid name.
Flag
Yes I'll miss this show....I loved it! Every single show that has any intelligence to it at all gets cancelled. I'm afraid to like any new show for cancellation looming ahead. Go ahead, put another stupid "reality" show on. If those are the shows getting all the ratings then we are all in trouble.
Flag
I agree 115% with you.
Flag
I know did you watch the psychopath who lived next door or something like that it didn't make it past episode 1 stupid ratings system :(
Flag
They cancelled it because of general audience ignorance. Most seriously intelligent shows don't make it. And this was a very complicated series. I miss it, still, because of the ground-breaking medical treatments. Incredible show, complicated characters , informative & entertaining.
Flag
very disappointed in ABC we're taking black box off it was a great show please bring it back
Flag
Another good show gets ripped from the network. Unfortunate poor decision by ABC.
Flag
what!! why?! I loved this show!!!
Flag
I loved the show, I was a faithful watcher and want it back !!!!!!!!!!!
Flag
I cannot believe this show was cancelled. I'm over here wondering why it never came back on. Why would You cancel a show like this? Because of how real and true it is? Because it portrays both faces of the disease? It's real life. People live in the manner in which the main character lived. I would know. Maybe you should reconsider the next time you decide to get rid of a show that was actually Good for some of us. Very life-Saving too by the way. SMH. This was the only show on ABC I watched religiously. I havent seen the one with the cancer patient in a while. I hope that wasnt cancelled too.
Flag
Yes I will miss the show it explained having bi polar I know someone that has it and why they get so mad and black out the show was very interesting
Flag

BRING IT BACK
Flag
I can't believe that, once again, ABC, you've made another stupid decision in cancelling "Black Box". That show was awesome....WHY
Flag
I can't believe that, once again, ABC, you've made another stupid decision in cancelling "Black Box". What do you have against intelligent writing and amazing interpretation through acting? Apparently a lot. If it's any indication...almost every comment since Aug is positive support for the show. Get the hint ABC????
Flag
No!!!! I love this show, bring it back.
Flag
I'm so pissed they cancelled this show. There aren't any shows that focus on mental illness and this was one of the best. So stupid on ABC's part.
Flag
I absolutely loved Black Box. I feel like so many people are in the dark about mental illness and this show was able to shed some light!!!
Flag
BRING IT BACK! There are so many other shows that need to be cancelled.
Flag
I loved this show. How awful to cancel it.
Flag
I loved that show!!! Can't believe they cancelled it!!! 😁
Flag
I think many fans will miss that show!
Flag
I loved Catherine Black. She reminded me of myself. Functional dysfunctional person.
Flag
I can't believe they cancelled!!!! I was trying to search when it came back on & found this. Very disappointing. I LOVED this show!! So intrigued with mental illness & what the brain is capable of. Please bring it back!...
Flag
This was an excellent show. Catherine Black was a character that depicted great passion for her profession that arose from both her intelligence and her relatedness to the experience of mental illness. I loved that the show addressed stereotypes of mental illness, racism and family issues. I consider myself an intelligent and selective television viewer and I will greatly miss this show.
Flag
Why did y'all cancel this show. I loved this show. There r so many other shows that really shouldn't have never been on air but still are. Bring back our show. I will miss this show. Plz bring it back.
Flag
I will miss this show, it was not terrible at all, quite the opposite. I found it very entertaining and different than all the other medical dramas out there and believe me i watch them all (neumocardiology soon too be student). So yeah, i hate that they cancelled it.
Flag
This show was my favorite! I loved it. Also, please don't speak for all of us when you say that the show was awful. Maybe you just didn't "get it". I really enjoyed Black Box. What a bummer :( BOOOOO
Flag
WHY, every time ABC gets a good show they cancel it
Flag
I will miss it. It is a new venue, new information. It exposed viewers to a very different industry. Well done show and highly engaging. The lead actress was compelling.
Flag
Catherine Black's character showed empathy and compassion for her clients that was admirable! She even tried to instill the importance of such qualities in those she was mentoring; as well as in her fellow doctors. This show had other great messages delivered in its story. ABC, how could you cancel such a good show. I only recall mediocre promotion for the pilot - and no memorable marketing, etc... for the rest of the first season. Excellent actors all around!!!! Give it another consideration and bring it back with the coverage it deserves - agressively capture the public's attention to give it a viewing and I am confident more will become fans of this fantastic show. Possibly some sort of promotion for online viewing of the first season or some type of synoptic-like second season pilot could get it onto people's radar - they'll be hooked! Even the hospital staff's interpersonal "drama" really wasn't too embellished from what often occurs in such a setting. :-)

Flag
Unbelievable!!!! I believe ABC made a poor decision when they cancelled Black Box. I loved the pilot and then was unable to watch it while it was on duee to prior commitments. I was thrilled to find a way to rewatch the pilot and the entire first season in two sittings!!! I became involved with the characters as I continued to watch - but was initially enthralled with each patients illness, treatments and outcomes. I am an RN that loved this show. PLEASE reconsider ABC. This show was great!
Flag
I wasn't happy with the drama they were throwing at us towards the end, but loved watching her solve the puzzles. Mental Health is still very misunderstood and needs a voice.
Flag
I agree education on the brain needs a better voice, especially mental health but I don't think a tv show really the best place. Understanding psychology along with medical conditions, and the science behind the brain requires a lot of work from people to have a good understanding, something tv does not do for a few reasons. First, the framework of tv , especially network tv is written for the lowest common denominator almost all the time. Second, Education level and critical thinking are low because the majority of tv viewers is not at a college grad level and tv execs rightfully know people want to relax and unwind while watching tv.
I would not expect a show to be educational to a level of good science because shows always take some liberty to change something to better the drama. 'Cosmos' is an exemption but clearly was an educational show from the start and marketed that way. Maybe with the success of cosmos, tv execs will open the door to the possibilities of having more educational shows on primetime tv to reach a large audience and do it in a way that's entertaining to those who are not well educated in that subject (like mental health) and find a way to bridge the gap between complex terminology/theories to the average person/family.
More +
Flag
ABC was it to real for you??? Black Box was & is a great show about mental illness, I know many people including myself that will miss it.
Flag
abc- I sure hope you are reading all of these comments. A lot of disapproval, of you canceling Black Box. It was one of my favorite TV Programs..... why do you cancel really good shows? It makes no sense.
Flag
I didn't even know black box was canceled man that sucks I really loved that show
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members