The Black Donnellys

Easy Is The Way

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Unknown on NBC

• Mulgrew makes a great Irish Mom to a bunch of young Irish Boys learning to be men

Exciting, how did these boys get such bad enemies?
  • The fate of Dokey, Cottero, Riley, and the Donnellys.

Well, I was glad I beared through the 11 episodes of the Black Donnellys. The finale brought it all to the end. I regret not being able to see the future of Nicky Cottero though; I always thought him and his partner's storyline was pretty funny.

Jenny Riley's mistake in the beginning of the season lingers to a conclusion. Luckily, she quickly exacts revenge. We'll never know, however, if she would've tried to contact Tommy again.

Unfortunately for Tommy Donnelly, everything seems to collapse. His decision to beat the crap out of Dokey and not kill him just comes to show his greatest weakness. Tommy is never able to make the right decision in time for him to realize the consequences. He cannot handle the guilt of his actions and often tries to compensate with helping others. This explains all the times he helps Jenny and is one of the main themes of the show.

Nevertheless, the noose tightens and Tommy has no more options (aside from faulty grenades and a rocket launcher, that was priceless). Stealing a big "road-trip" van, the Donnellys were to high-tail it out of the area. The flashbacks were a hilarious yet subtle piece of foreshadowing. It seemed pretty selfish of Tommy to force Sean into saying goodbye to his girl when Tommy offered Jenny and Junkie-Girl (I can't remember her name) a ride. The Donnellys' road trip comes to a halt as the fateful showdown begins. Tommy, once again willing to sacrifice himself for his loved ones, tells Jimmy to step up and take care of the family. Dokey has Tommy admit to shooting Huey and Sal--you can imagine how enraged Dokey would have been considering they had Huey's wake at the Firecracker. Finally, rather than letting Tommy sacrifice himself, Dokey tells Tommy to watch as he shoots Helen (Momma Donnelly); this is how Dokey would make Tommy feel like he failed his family. Firefight ensues.

The Donnellys likely did not make it out of the block, but their fate is uncertain. We'll never know for sure what Joey Ice Cream did or who the "bodies" were mentioned by the police in the Pilot. Nevertheless, I'm glad to have some closure for a show that never got a chance and got cancelled along with every single other new show that I watched this season: Day Break, The Nine, Standoff (will probably get cancelled after it's half-year haitus), Jericho, and Drive (I guessed this would last 5 episodes but only 4).