The Black Donnellys Forums

NBC (ended 2007)

Jenny and Tommy! (Spoilers)

MissDiagnose

[1]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 4
    It really upsets me to see her act so cold to Tommy as if she hates herself for loving him.  I feel bad for Tommy... he has so much to deal with and all he wants is the person he loves to stand next to him and yet, she (who by the way, has a missing husband??) changes her tune every scene.  Ugh, frustrating!  Put me on there and I'll love Tommy forever!

*Editor* Title was edited and a spoilers warning was added, as requested by TV.com.
    Edited on 03/14/2007 1:31am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kinsley74

[2]Mar 13, 2007
    • level: 3

I agreed with you about Jenny, after Episode Two.  She admits she loves him, he finally confesses to loving her back, and she dumps him without explanation.  Not a stellar sequence of events.  I was totally baffled by her behavior. 

But I did think it made more sense after seeing Episode Three.  First, we get confirmation that she knows Tommy killed Huey - and that she doesn't know why.  That's about the heaviest burden you can ask someone to carry.  Second we get confirmation that Tommy can't or won't tell her why he killed Huey, which means, he can't lighten her burden.  So she's stuck trying to figure out on her own why Tommy would kill the closest thing he's had to a father since his own was murdered.  And third, she does still love him (i.e. she lies to Huey's brother, Dokey, even when he threatens her - arguably, logic would dictate that she should side with Dokey against what appears for all the world to be the ultimate betrayal.  But she doesn't.  And granted - Dokey's the ultimate creep, but still . .  .)

I keep coming back to Joey Ice Cream's narrative points about Tommy's "deal with God" and giving up the "thing he wanted most."  That seems to be dangled like a carrot in front of us as viewers in every episode - in Episode Three, Joey points out that no one knows how Dokey figured out that Jenny was that important to Tommy.   But he did, and wielded it like a weapon.   And like all great tragedies,  I suspect this story will end the way it has to.

But damn - it's going to hurt when it does. 

marian16stix

[3]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 11
    It is pretty frustrating. I feel sad for Tommy. I wish they'd end up together.

As for the missing husband part...omg. WTF.

xxhammergodxx

[4]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 1
    I love Jenny for Tommy but I think Kinsley is right. Those two are destined to tragedy. But she is dedicated to that family and I think if anybody gets to be with Tommy it should be Jenny. Jenny did go back and clean up the mess for them in the basement too. I am so glad you mentioned the missing husband Marian because I was not sure if I confused that bit of Jenny's info' with somebody else's. I think Ice Cream mentioned it really early when we first had been introduced to Jenny's character that her husband was dead but nobody had the heart to tell her.

Dannie5

[5]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 5
    I think everything would be thrown if Jenny turned up pregnant. Then, the writers could totally use the "Mob threatening Tommy's only love and child" kind of thing. Just a theory. Plus, Jenny would realize how right she is with Tommy after she sees how much he cares, because we all know he would.

mcdreamygal24

[6]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 13

xxhammergodxx wrote:
    I love Jenny for Tommy but I think Kinsley is right. Those two are destined to tragedy. But she is dedicated to that family and I think if anybody gets to be with Tommy it should be Jenny. Jenny did go back and clean up the mess for them in the basement too. I am so glad you mentioned the missing husband Marian because I was not sure if I confused that bit of Jenny's info' with somebody else's. I think Ice Cream mentioned it really early when we first had been introduced to Jenny's character that her husband was dead but nobody had the heart to tell her.

Her husband's name is Marian, how did you find that out? Also she doesn't know her husband is dead, she is one horrible wife, who loves to commit adultery. She doesn't even act like she has a husband and neither does anyone else. I just want her and Tommy to be together.

Kinsley74

[7]Mar 14, 2007

Dannie -  I like your pregnancy theory.  But I do think it would raise the tragedy stakes that much higher. 

Or I suppose they could try to track down the real father, and get the paparazzi and a lot of lawyers involved.  Equally tragic, but unexpected.  (Totally kidding, btw.  I'm just having trouble disassociating "pregnancy" from "Anna Nicole" these days.  Sheesh.)

Kinsley74

[8]Mar 14, 2007

McDreamyGal24 - You bring up a really good point about everyone (including Jenny) acting like her husband doesn't exist. That is a bit odd. And in a community full of such straight-forward people, it is surprising that someone hasn't told her the truth. At the very least, Joey and Jimmy are so good at shooting their mouths off about everything else, they could at least do some good with that trait, for once.

But I think the jury is still out on Jenny being a "horrible wife who loves to commit adultery." First, we only know she did so (or thought she did so) with Tommy. Whom she has loved since childhood. (Why they didn't end up together in the first place is probably a whole other story.) Second, this new guy she flirted with in Episode 3 is a question mark. I don't actually know what's going on there, so I want to reserve judgement on that until I know more.

BloodWillow

[9]Mar 14, 2007
    The Interactive preview on NBC.com shows what happened with Jenny and Samson.
    Edited on 03/14/2007 1:46pm

mcdreamygal24

[10]Mar 14, 2007
    Kinsley74 wrote:

McDreamyGal24 - You bring up a really good point about everyone (including Jenny) acting like her husband doesn't exist. That is a bit odd. And in a community full of such straight-forward people, it is surprising that someone hasn't told her the truth. At the very least, Joey and Jimmy are so good at shooting their mouths off about everything else, they could at least do some good with that trait, for once.

But I think the jury is still out on Jenny being a "horrible wife who loves to commit adultery." First, we only know she did so (or thought she did so) with Tommy. Whom she has loved since childhood. (Why they didn't end up together in the first place is probably a whole other story.) Second, this new guy she flirted with in Episode 3 is a question mark. I don't actually know what's going on there, so I want to reserve judgement on that until I know more.

Yeah BloodWillow is right the preview shows that Jenny and Samson hooked up. So that's twice she has committed adultery

Metatrone

[11]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 7
    Well for a "forward" comunity I think a lot of things go unsaid, partly cause they don't need to be and party because you shouldn't talk about it. You can list a lof of examples, even the love between Tommy and Jenny.
    And you shouldn't forget that it's Joey telling the story, and at some point you can here: "Yeah, but as it turns out somebody did tell Jenny that her husband got stuffed in a barrel."
    I thinks it's like someone said it - she can know or at least suspect that her husband is dead and not coming back.

Kinsley74

[12]Mar 14, 2007
    Drat. Well that makes it harder to sympathize with Jenny. Unless Metatrone is right, and Joey just hasn't told us yet that Jenny already knows her husband is dead. Though that makes me wonder why she wouldn't mention it to one of the Donnellys, since they're supposedly so close?

BloodWillow

[13]Mar 14, 2007
    It's not so much the "adultery" for me, but the fact that she slept with a guy that she doesn't seem to know that well (two days after Tommy!).The Tommy thing was more than understandable, but Samson? Seems kind of unnecessary and trampy to me...
    Edited on 03/14/2007 7:15pm

Metatrone

[14]Mar 15, 2007
    Wow! How did you figure she slept with Samson? They just walk out togather.
    But it's adultery allright, remember she's Irish Catholic, and a bigtime sin. That's why I figured she must have a clue about her knowing her husband is dead. If this whole line of thought is accurate than, her telling Tommy "I mean, I'm a married woman it's not like anything is gonna happen." can be called denail, and later sleeping with him she admits to herself she has no husband.

mcdreamygal24

[15]Mar 15, 2007
    Metatrone wrote:
    Wow! How did you figure she slept with Samson? They just walk out togather.
    But it's adultery allright, remember she's Irish Catholic, and a bigtime sin. That's why I figured she must have a clue about her knowing her husband is dead. If this whole line of thought is accurate than, her telling Tommy "I mean, I'm a married woman it's not like anything is gonna happen." can be called denail, and later sleeping with him she admits to herself she has no husband.

She does sleep with him,watch the preview on nbc.com

Metatrone

[16]Mar 15, 2007
    Why, the li'l... At least she paid for the muffins than...
    Only this leaves more questions, god I hate preview, makes me all eager for more. Jimmy was so great the at the end though, so cruel, couldn't help laughing.

marian16stix

[17]Mar 18, 2007
    God! I can't help but think "Jenny's pure evil". lol. I know Tommy messed up & he refuses to tall her what drove him to kill Huey, but she didn't have to hook up with Samson!!! She can deal with her pain some other way, Geez.

I can't belive she's doing this to Tommy. It sucks, but a part of me still hopes they'll  get together. For Tommy's sake. Grrr. (lol...neurotic)

ilsalund

[18]Mar 19, 2007
    I agree she's being "pure evil" to tommy if she's already sleeping with this new guy (i haven't seen the preview).
    As for the adultery thing, i seem to understand in the pilot that her husband's been missing for 2 years. I don't know if she knows he's dead but if she thinks he's not she has to think her husband abandoned her and that's grounds for divorce...

BloodWillow

[19]Mar 19, 2007
    She's been married for a "couple years" it hasn't been specified when her husband disappeared.

sweet_escape

[20]Mar 19, 2007
    But they also said that Jenny was holding out for him to come back because she didn't want to admit that he was dead.