The Black Donnellys

Lies

Aired Monday 10:00 PM Mar 19, 2007 on NBC

• In order to pay off Nicky, Tommy makes a deal with Dokey

Tommy tries to be hard and cool telling Nicky he won't pay. And for a sec you believe him, but then everyone understands that he is so desperate to protect his family. That's really his only weekness. That - and Jenny... He's going through so much and leaving all his morals behind in order to protect them. He's being pulled into that gangster chaos deeper and deeper and there soon won't be a way out. I mean he's stealing from a woman he lately made a widow.
    He must be really tortured about it all...
    Did I mention the whole Joey Icecream storyline is confusing me? Is he telling it all and is it not true?? Or is his counselor just saying it's all lies and it's still the true story we're hearing??
  • Tommy must find a way to pay Nicky Catero the $2500 a week that he owes. What Tommy enters into is a tangled web of lies.

Admittedly, this episode is a little slow moving. But then again, drama is not synonomous with action. I liked this episode about as wel as the last one. Tommy continues to find himself faced with one problem after another. He seems to find a solution each time, but at the price of just another small piece of his soul. In this episode Dokie promises to make Tommy's problem with Nicky Catero go away if he will steal a box from Hughie's office. Tommy has to lie to Kate, Hughie's widow, in order to do this. Tommy is just diggning himself in deeper and deeper each week. It will be very interesting to see how things turn out as the final six episodes of this season unfold...and hopefully many more to come.
  • Tommy has to deal with his problem with Nicky, which forces him to weigh his own morality against his family's safety.

I tagged this one "series classic", which on the surface seems kind of dumb; there's only been 4 episodes of this show. It makes sense, however, because this is my far the strongest and best episode yet. The characters are finally starting to even out, the writers are starting to find a groove, and the show's mythology is starting to take shape.

Big kudos to the writers for getting Jimmy to a place where he is palatable. The past three weeks I've thought he was too much of a screw up and too destructive to be believable. This week, I thought he finally got to a place where he was a screw-up, but was still kind of likeable. And Joey grows on me week by week.

Tommy keeps growing too. I liked his interaction with Jenny at the bar at the end of the episode. He showed a harder side of himself which I think works great for the character. I especially liked that Kate Mulgrew's role is expanding. She does a great job as a tough-as-nails single mother of 4 boys.

The scene at the end was fantastic too. Tommy confronting Nicky, and Nicky realizing that maybe there's something to this kid after all. Up until this point I'd been watching Donnelly's almost with a sense that it was on probation, that I was waiting to see if I'd keep watching it. After this episode I'm definitely going to stick around.
  • A truly great episode.

This installment of of Black Donnelys was great, showing how the lies that Jimmy told have affected his life and see as well Sean finally out of the hospital. It was sad to see the decision Tommy had to made to take the money so he could pay off Nicky cottero. That guy is a bad dude, but his character is awesome to see what he will do get the money back. The show last night was overall great, seemed to reveal that Tommy really would go to a good length to help his family, even lie to a woman then when a son finds out, he feels so much worse. It was a sad but godo episode.
  • Tommy finds himself in trouble as louis's men want the weekly payout as they threaten him at his home. Tommy finds ways to get this money to those men.

This episode was great, good way to get this story moving. Tommy has to make decisions that could ruin everything, just to get that money paid. This man is a solider. I believe this was one of the best episodes i have seen so far but then again i like this show so i have to say they are all great. I personnaly liked how he brushed off Jenny at the end because she had chose anothr man right before his eyes as she came back to apologize. Make her feel bad, she did wrong. All and all great episode.
  • Ok so if I had a brother this stupid I'd have kicked his but six ways from Sunday for every thing I had to do to keep him from getting killed. But yeah, I'd keep him from getting killed.

You'd think Tommy had hit Jimmy in the head and not the leg with how embarrassingly stupid he is. You killed a man and now you're gonna collect his money. What you think no one's gonna find out?

Poor Tommy. All those lies he has to tell to keep his idiot brothers alive. But that's what family does. But, what can I say, he's good. I mean how many people could stand in the house of the man they killed and fold clothes with the guy's wife. Only for the purpose of stealing from her.

I think the good Father is going to be hearing a lot of interesting confessions.
  • Quick! This show is in the toilet, someone flush!

1.1
    Apparently, whoever is writing this series has never seen the Sopranos or any of the Godfather movies. And if they have, for shame!
    First, you need to have the weight of at least one good actor to bring a new series to life, this show has many actors, most of whom haven't enough character or talent to distinguish them from the bad lighting. Four brothers, one who gets the whole lot into a pickle and doesn't give a rat's rump about the rest of his brood. The others become bumbling mafioso types who have more gun practice than they do brains or soul. Apparently, the too, missed the Godfather and Michael Corleone's lesson about how to handle a rogue brother.
    As for the "ice cream" loser telling the Donnelly story in the pokey....well, they would have been just as well off to edit scenes into the show of the writers telling you what is happening. What could have been a watchable show is completely blindsided by it's sophomoric writing and embarassingly incapable acting ensemble.
  • Jenny Reilly is a whore bucket

I love The Black Donnellys. It's extremely well written and shows as much as is possible for network TV. My only true beef with the series came to a head tonight. Jenny Reilly is a whore bucket. She slept with Tommy then told him it was a bad idea and basically told him what he could go do with himself. Then, within the next couple of days (maybe even the next day, I'm not sure), she sleeps with the delivery guy and gives him the same song and dance about it being a bad idea. And all of this because she realized she actually does love Tommy. I'm proud of Tommy for not taking her back. Now, don't get me wrong, I'll be rooting for them to get together in the end but for right now she needs to check herself into a convent and figure herself out. And she needs to stop sleeping with inappropriate men (or appropriate men for inappropriate reasons). What she really needs is a chastity belt. But other than that the show was very good this week, especially since Sean got his first real amount of screentime. Very good overall