The Blacklist

Berlin: Conclusion

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM May 12, 2014 on NBC

• Given away by the credits

I wonder whether the two final episodes of the first season were supposed to be one long episode. That might explain the problem of the (now) penultimate episode giving away a huge plot point. If you haven't seen the episodes, don't read on, because spoilers follow..

In the penultimate episode a hooded figure appears on the prison plane, but we never see his face. The end credits mention (as the first guest star) Peter Stormare in the role of 'Figure'. Though not a major star, Stormare is a familiar face from film and television. The attentive viewer never saw him anywhere in that episode, so he must be the hooded figure, one of the prisoners/passengers.

In the last episode we meet all the survivors of the crash. Not one of the prisoners interviewed is played by Stormare. The face of the guard who finds his way to the hospital is shown only briefly and whenever the show returns to his hospital room, the camera does its best to hide his features.

When we finally see his face, it is confirmed that the guard is Stormare (though he was called 'figure' in the earlier credits). His character then proceeds to tell a story that is eerily similar in tone to that of Keyzer Sose in The Usual Suspects. By then most people will have surmised that he is the mysterious Berlin. The twists at the end don't work anymore.
  • Disappointing finale

disappointing finale where the answers we were waiting for never really came.
  • very Kaiser Soze

The writers must be paying attention to good old fashion crime dramas. I give this a good score of 9/10 they finally got all the characters flushed out and for once Red doesn't know who the enemy is. Its weird to have Red clueless for once, but it present an interesting plot twist that there is a bad guy out there that even Red is afraid of. My bet is this Berlin character isn't just your typical bad guy. He must have a history or past with Red and changed his identity. No criminal mastermind would go through all this effort without a personal vendetta.
  • "Extsened the PLOT"!

I watched all the episodes all at once,it took about !8 hrs. Love the shows blot and the characters, also the actors. Great show! But the writers need to change the format of just having the cases mysteriously just handed over. and over to them by "Red". It's very repetitious and gets a little obvious that they are handed an assignment and then solves it in the hour of the show. PUT some more long term challenges for the team and extsend it out through out several episodes. Leave us wondering till next episode.
  • Terrible ending

Am I the only one bored of bad guys who don't do the obvious. There wasn't even a reason for Tom not to, you know... But Lizzy forgiving Reddington for killing her dad is the most stupid thing. I'm not sure what's sadder, this show, the people who rate this a 10 (whaaaatt? Did we watch the same show?) or how American TV (and Americans in general it would seem) has abandoned it's once proud "due process" and freedom for all (This is America, I get Lawyer.... lol ). it looks like you've totally accepted the disappearing of people and law enforcement officers breaking the law themselves as an OK think to happen all the time, based on this show and others like NCIS etc. Sad.
  • Loose Ends Covered, Suspense Open-Ended

This was a great finale/cliffhanger. I walked away completely satisfied, and yet still curious about how the future will play out. The worst finales are those that piss us all off and then tell us to return in 6 months. I loved the Keen disappearance[noticed his body missing when they found the Russian], Red's scars [suggestive of the fire incident, but not conclusive] and the restitution paid to that Russian psychopath who ordered Keen to kill Elizabeth. I can't say enough about this show in general, or this finale in particular. Spader is a true tour de force, and his loyal bodyguard a brilliant soldier in arms. Best show of its genre on television.
  • What a spectacular conclusion!

I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of the end of the season, but in no uncertain terms, this certainly delievered!

It was a spectacular episode and easily the best one we've ever had - clever, bold and daring. I can't believe who died and a couple of them too! It was huge - I loved that! Like a previous reviewer said, I lik e a show unafraid of killing people off, as long as it is done right. This was well executed, albeit very sad.

HUGE bombshell of a conclusion - I must say we saw this coming from liek Episode 1, but it is nice to have the conclusion and the definite answers... even if it was rather unexpected! Surely his injured back tells us he is the father!

Simply brilliant! Can't wait fo r more!
  • Smart and Ruthless

I love James Spader and this show is perfect for him. I have been captivated since the first episode. The fact that you are never sure if he's a good guy or a bad guy is great. Even when he's bad, he does it with class. Smart and Ruthless makes for a great villain. Very Hannibal Lecter Silence of the Lambs style. Can't wait until next season.
  • Edge Of Darkness

that was an amazing episode more importantly it concluded many things or tied up different ends from the start it was going great sad to see agent malik death and good to hear that Harold cooper is still alive the scene in the car of red and keen was great I was just looking at red's eyes great acting as if he want to say the whole truth to keen but was forced to not to say the truth. Berlin is alive that was a good suspence and the last few minutes were just great red removing his shirt and we could see the burned scars on his back that was great and very emotional scene overall it truly a concluding part jut cant wait for season 2 and I know its going to be a great fall for all of us till then goodbye
  • Berlin is Liz Father !!

I think that Berlin is Liz father and red know some thing about it because it is just like that Berlin and red had the same picture. but if it's true what make red protect her.
  • Someone's not afraid to kill off big players

I love a show that's not afraid to kill off some of the main players. I was just getting into Tom's Character when he was offed. I did not expect it! Bravo! WOW I love how this show is turning out. I still don't think Red is her father tho. I think Red killed both her fathers. Just my guess. Love this show!