A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on NBC
Poll

Poll
We are now coming to the end of The Blacklist's freshman season, and it's no secret that the show has been a resounding success and has gained many fans since it's premier. The show runners definitely are doing something right to earn so many faithful viewers. I certainly enjoyed the ride, watched every single episode, and will definitely have Blacklist withdrawal all summer. It's hard to remember what else came on, on Monday nights before the Blacklist came along.

But has the show been everything you expected? Do you love it? Is it perfect? Or have there been bumps in the road along the way, and you wish the show runners would iron them out before the fall premier? Maybe you'd like to see some changes that would make it a better show. Here's your chance to have a say in giving the Blacklist a passing grade, or giving it a pass, because you think it has failed miserably. We hope that the producers listen to the viewers, because we're the ones that they are trying to hook. They still have to please most of the viewers, so maybe they will listen to our constructive criticism or suggestions.

I'm posting this before the season finale, because I have a feeling there may be some changes in the cast next season, so perhaps we can applaud the cast before some of them bite the dust! I'm not really confident that this last episode will actually change anyone's mind anyway. You may have already formed an opinion about the Blacklist, and the last episode won't change that, one way or the other. But if they don't provide some answers I'm gonna... (fill in the blanks as you wish).

To be honest, there were many aspects of the show that were annoying during the season, that probably would have made me stop watching any other show. I'm sure you all have your pet peeves. They introduced intriguing characters and made us want to learn more about them, but then they either dropped the storyline or left it dangling with too many unanswered questions. At the worst, they killed characters off prematurely (Anslo Garrick, Jolene, Cowboy). Also they seem to have bitten off more than they can chew with all the mysteries surrounding Red and Liz. It's hard to keep track without a score card, and the road seems to be littered with too many red herrings. But I'll be back, if anything just to get answers to the questions they posed in the first season. What about you?
Poll

Poll

Poll

Poll

Poll

Comments (15)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular

5c from the peanut gallery:
Red, knows Berlin by another name, pulled Liz from the burning house he blew up as revenge, let Berlin think his daughter was dead and sent him all the parts which obviously aren't Lizzie's and is holding on to Lizzie as the trump card up his sleeve.
Flag
Im in love with a fictional character!!!!! No hope for me!
The blacklist is the only show I watch on TV. I don't really have time for TV but I make time for this show!
Flag
I'm in love with Red too! Oh.... maybe you meant Tom? Well... any way you look at it, there's no hope for me either, because Red has me hook line and sinker.
Flag
hmmmmmmm ""My favorite character is " is separated and compounded by race. Unconscious decision or not? "My least favorite character is " the non-whites got segretgated/combined in a different fashion.

And I guesss I don't get why items get combined. Like, I like Dembre and dislike Cooper the most. I like Aram and dislike Meera the next most.
Flag
I combined some of the characters together primarily because of their importance (or lack of importance) in the story, randomly, and tried to limit the options to no more than six choices in each poll (because of my computer monitor and the space needed to fill in the polls). It had nothing to do with race, and I apologize if the combinations I posted seemed segregated.

I'm disappointed that Cooper, Aram, Dembe and Meera didn't get more storyline. I would have preferred that the show had more backstory on those characters instead of the boring procedural scenes. My favorite secondary character has always been Aram closely followed by Dembe. They are endearing and enjoyable to watch.
Flag
Don't worry I figured it wasn't on purpose but mainly I was mostly amused. They are the lesser characters. However, as a person answering a poll I would rather have more choices or not have the choice rather than a combined choice. A combined choice often makes me not want to vote because my options on the two have a large variation.
Flag
I loved the blacklist when it first started but I become more and more disillusioned with it. I usually wait till end of the week when I got nothing else to watch before catching up.

I stayed mainly because of the main mystery. I was glad they gave me a Tom Revelation at the right time or I might have given up.

The last episode was exciting but again nothing much important was reviewed. I sure hope more questions will be answered in the finale or I will be pissed again.
Flag
I think a lot of people feel like you do, that there hasn't been enough answers. We all thought we'd know more about Red, Liz and Tom by now. (But Tom's story was fantastic, he is so much more fun to watch as a ruthless killer.)

I think the show failed to provide more shocks along the way, the OMG WOW moments, like when Red did his man on fire shooting spree, or when he killed Diane. The writers sometimes think outside the box, but some of the episodes have been lackluster. Maybe those really surprising scenes like when Ressler gets the head in a box from Red, or when Liz takes care of Craig in that hotel room (who knew she had it in her?), would help us to accept that they aren't providing more answers to the main mystery.

I'll still watch next season because of James Spader, but I hope we get some answers too.
Flag
Too many cooks spoil the soup. There has been too many writers in the writer's room, and they don't seem to know what was already established in previous episodes. There have been continuity problems lack of character development, and tons of choppy dialogue. Ressler transformed from a scowling, brooding agent who barely talked to Liz, to a chatty best bud who spilled all his heartfelt feelings about Audrey to a stoic Liz. The new Ressler was likeable, but not the same character at all.

The task force was predictable after the second episode. Same lines. Same action. Same results. It might be helpful to show more of Red's team of quirky characters. If any of his other assets are like Mr. Kaplan or the delusional but brilliant scientist from the last episode, it would be fantastic to have them help Liz solve some cases. Red's people are always such a breath of fresh air. Maybe Red's team can find the baddies in their own unique way and the boring FBI task force can clean up afterward.

It also might be a positive to have some of the villains return in future episodes, instead of killing them off so quickly. Anslo Garrick was brilliant. The Pavlovich brothers were deadly but hilarious. Best scene of that episode was the brothers waiting for Liz to come home, just sitting around munching on snacks, making themselves at home. “Oh. A gift from Mr. Reddington,” and Tom is just sitting there, all tied up with a bow (of duct tape, that is). I wish there were a scene like that in every episode.

More+
Flag
I agreed with everything you mentioned. Before I saw your post, I was just annoyed that the show hold their secrets too long.

Now I realized I will not complain as much if they had more of Red quirky characters and more brilliant villains.

I enjoyed the last episode of Berlin and I do wish Berlin is a better Villain especially the hype they used to built him/her. I am still not sure.
Flag
There's been some very poor writing choices along the way, making some of the characters very inconsistent etc.
I stayed because I enjoyed "The James Spader show", and I'll probably be around next season for the very same reason.

I don't believe Red is Lizzie's biological father, but I don't think he was her adoptive father either.
I'm still waiting to find out what she is to him.
And finally, despite some really good episodes and moments, when Tom went darkside I think Lizzie actually replaced him as "character I like the least".
The writers have to stop dumbing her down and settle on one or the other - I'm tired of watching her do a McClane one day, and be a hopeless n00b the next. :(
Flag
GreyMinerva, I just wanted to say it was a thrill to see your name pop up here on one of my own humble attempts to post something interesting about the Blacklist. You have such a way with words and have made me laugh many many times with your unique take on all things Blacklist. Even though I was basically a lurker, I always made a point to come here and find out what you wrote about my favorite show. Your recaps were excellent and refreshing. I never doubted for moment that you actually watched the show and that you genuinely liked the show, something that seems to be missing from the recaps and comments now.

When I finally decided to take the plunge, get my tetanus shot and join this crazy place, I was so disappointed that you seemed to stop posting about the Blacklist. Whatever the reason, here's one reader who misses you and wants to thank you for all the posts you provided that were such a source of enjoyment. Thank you.

Flag
Wow!
Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words - recognition is always rewarding. :D
And don't worry, I'm not gone - just had a little SNAFU with IRL butting in, and since the TV.com staff seemed to have taken over posting recaps, there just wasn't as much of a reason for me to do so.
Usually, I get to the episodes a day later than you US viewers, so it's already a time sensitive issue, and whenever I have to postpone it one more day - well, two days is a LONG time to wait!

However, I'm now all caught up to the season finale, waiting impatiently for next season, and will probably entertain a few theories during the hiatus.
Flag
What's great about the Blacklist is that it has so much going for it that even when the writers make strange or stupid choices within episodes it, it can still be my absolutely favorite thing to watch all week. Going into Season 2 I would recommend the following adjustments, to make an already awesome, even more fantastic.

1) Make the FBI and Liz figure stuff out for themselves. Red is a super genius, but he shouldn't have to tell the FBI how to do every aspect of their jobs. Red help should take the form of connecting Liz and the FBI to with the criminals and informants of the underworld that they might not be aware of. He shouldn't have to tell them things like "Do a deeper forensic analysis of that helicopter you found." Every time Red says "Think like a criminal" I've begun to hear "think like a non-stupid person".

2) Do a better job meshing the procedural and mythology story lines. The Freelancer was a really successful episode even though very little mythology was revealed because the two storylines of Liz trying to decide what to do about Tom and being disillusioned by Floriana Campo dovetailed nicely.

3) Give Red some scenes with people besides Liz. I love Red and Liz interacting, but its time to flesh out Red's relationship with the other members of the team. I hated Ressler until he went into that box with Red. Now after Anslo Garrick and Mako Takida I actually care what happens to his character.
More+
Flag
You make some good suggestions. I especially like your #3. After Mako Tanida which highlighted Ressler, I thought for sure more episodes were coming that would profile Meera, Aram and Cooper and how they interact with Red. Even Dembe who does have many scenes with Red, deserved his own episode to explain why he and Red are so close and explain how Red may have rescued him. (James Spader has such wonderful chemistry with everyone he has a scene with, he even makes the park bench look good.)

But unfortunately, the producers went the procedural route and offered several stand alone episodes instead. They missed the opportunity to give us more back story and character development that would tie everyone else to Red.

It may be too late now. Unfortunately those characters are expendable because we don't know enough about them to care what happens to them.

Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    500 Questions
    NEW
    ABC