A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)

UP IS DOWN AND DOWN IS UP NEWS

... NBC is looking at a first-place finish in the ratings for the 2013–2014 of primetime television. Yep, check the calendar, it's not April 1. On the strengths of The VoiceThe BlacklistThe Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, and of course the Winter Olympics, the network might finally end its drought in the all-important advertiser-friendly 18- to 49-year-old demographic, Peacock bosses said in an earnings report today. NBCU chief executive Steve Burke thinks NBC will finish 12-percent higher than the second-place finisher, which I'm assuming would be CBS. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to jump off a building because I'm sure I can fly now. [LA Times]

BUSINESS TIME

... Arrested Development creator Mitch Hurwitz has landed a development deal with Netflix, meaning the writer-producer (and sometimes actor) will create a show exclusively for the streaming-video giant. And so the Internet TV takeover begins in earnest! Goodbye, regular old television! [Deadline]

... Ellen Degeneres is expanding her empire with Ellen's Design Challenge, a reality competition show that will air on HGTV. Contestants will be tasked with building pieces of furniture in 24 hours, and the network has ordered six episodes for a 2015 premiere. [THR]

... Today it was Travel Channel's turn to grace the big Upfront stage, and the network didn't have any ready-to-go new series to announce, but it does have eight pilots in development. They are: 

– Adventure Capitalists, which is like a cross between Shark Tank and a travel show, with investors traveling to exotic locales to be pitched by local tourist businesses.

– Breaking Borders, in which two hosts head to conflict zones to collect first-person takes on what's going on from both sides. 

– Find My Past, where travelers visit their ancestors' lands to learn about their great great great great great great great great great granddaddies. 

– Guiding Alaska, which follows the eccentric crew of an Alaskan wilderness resort. 

– Metropolis, a travel series that showcases familiar cities in ways you've never seen before. 

– Nigel's Last Resort, which is hosted by luxury resort developer Nigel Franklyn and takes viewers inside the most outlandish hot spots across the globe. 

– Only In..., a local's look at some of the most unique and off-the-beaten-path spots in the world. 

– Watt's World, which follows journalist Nick Watt as he digs deep into the subcultures of the world. [Travel Channel via press release]

... The Food Network also got busy today, unveiling 35 new series between itself and sister network Cooking Channel. Among the highlights are The Valerie Bertinelli Project, which sees the Hot in Cleveland star cook dinner for friends and family; Game of Cones, an ice-cream flavor competition; and The Big Tip, in which Rachael Ray travels around the country leaving some serious cheddar behind for hardworking servers. Then I assume Guy Fieri follows along behind her and grabs the cash to stuff in his goatee. For the full list of shows, which are mostly variations on cooking competitions or Bobby Flay grilling something, hit the link. [Deadline

... In nerdy sports business news, ESPN has landed one of the NFL's Wild Card playoff games at the cost of about $100 million. NBC, which used to carry two Wild Card games, will now get a divisional playoff game. That game will alternate yearly between the NFC and the AFC, meaning CBS and Fox will alternate between losing a play-off game each season. Look, if you understand football, then you understand this, right? [Sports Business Daily]

INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT SCHEDULING AND NUDITY AND RECTIFY NEWS

... The series finale of the super-duper-funny The IT Crowd is now available on Hulu. The episode aired overseas late last year, but this is the first time it's been legally watchable in America. It's free, too! A must for fans of Community and other awesome things. I could watch The IT Crowd for days, and I have. [Hulu]

... Kristen Bell got SFW-naked for Allure and—hey, you've already clicked the link haven't you? [Allure]

... Entertainment Weekly wants to show you the first two pictures from the second season of SundanceTV's fantastic Rectify. Season 2 begins June 19. [EW]

CASTING NEWS

... Lost's Nestor Carbonell (the immortal Richard Alpert) will drop by The Good Wife early next month. He'll play a charming entrepreneur who puts some romance in the pants of Alicia when they meet during jury duty. That means Carbonell will be two-timing a couple of CBS actresses, having recently caught the eye of Shaw on Person of Interest. Look for Carbonell in The Good Wife's May 4 episode. [TV Guide

... History plans to keep pumping out original programming via the miniseries format, and is throwing some cash around to get recognizable names, too. The upcoming Texas Rising—which recreates the Texas Revolution against Mexico and the rise of Walker's pals, the Texas Rangers—has wrangled a couple familiar TV faces in Robert Knepper (Prison Break, Heroes) and Jeremy Davies (Lost, Justified). Knepper will play a slobbish lawman, and Davies will play a shifty fella who joins the Rangers to avoid execution. A premiere date hasn't yet been announced. [Deadline

... Reign will entertain a visit from Battlestar Galactica's Tahmoh Penikett later this season. In the May 1 episode, Penikett, who also appeared on Dollhouse, will guest-star as a nobleman who's also a mercenary for hire. There's no word on whether he'll stick around for multiple episodes; Hunky Nostradamus knows, but he's not telling. [E! Online]

... NBC has added the dynamic duo of Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir to its Kentucky Derby coverage, where they'll commentate on fashion at the pony race. The former Olympic figure skaters were rad in their first pairing as commentators for NBC's coverage of the Winter Olympics, so this is a deserved gig. Now give them a sitcom, NBC! [NBC via press release]

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 23

65 Comments
Comments (65)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love that the preview picture to the article is Sean Saves The World, a show you guys utterly loathe. Way to stick it to them.
Flag
the Food Network also got busy today, unveiling 35 new series between itself and sister network Cooking Channel
my good their pandering badly now to get rattings with that many new shows
Flag
Oh NBC, you had 4 things going for you and 75 against, I guess that's something. So, gonna schedule another Winter Olympics next year, too?

Uhhhh, I think I need to change my pants, the idea of Mitch Hurwitz with the freedom of Netflix and no baggage makes me uncomfortably happy.

Kristen Bell naked, that's nic... yuck, I hate sandy nude shots. That photo isn't as tasteful and artistic as I wa expecting, but she is in nice shape.

I would like Nestor Carbonell to appear on The Good Wife using his Suddenly Susan accent... his "Shushan" accent.
Flag
CBS has six shows I like (NCIS, NCIS: LA, CSI, Elementary, Crazy Ones, Big Bang Theory), FOX has one (Sleepy Hollow), CW has two (Arrow, Supernatural) ABC has one (Agents of SHIELD), and NBC has three (Chicago P.D, Law & Order: SVU, The Blacklist) Of the networks, however, I rank NBC as having the weakest shows. There were quite a few shows that NBC did air that I liked, but for one reason or another they failed miserably ("The Cape" tried launching a super hero no one ever heard of, "Camp," despite being the strongest show I've seen in years, was the target of a bunch of crazy conservatives because it had a realistic gay couple played straight, and "Dracula" had some REALLY hammy acting, plot holes that reached the center of the Earth, and the best character who provided the voice of reason DIED in the finale).

NBC cannot put its eggs in one basket with "The Blacklist" being the only scripted show they think will put them back to #1 in the ratings game. The show is quite good, yes, but only thanks to the acting genius of James Spader. Every scene he's in is magical, but "Reddington-light" episodes show the major flaws of the characters: they're pretty much morons who can't solve their way out of a paper bag without Red's help. Should Spader decide to leave the show the series will fall apart.

NBC needs more than just one scripted show, and unfortunately for them that's really hard to come by these days. Their comedies suck (admit it, Community-lovers, the show lost its flavor two seasons ago) and if I recall they scrapped ALL their new comedies this season. Dick Wolf is pretty much the network's saving throw: his three series (L&O: SVU, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D.) are all pretty strong and have been guaranteed renewal, but LOTS of people say that SVU hasn't been the same since Chris Meloni left (and a crazy faction of fans want all of Chris's new projects to fail so he can go back to playing Stabler full time until the series ends) and the series went from being pretty well rounded after Meloni's departure to being almost ENTIRELY about Olivia Benson (She's the only cast member in the season 15 icon on Itunes! Season 13 and 14's icons had all the cast members in a group photo.)

Long story short, NBC needs to really step up in quality if they want to beat CBS. I'm not saying they should put their shows on stand-alone cruise control (like CSI or NCIS) but they should at least develop their characters more and not focus their spotlights on one single entity, even if that entity is made up of awesome like James Spader. They'll be lucky if they can even get half the ratings of Scandal (which I don't care for, but my mom LOVES!)
More+
Flag
I wonder if they'll be surprised when it appears they didn't finish first..
Flag
Fallon is a great entertainer, the Tonight Show is entertaining (sorry Letterman :-P).
Flag
this "make money on the internet"-advertising cr#p gets really annoying.
Flag
My heart actually started beating faster when I scrolled down and saw the cast from The IT Crowd. Thank you, Hulu! Meanwhile, I'm sure NBC has some way to spin things to make the ratings come out the way they like. Doesn't everybody? You'll have to excuse me now, I've got the hot ear.
Flag
The IT Crowd is among my favorite shows! Just seeing it in the News Briefs made my day! If not for the Olympics I'd be willing to bet NBC would NOT finish first, and possibly wouldn't even finish second. Ugh, NBC. Can we stop talking about them now?! That is until after they decide the fate of Community, in which case pending that outcome they will be all I talk about - six seasons and a movie!
Flag
you do know that community is likely to be cancelled, right?
and to be honest, they should do it.
Flag
Yes, I know it's likely to be canceled - however, NBC put a lot of eggs in baskets that fell apart. They'll likely avid a straight cancellation of Community and have it go on hiatus indefinitely, keep it on the shelf, and use it as a filler for if/when (lets be serious, when) a pilot they green light bombs. If they have a pilot that takes off they then would issue the walking papers.

I disagree that it should be canceled. After season 4 I would've agreed wholeheartedly because Dan Harmon's exit proved to be horrible for the show. Him returning in Season 5 made a notable difference. IMO where S5 fell apart was with Donald Glover's exit coinciding with Chevy Chase's exit. I thought S5 was far better than S4, but not the Community glory days that's for sure. That being said, as a fan I'd still like closure, so despite whether it should or should not get renewed ratings and quality wise, I still want it to.
Flag
Yep NBC will end first for sure and GoT will have a happy ending. Someone's been watching 'Believe' in a loop...
Flag
The IT Crowd is amazing, I highly recommend it as an actually funny alternative to crap such as The Big Bang Theory. Why on earth do people bother with anything that airs on CBS? The entire network is hot garbage. At least NBC has Community and Parks & Rec.
Flag
I stopped watching CBS gradually, I can't watch their procedural's anymore because they're so formulamatic and the comedies haven't been great in some time (HIMYM was really the only show watched).

Community is still solid (even after the gas leak year) and Parks and Rec has been consistent this season, CBS should learn a thing or two from NBC about quality.
Flag
"Why on earth do people bother with anything that airs on CBS?"
I keep asking myself the same question about Community and Parks & Rec.
even the not funny (anymore) TAAHM is trice as funny as both of them together.

Flag
In the TV business, you gotta know how to spin it to win it, and boy did NBC spin the hell outta this one!

Nobody's buying it, but whatever...
Flag
NBC Says It's Going to Finish First in the Ratings This Season.. yeah and I am going to marry Alison Brie ! :D
Flag
The last episode of The IT Crowd had so many ideas that the show could have easily stood another series...But on a less sad note, writer Linehan's new shows, Count Arthur Strong (with Rory Kinnear, yes that RK) and The Walshes are well worth a watch. We don't have many great comedy writers in The UK (and Ireland) but Graham L is to be treasured. And no, I'm not Graham's mum...
Flag
DOn't forget Fr. Ted! (I know it's not new, but it's a classic!)
Flag
Absolutely right and let's hear it for co-writer Arthur Mathews!
Flag
Factor out the once-in-four-years Olympics and Fallon, due to being a late night show, and what does NBC have to crow about for primetime? Do peacocks crow?

I never watch the Travel Channel, but some of those new ones seem interesting. I wonder how in-depth the Breaking Borders show will truly be.

I wonder how many losers of Food Network's Next Food Network Star will get a series for themselves anyway. For those who may not have noticed, FN sometimes gives losing contestants of that reality series a show anyway and likely for the Cooking Channel.

Despite renewal, Reign is still losing some viewers. I was never really up on my royal history, but just today I got around to reading through some info on Mary, Queen of Scots, and I can't see how this show has much of a future. Some of the cast will be killed off, Mary goes back to Scotland at some point, so I suppose we'll see new cast members and locations if the show continues that far, then she ultimately ends up a pampered prisoner in Britain for the final years of her life. That is if the show goes even further on. Let's not forget the liberties this show is taking on history to begin with. Does anyone know how far the producers planned to take Mary's story? The Scotland part of her life may be the most interesting with two marriages and a kid, but I don't see it sustaining itself that far ahead.

More+
Flag
The idea of losing a playoff game to cable is a bummer for me. To me it is the one thing the NFL does better than the other big sports, where you can miss out on seeing a game if you don't have a cable carrier. Baseball and the NBA can never figure out why people aren't as excited for the finals when they are on network tv, and it is because there are too many people who don't get to see the rest of the playoffs or regular season games. I refuse to watch the Thursday games because that is too much to ask me to give up 4 nights a week to watch football. And they may only be giving up one game so far, but is one of only 4 that weekend, so I am sure there are going to be a lot of people unhappy and NOT rushing out to get a cable carrier. And while I admit I wish my carrier offered a package that let me watch my team's game, I'm out of the region they play in, I have never considered going to DirectTv just to get them. (also, I know a website that has it free, so, you know i don't technically miss them)
More+
Flag
OMG, that kristen bell pic is SO unsexy...
Flag
Of course it is sexy...
It's called posing into wide nuture...

They're not gonna show us the fully straight view of them bared all....
If they play a role into some film? Showing them bared all with their character at the big screen...
Flag
no, the look on her face alone makes me vomit in my mouth...
Flag
Please don't tell me you're writing her off....

Because you see her face isn't it much sexy... Compare to her body pose wide nuture sexy...
Flag
Not possible.
Flag

Surprised that the Travel Channel's new slate isn't all about food. Sure they're called travel channel but to me they've always been basically the food network. Bourdain, Zimmern, and Richman.
Flag
The Blacklist will continue to pay dividends for NBC and will probably leave other networks wishing they had Spader.

Spader to the other networks: You're gonna be late buddy!!!!

It's all about the Pretty in Pink references.

Flag
ABC had Spader, should have renewed Boston Legal. Then again, NBC had Spader on The Office and it was a trainwreck.
Flag
"ABC had Spader, should have renewed Boston Legal"

Well, amen to that. Preach it! I don't even think ABC gave it a full last season; Kelley had to beg! And they replaced it with what? Eli Stone?

"NBC had Spader on The Office and it was a trainwreck."

That was the fault of the writing staff. His first episode (Search Committee) was absolutely brilliant and every now and then he had episodes that fully demonstrated his genius potential (the one with his wife and the one where he drunkenly shuts down a branch and proclaims himself the effing lizard king come to mind). They had a brilliant, Emmy worthy actor on the show and wasted it by mostly shoe horning him in episodes for bizzare sex jokes.

Flag
Fully agreed on both points.

Loved Spader in his first The Office episode, then they change him completely and miss the point of what made him work.
Flag
I still can't believe the Fallon-Leno swap actually worked; especially after the very similar Conan wasn't able to pull even with Dave. Guess it turns out Fallon was broad enough to reach all of Leno's viewers. Or was it instead the way they launched him?

What an outrageous gamble!
Flag
Conan and Fallon aren't similar at all! Jimmy is adorable and likable.
Flag
I can see you point. I would say that both are SNL alums and each style of humor is a related to the other's as a result.
Flag
It wasn't anything about Conan that killed Conan's run on the Tonight show, it was Leno's toxic presence at 10:00.

It was the local affiliates that forced NBC to cancel "Leno at 10"... he was KILLING the ratings of their 11PM newscasts.
Flag
I agree that Leno was behind Conan's demise. If Leno wasn't there to begin with (at 10), NBC would have stuck with Conan irregardless.

But separate from that, it wasn't the total reason why he couldn't compete with Dave; I doubt it would have given him the lead over Dave.

Flag
I've always thought that Monday Night Football should have been part of the playoff season. Which reminds me, ABC never should have gotten rid of it. Last I heard there was talk of moving it back; I would recommend it.

Flag
ABC offloaded their sports programming to ESPN. Stinks for the cable-less (like myself) but works OK for the people who don't want to watch baseball, basketball, golf, or tennis. (I refuse to believe that there are people who don't want to watch football, and NBC's ratings for SNF back me up there.)
Flag
Sure, it works okay. But I don't think they're maxing their potential out and ABC could do that. Only really big events (ex. BCS) seem to be able to keep ratings exactly the same on ESPN.
Flag

Nester Carbonell is absolutely fantastic on Bates Motel. Too bad tv.com doesn't do any articles on it.
Flag
It has been getting so good this season watching the relationship between Norma and Norman go through changes. People always comment how 'Batmanuel'... Nestor Carbonell doesn't age -- apparently Kathleen Robertson doesn't either. She looks as beautiful as she did when she was on '90210'. The Freddie Highmore - Vera Farmiga scenes are getting so creepy and so good as the relationship between them is evolving and we learn more about the real history. The guest stars Kenny Johnson, Michael Vartan, Rebecca Creskoff, Michael O'Neil, Kathleen Robertson, Michael Eklund, and Paloma Kwiatkoski have all fit into the story really well with good parts written for them All of the stories have been working - its nice seeing 'Emma' get some better stories and more material, Olivia Cooke has been fantastic this season.
Flag
Agree completely. And I love how they've turned much of the plotlines into drug war stuff. It just keeps getting better.
Flag
And no mention of it in the news piece even though they, oddly, used a photo of him from the show.
Flag
Now that Jeremy Davies is in Texas Rising, I am defenitly watching.
Flag
Dickie Bennett FTW!
Flag
I have zero remaining interest in Reign, but it's good that Tahmoh Penikett has found something else to do. He was absolutely wasted on Arrow. Maybe he should stop by Salem next. I might still be watching by then.
Flag
Having a baby has done wonders for KB's tits.
Flag
Incredibly crass, but not false.
Flag
That's great news about Mitch Hurwitz. I love Arrested Development, and while I can understand why some people felt differently, I thought he did a great job with the newest season. So I'm very excited to see what he'll be able to do with a new series.

The other articles I've seen make it seem like it could be multiple series from him. If one of those series happens to be a collaboration between him and Dan Harmon, I could die happy. A man can dream...
Flag
OMG Guys, NOT COOL! I saw the pic from the IT Crowd and it was to tell me I could watch an episode I saw MONTHS AGO. I thought I was getting a new special or something.... =(
Flag
Humblebrag
Flag
Nestor Carbonell is and always will be Batmanuel, although he will never be Die Fliedermaus.
Flag
ha! Batmanuel was the first thing that popped into my head when I saw his picture.
Flag
Game of Cones? Somebody shoot me now.
Flag
BANG!
Flag
"Texas Rising" huh?
Goddamn. I'm so in, I can't breathe!

REMEMBER THE ALAMODOME!!

...wait. I said it wrong : /
Flag
Follow this Show
Members