A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)

When Tom phones in his handlers and tells them that "Mockingbird" knows, my first thought was the book To Kill A Mockingbird, specifically the following quote:

“Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it.
“Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

I couldn't help but wonder, since almost nothing in The Blacklist is throwaway when it comes to the mythology, if Liz's codename wasn't random. Tom is adamant that his orders were never to harm Liz, and given Red's lack of concern for Liz's safety when he sees that Tom has gotten loose, I'm inclined to believe that there are standing orders to that Liz is not to be harmed. The codename might just be one more reminder that killing Liz is forbidden.

Another possible connection is to the mockingbird's ability to imitate the songs of other birds. Liz works for the FBI and passes herself off as one of them, and yet Red is constantly implying that she has the impulses of a criminal. This is a hard point to argue given her behavior in recent episodes.

poll

Comments (34)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
@jennifermitch5 After rewatching the episode I agree that Red seems softer, kinder at the end. And he tried to console Liz in the beginning of the episode telling her that to Tom it was just a “job.” But I don't think that made her feel any better, it might have made her feel worse.

It has always seemed odd that Red never ever mentions his wife. He may blame her for what happened to his daughter, for whatever reason. Even with that story Red tells Madeline Pratt, ("all there was, was blood" story) it seems strange that he mentions his daughter, but not his wife. His wife could have very well been a plant into Red's marriage, just as Tom was planted into Liz's life. Or she may have been recruited after they were married by an outside group that wanted intelligence about Red's job. Maybe she was played as well by someone she had an affair with (the Adversary?), there are several theories.

It definitely is a "red" flag that the writers have intentionally neglected to mention her in 19 episodes of dialogue. (I think she was briefly mentioned by Ressler and Liz in the first episode as part of the "abandonment" myth.) That is a glaring omission to say the least.... there must be a reason for it.
More+
Flag
Talking of random things has any one noticed that the scar on Liz's wrist which she told the generals daughter in ep 1 was a present from her dad and the symbol carved into Tom's stash box and thd printed on the envelop Liz took from the safety deposit box are the same see below

This must be significant but how really not got a clue which is why I love this show so much
Flag
Whoa. Creepy. I thought the scar was from the fire Liz was rescued from that we've seen in flashbacks.
Flag
I think it is.
Flag
But she didn't look 14 in those flashbacks. More like 6 or younger. So I'm confused. And if the picture on the box and envelope is the same, whoever made them must have seen her scar to duplicate the image.
Flag
I don't think the scar or birthmark or whatever it is was made on purpose: I think it was an accident or natural and as a way of keeping his daughter from feeling insecure he made it their secret symbol and told her it was beautiful, or something. I don't think he maimed her on purpose, so I don't think that it's supposed to look like anything.
Flag
I actually posted a discussion on this mystery a few months back:
http://www.tv.com/shows/the-blacklist/community/post/what-is-the-significance-of-lizs-scar-1385696007/

The real fun game is trying to out what shape, if any that's supposed to be. Is the "V" shape the legs of a monster? Is the "V" stag horns? Is it a bird sitting on a wire/branch (Maybe a tie to the "Mockingbird" code name)?
Flag
I have always thought the symbol looked like it represented a fire, that caused something or someone to branch off into two paths, like a fork in the road, or a branch of a tree. Also, I have heard others say it may have been tied to the mythology of the "phoenix," the bird who rises from the ashes, and perhaps the "V" that is the beak of a bird, emerging from the fire.

I have a question also, as a relatively new poster here. How can we access those posts such as the one you mention,that are older or that date back to the first episodes? It would be interesting to see what has already been discussed or offered in a post, but I can't seem to find the posts that date back further than a month or so.

Are there archives here? Thanks, maybe I am just missing something on the page.
Flag
If you go to "See More discussions" you can see the older threads. Welcome!
Flag
A Phoenix would be a sufficiently cool symbol, and it also might explain the little dots around the main shape (fire/ash maybe).

As for the older posts, if you go to the "community" page and keep scrolling down, it should keep loading the older posts. I have no idea how they are organized, but there are a bunch.
Flag
Thanks, I did try the community page and at the bottom it says "load more comments" but unfortunately that didn't work. Maybe it's because I block pop up ads? I have to experiment a little more. But thank you, appreciate your help.
Flag
I was thinking that too. But I do sort of wonder when in time that nickname was assigned to her (like a less dangerous only juvenile delinquent Liz or this one, who unless she tells Ressler some of this stuff she is so getting fired soon). Are mockingbirds every used as bait? Heck, I could get all Hunger Games on you and mockingbirds were crossed with the jabberjays by the rebels to eliminate the jabberjay power creating the mockingjay, a symbol of anti Capitol fighters.
Flag
Great post! I was also thinking about this last night, because I also believe that the writers don't just randomly put names in the episodes, everything is for a reason.

I also thought about the lullaby every mother sings, "hush little baby "

"Hush, little baby, don't say a word,
Mama's gonna buy you a mockingbird."

Everyone is familiar with the song that offers the promise of many rewards for "being quiet".

Just thought I'd throw that one into the mix as well. But imo the mockingbird bird itself may hold the most likely clue if it does have meaning, as a bird that can imitate the song of other birds.

Also this reminds me of Liz's code name when she phoned into the FBI (to turn Tom into the post office in Gina Zanetakos) it was "white bear," and then a number I can't recall. But the city of Berlin, Germany has a bear in it's coat of arms flag.
Flag
I almost included the song! Maybe, Berlin is Liz's father and he used to sing her "hush, little baby" when she was little, and he was the one who picked the code name? Thanks for the info on the white bear-Berlin connection, the writers could definitely be giving us breadcrumbs.

Flag
Great post! Great show last night!!!!!!

I do have to admit, tho, that I could have cared less about the Blacklister! She was getting in the way! Kill her, save her, DO SOMETHING SO WE CAN GET BACK TO LIZ AND TOM ALREADY!!.....:-)

I loved how Red used the bad guys, to be the good guys to catch Tom, who really may turn out to be the good guy, even tho right now he appears to be the bad guy????!

Now, I trust Tom more than I trust Red. Do you think Liz is just a means to an end for Red? I am starting to lean that way. I used to think he loved her. How can he, when he had her go back in and be with Tom after he knew Tom was a murderer? And, seeing her house all torn up he sure didn't look dad like or caring to me. Or, he could be allowing Liz to toughen herself as he knows she is going to learn some horrible truths about him as he is a dangerous dude.

We have been given a million clues but no answers.

I hate this!!!!!!!!...........I love this!!!!.......:-)
More+
Flag
I also thought Red seemed a little different in last night's episode. Where did the kind, paternal Red go? The one that offered his arms and played the music box to comfort her? Last night, he not only sounded like he had a cold, he seemed a little cold and detached! But I think the writers have done this before, so that Red puts Liz at arms length, maybe to make her stronger?

But I do believe he does love her. I agree with jennifermitch5 that he gave up his life to save hers in Anslo Garrick, he came out of the box to face certain death. Red showed his heart then. I have to keep rooting for him, no matter what dirt Tom digs up on him.
Flag
Oh, I noticed the difference, but that sort of meant to me that he was scrambling a bit because Liz was acting a bit rashly and he was trying to pull her back a bit.
Flag
Exactly! Red just did not seem like Red to me. He just seemed so detached. He has spent this whole time trying to get Liz to beware of Tom. Now, that she is and is heart broken he seems to care less.

What am I missing? Is he now showing how he truly feels, or does not feel, about Liz? Is this the real Red? If it is I would be sorely disappointed.

I could take his badness when thinking he was doing most of it out of love for Liz. If he is just being cold-blooded.......*shiver*....now, that would be so cold-blooded.

I think Liz was awesome this week. Has really been stepping her game up and taking ownership of her life. Yes, I thought it was not very smart with her rushing in to track him but admire that she took matters in her own hands and not just wait on Red as she usually does.
Flag
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that. I love James Spader, but in that episode, he was in bass mode, speaking in that lower octave, “pay attention, this is important” voice. I wanted to yell at the TV “Stop talking like that! What have you done with Red?” There was no affection there at all.

I hope that they are not going to make Red THAT evil. I am comparing the Red we saw last night with the Red from the Stewmaker or the Red who came out of the box and gave Liz “that” look (that everything was going to be all right). Even the Red that kissed the back of Liz's head in the music box scene. But he's not the same, he didn't even try to comfort her. (Is it because Tom left?)

I'm not sure that we have really seen the real Red yet. He is becoming a chameleon.

Flag
In fairness he did have that scene at the end where he told her that she deserves the best the world has to offer. I had two thoughts for why Red was more emotionally shut down in this episode.
1) Red is entering "battle mode". For the first time he is closing in on the people (I'm assuming here) who took his family from him.

2) He may have been honey trapped himself by his never mentioned wife. Liz's experience could be reminding him of his own, and he is trying to get her through it by teaching her to detach herself from the emotional aspect of it.
Flag
I think Red does love her, he proves that in Anslo Garrick. Red's safest move was to stay in that box, but he forced Ressler at gunpoint to turn him over to Garrick. Red had no idea Garrick was working for Fitch, and he could easily have died. I think the mistake is assuming Liz's safety and Red's mission aren't connected. I believe they are.

I think Liz is biologically linked to Berlin and without Red's interference Berlin would find her and attempt to recruit her into his organization. Red knows Liz's life is not at risk when he sends her back to Tom, because an agent of Berlin would be forbidden to seriously injure her.

Flag
I see your points. Makes complete sense.....*sigh*.....I guess I will just have to trust Red with my heart, until he rips it out and laughs on it....;-)

James Spader is such a good actor. He makes me want to yank his hair out and scream "Tell me what's going on!".....:-)

I am almost scared to read yalls posts because they make so much sense and have me spending hours figuring out why all makes sense when some of them have been completely opposite of others.

Now, I am obsessed with Liz being Berlin's child. I am convinced......of course, I was convinced Tom was a jerk, then convinced that he was not, then convinced he was a bore, then convinced that he was not, then convinced that he was a cold-blooded killer, then convinced he has altruistic motives and really does love Liz.

One thing I am absolutely certain of........I am absolutely certain that I have absolutely no idea what is going on and can say that with a great deal of certainty! ;-)

Blacklist is fabulous!!!!! POI has been off the chain as well.....
Flag
Here is my prediction....
The writer is trying to keep Tom and Lizzy connected even though she knows he was tasked to marry her and make her fall for her.
They wants to make it interesting to show that Love is overwhelming and can bring enemies together.
didn't you notice that he never hurt her and even killed his partner when she was putting Lizzy at risk.
It's an interesting plot...hang in there and discover the love connection.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members