A The Blacklist Community
Monday 10:00 PM on NBC

When Tom phones in his handlers and tells them that "Mockingbird" knows, my first thought was the book To Kill A Mockingbird, specifically the following quote:

“Remember it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.” That was the only time I ever heard Atticus say it was a sin to do something, and I asked Miss Maudie about it.
“Your father’s right,” she said. “Mockingbirds don’t do one thing but make music for us to enjoy . . . That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird.”

I couldn't help but wonder, since almost nothing in The Blacklist is throwaway when it comes to the mythology, if Liz's codename wasn't random. Tom is adamant that his orders were never to harm Liz, and given Red's lack of concern for Liz's safety when he sees that Tom has gotten loose, I'm inclined to believe that there are standing orders to that Liz is not to be harmed. The codename might just be one more reminder that killing Liz is forbidden.

Another possible connection is to the mockingbird's ability to imitate the songs of other birds. Liz works for the FBI and passes herself off as one of them, and yet Red is constantly implying that she has the impulses of a criminal. This is a hard point to argue given her behavior in recent episodes.

poll

Follow this Show
Members