A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning January 5, 2017)
Did Red used to work for Fitch?

In 1x20 Red tells Fitch that he knew him better than either of them would like to admit. In Anslo Garrick (Conclusion) Fitch says that he "always liked" Red and that he hasn't seen him in 20 years. Their relationship must have preceded Red's criminal career. I believe Red used to work for Fitch and that is how he ended up with damning evidence to use against him.

poll

When did Red start working for Fitch?

The question remains whether or not he worked for Fitch before or after the incident in 1990. I believe he started working for them before 1990 because of Sam. Red tells Liz that Sam was his friend for all of her life. Assuming Liz is at least 26 that's at least two years before the attack on his family. Despite this association during the non-criminal part of Red's life, the FBI couldn't find a link between Red and Sam. They had to have known each other in a way that could not traced, so their being partners in Fitch's organization makes sense. It would also explain why Red felt safe leaving Liz with Sam and telling Sam the truth about Liz's past.

poll

What is the goal of Fitch's group?

I don't think the official goal of Fitch's group is an evil one because Red used to work for them back when he was still a loyal American. Fitch also postulates that the attack on the Post Office may have been the work of "a patriot". I think they were probably founded as an international collaboration of government power players working together to keep WWIII from breaking out. I suspect they've done some very shady things to that end, making deals with criminals, trading classified intelligence and that is that dirt that Red has.

poll

Comments (9)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I thought it was understood that he knew Fitch when he was in the Navy. I figured Fitch was a corrupt part of the government that Red might have clearanced to and didn't agree with it. I think Fitch is fully government that is very corporate.

And hey you can very much be a patriot for the people of your country and be considered a traitor by the government. Informing the people what's going on, fighting for their rights and refusing to be a part of powerplays is very patriotic.
Flag
Fitch says to Red, “We co-exist, Ray. Surely our last interaction proved that we're not friends. Don't overestimate the nature of our relationship.”
Red replies: “By my estimation, we not only co-exist we depend on each other to survive. What I possess would lay waste to you and your Alliance.”

In an early episode Red said “People think it matters who occupies the White House. It doesn't. Multinational corporations and criminals run the world.”

Maybe Fitch's “Alliance” is a combination of those two powerful groups, and they select one "delegate" to represent each country's interests. The Alliance used Anslo Garrick to infiltrate the post office and caused a loss of life,( Luli as well as 6 FBI agents/tactical team), just to send Red a message. They may resort to any means necessary to protect their own interests, and to insure their own survival. It's interesting that Fitch, as the U.S. delegate, seems to moderate the meeting, perhaps because the United States was the founding member of the Alliance?

Flag
Fitch may have been the moderator because he was the one who called for the meeting. I think your right about the countries having a representative, although not every country is represented...
Flag
You're absolutely right, I forgot about that. I also forgot to say that I don't think they have good motives, or Red would not be able to blackmail them in the first place.

Am I the only one that thinks the woman on Skype with long blonde hair looks just like Madeline Pratt? The more I look at her picture, the more she looks just like Madeline.
Flag
I think is possible for them to have been founded on a good principle, again because I think Red was working for them back when he was a good honorable man. This doesn't mean they wouldn't commit acts of evil to achieve their aim. Think of the FBI's deal with Reddington but on a larger scale. Red is out in the world committing crimes, including murder and the FBI know this and yet they don't stop him because the good he is currently doing outweighs the bad. Motives and methods can be very different things. The road to hell can be paved with good intentions. People can do terrible things in the name of the greater good.
Flag
Fitch may have known Red most of his life, perhaps from the beginning of his military service. Fitch said that it had been 20 years since they saw each other, so I believe that when Red told Ressler (after Audrey died) that someone wiser had given him advice (to go home and not cross over into the “darkness”), he may have been talking about Fitch. Fitch may have been a mentor to Red, in the military or perhaps in some special covert operations. Fitch may also know what really happened to Red's family, or played some part in what happened.

If Red and Fitch parted ways, it may have been because of this “Alliance” and whatever Red found out about them. Perhaps Fitch recruited Red to infiltrate the criminal world and that is the basis of their agreement to stay out of each others business.

Flag
I'm actually more inclined to think that the "someone wiser" was Sam. I have a hard time picturing Red saying something nice about Fitch. I think he and Sam were having an argument about Red's choosing to pursue the people who attacked his family, rather than focusing on the thing he had left (Liz).

I'm having a hard time figuring out what Fitch knows about Red's family. I definitely don't think his group was behind the attack, because Red is still looking for them. Fitch doesn't seem to know about Berlin or what Red is after and yet Diane claims she knew the truth about what happened to Red's family. God I'm so mad at Red for shooting Diane before she talked!

I think Red and Fitch parted ways because Red felt he needed to cut his puppet strings and go after the people who targeted his family.
Flag
As bad as Fitch seems, after hiring Anslo, etc, he may have just been following orders. It seems as if he went out of his way to ask the Alliance if they were willing to help Red. I still think there was some closeness between the two men at one time, as when Fitch said, "I always, liked you Ray, really I did." Whatever information Red holds over their head, it is not personally against Fitch it seems, it is against the Alliance as a whole. Red must have thought that Fitch could be his advocate with the Alliance.
I tend to agree with you, that Fitch did not really have anything directly to do with what happened to Red's family. But like Diane, he must know the truth and does not want Red to find out.

And Yes! That was such a frustrating episode when Red just shoots Diane without hearing what she had to say! If he had searched for all those years and the truth meant so much to him, it still does not make sense that he killed her so quickly. Unless he thought she would just be lying...

And to tell the truth... I never thought of Sam when Red said that someone wiser had given him advice to just go home. I just assumed it was Fitch. But Sam is a good possibility. Good idea!
More +
Flag
Follow this Show
Members