A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)

Less than 24 hours after The Blacklist's fall finale earned the show's best ratings since it premiered in September, NBC has cast another vote of confidence in James Spader's Red Reddington and everything he's doing right now on the freshman FBI drama. In addition to not benching the series for the entire winter (it'll return for a three-week run of all-new episodes on January 13), NBC has renewed it for a 22-episode second season that's slated to air next fall. This makes The Blacklist the second new drama of the fall to earn a Season 2 renewal; Red and Lizzie can now join the same exclusive club as Abbie Mills and Ichabod Crane of Fox's supernatural hit Sleepy Hollow, which was reupped in early October, only a few weeks after its series debut.

The renewal shouldn't come as a surprise, as The Blacklist is one of the top new dramas of the fall, averaging a 4.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic. And overall, the broadcast networks haven't achieved much success with their big-name scripted dramas (looking at you, Hostages!). There's also some talk about The Blacklist being NBC's most-watched new series in 19 years (that's not a typo), which is definitely a good thing for the Peacock network, even if The Voice did most of the heavy-lifting. So congratulations, NBC! You deserve this win.

What do you think of The Blacklist so far? Are you excited about the renewal? 

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 23

105 Comments
Comments (105)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I love the show so glad they are doing another season I hopebthey do four more seasons
Flag
This is my new fav show. Love the characters. Watched the whole first season back to back. After the first episode, I was hooked. Can't wait to see what's next. Hope they keep it going.
Flag
LOVE The Blacklist. But I'd watch James Spader recite the phone book.
Just watched the last episode--loved the twist involving Berlin, and I KNEW he was Lizzie's father!!
Flag
This is my favorite show on TV, I hope tom comes back for season two . I know he is the bad guy but I love him. I don't, know if I can wait till January for the show to return. Thank goodness I taped all of season 1.
Flag
Blacklist is the best series, well worth waiting for the next season. Phenomenal Show. R. Bradley & B. Lerro
Flag
GR8!!! Can't wait
Flag
The Blacklist is the best thing on NBC, and they should keep it. I only watch NBC when the Blacklist is on and if I m not at home I record it. Keep up the good work NBC.
Flag
The black list is awesome the best show on tv!
Flag
Best show on TV. In fact the only show on TV worth waiting for the next episode.
Flag
this show is absofreakinglootly one of the best shows on tv. Spader is INCREDIBLE! CANT WAIT FOR NEXT SEASON this is gonna be the longest wait ever :-(
Flag
The Blacklist is the best show on TV. Can't wait for it to start again.
Flag
love it.... Can't wait for season 2.......
Flag
good news to me. 22 episodes for season 2, nice!
Flag
Red Reddington could have easily been a very very annoying and repelling character.. while Spader gives an amazing dimension to him, the writing for this persona is also great.. unfortunately cannot say same for the rest of the characters; it seems like the writing team spares all their creative energy on Red and leave the rest to be some filler stuff to amuse Reddington.. Liz, the supposedly other main character, makes me wanna punch her in the face, every now and then.. I know that she is an inexperienced agent whose presence is forced by Reddington, so she can make mistakes.. still, she is way too annoying.. and the clumsyness and lack of professionalism in the rest of the FBI is also very very sad.. not The Following level sad of course, that is a whole other category but still they should be less stupid and more able being who they are.. still, despite all of its flaws, the premise and storylines are quite good and promising to keep watching.. congrats NBC, every once in a while, you can do sth good:)
Flag
This show is well written....James Spader is amazing!
Flag
Very good show, very surprising, good writing and extremely good casting.
Flag
I would have been ok with them cancelling it. The show has been pretty disappointing from the start, mostly because of terrible writing. imo. The only reason I'm still watching is because of James Spader, although I would like a bit more of Alan Shore in Reddington; I think it would add more depth to the character
Flag
Compared to 90% of whats out there in TV land, the writing here is both extremely creative and very good.

This is a character driven show. Such a show would get nowhere with bad writing.
Flag
Just a small number of examples of this shows bad writing:
http://www.tv.com/shows/the-blacklist/community/post/the-blacklists-top-ten-moments-of-stupidity-1386434801/
Flag
That's not about bad writing, and those points are one user's opinion (and it reads to me too much like the writer of the article is blaming the fictional characters).

Not saying you should like the show, I just don't really understand how anyone that is watching current TV shows can single this one out as bad writing.
Flag
I agree Spader makes the show, all the other characters are pretty dimwitted. They had to make some adjustments around episode 6 to say he was chipped , thereby explaining why he was no longer incarcerated, and even had a lair of his own, no apparently fully staffed by a manservant and fixer lady. But it's entertaining , and any series that gives Alan Alda some work I'll gladly watch.
Flag
No they didn't wait till epiode 6 to explain the chip, it was mentioned in the 2nd episode when the FBI made the deal with red. He said if they wanted his help they would have to agree with his demands. Those included a chip in his neck, 2 of his people working him, speaking only with Keene. Didn't you see episode 2?
Flag
Great! I really like this show! I just think it's a shame it sits opposite Castle, which draws a similar audience
Flag
Best show on TV
Flag
Good to hear it's renewed. Love it so far.
Flag
I like the Blacklist, but I don't like the way NBC promotes it. There is no way that the characters on this show would face the most dangerous criminal in the world every freaking week. There are better ways to get people to watch it.
Flag
It's a cool show, I'll give them that. Spader has a special type of charisma which makes him very popular. The entire cast is fairly well balanced and now, after that Anslo Garrick episode, things have changed and thus makes it even more interesting.
Flag
most-watched new series in 19 years?!! what?! what about HEROES, guys? did you forget it or do I understand something wrong?
Flag
The better question to ask is, what was the previous record holder for most watched new NBC series from 19 years ago?
Flag
Good job NBC. Now you have one scripted show you can actually be proud of that makes decent ratings, keep doing that. *(famous last words for NBC, usually.)
Flag
It does sound weird to say NBC and good show in the same sentence, but they seem to be getting better with their shows lately.
Flag
yes yes yes
Flag
Good, very interesting new show with some decent acting and intriguing characters :)
Flag
YAY, the James Spader show will be back.
Flag
Hah, despite this show considered being "good", it would pretty much suck without Spader, let's all just accept that (actually the other characters, even the female lead, are still impeccably dry and boring). But yes, I too as a result am looking forward to more of "James Spader SVU".
Flag
Glad to hear it got renewed! I'm really enjoying it so far!
Flag
Wait, whaaat??? There's only 3 more episodes left for the season? Booo!
Flag
No, they are running 3 episodes in a row in January instead of going on an extended winter hiatus, then they are going to have a little break again, then air another 9 episodes by the end of its first season for a full 22 season 1 order.
Flag
Glad to hear it. Not my favorite show on TV, but it's well written, is good quality, and Spader is great in it.
Flag
This makes me happy.
Flag
Yeah! Any other decision would've been not only wrong, but also plain stupid!! :-D
Flag
Great news since there haven't been many good new shows in the past couple of years, certainly at NBC where The Blacklist qualifies as a HUGE ratings success, even factoring help from The Voice.
Flag
All I can say is thank god
Flag
This show has made it into my watch schedule now, I watched a few episodes but then stopped to wait and see if it would get a second season. I have become wary of getting into shows that only last 1 season that I enjoy since I have been robbed of conclusions too many times. I am glad this show has made it to the next level, it is a great show and I look forward to enjoying it now! Thanks NBC
Flag
Where does the average 4.9 rating come from? I thought that would rather be a 3.0 or 3.1. Or is the 4.9 the Live + DVR rating?
Flag
It was expected but I still breathed a huge sigh of relief when I saw the news. I just have too much fun watching this show. It stole me away from "Castle" pretty quick.
Flag
I'm strange and I typically record one to watch later while watching the other one live.
Flag
Love the sarcasm. I still watch Castle but I have put it on the backburner aka DVR and it can take me up to two weeks to get around to watching an episode. Whereas I watch Blacklist right away. Thus, Blacklist has "stolen" me away from Castle as Castle is no longer a priority.
Flag
I wasn't being sarcastic. I do that with a lot of shows where I record one and watch a different one at the same time.
Flag
Sorry, thought you were. That's not really a strange thing to do. That's kind of the norm for most people these days.
Flag
The renewal is as inevitable as it was depressing. Spader is masterful, magnificent, every other praise he's received, but everything else about the show should have gotten it canceled about week six -- and some things about it make me question whether it should ever have run at all. I know that there have been tv shows featuring serial killers -- that only killed killers -- questionably reformed but non-violent conmen, and then there are all those vampires.

But Red -- as charming as Spader makes him -- ranks as slightly more evil than Osama or McVeigh. They, at least, had a warped and twisted idealism, a belief they were making the world better. It does not excuse them, but Red is someone who would -- see his comment complaining that the maker of the dirty bomb went to a competitor instead of to him -- cheerfully facilitate either, simply because he could make a personal profit from doing so.

But even that pales before the sheer, unbelievable stupidity of the show, and the BDU. (CRIMINAL MINDS has the Behavioral Analysis Unit -- BLACKLIST has the Brain Dead Unit.) Nobody there has wondered if Red might be the Daddy of this openly adopted agent who is the only one he'll work with, when a DNA test would settle it in a day.

This the same agency that has a perfectly clear, undisguised picture of someone who has just killed a train car filled with people -- and doesn't bother to give the picture to other law enforcement agencies and suggest they watch out for him.

The same agency who has forgotten to train its agents about something the average beat cop knows -- that when you have two agents approaching a suspect you have them come at him from different directions, precisely so he can't produce the sort of hostage situation Evil Dr. Wilson does.

The same agency that cheers when an agent drives a dirty bomb into the ocean where it can explode -- and destroy the entire fishing industry in the Gulf of Mexico for the next two decades.

Spader IS magniofocent, but...
More+
Flag
Part of the appeal of Red's character is that he ACKNOWLDEGES what he is and does; and isn't particularly apologetic about it. I watch it to find out what his actual endgame is.

Real police work involves rules and laws. Following those rules does not make for exciting television viewing. For actual investigative police work I watch the shows on Discovery Investigation. (and even those are somewhat scripted in deference to time constraints)

Red could be working for the Miami crime lab as a technician by day and a serial killer by night. Oh wait, that was Dexter. At least Red has better taste in clothes.
Flag
This is great news. The writers will be able to expand the existing storylines, and add some new ones. So much fun. Not to mention more James Spader!
Flag
Amazing news about renew the show for next season, this is one of my favourite show right now
Flag
As much as I like Sleepy Hollow, The Blacklist is my favorite new show! So I am happy about this.
Flag
thank you !!!!!!!
Flag
I'm definitely looking forward to at least another year. Last night's episode was a bit weird...almost as if most of it was shot/written before they knew how long the series would be green lighted for. I think the episode might have been intended to give some sort of conclusion to the series had it not caught on like it now has.
Flag
I'm glad but... last night's episode was must watch tv for me, as I imagine it was for others after last week's cliffhanger and probably its strongest episode of the season. unfortunately last nights episode didn't have near the strength of the prior, IMO. essentially last week's episode was a a big surprise. I knew spader was absolutely the show's strength and occasionally there could be some solid dialogue, but it's really not consistent in that regard. I guess I'll just continue watching it and be pleasantly surprised if there's ever another stand-out episode.
Flag
The best new series of this season. Great news.
Flag
I am really excited its a season 2 but... what if the ratings do bad in the second half like sleepy hollow is doing now after fox renewed them. IN ALL THOUGHT I REALLY FREAKING EXCITED FOR THIS I CAN SEE MORE OF LIZ!!
Flag
Hip Hip Hooray... My dear!
Flag
Well, duh...
And I am so glad they are not taking a long winter break!
Flag
Load More Comments
Follow this Show
Members