A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)

The Blacklist S01E21: "Berlin"

This is what answers look like on The Blacklist. Tonight's episode threw two big curveballs into the proceedings: 1.) Berlin is a person, not a location, and 2.) a sizable chunk of the Blacklist cases we've seen so far are connected. Huge news! Oh, wait, both of those things were revealed in the preview for "Berlin" that aired at the end of last week's episode? Well, shoot. 

However, outside of NBC's overeager promo department, these two developments worked well enough. Neither one is spectacularly original, but they fit into The Blacklist's relatively solid ethos as well as can be expected. The idea that Berlin is a person pulls Red's growing troubles and Tom's mission closer together, and gives the show a mysterious, seemingly opposing figurehead who represents everything that's happened this season—and everything that's gone wrong in Lizzie's life.

Similarly, while the news that many (if not all) of the Blacklist cases are directly connected to one another probably wasn't much of a surprise, "Berline" made quick work of illustrating how Lizzie figured it all out. Sure, she basically just looked at a bunch of files and headshots of former Blacklisters, but that's how everyone figures stuff out on television! And dammit, she figured something out. Put a W on the board for Agent Keen, guys. The episode still went out of its way to underscore that Red is 12 steps ahead of Lizzie, but hey, it also showed us that she's smarter than all of her coworkers, so that's something. 

And in the grand scheme of things, "Berlin" answered a very big question. From the pilot onward, The Blacklist wanted to us to wonder exactly why Red wanted to "help" the FBI. While the show quickly and partially addressed that—he wanted to help because the FBI is dumb enough to follow his whims, seemingly no matter what—this development put the last little piece of that puzzle in place. Not only did Red want to take advantage of the FBI's resources, he wanted to do it specifically because he knew he was under attack by some unknown force (who we now know is Berlin).

Unfortunately, because this is still The Blacklist, the episode brought us those revelations by the 45-minute mark, setting up what should have been an exciting, intense final act, but instead it almost immediately petered out because the show clearly wanted to hold any bigger reveals for the season finale. Though we're probably all used to being jerked around a bit at this time of the year, I can't help but think about what The Blacklist would be like if wasn't so attached to the idea of being this kind of throwback drama series. "Berlin" tried to sustain the suspense about its titular individual by keeping a towel over his/her head and producing what was a truly miserable-looking plane crash, but those things only emphasized the episode's efforts to stall for just a few minutes more. Also, I'm cool with action-y shows on broadcast television, but if you can't shoot down a plane convincingly or without laughable CGI, just don't do it. You're not achieving anything with mediocre visual effects. 

The emotional hook in that final sequence was supposed to lie with yet another slippery conversation between Red and Lizzie, and while I appreciated the episode's attempt to ramp up the end-of-the-season drama with the threat that the task force could be shut down, there's very little in what we've seen over the past 21 episodes to suggest that could actually happen for any extended period of time. I think the show wanted us to feel weird and moved by Lizzie's decision to try to convince Red to run from the FBI, but all that did was signal how twisted-up and kind of naive she is. Red needs Lizzie and the task force to protect him from Berlin, and she needs him to... find Tom, I guess? James Spader and Megan Boone continue to make these scenes work fine enough, but these are the kinds of moments where the problematic writing for Lizzie comes back to haunt the show. If we think she's just being pulled back into this terrible world because she's dense, that's not a good sign.

Like many of the 2014 episodes of The Blacklist, "Berlin" was far from bad, but lacked some of the spark that drove the episodes from last fall. This one delivered a couple of key reveals and certainly set stories and characters up for what could be a crazy, deadly finale. Yet, this second half of the season has been so content to just push the goalposts to the next week that there's no guarantee that the crazy and deadly will ever come. Let's hope it does, because this show can do both those things pretty well.

NOTES

– This week's teaser, with the armored-car guard quickly falling victim to the Cullen virus and the bank going into lockdown, seemed really sloppy to me. The editing was a bit choppy, and unfortunately, the dude playing the guard wasn't very good. It happens. 

– Another W for Mrs. Keen (and she's going to have to get that name changed): She infected Vogel, the mastermind behind the virus, with his creation in hopes of getting information out of him as quickly as possible. Ruthless. 

– Speaking of ruthless: Tom cut a big hunk of skin off of one of Red's spies. Maybe there's hope for those two crazy kids yet!

– I loved how the show felt like we needed a scene where Lizzie explained her logic for leaving so the other people on the task force could express understanding, as if they're actual characters and not just exposition-deliverers. 

– The biggest shocker of the episode was that The Blacklist hired John Glover and asked him to play someone other than a egomaniacal villain. Glover certainly relished the opportunity to play a crazy doctor, and he and Spader had a fun chemistry. It's nice when the show injects these little moments of humor into its extremely dour proceedings. Lighten up!

What'd you guys think of this one? Are you still excited for the finale?

Previously Aired Episode

AIRED ON 5/19/2016

Season 3 : Episode 23

115 Comments
Comments (115)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Ooh ooh ooh new theory...Berlin is Liz's father...maybe Red's kids were having a play date when the massacre happened. Maybe he has a brother or a "like a brother" kinda friend who's kid was at the house and is now seeking revenge on Red...maybe Red is more like Liz's godfather...maybe...i'm going to shut up now and wait for the finale...
Flag
So anxious to see the finale!!!! I have to admit that this show made me think, which is rare in television this days. Kudos to Jon Bokenkamp, the man behind District 9, one of the most intelligent movies made in the last few years.
Some of my questions were answered in this episode, like the confirmation that this Berlin guy is really a guy and not a group (or the capital of Germany like some people were led to believe). And more, it's a guy that played a big part in both Red's and Lizzie's lives at some point. That explains all the effort he's been made just to get to Red (he's in search of revenge for something) as well as Tom's part in all of this. I honestly don't believe he got close to Lizzie just to investigate Red, he did it mostly because Berlin told him to. Which makes me think that this Berlin guy has some kind of connection with her, specially coming to think that maybe the secret Red prevented Sam from telling Liz is that her biological father is still alive, maybe he didn't die at that fire she remembered some episodes behind. That makes me think (Gee, I hope I'm right) that this Berlin guy is Lizzie's biological father.
Given that all this Cullen virus blackmailing scheme had the sole purpose of concealing Berlin's coming to the US I think is right to assume that is important (maybe vital) for him to maintain the secret of his identity, probably because everyone (specially Red) thinks he's dead and he intends to keep it that way, at least until the time to act against Red, to get his revenge.
Assuming that this is it, that Berlin is really Lizzie's biological father, the question remains: will he show himself to Lizzie or will he stay dead to her?
Honestly I don't think these answers will be delivered in this finale. Maybe we're looking at a cliffhanger. A cliffhanger with a revelation (that Berlin is in fact the responsible for all of Red's misfortunes) and Red in the same spot that Anslo Garrick put him in the first half of the season... only this time a million times worst.
More+
Flag
what i'd like to know is where is Red's wife and kid, he left them one snowy day and disappeared, where are they now?
Flag
Questions. If Berlin is only #8 on the Blacklist, and we are only in the first season... how could Berlin be related to all the other Blacklisters?

If Red or the FBI gets rid of Berlin then Red doesn't need to work with the FBI anymore because there would no longer be a threat?

If Berlin is out of the way, does that mean that Red won't have to worry about being attacked by anyone else on the Blacklist? Or is Berlin just the next guy in the line of dominoes, and there will be someone above him, and the next one will be even worse. Next season we may meet Berlin's boss. And the season after that, his boss..etc. Okay, that sounds good for another 9 seasons or so.

But how does this all have anything to do with Liz, her scar, the numbers on the Blacklist or Red's search for the truth about what happened to his family? Too many questions.

Flag
John Glover should have been playing a major recurring villain whose wits match Red's. I also think he would have been a better actor to play Alan Alda's role as well.
Flag
Hell's bells if we're rearranging parts - let John Glover replace Megan Boone. She's train wrecking the whole show for me.
Flag
Surely because Tom Keen isn't actually Tom Keen, his and Liz's marriage doesn't count. So she's not really Mrs Keen anyway!
Flag
i felt this ep and next where . were sort set up do to the show being pick up for a another season.
Flag
so...this Berlin person is like Red's biggest threat...Big enough that he got in bed with the FBI for protection...right?...Berlin is number 6 on the Blackslist! who the flying hell is 1 through 5!?...
Flag
i was corrected...he's number 8...so who is 1 through 7!!!?....
Flag
I thought that he was accused of wanting their protection early in the show, and laughed and said that he trusts his own resources more than theirs... i have deleted the earlier shows so I could not tell you which one though.
Flag
after the finale i couldn't agree more...
Flag
I loved what Red said to Liz cause it fitted so beautifully NOT into their situation. I expected them to run, drive away with Dembe or Red to use Lizzy as leverage and then booom! they just sat there... God, my poor pulse!
Flag
IMO John Glover is in the same league of acting as James Spader. He ought to be featured more often in the same way on shows. Instead he's fallen post-Smallville to special guest star.
Flag
i dont understand how they can be in DC in the blacksite one minute and in ny where the plane was landing in the next. talk about bad writing!!
Flag
What are you trying to say. She wants the truth. She wants know why her husband was a spy. Why did Red pick her to be her liaison with F.B.I.? Why did her father had to die? I want to know same. I admit the can all be the same reason. I still want to know why? I just hope they will deliver that they will not string us along forever. It was fun seeing John Glover, he was great in Smallville.
Flag
The truly great thing about this show is, that Reddington is obviously Kayszer Soze
Flag
I guess I'm lucky in that sense - I don't get the promo teasers here, so I usually go into each episode spoiler free. ;)

But on a more serious note:
No, I don't think Lizzie wants Red free to help find Tom. I think it was clear from her reaction to the file on her "father" that she found some nugget of information about his/her background and connection to Red, and is just DYING to pump him for it.

Not a great episode, the plot was weirdly paced, the way they kept the prisoner "secret" was awkwardly handled, and the plane crash - don't even get me started on the plane crash. *eyeroll*

Smart sighting:
Agent Keen, trying Science! and being a Mathlete and Figuring Stuff Out.

Dumb sighting:
The CDC agent, explaining that this was the Most Deadly Virus EVER, and how nobody was allowed to do research (i.e. handle the stuff) because it was TOO DANGEROUS - and then standing there outside the bank with a big, lethal syringe filled with the Most Deadly Virus EVER (or so they thought at the time) lying on a table, being shown off to the Keen and Ressler.
Ok, so the CDC lady had just said they THOUGHT it wasn't airborn and also didn't spread, but it's a pretty big step from "well, luckily nobody else in the bank got infected" to "let's just leave this on a table, no reason to package it in a foamfilled container within a container sealed a thousand ways to Sunday with big, yellow plague-signs on it!
More+
Flag
Well the too dangerous thing is crap. The CDC likes very lethal things. What's scarier is that they would take a virus like the bird flu which was only contagious through chicken then mutate it (which is actually easy to do (no matter what this episode said)) to make it airborne. Then they test it off on ferrets whose lungs are like ours. And of course it makes the Spanish Flu look like the hiccups. And then they keep it in the lab. That's fvckin'crazy shlt that should be illegal.
Flag
So basically everything they showed in the commercial was the only thing worth watching, this show has so much potential and I just keep giving it the eye roll. Each week all you have to do is watch the last ten minutes for any particular plot advancement, fingers crossed for the finale.
Flag
Ugh, this episode felt so much like a rehash of everything we've seen (except that plane crash, that was appallingly bad effects, that was like an animatic or something), similar beats to the midseason break.

I don't buy that this episode answered Red's true motives at all, this felt like maybe half of the answer, or a smokescreen for real motives. Red's plan is to free him from attacks so that he can go to jail? Naw, that is a silly risk and just seems so thin.

I didn't have a problem with the teaser, surprised you called both those issues out. They felt like they fit the tone to me, the guy is a regular guy and has regular guy reactions, the editing was trying to heighten the fear of the unknown feeling of the scenario.

Love that John Glover wasn't a bad guy here, he's awesome in most any role.
Flag
James Spader makes the show. Really Megan Boone is really getting to the point. Of warming up as well as Diego Klatenoff. But feel that Ryan Eggold's Tom won't make it past the second season or half of it. Feel like he will be a goner since going rogue. Know Tom was bad from the pilot in the get go. Hope I am not the only one that noticed this.
Flag
I hope not. To me it seems like Tom has been made as character number 3 in order of importance before Ressler.
Flag
We have a fun post on the question if Lizzy's wig should be credited in the community section. Check it out and vote what you think.

Hey @BelleForrest, @jennifermitch5 and @GreyMinerva, you are the big posters in the community but I missed your comments on my post.
Flag
*snickers, ducks head and runs
Flag
"...We're Stuck With Each Other".
Say it aint so.
Flag
Call me crazy.... but after watching the episode again, and replaying the scene with Berlin on the plane over and over and over just to hear his voice. "Give me the key!" sounds just like.... Anslo Garrick? That man sounds just like Anslo Garrick. Are we sure that was really Anslo dead on the floor when Cooper and the task force arrive at the end of the Anslo Garrick episode? Could he have survived Red's scissor attack and someone substituted someone else's body in his place? I know... sounds crazy. Crazy enough to be the reason they hid his face under that hood?

Also... did Tom have a nose bleed when he was talking to that Spider guy? Looked like blood was coming out of his nostril at the end of that scene when he was admiring the tattoo.
Flag
Don't know about the nosebleed but know I wanna check. But that could of just been from a smack in the face.

That would be so awesome if AG survived.
Flag
James Spader is magnificant and makes this show work with his nuanced performance. But frankly Megan Boone needs to improve a lot in her emoting and show a better range of expressions. She seems wooden at times and that's jarring to see. Also, can u please not put up such huge pics of her with the review all the time. You seem to be overtly obsessed with her with all the pics mostly focusing on her.
Flag
This show has been getting better and better all season so even though this wasn't the best, I still enjoyed it. However, Lizzie can be quite annoying in her disdain for Reddington. I know I'm supposed to sympathise with her, but she's making that difficult!
Flag
Writing was kind of sloppy in this one , specially the dialogues . Completely agree with the poor CGIed burning plane , it was so lame . Lizzie it's like a ping pong ball she can't last more than one episode without switching aliances . Nevertheless some of the silliness of some plots the larger picture is still strong in this show and it works , that is what keeps the show going forward but in my opinion lot of changes must be made next season , or the show won't get a season 3 . Lizzie needs to build some character and she has to be in her own side instead of being on Red or Tom or the FBI's side .
Flag
Berlin is going to be Lizzie's father, which is why Red keeps her close (leverage)?
Flag
I think the biggest twist reveal of the ep has to be about Sam. Up until now, we sympathized with this character, who died in mercy killing by Red, who was probably a good man taking care of Lizzie all those years. We assumed that when he said, "I've got to tell her the truth" that he meant Lizzie must know the truth of either Red, or her own identity.

But Tom took notes about Sam, and handed the info onto Berlin. Why? Because he is significant link to all of this. Sam may have been a spy, working alongside Red (the show had hinted). I believe the bulk of Tom's notes were about the cases she was working on, as well as about Sam, because he isn't who we think he is (a la show tagline). Perhaps Red killed Sam before he could tell Lizzie the truth about HIMSELF.

Lizzie may not know everything about Sam at this point, but Red did ask her if she found something interesting about him. It's because there is something to be found that would be "interesting", and if we haven't learned from this show, the interesting is always deadly.
More+
Flag
The reason Red asked her if she found out about Sam was because that was what compelled her to try to save Red, obviously she had some reason to change her mind about himRed and Sam
, to some degree. The clue was when he gave her the file on Tom he mentioned that it was mostly about her. So if the information it contained could , probably, only have come from Sam, so she now knew that Tom and Sam had a connection.. Therefore, she knew Sam was involved, that is why she said she still didn't forgive Red for killing Sam. (why else would she have to emphasize that she still didn't forgive Red for sam's death)
Flag
Huh, that would be interesting if Tom was in cohoots with Sam.
Flag
I think most of your thoughts are suppositions. It still doesn't explain why Red asked her, "Did you find something interesting about Sam?" Yes, Tom's notes were mostly about her, but it wasn't a diary where he spewed his feelings about her, especially as the recipient is Berlin. The information relayed were facts, his findings about Liz, and now we know, Sam. And I'm betting that Tom didn't simply describe how friendly his "father in law" was, but rather, his notes contained some significant information about Sam.
Flag
Really looking forward to the finale.
Flag
I really enjoyed Liz playing a little trick on the scientist who created the virus (Vogel), giving him a little taste of his own medicine. She gave him the virus, to force him to reveal the names of his victims. That was very clever and I didn't expect that. I especially didn't expect something so devious from Liz. That's something I would expect Red to do. Well done.

I absolutely love James Spader's scenes. He is really showing us Red at this most vulnerable time, believing that he has lost Liz, and fighting to get her back. I hope that puts to rest any doubt that he really does care for her very much,or that he is just using her. In that last scene, it almost seemed as if Red was telling Liz that it didn't matter what fate was in store for him, incarceration, persecution or death. The only thing important to him, was Liz being part of his life.

So there were good scenes to balance out the disappointment. Hopefully next week will be better.

Flag
Okay you said earlier that we see Tom as more evil from the episode but couldn't you claim that what Liz did as worse? That's torture.
Flag
Well that reminds me of the episode where Meera tortures someone with a leg injury (can't recall who that was...) but she said something about there being a difference between FBI and CIA and what they could get away with. By the book protocol went out the window when Liz pulled that little stunt in this episode, not sure how she got away with that. But I thought it was great. A little rogue is better than goody two shoes any day.
Flag
I'm sure you'd be thinking the opposite if you were the one arrested.

I personally think law enforcement usually play too much with being above the law.

And I would also love to see a show/movie where they do everything above board.
Flag
This would be such a good show if they turned it into a 13-episode arch by surgically removing ALL unnecessary parts.
Flag
The same could be said for Citizen Kane, Casablanca and any other artistic output.
Not to say Blacklist is in the same league but I'll take an unaltered Blacklist over almost any other Network show.
Flag
I'd say its way better than Casablanca.
Flag
There were several enjoyable elements to last nights episode (like the mad scientist who is brilliant, seeing Tom again), but I'm afraid this episode was a let down. You mean to tell me that the BIG reveal promised in the preview is that Liz finally finds out that Red is using the criminals (and the information that comes along with them) for his own purpose? Is that it? We already knew that! From the very beginning of the season, we saw how Red got the vicap number from Wujing, bargained with Cooper for access to Vicap, etc etc. We already know Gina had involvement with Tom, that Red wanted the list of clients from the Alchemist and from the Undertaker and that he was looking for Lucy. I kept waiting for something new, anything new. Argh. Nothing new here.

So the big shock is not that we as viewers find out something new, it's that LIZ finally figures out something new? Anticlimatic.

Also, not that I want someone to die, but didn't the producers say we would be crying after both episodes? Granted that the scenes between Red and Liz were really good and long anticipated (why doesn't Red just tell Liz that he loves her?)... but something was definitely missing last night.

I hope next week provides the big punch a season finale is supposed to deliver.

More+
Flag
Just stop watching the promos and you'll be in a happier world.
Flag
Yes, the writing of this ep. was puzzling. It seemed like the writers/producers tinkered with the ep at the last minute, and changed some things around to create bigger impact of the finale ep. It just felt like a elongated set up for the finale.

I suppose the big reveal was that Liz finally figured out that everything is connected. We, as the audience, is privvy to that info, but not the characters. Yet it just seems like a huge waste of time to drag the audience through the process. Because we are already in the know, the scene was not that exciting.
Flag

Oh yeah. John Glover often does play they crazy too so I wouldn't say its a step away from the usual. But I certainly do miss him in a constant character capacity.
Flag
The thing that always bothered me about Berlin is the evidence. Its a burned piece of paper that conveniently has the word Berlin.Not only that there is nothing around the word as if its a header. And as a person who burns paper a lot, the burn looks unnatural.
What would have been great id if they just salvaged something like a food tasting guide that just happened to be in the trash with the valuable stuff that did get burned.
Flag
Ok, this is my first time commenting on tv.com, but I couldn't keep away this time. I don't know if you hate spoilers and such in the comments, but feel free to hate me if thats the case.

I believe I know who Berlin is (Actor-wise anyways) and where he is from, DUN DUN DUUUH!!

First off, The Voice is identical to that of Swedish actor Peter Stormare, who some of you may know, he has been in plenty of movies and such... The only TV show that springs to mind is Prison Break, he got his hand chopped of in the first season and I'm not sure how long he survived.

Secondly, Berlin is, apart from being the name of Germany Capital (as you know), a last-name sometimes used i Sweden, not common, but not unheard of either.
Personally I hope that the big-bad evil dude is in fact a Swede in the Blacklist seeing as I am one myself. And any publicity is good publicity. Heja Sverige!

Interesting sidenote, I have some difficulty remembering any other Swedish Villains in American TV/Movies other than that dude from Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol.

So like I said earlier, if you feel I have wronged you by possibly spoiling some minor details, feel free to dislike me, otherwise have a continuously good day!

More+
Flag
Also Peter Stormare is credited as playing the part of "Figure" in the episode, I know that Stormare isn't exactly a huge name but he's definately a cut above the typical bit part actor doing nameless role types. So yeah, he's definately Berlin
Flag
Also, I'm cool with action-y shows on broadcast television, but if you can't shoot down a plane convincingly or without laughable CGI, just don't do it. You're not achieving anything with mediocre visual effects.

Uh OUAT thrives on real shltty CGI . So do a lot of movies. When will pep realise that puppets and old school effects look so much more real.
Flag
Can someone explain why the FBI was thought Liz quiting violates Red's immunity agreement. Liz's presence on the task force was Red's condition, not the FBI. Its like Red's demand that he gets two bodyguards. He's been down one guard for a while now, did that violate the agreement? Red wasn't threatening to leave. The fact that Cooper didn't have that conversation with Red about altering his terms bothered me. If he refused, then what they did made sense. Cooper should have at least made a token effort to keep the task force in place.
Flag
oh and yes nice point that the FBI have been off on their side of the deal without bodyguard 2.
Flag
I don't understand why Liz quitting would affect Red's agreement with the FBI either, unless it was just because Walter Gary Martin shut Cooper down for good: no Liz, no Red, so no task force? I have to watch that scene again. But you are right Jennifermitch5, that agreement was with the Justice Department and Liz was brought in afterwards.

Maybe it was just a plot device, making Liz and Red's last scene together more dramatic. She was rushing in at the last minute to "rescue" Red. It seemed Liz did not realize that by her quitting, it meant Red would be held in a box again indefinitely.
Flag
Isn't it because Red will only comply with LIz?
Flag
I really liked the point you made about what this show appears to want to be...I mean, I debated keeping it on my DVR and watching next week as a two hour movie because I sort of anticipated that nothing would really happen.

I sort of wish we had seen more of that other FBI agent, even if it was delivering thinly veiled threats to Cooper, because I kind of forgot he existed. I also kind of wondered how Cooper et al determined that the case was over and then so how Keen's resignation should be submitted when while the bad guy was caught, it was clear his bad actions had not been stopped.

I did roll my eyes at the towel over Berlin's head, I mean leave the black bag on. But then he sort of seemed like a bit of a bumbler - i.e, no one who is Red's real adversary would be disturbed enough to drop the keys. I also guess I find it interesting that Berlin is actually only No. 8. I think what might have been a better choice would have been to just have a bunch of prisoners in the back, have the pilot freak out trying to get directions and just try and figure it out (he didn't seem to be actually trying to land the plane). Heck, then you could have one of the prisoners who was more in shadow move to the back of the plane (and have the POV be the pilot's mirror (if there is a rear view, you could just insert one) and either jump out or something. Then you have a mystery and a bad ass. Now...I don't know, I think Tom might be more of one.
More+
Flag
I am very excited for the season finale. The Blacklist is the only new show that I regularly followed this season and I have enjoyed all the episodes so far. James Spader is definitely in a class of his own. What struck me about this episode was I felt like I got to know some of the other characters a little bit better. Ressler, in particular, seems to be letting his guard down a little when it comes to Lizzie. I thought last night's plotline was a little less sophisticated but the hour flew by quickly. Another thing that stood out was Megan Boone's acting. I know some of have accused her of being a bit wooden at times (though I actually always thought her demeanor fit the character), but I thought this was her strongest episode to date.
Flag
I agree. Her acting fits her character. I like that she is wooden and not bubbly.
Flag
meh.
on the + side : Agent Keene getting ruthless in her interrogations.
Flag
  • You did sum it up for me with 'I loved how the show felt like we needed a scene where Lizzie explained her logic for leaving so the other people on the task force could express understanding, as if they're actual characters and not just exposition-deliverers. ' - The Blacklist feels very clanky at the moment as if it is reminding you all the time you are watching a TV show. Moments that are supposed to feel affecting (like those sympathy-for-Lizzie moments) or funny (Red bonding with yet another weirdo genius over some party in Litchenstein) do not feel genuine. Not sure if it is the acting (I can't watch Boone's acting anymore without finding problems with it) or clumsy editing or lazy writing but it is definitely poor execution because the story seems to be getting interesting again
  • Re: Berlin being a person, it has been telegraphed at nauseam that it would be a person or am I wrong? Like for at least 3 eps to me it was hinted and not in a subtle manner...
  • On the (tiny) positive side, it was nice to see Glover... He was so great in Smallville!
More+
Flag
I didn't get the part in liz and red's convo abt when he said -now you understand abt sam ..... or something like it. i was like hun? what? what did she understand? bec all i saw her was spreading out case files on the floor and boom! thats the whole season's mystery ?

why are they wasting james spader? liz this.... liz that.... someone just shoot liz and have red plan world domination .... that should be fun to watch. cooper and liz are both useless. i just sniggered when liz said red wanted full force of F.B.I. esp with the over emphasis. over acting
btw, what has the f.b.i. done to save red till now. he pretty much saved himself and others during garrick.

kessler gets to be bearable some times .... malik and aram are actually interesting but they dont really get screentime.

Flag
I think he asks what she found out about Sam, implying that there is something for her to learn, but I don't think Liz found out anything. I think the ultimate explanation for why Red felt he had to kill Sam to prevent Liz from learning the "truth" is that at that point Liz was still married to Tom. Whatever she learned she would have shared it with him and Red was afraid it would make it back to Berlin and put Liz in danger.
Flag
I don't think Liz learned everything yet, either. She must have finally realized that Red knows all the answers to the questions she has always had about her own life, and about Sam, how he came to adopt her. Liz knows the only person still alive to tell her the truth, is Red. She can't just walk away from him now.

Hopefully there is something in the file Red gave her that will better explain why Red had to kill Sam, so that Liz will understand, and start to forgive Red. Maybe it has something to do with Tom, and Liz will figure it out in next week's episode.
Flag
The problem is the procedural stuff, like one case a mission. They should have never have made the show about the FBI but making Reddington the main character but he seeks Lizzie out for whatever reason but in the end her dying and Reddington going after world domination.
Flag
The FBI is the reason for resources that isnt just money and makes the stuff legit.
Flag
I know but it still blows. Too many cops show. Imagine following Reddington when he plays the puppeteer of crimes (and sometimes agent or soldier) on an international scale.
Flag
So, best case scenario, Tom cuts a huge patch of skin off the face of some poor schmuck who was just given a name and some cash to follow him. Most likely, he straight up murdered him. His boss, a single man not an organization, is MORE cunning and MORE ruthless than Red. Where's the part that convinces him he's "one of the good guys"?

I'm kinda at the point where I'd like to see Liz shoot him in the face. Mostly because he's a dick, but partly because I don't want to drag out the ex-husband betrayl story line for ever.
Flag
I'm with you about Tom. At this point, it would be more gratifying for the audience that Tom gets it in his face. The writers have written him to be ruthless, sick, and unlikely character to root for. I wanted him to stick around for that adversarial bada**, but this ep really cemented the Tom fatigue. And I'm glad this ep didn't deal with "does he love Liz" melodramatic fangirl crap.
Flag
I'm glad this ep didn't deal with "does he love Liz" melodramatic fangirl crap

The sooner that drops off the face of the planet the better because it has to be one of the most obnoxious and insulting story arcs I've seen in some time. That any notion of Tom feeling "actual" love towards Liz still exists after the previous episode is absurd.

Now, if they're going to travel down the path of Tom actually being legitimately deluded into think that he both loves Liz AND is actually a good guy...that might be fun, well, until she shoots him in the face.

As much as I'd like to see Tom's arc end in the finale, I think it's going to be a re-occurring arc through most if not all of next season.
Flag
THANK YOU MARCUSJ1973...finally a voice of reason!! Thank you so not drinking that krazy koolaid that's been passed around, SERIOUSLY. I wouldn't change A THING about your post above.

I'm hoping that the writers will treat the viewers with respect and common sense, and DROP THIS NONSENSE. It may be great for ratings, but all this fangirl shtick is ridiculous. It makes the character more ingratiating, and for the integrity of the show, please kill him off. That would be the best respectful send-off for the character, rather than relegating him to this inane retarded romance subplot.
Flag
While I'm not up to date on every show currently on TV, I'd rank Tom and Liz at or near the top of most toxic relationships going. Fitz and Olivia from Scandal and Jaime and Cerci from GoT MIGHT be the only two who can give them some competition. That by itself is fine, not every character is a good person. But I can't recall seeing this many apologists, for a secondary character, on a rookie show. I don't get it. Tom, by any definition, is a scumbag. Period. End of story.

If he's some sort of top lieutenant in Berlin's organization, I can MAYBE see keeping him around a little while longer. But if he were a top lieutenant, I can't imagine him being given this assignment. He's a couple levels above that schmuck with the spider tattoo he skinned and now that the secret is out, he's not all that interesting. Since I'm not seeing what value he brings to the show now that Berlin is in town...a bullet to the face would be nice.

If he isn't killed, I can only pray that some of the folks around here can get over their fangirl moon eyes.
More +
Flag
As a supporter of Tom caring for Liz, I agree with your last sentiments. I don''t think it should be addressed at all until next session because right now Tom is in more of a desperate situation and that should be foremsost on his mind. Plus, I think it would be better wrting should it not be necessarily readily apparent, at least for quite awhile,. Therefore be along the same vein of questions that we still have for Red and his association with Liz.

And hey you can be a bad ass and still be a great family member. And you definitely can kill and still be a good guy.
Not to mention words like "hero" and "good guy" is all in the eye of the beholder. There are many a hero out there that slaughtered many and are considered a national if not world treasure.
Flag
As a supporter of Tom caring for Liz...

And hey you can be a bad ass and still be a great family member. And you definitely can kill and still be a good guy.

Yes, you can. Though I think it's awfully tough to be a bad ass TOWARDS your family members and still be considered a good guy. If I had a family member who beat me up and stuck a gun in my face because I confronted them over being used and manipulated me for two years...I'm not sure I'd call that a good family member. Especially if they were not only completely unapologetic, but apathetic if not proud of their deceit.

I'm willing to say that there are women in shelters who have/had husbands who's level of caring seems genuine compared to Tom.
Flag
Sorry Kou_Shun_U but I'm not understanding any of that...not even a little.

"She was happy with Tom until she figured it out."

Using that kind of reasoning, prior to the truth coming out, Tiger Woods was one of the best husbands ever.

"Its all about the degree of caring."

Right, and as far as psychotic killer deep cover spys go, Tom isn't too bad a guy. But any measure other than the absolute worst human beings on the planet, calling what Tom had done any level of caring seems ludicris.

"Also Tom did give her a chance to confront him."

OR, he had to confirm he was blown before walking away from a 2 year operation. But, that's all interpretation.

"As for omitting the truth about his other job, so would she."

So, keeping job secrets when working at the FBI and keeping job secrets when working for an international criminal enterprise...same thing?

"Oh as for women in shelters. Yeah there are a lot of guys out there who can look genuine and think they are genuine. But they don't regret giving the women the action hand when they think they are out of line or think they deserve it. And more so they do it repeadidly."

Exactly. Tom looks genuine and thinks he's a "good guy". BUT, he showed absolutely zero regret, contrition or empathy when confronted. Unlike a husband who's mentally or emotionally abusive when they drink, Tom's abuse, according to him, started from their very first date and was "locked in" from their 4th.

Honestly, I'm amazed at the "he's not THAT bad" excuse making.
More +
Flag
Oh as for women in shelters. Yeah there are a lot of guys out there who can look genuine and think they are genuine. But they don't regret giving the women the action hand when they think they are out of line or think they deserve it. And more so they do it repeadidly.
Flag
She was happy with Tom until she figured it out.
And he was fighting for his life. It seemed as if he took the way of least damage to her. He could have easily beat the shlt out of her.

And hey, I'm not saying Liz has to return the feelings especially after feeling so betrayed. And I'm also not saying Tom doesn't value himself over all others. Its all about the degree of caring.

Also Tom did give her a chance to confront him. He mentioned seeing her at the museum point blank and she decided not to.

As for omitting the truth about his other job, so would she. As an FBI agent, she wouldn't be able to tell him about her work much either.

Flag
ahahahaaha...this is the best. Spot on.
Flag
For everything you said here, I'm really hoping they kill off Tom.
Flag
You saw how Tom admired the tattoo. Clearly he sent it Red as a sugestion for buddy tattoos.
Flag
Yes, I'm still looking forward to the finale, if just to see how this season ends.

Seriously, a DC3 as prison transport? And a fighter jet fires a rocket (presumably heat-seeker) and all that happens is the engine catches fire? That airplane would fall out of the sky in thousands of pieces after being hit by a modern anti-aircraft missile and everyone inside would be dead.
Instead of this redicoulus stuff and the 1990's CGI they should have come up with a different plot.
Flag
Also they tend to get touchy about shooting down planes over densley populated areas, sure you've killed the really dangerous prisoner that's trying to escape which is good news but that apartment block that the plane crashed into killing a couple of hundred innocent civilians, that's a PR nightmare.
Flag
LOL. Details... not really important. ;-)
Flag
Not terrible but the whole plane scenario was stupid. If they had someone on the plane willing to kill the co-pilot why didn't he just hand "Berlin" a parachute and save them the trouble of taking over an airport. Also, there was no reason to hide the guys face. He isn't an established character we know, so hiding his face serves no purpose.
Flag
What was really stupid was firing the missile over NYC. What if the DC9 had crashed into the Chrysler building?

"And now it begins." Yeah, no kidding!
Flag
I know! I know I was wondering about parachutes the whole time. And really do you need to do so much to get airport access? That's why private planes and airfields are for. Otherwise travel by a less supervised transport.
Flag
For some reason when Liz's father was mentioned in the blacklist connection I thought that he either faked his death or he actually was never the person Liz thought were there.

It's annoying though how poor the writing is during the situations when Liz ask questions to Reddington and he just sits there quitly then immediately jumps to a new subject that no one but him cares about. Liz should have threatened with suicide if he didn't start speaking the truth considering he seem to value her life more than anything else.
Flag
I care about the subjects he cares about. It provides insights to his character by what as happened to him , how he sees the world, and what he feels about the person he is speaking to. Its usually his sadness/regret shining through and wanting to get emotions across without actually saying so.
Flag
Unless we have met him....and/or know him by another name NOT Germany capital. That way the "face" reveal will be HUGE!
Flag
Good thought, but I doubt it. Berlin seems to have been stuck as a prisoner somewhere. I does make me wonder how he was communicating his "doubts" to Jolene from prison and why everyone is so afraid of him. I think they were just creating "suspense".
Flag
It's because it's Grindewald from Numenguard.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members