A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)
Wow.

So that all happened.

Ok. So this week, they kind of upped the tempo - and the ante - just a little. But there were still a lot of the key ingredients from last weeks show in there as well;
Keen being clever, Red being protective, and surprisingly, Agent Stick-up-his-behind being rather quick and clever. Me like!

Keen keeps digging into the mystery-that-is-her-husband, this time sneaking a peek in the FBI archives. It probably wouldn't work that way IRL, but for plot purposes, I'm buying it. It didn't net her much, but it DID give her a date and a place, which is a lot more than she had before.

Red demonstrated how much freedom he has, being in Haiti delivering missiles or some such to one of his clients before hoofing it back to the good old US of A when it turns out that Keen's lost witness (and case) is connected to something of interest to him, a.k.a. our case of the week: The Stewmaker.

The Stewmaker made a good villain - we got to see more of him than of most of our previous targets, and he was a pretty creepy bad guy. Like in the other cases, we were never given too many details on him, mostly a vague list of crimes and in this case, a very vague (but tragic) backstory. That works for me - the story and focus isn't on the target-of-the-week, they're just the rationale for putting Red and Keen in the same room and digging into their backstories and motivations.

Special Agent Ressler really had a chance to shine this week - so far, we've just been treated to stuffy, suspicious, angry Ressler - this week, he finally got to show us that he CAN be something else: When Red put him on the spot (he DID sort of warn him, though), he rolled with it and came up with a pretty clever backstory on the spot, playing it well, smooth and confident. :)
I've never really liked the character, but after this scene, he kind of started growing on me. :D

Keen-in-danger did pretty well too, following the playbook by trying to make the killer see her as a person, making it harder to kill her, trying to profile him and working on his emotions. Unfortunately, it didn't work quite as well as she hoped, but she's not one to sit back and wait for events to unfold, and turned to the alternative strategy of bashing him upside the head and making a run for it - good girl!

They all come together at the end, after some very clever detective-and-acting work by Red, and we get a very interesting scene were he REALLY gets to show us more of who he is.
He reveals the tragic backstory of the villain, showing insight and empathy, yet doesn't hesitate to exact his vengeance in a very cruel and thorough manner. When Keen accuses him of being a monster, he doesn't hesitate to acknowledge that.
Yet he saved her life - again - and put an end to a very, very dangerous criminal - so she keeps her mouth shut about his actions once more.
Keen is clearly willing to accept that sometimes, the end justifies the means, but that is a very slippery slope, especially around a consummate anti-hero like Reddington.

In the end, we're left with a clue to Red's past - the picture of a dead girl, retrieved from the Stewmaker's trophy collection - daughter? Lover? The picture is dated December 1990 - the year that Keen claims there was a fire that gave her the scar on her palm.
I don't think Red's age has been mentioned, but the murder victim COULD probably be his daughter; it's difficult to tell her age from the pic. Either way, she was presumably someone he cared about, and lost.

And Keen realizes that she and her Tom were actually "coincidentally" right near the time-and-place she was able to glean from the criminal case related to the gun hidden under their floorboards - just one more nail in the coffin of her denial. Clearly, Tom is involved in SOMETHING, not just an innocent pawn or patsy.

Memorable moments:
- when Red revealed the Stewmaker's backstory; it seemed to resonate with him, making you wonder if it was close to his own; is HE just waiting for someone to stop him, put him down?
- our lovely CIA-agent Malik playing hardball with the drug lord, threatening him with Homeland security. I LIKE her. :D
- Red's obfuscating answer (which must drive her mad) when the same agent asked him how he got to the crime scene before the FBI-team: "That's a pretty blouse". :D
Comments (22)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular

Did anybody notice the Manhunter references in this one. The killer is played by Tom Noonan, is shown wearing false teeth at the beginning and is later revealed to be employed as a dentist.
Flag
i absolutely love this show and make sure to watch every episode every week. I love how James Spader plays Raymond Reddington and although the plot can come across as confusing and leaves us with more and more questions i think it has been very well thought of and made. I honestly don't believe that red is Elizabeths father although its clear he cares about her and is protective of her i believe he knew her father in some way perhaps a friend or a brother? I'm looking forward to the finale very much and maybe finally getting some answers to the ongoing questions!
Flag
Love this show, welcome back to tv James Spader, he is brilliant as usual.
I think Red as her dad is to obvious, maybe an uncle, paternal.....Also i do not trust the husband, he is lying i'm sure...think he knew she sound the box, she's been pretty obvious, he played it well and now knows where she works...ummm
Flag
is it only me that thinks that keen is reddingtons daughter??????
hes very protective of her and he only speaks to her....does anyone else think that or is it only me?????? i love his character... hes great :)))
Flag
If you read the different reviews and comment threads, you'll see that a lot of viewers/fans think that he MAY be her father, the writers certainly try to HINT that he's her father, but it's a bit too obvious and there's a lot of inconsistencies.
(She's apparently the daughter of a career criminal who left her and her mother - Reddington was a perfect officer being groomed for Admiral before he suddenly disappeared and reappeared as a master criminal, etc., etc.)

A lot of us thinks there's SOME connection between them, just not that of father-daughter. Perhaps he knew her father, perhaps he killed her father, or her father caused him to become a criminal, perhaps it's something from the fire where she got her scar - we just don't know enough yet.
But time will tell - and yes, we love his character too. :)
Flag
now i feel a bit stupid :)))
Flag
Uncle maybe by dead brother??
Flag
Great episode! Really hated it when lizzy got stabbed though... that was distressing
Flag
Where did you get the episode title "NO 161"? Last time I checked, the episode title was "The Stewmaker".
Flag
For "GreyMinerva": Multiple passports, money and some times a "cold" firearm are a trade craft "bug-out kit" for clandestine CIA Field Officers and special operations people who may need to "get lost" fast if their cover or employment goes south.

Flag
I know, which is why I'm not writing him off as a criminal/bad guy (of course, he could be a criminal good guy or an agent bad guy ;) ) - but as I said, it's all pointing towards HIM putting it there, rather than being framed.
Also, a gun involved in a classified action going all the way up to the Secretary of Defense hardly counts as a "cold" gun. ;)

I'm thinking Tom may be a semi-retired clandestine something-or-other - but did he accidentally fall into Keen's life, or was he placed there? Did he go on the trip to Angel Station Hotel to do a mission, or did he go there as part of his "civilian" cover and accidentally trip over a situation - perhaps protecting Keen?
Flag
Thank you "GreyMinerva" for the information on the "Angel Station Hotel". Your eyes are faster then mine.

Flag
The actor who played the "Stewmaker" made another serial killer movie years ago that I have. Scary guy. Serial killers are often like the nondescript guy next door with a family. His anal retentive signature would make him a killer of choice. They have never found Jimmy Hoffa, like other victims of serial killers roaming our country side. "Red" makes an excellent character. FBI Special Investigators are "investigators" and not known for sticking their necks out for anyone. If they knew a master criminal like Red it would be by chance, not by design. Only in the CIA could such a relationship exist. But it makes for a good show!
Flag
I am a true conspiracy theorist (self proclaimed) :). I'm starting to believe that Lizzie meeting her husband was all orchestrated (however many years ago) and it always had to do with Reddington. Still haven't figured out who is on the picture Reddington took out of the album though...
Flag
Was looking up something, and found out The Blacklist is going down the Law & Order road -- stories ripped from the headlines!

Here is Santiago Meza being arrested in 2009, also known as 'El Pozolero,' or

'The Stew Maker' for killing and disposing of over 300 bodies.
Flag
another great episode - one comment on the villain - page take out of Dexter mixed with breaking bad ))) although the red bath tub did not melt.

Anyway - I got a little confused at the end, can someone explain what Keene actually realised after reading the brochure - i must of missed something out?
Flag
The hotel where she and her husband stayed in Boston - on the very date mentioned in the classified FBI-file - was called "Angel Station Hotel", i.e. probably the "Angel Station" which was the PLACE mentioned on the file...
Bringing more weight to the theory that Tom is very much involved in something (most likely criminal, or possibly super-secret-agent'y) rather than just being set up by someone placing stuff under their floorboards.
Flag
aaaa now makes sense . thank you
Flag
It surprises me how much freedom Red actually has. I know he made a sweetheart of a deal with the feds but come on. He's still able to fly to foreign countries and sell weapons? Seems fishy to me... lol
And the Stewmaker was creepy as hell. That guy freaked me out.
I was glad they gave Ressler something more to do this week. It would be nice to have some other fleshed out characters on the show.
Flag
Honestly so far I think the whole Red backstory has been kind of vague and suspicious - the easiest explanation is that the extremely beautiful Keen is his daughter, but then the photo he took at the end added a lot of doubt to that thought. I'm honestly glad that Red isn't a sappy-cliche bad-guy-turned-good - the fact that he dumped the Stewmaker in the end earned him a lot of respect...and fear. I can't wait to see what he does next :D
Flag
I was thinking he wouldn't do it but then: "...wow..."
Red is a great character is good to see that we got a new Anti-hereo to replace the ones we lost this summer.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    The Bachelorette
    NEW
    ABC
  • 10:00 pm
    Mistresses Blurred Lines
    NEW
    ABC