A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)
Too much, too soon.

Ok. I didn't quite see that coming.
So - Keen's husband confronted HER.
And she called the FBI - or rather, the not-FBI that she's now working for.
I have to admit, I'm a bit confused - yes, it's a joint taskforce, yes, they hang out in weird black sites, but I thought it was still an FBI operation.
Apparently, not so much.

Anyway - much confusion ensued. And some illogical twists and turns. And some sneaky bits, and some backstabbing, and a lot of dubious statements and testimonies all around.
The short version:
Keen takes her husband in to be questioned. Everybody questions her loyalty. She runs to Red, to cry bitter tears on his comforting shoulder. Well, maybe not literally, but, you know - in essence.
Red tells her to go find Gina Zanetakos, a modern day corporate terrorist-slash-assassin, because she can provide more answers about Tom.
Gina is a gung ho, kickass chick who likes to blow things up, and doesn't mind killing dads who are going to be Very Late for picking up their kids from their piano lessons.
THAT's how bad she is.
And she takes down Agent Ressler (who has a shiny new stick up his *** again), which was pretty cool.

With continued help from Red - telling his favourite little not-so-FBI Agent that Gina is really Tom's lover - being All There for poor, grieving, confused Keen, they track down the bombmaker who built the bomb Gina is trying to smuggle into the US, and convince him to give her a call. They follow the lead and manage to corner Gina, only to have Ressler shoot her "just because" she was trying to strangle Keen at the time.
Come on, man, show some restraint!
Because NOW they have a dirty bomb set to go off somewhere in the US in a matter of hours, no way to prove that Mr. Keen is innocent, and a seriously pissed Agent Keen to deal with.

Our female heroine shows off her brainiac powers again by remembering Red's phone conversation from earlier in the episode, cleverly (almost supernaturally so,) piecing together the puzzle and figuring out where the car-that-is-a-bomb is hidden.
To the rescue!
Ressler redeems himself somewhat by driving the Nuke!Mobile into the harbour in order to "contain the blast", diving out of the car at the last moment and saving the Free World as we know it.
Or Houston, at least.

Gina survives, confesses to the mystical murder of the Russian defector at the Angel Station hotel that Tom was suspected of committing, claims no knowledge of him, and points at RED as the man who hired her to take out the target.
Keen, who has spent the episode wailing and weeping in Red's supportive arms (ok, still figuratively, but they DID hold hands at one point!), explodes all over him (hello, it's just been a few episodes since he reminded her that ALL CRIMINALS LIE, and now, just because he said "You can always trust me" you're going to do that?!?), and goes home with her beau for some much needed cuddle-time.
But not before he recognizes a picture of some Mystery Man from the task force white board as another piece in the puzzle, leaving us a) even more confused, and b) even more convinced that he was set up, not just "accidentally at the wrong place at the wrong time".

And our mystery surveillance team finished off the episode by stating that Tom was NOT working for Red, which made THEM even more confused as to WHO he was working for. But they seemed pretty certain he WAS working for SOMEONE...

Phew.
Take a deep breath. Count to ten. And see if your brain is trying to leak out through your ears right now.
I know mine is.
That was just a bit too much plot, packed together in a more than slightly confusing manner.
I was seriously expecting them to draw out the Tom-plot more, but instead they drove it forward-and-through - he's been interrogated and reseached, the FBI cleared him - but the surveillance team (and Red) still want us to believe that he's involved in something sinister.

Items of interest:
- The box Keen found at Gina's place seemed completely identical to Tom's hidden stash. Did the same person make them? Did the same person teach them to keep one?
- There's a giant plot surrounding the murder at the Agent Station hotel - I can actually buy that Red ordered the hit (the moment Gina started talking about the defector messing up shipments...), but why go to such trouble to make sure Tom was there, and who was the Mystery Man posing as the school's representative running the job interview?
- Tom didn't seem eager to have Keen call in the FBI to clear him, but he didn't seriously try to stop her either - IS he innocent (I doubt it ;) ) or was he just that sure that his cover would hold?
- Red's trustworthiness - do we buy it? Sure, he seems to want to protect Keen from lethal dangers, but he's also using their "partnership" to further his own financial agenda, and we don't know if his stories surrounding Tom are true, a version of the truth, or complete fabrication.
I'm going with the middle option - I think Tom's hinky, but not necessarily the way Red presents it. And, of course, my biggest weakness: I WANT to believe Red, because he's too cool to be all bad. ;)

All in all - utterly confused by this episode (may need to watch again), but still looking forward to watching the plot unfold!
Comments (40)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Do any body think that Fbi agent Restler is a undercover criminal...did anybody notice he always let the person get away...or he shot gina on purpose. ..or he could have got those people out the court room quicker...it was a twisty tie on the door not locks and chains...and he's alway trying to get keen in trouble. ..it something about him
Flag
I'm not saying he isn't a suspicious-looking kind of character, but as far as the courtroom in episode 7 goes, he COULDN'T let them out; he could hear the screams, he knew they were already infected, so opening the door would mean releasing the virus/contagion into the entire building, potentially infecting and killing more innocent people.
Flag
I totally agree with raypeve. I've been thinking that for the last few episodes. I can't see him caring that much for anyone else. Not sure what he has against Keen's hubby though. But it surely seems like protective fatherly instinct to.
Flag
My thoughts the reason why red picked agent Keene. He is her father and she doesn't know it.
Flag
But it seems too obvious. :/ I agree they're making it LOOK that way, but I think it's just an attempt to throw us off the scent - there's more (I HOPE!) to the story than that.
Flag
Did I miss the part where they show Tom discovering the box? Agent Keen (can't think of her first name) discovered the box when cleaning blood off the floor. How did Tom discover the box?
Flag
We don't know, he just confronted her with it when she came home at the end of the last episode.
Flag
Easily my favorite episode so far. I personally didn't find it to be Too Much Too Fast at all. I'm glad it was so dense, too many of the new shows are soooo decompressed it's annoying. I do wish they'd realize plot-holes are in the script that these "trained agents" should notice, so denseness of characters=bad, but denseness of plot=good :) and while we didn't get anymore answers than we got new questions it upped the stakes in all the interpersonal relationships in great ways (will make it all the more interesting when we find out the truth, bout Keene's husband).
Oh and btw Gina wasn't just strangling Liz she was about to knife her, so yeah Ressler is sooo in the wrong to shoot her lol jk [though actually except for the immediacy of partner's about to get stabbed and strangled to death, you'd think he'd know a way to shoot her non-lethally, like in a knee or something...idk]
Flag
Yeah, I know, he wasn't ALL wrong - it's just that as you say, I would have thought he was competent enough to risk a non-lethal shot first, or to run over and kick her in the head...
Flag
Sad that the writers write themselves into corners like this "we need her unable to be questioned until the coda of the ep" that lead to head-scratchingly incompetent character decisions; if only the writers were better at their jobs (I'm speaking generally, not in particular against Blacklist; ALL the new shows seem to be written w/laughably bad plot-contrivances :/ hope that changes)
Flag
If Tom was innocent, how would he have known about that compartment in the floor where the box was? He would have had to get the carpeting removed or at least lifted - why would he even do that unless he had known about the compartment in the first place?

And I'm finding it hard to believe that Liz vacillates so much with regard to Red. For a criminal profiler - even a rookie - she is so, so naive. You would think she'd have a better handle on what this master criminal was going to be like.

Sigh... the best way to watch this show is really not to think too much about the gaps. I'm liking the show but I really hope they patch up the plotholes soon; the serialised 'mystery' is not gonna hold up for long otherwise.
Flag
I agree - him "accidentally" finding the box makes NO sense at all. If somebody tipped him off, wouldn't he have included that in his story to prove he was being set up? And if not, why isn't ANYBODY asking questions about it?
"So, you suddenly decided to go poking around under the floorboards because you were done grading your fourth grade papers, hmmm..?"

And I agree about Liz as well. Ok, so Red sort of maybe saved her life a couple of times, but he takes blatant advantage of their "partnership" too, and continues his criminal career without shame or apology. He's lied before, he'll lie again, and she STILL comes running to him to cry about her life and get some comfort.
I guess it says something about her life in general - she only has her husband and her work, and that leaves her absolutely NOBODY to confide in or be comforted by when they are the problem.
She's vulnerable, probably primed for a strong parental figure entering her life, and Red DOES seem to fill that role to some extent - he praises her, treats her as special, challenges and protects her; all behavior that COULD be ascribed to a real father.
More +
Flag
Loved this episode...i just didn't think it would be so dramatic with Tom and finding out, for who he works for. I still believe that he is lying...there is something about him....
Agent kessler's ass kicked by a girl this time...poor guy, every episode, his ass get's kicked....
Red and Keen, were really opposites this episode...wonder how that is going to end up...
but till now i really like The Blacklist...
Flag
I think that Tom is not so innocent after this episode but Red has an agenda so it's still not that clear for me who to trust. I am really interested how things will go next episode. I like this show so much right now it makes me feel the way I felt while I was watching Alias and that is great...
Flag
the bitch is dirty i just know it. he appears way too innocent for my taste.
Flag
The box is also very similar to Annie's in the first couple of seasons of Covert Affairs. I think it's fairly standard spycraft.
Flag
I'm always of the opinion that the person who is most convincing at seeming innocent (Tom) is usually guilty of something. For some reason, Red is trying to expose Tom as a baddie, and separate Keen from her hubbie. It could also simply be that he has a thing for her and wants her single (I know a lot of people think he's her long lost daddy, but still).
Flag
Ran across a trailer showing the first minute of the first episode, and I'm suddenly struck by how much Red's assistant then looks like the man in the picture that Tom identified as his interviewer...
Same person?
Which would confirm that Red set Tom up, wouldn't it? At least in keeping him at the hotel.
Flag
yeah, I was gonna comment on that, but you got there :) yes, that was the point it's Red's business liason-type guy who we keep seeing
Flag
I'm not very good with faces... :p
Took me a while, but I got there in the end! :)
Flag
yeah, it's the reverse for me bad at names great at faces (I didn't even remember that stick-up-his-@$$ agent's name was Ressler, except b/c u mentioned it in the review) lol
Flag
I had to look it up... ;)
Flag
I think that is supposed to be Red's assistant. That's why she stormed in on Red and said she is through. They all think Red is setting up the hubby.
Flag
I didn't even realize how much happened until my boss mentioned she fell asleep before the 10:45 mark and last remembered Gina being shot and I had to relate everything that happened and it took like fifteen minutes.

I initially was annoyed at NBC, the advertisement seemed to indicate we got answers and when you pull back..the only thing I am clear about is that Red seems to actually give a shit about what Liz thinks of him.

I am not sure why the mystery surveillance team or Red think Tom is still suspicious of things or why Red set Tom up. Like, if it was just Red, I would think it is evidence that Red is Liz's father and he just doesn't like Tom for whatever reason. But you add in the mystery surveillance team...what? I am with whoever made the argument that if Red isn't Liz's father than Liz's father is likely a person on the Blacklist that Red has never been able to get close to and I would be surprised if m.s.t. works for that person. M.S.T. is either another government group or more likely an adversary of Red's that he hasn't mentioned yet. Like, other than that m.s.t. bit, I was ready to just accept Tom was being set up by Red for some reason and that was it. Now....I just don't know.

Seriously, what is Ressler's problem, He goes to being such an ass to actually trying to be abruptly helpful, I almost wonder about him. Like, for instance, Red does seem to have another source in the government given that his underling got a phone call to tell them that Liz's husband was in custody. And given some of his interaction with Red during the Stewmaker, I am starting to suspect him. And like he knows who Liz is and just has no idea how he is supposed to interact with her. I get he should be suspicious, but, well, Cole is suspicious and he manages to be pleasant.
More+
Flag
well said and good call on the possibility of Ressler being dirty, I don't think he's actually in Red's pocket, but I think he's in someone's pocket. Which'd help explain the discrepancies in personality and general animosity (either b/c he's been told to, or b/c he's just pissed that he's in someone's pocket)
Flag
Re the box: maybe that's what bad-besties are getting nowadays instead of friendship bracelets :)
Flag
I did think, humorously of Revenge there because after all that Gina is "Amanda"
Flag
Also worth noting: This was the first episode title without a number in it.
Flag
The number was 152.
Flag
Oh! Were did you find it? I usually get the titles from right here at TV.com, but this one (and the next ep) didn't show any number. :)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members