A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 10:00 PM on NBC (Returning September 22, 2016)
This evening we will have the penultimate episode of The Blacklist. We are left with a huge number of questions that can not possibly be answered in two episodes of 42 minutes of television that are left to us. So we’re happy that it has been renewed and we hope to get all the answers we want in that second season.

We (@edshrinker and I) have a list of about 50 questions that popped in our heads and which we felt should be answered this season. But we decided not to put them up (in one post) as we didn’t want the producers to be alarmed to what we all would like to know. However, there is one that was haunting us and we would like your opinion on it:

Should the wig that Megan Boone is wearing be given credit in the opening sequence?

In the opening credit we see all that is so important to the show and there might be some reasons why the wig should be included:
  • It has been discussed over and over on the Internet over the last year giving The Blacklist much of the attention it needed;
  • It’s acting ensures we do not see how badly the acting by Megan Boone sometimes is. A comment I read said it all: “I can barely concentrate on the show due to the horrible wig”. This off course is partial because Megan is really inexperienced and partial because everyone in the series seems bleak next to the exceptional genius of James Spader. The wig saved the series;
James Spader, by the way, is (as can be read in so many comments on my post asking you If I should continue watching The Blacklist), for many the most important reason we watch the show at all.
  • Although we didn’t know for sure in the first episodes, we now know it is a series regular;
  • It has relevance to the direction of the show otherwise they would have given us her own hair or changed her hairdo during the season;
  • There have been other series where assets like castles have been included in the credits;
  • I understand that it isn’t alive, as usually defined by the ‘seven characteristics of a living thing’, but it sometimes seems to be a bit alive as if it would just crawl away from her head;
We do not need or want to talk about the question if we should like the wig, it just is a given. That question already has been discussed on several other sites like here and in general two thirds of the voters would like her to have her own short hair.

Though it is not important, I can’t deny you the pleasure how Megan looks with the her own hair and with the wig.

Having read the evidence and having thought about it, what do you think? Should the wig that Megan Boone is wearing be given credit in the opening sequence because it is such an important and influential asset to the show?

poll

159 Comments
Comments (159)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
You think the wig is bad? Two words: The Americans.
Flag
In The Americans, the wigs (and the glasses) are used as an accessorie, I think we viewers are meant to see that they are wearing the wigs.

In this series we shouldn't be aware of the fact that she was wearing a wig.. So no comparison for me, although I agree with you that the onese in The Americans are worse.
Flag
She's not that bad, people just be hatin' because they don't get to wear such an awesome wig and listen to Spader deliver those great little stories in person.
Flag
That Spader part must be the reason she accepted the wig and I do understand that.
Flag
Liz just awesome with or without the wig..:)
Flag
Off course
Flag
Maybe the wig is Lizzie's father...
Flag
I' m trying to get my brain around that idea but I have a hard time doing that :-).

The question who her parents are is still open though... It would make good material for a serious and/or fun post.
Flag
Why does she have to wear it?

Personally I dig the women's short hairstyle.

And from a story standpoint, it just seems more practical to wear your hair short if you're a fictional FBI agent worrying about hand-to-hand fights and shoot-outs on a weekly basis.
Flag
I agree with you that her short hair also looks great and should be more appropriate to her work.

In an interview Megan Boone said: ""It ultimately was a character choice that I made in collaboration with the studio, the network, the producers and the other actors," Boone adds. "Everybody had their say in how Elizabeth's hair was going to look. We ultimately landed on it being long because it gave her a more naive, young look."

Reading all the comments I am not sure we agree with her.
Flag
I know I shouldn't tell you this, but as it is this obvisious I'm telling you anyway ... The wig is in fact a crucial part of the story and should be credited as such. But it simply can't at this time. Because this part of the story hasn't been revealed yet. You wonder what it could be? Think along this line: mysterious house fire - hair - fire - something burning - head - scars - no hair ... Now I'm thinking about it ... maybe the wig is already credited? In an undercover super insider way?
Flag
Good theory! It might end up as a number on Red's list in that way.
Flag
I rather think it is one of his allies ...
Flag
I voted other. The wig should be credited but its evident that the wig is a professional. Although half the time I can barely take Megan seriously and without a doubt would never give her a chance without the wig I know that the wig does not expect credit. The wig is humble and undercover, acting within acting.
Flag
It bit like Bear in Person of Interest. I understand.
Flag
I wonder why they'd have the wig. They should explain that with a special "Behind or Rather under the Wig" documentary episode.
Flag
Because i'm sure Megan didn't say "hey i never acted with a wig" and dared herself to do it for the entirety of a series. Or is it ?
Flag
Although I'm more curious what you voted and it is, as I wrote, a given, I will give you what she said about it in an interview: "It ultimately was a character choice that I made in collaboration with the studio, the network, the producers and the other actors," Boone adds. "Everybody had their say in how Elizabeth's hair was going to look. We ultimately landed on it being long because it gave her a more naive, young look."
Flag
I voted 3rd option.

"We ultimately landed on it being long because it gave her a more naive, young look."

Aww c'mon. If she's really Red's daughter, she could have shorter ( Boone's real) hair and still act naive and use that to her advantage. And Red would see a pattern which becomes the reason why he chose her to talk to. I guess they can always say "hey, after tom, she grew up, let's lose the wig"
Flag
Who cares if it's a wig? I don't. And I didn't know it was a wig until I read this thread. It's a look, not a bad haircut, and I think it looks fine. And giving it a credit? Ridiculous.
Flag
So I assume you voted 'no credit'. And please, just have fun with posts like this.
Flag
Hmmm. If she's wearing a wig, then she must be a Russian spy!
Flag
Good suggestion Sir! That would be a premise that will keep the series going for at least another few seasons. Just before the series finale we will learn she is Holly Taylor, the daughter in The Americans. It also would mean the wig is so good in it's acting it would deserve a credit. So you did vote for the opening credit I hope.
Flag
By the way, I didn't know it was a wig. You ruined my fantasies. Thank you very much! (LOL)
Flag
You're welcome. Any other fantasies you would like me to ruin?
Flag
No, after she put that one tattoo with my face on her back she said she never wanted anything to else added to it.
Flag
Next you tell me Megan Boone in real life curses a lot and has her body covered in obscene tattoos, or something.
Flag
Sure I did!
Flag
I've just learned it was a wig, thanks to you!! And now, it all makes sense!!!! I was always wondering why she keeps having this awful haircut... Now I know why!!
Flag
I didn't know it was a wig either and wondered why her hairstyle was so odd looking myself. Though I must say I do like her with longer, rather than shorter hair.

Her square jaw and broad features look even sharper, more angular and a touch more masculine with that shorter hair style.
Flag
You have an original view. Most people will say that a shot hairstyle is more masculine. But I like the way you're thinking.
Flag
I actually did say that the short hairstyle is more masculine. It's short hair. Long hair is sexy, seductive, told our ancient male ancestors the story of a woman's health and is tactilely sensual whereas short hair is functional if your vision need to be unimpaired during hunting or can be grabbed and used to pull you down by an enemy or catch fire while working with fire, etc.

Those are some of the reasons why men's hairstyles have been short while women's are longer. That and males tended to have dealt with wild beasts more often, so longer hair would invite invites infestation of bugs.

That bug in the hair/fur theory is one theory put forth by evolutionary biologist and psychologists as to why the less hairy among us were naturally selected and why humans are hairless compared to our hairier ancestors.
Flag
You are right and I agree with you. It must have been late when I read your reply :-).
Flag
You're welcome. I suppose you voted 'no credit' as it didn't meet any of your criteria in the ecidence I mentioned in the post.
Flag
You assume right!!!;-p
Flag
I just can't believe all the fuss over a wig. Is it actually a wig or is she sporting hair extensions? No seriously, I jest. Whatever it is she looks fine to me and I don't notice it.
Flag
I agree with you, it's too much fuss. That's is why I made this post, as a fun contribution to the discussion.
Flag
"It’s acting ensures we do not see how badly the acting by Megan Boone sometimes is."

You know, I was going to say no until I read this, because it was very true. How could they nail a casting so well with Spader, but throw in so many useless ancillary one note characters (that they're trying desperately hard to add more depth to. Oh right, Resstler had some ex girlfriend he was into that's dead, I almost forgot he even was going through a tragedy with how weak they set that up..).

Anyway, Boones need to have a wig because gorsh, writing shorter hair into the character or her growing hers out apparently wasn't an option? definitely warrants that wig getting credited...it has more dimensions than some of the non-spader characters on the show anyway..
Flag
Ah Sir, thank you for reading all my evidence! As you have read I do agree with you.

Btw I'm not sure if you're Dutch (like I am), but you have a good original Dutch name!
Flag
Good original dutch name? Wha? Oh you mean Dirk? That's just my screen name. My real name is Ross, which apparently is a clan in Scottland, although I am definitely not Scottish (or Dutch :P ) .
Flag
As long as it suites you well! I specifically choose beautiful names for my kids that can be used in almost any country in the world as I believe the world will become more and more international. My own name is typically Dutch and cannot be pronounced by any foreigner :-)
Flag
i had no idea she wears a wig? wow so bummed, tho she looks great with both, im a sucker for long dark haired woman
Flag
Completely agree. She looks good. But as I said in a comment below, I would take the long haired version out for dinner and the short haired version out to a laser game :-)
Flag
And a very short-haired woman to a lecture about lasers.
Flag
Only if she wore glasses.
Flag
Answer seems simple enough: lose the wig.
Flag
i'm assuming they made her wear the wig bc her shorter hairstyle is not very conservative FBI like.... and perhaps bc she's also quite green (and we see it in her performance at times throughout the series) that it helps viewers to not see the bad acting. just look, we're talking about her wig and not her acting! lol.
Flag
What bad acting? I think she's great. Not as good as James Spader, but who is? Harold Cooper acts like a stick of wood.
Flag
I am not sure it will make the show better and it certainly is not the question of this post :-). She does look different without the wig.
Flag
this show is great, I don't care how well or poorly one actors performance is, the wig is a better actor than every critic combined. say something illuminating, without being derogatory, than you can call yourself a critic

Flag
Thank you for reading and liking the post.

I am glad your sense of humour made your LoL and write such a funny critic comment on my post, thus making it a full circle as you are now writing about yourself. Thanks for making me LoL also!
Flag
I thought that suggesting an illuminating thought, was by nature an attempt at saying something illuminating. It suggests that we don't merely make derogatory and snide potshots, a true critic usually provides a suggestion of improvement, I am glad you lol. I read the post, I don't recall stating I liked it . I don't recall suggesting I was writing about myself, but I can extrapolate the concept that anyone who criticizes a critic is in fact a critic, (oooooh perilously confusing.) I did offer a suggested improvement for all critics (myself included) that something constructive or illuminating be added. So I met my own criteria. I am good with that.
Flag

Can we credit Red's hat too.
Flag
If you look at the points I make why the wig should be credited, most of them are not applicable to the hat. Spader also removes it from his head often so it obviously has less impact on what he does. It might have been the same if Lizzy had removed the wig when coming home, sitting on a bench and the like.
Flag

I think a much more pertinent discussion should be about James Spader's hair. Now that's a fascinating discussion! What happened to it? How long has he hidden his baldness? From what I can tell for about 15 years. On The Office he had a very blatant wig. I'm guessing he had one on Boston Legal as well. It's really a drastic change. If you really want to see something drastic compare him from now vs. when he first joined The Practice.
Flag
I somewhere read a comment by Megan complaining no one said anything about Spader's short hair as he had to cut his for the role.

It could be an interesting post on hair development though, but I won't write it :-)
Flag
I don't really see why people hate her wig. She looks ridiculously beautiful in it. The picture on the right looks much sexier than the one on the left.

IMO the short hair that Megan Boone sports makes her look much less feminine and doesn't complement her facial features nearly as well. The picture on the left makes her look much older as well.
Flag
Oh I do agree with you, she looks hot in the wig and I surely would liek to spent an eveing with her looking like that. I would rather have the short haired version in my paintball team though.
Flag
Yes, the wig deserves credit (I voted). It's definitely a scene stealer and has a commanding presence. I've enjoyed it's character development over the season.
Flag
what, no option for "get rid of Liz and keep the wig"…lol
Flag
Now that is vicious. And no, that is not an option. Both are a given and we just want to know how important that wig is for Lizzy and the show. Personally I believe they should get rid of Tom before they should get rid of the wig.
Flag
the wig is more interesting than Tom so I think the wig should get credit. This is my favorite post about The Blacklist;-)
Flag
What I would like to know is, "Did the Wig force Tom to Work for Berlin?" We get yet another inane Tom question on the front page, yet the most compelling question was right there in front of the author and not addressed.

We know The Wig is vastly smarter than Liz and couldn't it be the one really pushing the buttons behind the scenes? Unfortunately The Wig seems much smarter than most of the people asking the questions here as well.
Flag
@Rolamb
you're right, I don't know if you are female! I think the overhyped guy may have just as many male fans (or males pretending to be female). I'm just joking around and they come off as the stereotypical "crazy bunny boilers"….j/k;-)

One thing they have in common is they are not like us…lol;-)
Flag
How would you know if I'm not female either? I do not discriminate and will tell positive stories like these about either gender.
Flag
@Rolamb
how do you know they are females? Please stop insulting my gender….lol, j/k
Flag
@Vicky8675309 I think he will die in the season finale, so rest assured. Also, I am not the one worshipping Tom, we have a few ladies on the site who are. Regrettably they have not been seen commenting on this post.
Flag
@Rolamb
Tom needs to DIE and I'm so sick of reading about him so please shut up about Tom;-)
The wig is smarter than the idiot LIz, so please don't insult the wig by shipping it with the overhyped guy.
Flag
I thought the wig was already shipped to Tom, making it a 'twig' which would describe them perfectly.
Flag
What if we shipped The Wig with Donny? We could call the ship "Winny"
Flag
are you shipping the Wig with anyone? lol That's all anyone really cares about;-)

You know how sexy the wig is!! Don't you just love all the soap opera drama surrounding the wig?

Piss off Tom, the wig is way more interesting than you!
Flag
OMG! Thanks fir this post! The wig neeeeeed to be gone soon!
Flag
You're welcome. I suppose you voted it deserved no credit at all although it made such an impact on you?
Flag
By the way, did the wig got a renewal? New contract? Jajajaja!
Flag
Not sure yet, no news on the hairstyle. We'll have to wait until the first episodes of the new season. It will not come cheap though it they will renew the contract.
Flag
It's weird, I do think It don't deserve it, but every time I see that wig I lost my nerve.....
Flag
I'd like to know who the 'Wig Wrangler' is? Outstanding training!

"Nothing Personal" but I'd like to see (Special) Agent Keen take a ride in Lola, just like Skye did.

Flag
That looks like something my son calls the 'just out of bed' look and he thinks its sexy.
Flag
It is, it is!

Skye is so sexy right there, and Coulson is paying off the parking attendant.
Flag
See now, dirty pool. BEcause I am now thinking of Skye crawling out of MY bed. Or better yet... into it.
Flag
Only to put a horse head in your bed :-)
Flag
I thought her hair style was terrible, but never realized it was a wig. The wig (now that I know) is so flat, stilted, heavy.
Flag
What the hell...give it credit.
Flag
Well credited Sir!
Flag
So, what's you opinion on the poll now you know it's a wig?
Flag
Rolamb, In your avator you have a bald head in the foreground. Is that you?
If so, have you considered a wig?
Flag
Oh man, you made me LoL. Thank you. Regrettably I have to tell you I took the picture myself and a selfie from my back is to difficult for me.

I am not sure if I would consider a wig when if I were bold, but if it would give me the same credit Megan get's from it I might.
Flag
Wait...whaaat? That's a wig? Never in my wildest dreams would I have guessed. There are more than a few other shows who should try and recruit who ever's in charge of hair on Blacklist.

That said, Megan Boone is pretty hot on the show but in real life with the short hair...smoke show!

I'm thinking that to start next season, the wig needs to go...perhaps as one of those make overs women get after a bad breakup. Umm...they do that, right? ;)
Flag
So, no crediting for you?
Flag
Granted i didn't know it was a wig but i think that giving the wig all this attention might over inflate its ego and we might end up in a "big hair" situation or god forbid season 2 returns and it becomes a bouffant.
All wig related speculation must cease to avoid this potential hairy situation!
Flag
You know what we do with hairy situations, we wash it and then strip the unnecessary parts to be left with the stuff legends are made off.
Flag

The wig has got to go, it’s to distracting, a lot of the time I’m just thinking what the h*** did they do to that hair.

Also with the two photo’s short gives her more personality. (might be that the long hair one's to photoshoped)

But it might be healthier for her actual hair if they keep the wig

Flag
She looks more dangerous to me with her short hair. But, as said in the post, that is not for discussion this time. We just need to know if you think it should be credited or not ans I'm not sure what you think about that question.
Flag
Shouldn't be credited
Flag
Her acting is fine. Sure she is no James Spader but her acting is the average acting level as is for the rest of the regular cast (since usually the villains are stellar actors).

It seems that people keep wanting to harp on her any which way they can either as an actor or as a character. And truthfully I wonder if its a sexist thing (and yes females are very sexist to their own) cause that's the only thing i can seem to grasp at.

In attention to her acting. I just think its because she has so many scenes with Spader and he's just of such high caliber than she looks shoddy in comparison.

As to her character. I have absolutely nothing against it. And am often picky about female characters cause they usually are very shoddily written drinking wine on couches all the time usually talking about guys. So far I agree with everything her character has done ,even if I might not do the same but I know at least a large minority would.

And back to the wig. I dont notice it. However what I do notice is the swelling of her face. In a number of episodes its very swollen and I wonder if she is bulimic. Other eps they are not. And its never a gradual thing. Is it the makeup? I really want to know.
More+
Flag
You two come up with the funniest stuff.

Just to contribute my two cents: I vote for the short hair, screw the wig.
Flag
And btw, we have so many other great questions for this show. One related would be: Why did Tom love his wife to wear a wig?
Flag
Yeah, but that was not an option in the poll :-)
Flag
She isn't wearing a wig... Hair Extensions actually are the key to Megan Boone's locks of auburn greatness. I'm hoping that she will wear such hair extensions in the future as well. The hair extensions, however, do not distract from the power of the series... It is the in fact the general lack of brain power on the writers part that has created the lamentable situation of this season. And two-- this isn't the season finale. That is next weak when the Hair Extensions face a life or death encounter with Tom.
Flag
You are right it is the penultimate episode. I shouldn't have used the info from TV.com that doesn't show an 22nd episode. I will change the text.

On the wig vs hair extensions issue: she has admitted herself many times she wears a wig. You can read it for instance here: The normally short-coiffed actress admits she's wearing a wig while playing novice FBI profiler Elizabeth Keen on the NBC drama,
Flag
"It’s acting ensures we do not see how badly the acting by Megan Boone sometimes is. A comment I read said it all: “I can barely concentrate on the show due to the horrible wig”. This off course is partial because Megan is really inexperienced and partial because everyone in the series seems bleak next to the exceptional genius of James Spader. The wig saved the series." Rolamb...

Did you not write the premise? Does this premise not posit the the idea that show could be better in some way?

I didn't say your article was in fact about the writing or this or that-- I in fact stated two contra positive facts about your general thesis. That I feel better explain the entire problem with Blacklist's monumentally stupid premise.

As for you Ed Shrinker-- sadly you comments are wrong too. Learn how to read for compherension.
Flag
you = your... Damn typos...

Flag
Your article doesn't say anything about the actual hairstyle techniques used. I think the wig theory is wrong. Hair Extensions usually give a more natural look and are easier for the actress to use. But really, the issue isn't hair extensions or wigs-- the fact is the show sucks donkey dick because it is written by idiots.
Flag
You are completely right it's not about the way the extra hair for Megan is done AND this post also is not about the question if the show sucks. I've written this post and I should know.
Flag
People say what you are saying Rolamb when you're caught in a sticky position... All I ask you to do now is defend your positions....
Flag
Yeah, should have listened to my own advice to you.
Flag
Oh just hush, Rolamb. He obviously knows the post better than you. You are just the guy who wrote it. Sheesh. So full of yourself. ( *covers head from flying objects)

(what did you tell me about feeding whom?) ;-p
Flag
Well let me confess something...........I didn't know that was a wig! I thought it was her REAL hair - so awesome wig just by the way lol.
Flag
I agree. It looks real enough to me. I think often wigs dont bother me as much as hair extensions. Those are awful and usually readily apparent since the actor's real hair length is (usually between chin and shoulder length) highly noticeable in half the hair.

Flag
Is it possible for you to proof read or maybe spell check a document before hitting send? Seriously, the recurrent typos and grammatical errors are far worse than Megan's wig!
Flag
Thank you for reading and liking the post!

Regrettably I have to tell you it has been spellchecked by the site itself. I am glad that as a non native speaker I get to amuse an English native speaker like you. Why don't you try posting yourself and see what reactions you get. It must be fun!
Flag
I am not sure about how to credit the wig. But I am pretty sure that the wig figured out that Tom was a plant in the third episode.
Flag
Well now Mate, I think The Wig had its doubts, but it was still caught up in Tom's charm and the intrigue of his 3rd nipple. But that is for another Post/Topic
Flag
Now if that isn't great acting! It knew and it didn't show at all!
Flag
LOL
Flag
I am not sure the title sequence is necessary. BUt I would like to see it listed as "Special Guest Star: The Wig"after the title sequence.

Or maybe "Featuring: The Wig (as Megan Boone's Hair)"

Or "Introducing"? I guess it depends how much other work The Wig has been offered.
Flag
This is so great, I can't stop laughing! I have to say the wig kinda looks better in the last few episodes, I don't know why. Also I liked the wig she wore in the pilot, wonder what happened to it, is it the same wig after a makeover? did a blacklister kidnap it? I need answers!!
Flag
Thank you, that's what makes writing for the site so much fun.
Flag
That Wig was holding out for more money once the show was picked up. They brought in the current Wig that was doing Broadway shortly before.
Flag
Breaking news that Terry O'Quinn's hairpiece has tried out for a guest starring role as The Wig's love interest.
Flag
I cannot see that happening. It is too ugly.
Flag
Considering the state of James SPader's hair, the question I have for you Rolamb is whether or not The Wig has the acting chops to possibly jump on Spader's head? What a challange for it's acting skills - to change characters so abruptly. Like Tatiana Maslany's many wigs in Orphan Black.

Flag
Now that is an interesting thought. James Spader had to cut his hair for the role so there's more space on his head. Maybe he will change to the winning side at one time in the future. At least it's life would get more interesting.
Flag
  • I understand that it isn’t alive, as usually defined by the ‘seven characteristics of a living thing’, but it sometimes seems to be a bit alive as if it would just crawl away from her head;
You see, now I just find you be snarky and discriminatory towards The Wig. Just because it doesn't meet the critreia YOU believe to be important, we are supposed to assume it has no mind of it's own? That it has no feelings toward laying there on Ms Boone's head all episode long, yet not even given a line?

And as for crawling away, how do we not know it wasn't cruelly fastened to her head and it no longer can choose to remove itself? Aren't there Union rules against treating actors this way? There. I said it. YOU may not feel it is alive, but I not only believe it lives, but I consider The Wig a fine, patient A-C-T-O-R
Flag
Follow this Show
Members