We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on NBC

poll

poll

poll

We are finally heading into the two part season finale, which is supposed to be all about Berlin. (Another two parter like Anslo Garrick would be welcomed!) Will Liz forgive Red? Will someone die? Will Tom and Red finally confront each other face to face? Why is Red so afraid of Berlin? Red doesn't scare easily. One thing is certain, the answers always lead to more questions, so we will have a busy summer re-watching the first season for clues to the answers.

The producers have promised (don't hold your breath) that we will find out why Red turned himself into the FBI, what the numbers assigned to the Blacklist mean, more about who Tom “really” is... and we will see a greater conspiracy revealed. Those are not new spoilers, those are things they have promised all season.

It's hard to believe they are going to fit that all into the last two episodes. Unfortunately there has been lots of grumbling across the internet about the last few episodes, that The Blacklist is not what it was cracked up to be. Has the pace been too slow? Too many questions left dangling with no answers? Is Liz your least favorite character (to put it politely)? Are you close to jumping ship and saying enough is enough, and you and the show are parting ways? The season finale may throw you a life preserver.

Hopefully the producers have something memorable planned, to change your mind, to make you fall in love with The Blacklist again. These next two episodes will be so fantastic, that we will definitely be anxious waiting for the fall premier, and they will remove all doubt that The Blacklist is a show that we cannot miss, ever. We are addicted, we have to keep watching. After all, Cooper may have Red, the FBI's secret weapon, but The Blacklist has James Spader, NBC's secret weapon. That's the Spader factor which guarantees a successful show. (No secret why I watch faithfully.)

To describe the finale, the producers have used the word... “Grand.” I hope it turns out to be more than “Grand,” perhaps it will be super colossal, spectacular and shocking beyond our wildest imagination and lots of other juicy adjectives.

There are many possible twists and turns that may occur this coming Monday. Some of the possibilities are listed below. I have tried not to read spoilers or use them here, because they really do spoil the surprise of what actually happens, and they tend to cause people to be disappointed with the actual episode when it airs. So the possible events I have listed below are pure speculation.

If I've forgotten any possibilities which you would like to see happen, please do elaborate in the comments. If you have any ideas, who knows, you may be right. Thanks.

In the final two episodes of "Berlin"...

poll

poll

Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
It's a long list, considering the numbers we have seen being used so far. So, I think that the numbers could be at least sub categorized as follows:

1) People of interest whom Red seeks to make vulnerable in order to get vital information from them to further his own agenda(s) and fight back against those trying to bring him down.

2) People whom Red knows would be good to be rid of, just because they are actually evil and thus, would win him points with the FBI and most specifically help Liz's rise in the ranks.

This is a show that's far from over, but what I hope the most is that 'The Blacklist" isn't like "The Mentalist" where there was 1 big bad and take 6 seasons to get at. I hope this will be more layered than that.

Flag
Maybe it's wishful thinking, but my speculation would be that Liz will go into hiding, and Tom & Red will make a team to find her and change the dynamic of the show as we know it.
Flag
I am sure a Tom/Red team up is bound to happen in the future. Just not so soon I dont think. Red is too busy making friends with Ressler and Liz this season.
Flag
That would be really good; but I don't think the writers are as inventive as you. Which is a shame, because your version would be worth watching.
Flag
That would be interesting to see.
Flag
I have said it many times. If Blacklist was a cable show with only 12 episodes, it would be awesome. I just wish they make the next season much tighter instead of procedural. As good as Spader is, he might not save the show again in season two.
Flag
I think for the most part, I liked all the episodes. I really liked the villains and only wished they didn't all die. The fact that they did is a waste, and therefore those introduction eps would not fat out in later seasons. I hope they change that for the later seasons.

I happen to appreciate the philosophy of the villainy. Its often like an adult version of the lessons we used to get in cartoons.

I think it actually works better as a 22 instead of 13 episode show. We wouldn't get to savor the tidbits we get if it was. Plus it would be too action packed instead of slow and methodical like a hunter slowly stalking its prey.
Flag
I have to agree with you, there have been episodes that have been so slow and boring, filler is the only word that applies. The Alchemist and The Cyprus Agency were two that come to mind (although Red killing Diane in the end was the only 5 minutes worth watching). Red was on the periphery, hardly seen at all. Liz was superwoman who managed to solve the case and apprehend the criminal of the week... not why I watch the Blacklist.

Compared to the early suspenseful episodes, some of the more recent ones were moving at a snail's pace. A shorter series of episodes may be the remedy. More Spader, more story, more viewers.

Flag
Concerning “romanticizing” the story. Everyone has a different reason why they enjoy the Blacklist, and that is why the show is so appealing to so many different people. Some people like to watch because Red is unique, or because the show reminds them of another show they enjoyed (Alias or 24?). But we all have our individual reasons why we keep tuning in.

Some people like the procedural aspects, some prefer the serialized story telling aspects. Some people enjoy the human relationships between each and every character, how we might identify with them or find them endearing. This is what makes them more than just cardboard cut outs, or props on the stage. The writers have to humanize them so that we care about what happens to them. That is what sometimes interests me the most, how each character relates to others, and how emotions may play a part in their behavior or reveal their motives for their actions. If that is romanticizing the show, then I for one welcome it, and don't feel it should be excluded as a consideration.

There is a vulnerability issue to every character we meet on the Blacklist, something that they value that they will do anything to protect. That is human nature. Even the baddies know this when they threaten the children or family of their targets. Red used this to his advantage when he had Dembe stroll by in that museum, pushing Craig's mother in a wheelchair.

As part of his assignment, Tom had to seduce Liz, to convince her to accept a proposal of marriage, to be for all intents and purposes a loving, attentive husband. After two years, it is very plausible that Tom fell in love with Liz, and would not want anything to happen to her. In my opinion, saying that Tom may love Liz, is not romanticizing the relationship, it may eventually be revealed to be absolutely correct.

More+
Flag
Or absolutely incorrect. I gotta give the producers a lot of credit for creating buzz and publicity for this show. They are constantly on twitter, facebook, etc. to hook in viewers, that anything is PLAUSIBLE. And I believe it was the publicity aspect that started the "Does Tom love Liz" campaign.

Believe me, I'm just as a fanatic about this show as you are, and OBJECTIVELY speaking from what the writers have presented, all we have is "You were my job." And love? What, from the way he looks at her? His doe-eyed longing?!? That's all we have, really. I watch this show with bunch of guys, and we just SHAKE OUR HEADS at what people READ INTO. And not only that, jump to some romanticist conclusion, "It wasn't his job to hurt her. But did you see how he looked at her? He loves her!!" Thank the TV gods that Red is the voice of reason, for the audience! "Be careful of your husband." "Your husband never existed." Even his little soliloquy about how Liz deserves only the best (and that's why Tom had to DO what he had to do) is a telling statement from the writers. I'm with Red.
More +
Flag
You reply as if we (the few Tom shippers) are saying Tom is head over heels in love with Liz and fully willing to sacrifice all of himself for her. We don't. We have said that he at least cares for her and we just don't know the degree of it and that is the mystery.
I think she has become an important factor in his life that brings about pleasantness. I think her take on him is of value to him. I think he cares about her well-being over that of others.
So its not all about his feelings for Liz but about his own ethics and the type of life he desires for himself.

Flag

Those are your opinions and theories. I prefer to reserve my judgment on what the writers have actually placed in the mouth of characters, until it is revealed otherwise by said writers.

And what in the world is Tom shipper?

Flag
I do agree with you about the publicity influence on viewer interpretation, really I do. I remember very well during one of the "Beyond the Blacklist" offerings, which are basically the producers spinning what they want you to believe about the show, so that they can successfully surprise and shock you later on. It was Ryan Eggold who first mentioned ("does Tom love Liz?") in an interview, and then was quickly followed by Megan Boone. So I am suspicious of anything show runners or cast have to offer.

It gets to the point as a viewer, that unless you watch the episodes several times, you may forget what you saw and heard with your own eyes/ears from an episode and instead believe Jon Bokenkamp or John Eisendrath when they tell you what you just saw, or what the characters are feeling, etc. The lines are blurred between what really happened on the show, and what the producers want you to think happened on the show.

But I suppose my post was primarily meant to defend another poster's views, impressions, and opinions, not just to merely agree with that particular point (whether Tom loves Liz or not). If that impression is important to a poster, and they bother to post about it, then it influences their enjoyment of the show. We should always welcome different views (isn't this what any forum is all about?) , and the poster should be entitled to their opinion, as we all are.

But I do get your point. Perhaps you can think about the reverse being true. That the writers are playing with your perceptions as well. When you don't think you see anything on a characters face, or in their words to support a certain theory, then the writers can easily change their minds, and insert meaning and purpose to a scene down the road, just to provide shock, which is always the writer's intention.
More +
Flag
Don t really care for ther different options here.
My wishes for a better blacklist which i am a very big are as follow:

first and only one one KILL Liz and make Red go on a rampage.
I love the series through Red and the charisma of James Spader but latly I have been turned off by Lizzie.
I have zero empathy for her. The actress who is a beautiful woman doesn't make me want to learn her name. I am not interested to look her other works. She is a lead actress and i m rooting for the second roles Parminda or Rachel Brosnahan (Jolene)

On the contrary in the underrated Tomorrow People Alex Pena Vega by her acting in a few episodes made us hate, love, hate and love her again. Her death was a loss for nothing since the series was dead from the beginning

Just like for Joss 'death in POI, Liz's will be good for the series. Just tell her the truth and kill her on the last minutes of the series for a great cliff waiting for Red's revenge
Flag
My predictions:
1. Berlin will order Tom to kill Liz, but at the last moment he changes his mind. Red will plead with Tom to align with him to take down Berlin, but Tom will refuse because of fear. Tom will escape, will return later in season.
2. Berlin also orders take down of FBI taskforce, Cooper is killed.
3. Walter Martin is placed in charge of post office, who is under employment of Fitch in his effort to control the post office and keep tabs on Red. This would comprise of 2nd season mystery: figuring out who Martin is, his agenda, and to oust him. I'm thinking Liz and Ressler would be doing this rogue work, since he is their boss, technically.
4. Berlin....will escape. And return at later time to face off Red, again.

The show needs the FBI procedural aspect to serve Red's goal, which is to eradicate the blacklisters (which only serves the bigger function of why Red does what he does). And the show cannot sustain on serial alone, although that aspect is much more interesting. Which means, Red and Liz remain at DC.
Flag
I really like the one about Walter Martin coming back! It would be the perfect way to keep delve into the Fitch mystery next season. I'd love him to be the head of Post Office because he's just so shady. I love the potential for the secrets and lies it would open up.
Flag
Or maybe Cooper's buddy, Tom Connelly, (who was on the short list to become Attorney General) will be chosen to head the task force. He was very interested in finding out who Cooper's secret weapon was. Connelly was also a bit slimy and seemed to have self-serving motives. Perfect.
Flag
Here are my predictions:
1) Tom will switch sides and align with Red.
2) Berlin will learn about Liz's scar and report it to the "Big Bad" whoever that is.
3) Cooper will die and the Post Office Task Force will be officially dismantled.
4) Liz will go on the lam with Red, and Tom.
5) Ressler will be placed in charge a new taskforce that hunts Red, Tom and Liz.
Flag
Sorry, but I can't help but to think that your thoughts are very romanticized, if not veering on soap-opera-ish. What makes you think Liz will go on the lam with Red and Tom? She had done some irrational, impulsive things (jumping out of car, running after Tom), but this is another level of THROW YOUR LIFE AWAY INSANITY. With much respect to the character, she will not do this because if anything, she has shown to have a clear conviction of what is right and wrong. And with Tom, nonetheless? Putting aside the possibility that he "may" love her, but it is in FACT that he was a liar, and that their marriage was a lie. So, in her present state of mind, she will never run away with him.
Flag
I don't think the trip would be a second honeymoon, I was thinking more along the line of the events of the finale will make it impossible for her to return to the FBI and thus she'll be forced to either go into hiding or more actively pursue Red's enemies in order to protect herself. Remember all the commercials about the "Enemy of my Enemy"? I think those will turn out to be about Tom. Tom would be coming with her as bodyguard rather than a husband. The scene in Madeline Pratt where Tom asks her if she needs a partner for her undercover work may have been foreshadowing.

As for a having a romanticized notion of Tom and Liz, I do think he loves her and will change sides to protect her, but I don't expect a full reconciliation. I think she might reluctantly agree to work with him because of his knowledge and skills, but I foresee it as being a very tense alliance.

Tom's love for her doesn't erase the lies he told. There is also the fact that whatever his feelings for her, Liz doesn't know the real Tom Keen at all. He is a stranger to her. For them to start a new relationship she would have to be at the point where she knows and trust Tom Bond. Given everything that's happened, that could take some time.
More +
Flag

I used to think the little tidbits the writers threw here and there were foreshadowing, but now I'm fully convinced that they are just nuggets of redherring. Plus, we always read into what we hope to be see, and hope that it's foreshadowing. The Blacklist writers are especially bad at throwing redherrings. Cruel people...

I can foresee Liz and Red "disappearing" at some point, but right now, it's too early, for their relationship and the show aspect. I truly think that the writers are grooming Liz/Ressler (I know...you're not a fan, but...it's happening) and it will take some room in the 2nd season development. The writers did not bring in Audrey (plot device, at best), kill her off, have Ressler go on short "rogue", grow in some "relationship" with Red, deepen his relationship with Liz...all for NAUGHT. If anything, this was the one sure thing...this was THE foreshadowing that could be seen a mile away. There is no way the writers would make this much overt effort, only to create a divide between these two characters. Very formulaic, actually.

Tom...what an anomaly at this point. I actually DON"T CARE if he loves Liz. I think he's far interesting as an adversary, and I hope the writers would be smart and keep him as an adversary (and not the soap opera faux-love story with Liz).

And this is still, and always will be REDDINGTON show. I'll take his word on Tom. Be careful of him? OK!

More +
Flag
I'm actually not in disagreement with you about Ressler/Liz thing, I think Tom Liz Red or some combination there of with take off together during the finale, but obviously come season two at least Red and Liz will need to return to the FBI.

Initially I was thinking Ressler was going to die, but now I think Cooper makes more sense because his death could shake up the structure of the Post Office. I now foresee Ressler becoming important to Liz as her teether to world of the FBI as she is pulled more and more toward Red's and Tom's world. A eventual romance is certainly not out of the question, but Tom might complicate matters.
Flag
I really like those scenarios, those are exciting ideas. The task force seems so boring and predictable lately, so that would really shake things up. I especially like the idea of Red and Tom putting their heads together and working toward a common goal. Tom wants to protect Liz and Red needs information to find his Adversary. That would work, and it would be fun to watch the friction between the two, fighting over Liz.
Flag

I'm not buying that Tom wants to "protect" Liz. Seriously, where did that idea even come from? Because nothing in the show had even hinted at that, so it could only be attributed to Tom/Liz fandom (and even that group, I don't get). Who is he protecting her from? Red? If that's the case, he's done a TERRIBLE job because Liz had been frolicking around with Red for days and nights. And the only thing he had on Red was a photo...of him walking into the hospital? For sure, Tom wants to put a wedge between Liz and Red, but nothing concrete would indicate that he wanted to protect her from Red.

What we know from the show, as we should dwell in the concrete evidence, is that Tom had created a "board" of Liz's life. He was collecting intel on her, and possibly her connection to Red. The drawing of the black site that was pinned on the board...was it a coincidence? NOPE. Tom even tells Jolene that the drawing was from his recollection. That board was maniacal...detailed, pinned, lines drawn...does that look like someone who is protecting her? or collecting info????

So, back to the question, who is Tom protecting her from (if that)? Berlin? So he must be a double agent. If (BIG IF) that is the case, then what a lazy writing. This type of plot device has been used and overused since the first episode of every other spy show. Is Tom a CIA mole, protecting Liz from Berlin? Doubt it, that board did not look like what a CIA agent would use, and I'd think he would have more sophisticated data from the CIA.

More +
Flag
Some things that have hinted Tom may want to protect Liz:

1) His pushing Liz to move to Nebraska. His mission seems to have been to gather intelligence on how Liz connects to Red. It would have been harder to do that if she was no longer working with him.

2) His attempts to guilt Liz into staying home with the baby. Again his assignment is to gather intel on what Red and Liz are working on together, if she is not working, then he is not getting any closer to figuring out what is going on with her and Red.

3) His insistence to Craig that Liz doesn't know the truth about him. Tom is a super spy who was able to study The Cowboy's facial expressions and figure out he was working for Red. Liz does not have the poker face that The Cowboy does and Tom has spent years living with her. Tom had to have known that Liz knew the truth, but he denies it to his fellow agent and doesn't report it to Berlin. This is suspicious to me.

Are any of these examples of rock solid proof? Of course not. That's why this is a debate. In my opinion Tom's board doesn't prove anything except that he's been gathering intelligence on how Liz connects to Red. That seems to have been Tom's mission. We don't see Tom giving Jolene earth-shattering intelligence. He may have found out more than he is telling her. Then again he may not have. I think we're all just going to have to agree to disagree until we get more information.
More +
Flag

I'm not wasting time "debating" over impressions and interpretations, I could tell you that right now. I'm thinking your objectivity is colored by your favor upon this character.

1) Tom is wanting to put a wedge between Liz and Red, hence the photo, distance, etc.

2) Tom is desperate (per Red) to keep marriage intact, in order to carry on his mission. Baby is easily the most effective tool to preserve that relationship.

3) Craig? "I know that woman." Tom's opinions of Liz trumped Craig's suspicions simply because he thinks he has better assessment of her.

4) Killing Jolene was self-preservation. Tom knew Red had info on Jolene (dispatching Cowboy in the process), and said "You will lead him to me" (not verbatim, but along the lines of)

These responses are from the show, what the characters have stated.

Flag
Another thing that supports that theory is the fact that Tom killed Jolene. If she worked for Berlin also, and they both were on the same side, it is strange that he ends up killing her. He may have killed her because she showed up at his house again to talk to Liz, to start a friendship with her. Tom may have worried that Berlin was getting too close to Liz. So he may have killed Jolene in an effort to protect Liz. Just a possibility.
Flag
The “Tom protecting Liz” possibility comes from Tom himself, claiming to be one of the good guys, and claiming that he was not there “to hurt her.” His assignment may have been to protect whatever value she holds to Berlin, or whatever Red's interest is in her.

Tom did not explain his mission to Liz, so we still don't know if he was there to protect her or not, so it should not be excluded as a possibility. Tom may have been placed in Liz's life in order to be with Liz when Red eventually surfaced, when Liz regains her childhood memories, or when another unknown event occurs (perhaps when her biological father emerges). Tom's mission may have been to protect Liz in the sense he had to make sure Red did not get the valuable information or the valuable unknown asset that Liz seems to possess. Whether knowledge, memory or an actual object, Berlin does not want Red to be able to use Liz against Berlin or against his superiors.

I respectfully disagree with you about Tom's board. The reasons he displayed those pictures has never been explained on the show, so the board's purpose is not a concrete fact. It is instead just another facet of the show that is open to interpretation. In my humble opinion, the board that Tom created illustrates Red as it's primary interest. Red is on the top (just as Red moves the burnt paper that said “Berlin” on it to the top, or a place of importance on Liz's white board). The board shows all the people that Red has had a connection to. It highlights surveillance of Red, the people he met, or conducted business with, the string connects Red to several people on the board (perhaps money transfers). For instance Grey, Red's assistant, is on the board, and he does not have any connection to Liz. The string connects Grey to both Gina and Red and the Russian agent that was killed, Victor Folkin. Liz is on the board, as one of the interesting puzzle pieces of Red's life, and an object of great importance to Red, her entire life. Many people have studied Tom's board from screen grabs and have yet to figure out the reasoning. That's the joy of the show, it's a mystery, every scene is open to interpretation, and we all enjoy theorizing. There are no concrete facts, except the exact script of the dialogue, and sometimes that is very ambiguous as well. So we only have the few lines of dialogue between Tom and Jolene to rely on to explain the board. As always, in my humble opinion.

More +
Flag
mollahh, in reply to your comment below: Wow. Sorry to ruffle your feathers. And here I was trying to be so careful to put "in my humble opinion" and use "may be" and "possibility," and perhaps and maybe. Is it too late to point out that I was trying (unsuccessfully) to say that Tom may not be protecting Liz per se, but protecting what ever information she holds from getting into Red's hands, that may be a threat to Berlin or Berlin's superiors? I suppose at some point if that is true, that he may even have to kill her to prevent that from happening.
It wasn't my assumption that Tom is protecting Liz, it was a speculation, a theory, one theory of many theories. But that is all conjecture, it is not written in stone, and I did not mean it to imply that it was.
I certainly will never forget that your theory is that Tom is NOT protecting Liz in any way. ;-)
Flag
No, the "Tom protecting Liz" possibility comes from you, NOT THE SHOW. He's already admitted she was his job, and also that his job wasn't to hurt her. But it is YOUR ASSUMPTION that Tom is protecting her. It's one thing to not hurt the target (collect intel, perhaps useful to own agenda), but it is a whole ANOTHER CLAUSE to add protection. And just to entertain ourselves to think that he was protecting her, well, he was TERRIBLE at that job, too. She was near death many times.

And the board...yeah, you don't have to tell me what was on it, I'm well aware. He was collecting intel about Red, through Liz. Splitting hairs...

A spoiler came out couple of weeks ago, and Eggold said Nikki was his "wife" who lives in "Chicago". I'm just abiding my time until nefarious Tom blows up, leaving many fandoms crushed.
Flag
Great discussion starter! I do think Blacklist suffers from too many episodes (our we getting spoiled from shorter seasons and faster storytelling). Maybe a 17 episode format? That is probably a whole other discussion. Anyway the producers have promised a lot for only 2 hours left! I'm sure they will make good on all and our jaws will drop in shock! *crosses fingers*
Here is my theory on who will die.....Lizzie. It'll be a fake out of course. Whose plan will it be? Lizzie's, Red's, Tom's, The FBI's or Berlin's (did I forget anyone)?
Flag
Thanks! I can't believe I omitted my favorite theory, that Red will fake Liz's death to keep her safe and out of harm's way. I also would like to see Tom live to fight another day, and perhaps become a worthy adversary to Red, foiling Red's plans along the way.

And I have to agree with you, maybe if the season was a bit shorter, there would be less filler episodes.
Flag
Yes! I want Tom to live! I still find it wrong how EVERYONE (including me) hated him and then he became a spy and now he is interesting enough to keep!
Flag
I actually liked Tom since the pilot. If anything, I sympathized with the fact that it sucks to be a spouse of an agent.
Flag
Yes, count me in as another fan of bad Tom. The show, if they're smart, will keep him. But please keep him only as an adversary, and no more of this "does he love Liz" melodrama. This eye roll emotive aspect weakens the character, and he is far more interesting as an adversary. PLZ WRITERS!
Flag
Just wondering. How would you feel if he didn't love her before but grows to love her later in the seasons?
Flag
Follow this Show
Members