A The Blacklist Community
Wednesday 8:00 PM on NBC (Returning October 4, 2017)
While I was re-watching S1 I noticed that there seem to be a number mistakes made by the writers where the small details of the show seem to contradict one another. These mix-ups may seem minor, but in a show where small details are often scrutinized it worries me that they aren't more careful, particularly about their timeline info. If it is that hard for the writers to keep track of the details they should hire a rabid fan to do it for them. I certainly would volunteer...

1) The calls to the Apple Man.

In 1x10 Aram states that someone has been making calls from inside the Post Office to the Apple Man and yet neither of the two moles the writers revealed could have made those calls. I thought prior to the finale that the writers were holding back a final mole for dramatic effect, but Meera was cleared by Teddy and Cooper was exonerated by his conversations with Agent Martin. I suppose if they wanted they could have Aram or Ressler be guilty, but I'd have trouble buying it.

2) Liz raised herself?

In the Pilot Liz claims to have "raised herself" and yet she is later shown to have a great relationship with her adoptive father Sam, who has been her Dad since she was four.

3) Elizabeth "Scott" Keen?

The interrogator in 1x02 says Liz's full name is Elizabeth Scott Keen. Liz was adopted by Sam Milhoan when she was four, so where exactly does the "Scott" part of her name come from? Does Liz believe that Scott was her biological father's last name and she kept it? Why wouldn't Sam have changed it after he adopted her? Why wouldn't Liz have changed it, considering the backstory she believes about her biological family (that they abandoned her/died of weakness) and how she identifies Sam as "Daddy"? Maybe there is more to this than we know, but until someone explains it to me I'm calling it a goof .

4) Ellie The Teacher or Ellie The Realtor?

In 1x03 friend "Ellie" arrives and tells Tom and Liz she got someone to cover her classes, implying she works with Tom at the school, however later Liz offers Jolene the number of a realtor friend named "Ellie". Does Liz have two friends named Ellie or were the writers simply not paying attention?

5) Driving in from Rochester?

In 1x07 Tom recalls the first night they spent in their house, and how they were driving in from Rochester. This is weird because they were supposedly living in New York City (where Liz was working with the emergency psych unit) at this time. Liz's extended family lives in Nebraska, and Tom (for obvious reasons) wouldn't be visiting his family, so why were they driving from there?

6) It's A GIrl! It's A Boy?!

In the pilot Liz comes home to find the house decorated with balloons and a sign that reads "It's a Girl", yet in the Cyprus Agency Liz is cooing over the ultrasound of a baby boy ("Let's just face it, I'm in love with him"). What is with the gender flip?

7) Meeting Tom in Georgetown?

Liz tells Jolene in Mako Tanika she moved from "up north" one year ago, and she was there for THREE years. According to the pilot she was working in New York prior to reassignment to DC. How then was she meeting Tom in a Georgetown cafe on July 9th 2010? Was she on vacation and Tom was also supposedly on vacation?

poll

poll

Can you think of a goof I missed?

Are there any goofs here you have an explanation for?

Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Feb 07, 2015
What ever happened to the dog. After TOM takes him out for a walk and doesn't come back, we never seem him again.
Flag
Feb 07, 2015
Tom left Hudson in the space between the inner and outer doors of the house. Hudson's scratching at the door is what alerts Liz to the fact Tom has left. We saw Hudson briefly in 2x01, but we haven't seen him since. Hudson mysterious appears and reappears when convenient. Hopefully Liz is boarding him somewhere.
Flag
Sep 28, 2014
the goof that bother's me the most is about Lizzie's dog, first it was taken once for a walk since the beginning of the show, then it changed breeds twice, if the character must have a pet maybe a cat would've been more appropriate!
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
Lizzie also tells Red she was hurt in a fire at 14, I guess it could have been another fire, but since they always focus on the fire at a younger age, I seriously doubt it. Lizzie also tells Beth in the pilot that her dad gave her the scar.
Flag
Sep 19, 2014
I think it is supposed to be two different fires, because the fire of the flashback occurred before she was adopted by Sam and she was adopted at the age of four. They could say she was lying to Red, but that would make me unhappy because at that moment she needs Red to cooperate to save a girl's life and lying would have jeopardized that, especially considering he knows things about her not even the FBI knows. I think Sam most be the dad she talks about.
Flag
Sep 25, 2014
the thing is, she tells Red she got the scar when she was 14, but then she later tells Beth when she was Beth's age she was scared and had a secret weapon that her daddy gave her that kept her safe...the scar...but Beth clearly isn't 14 years old
Flag
Sep 08, 2014
You can "raise yourself" and still have a great relationship with your parents. I basically think of it in reference here to "latchkey kids".

Isn't Georgetown just 4, maybe 4.5 hours from NYC? That is an easy trip, and if you don't have a car Amtrak does that trip multiple times a day. Plus, it seems that her work doesn't follow a strict schedule.

Why not drive from Rochester? They could have been visiting. Furthermore, there are a lot of Rochesters.

"Its a girl" maybe he got the balloons after they had the baby choosen but it was too early to figure out the sex and so he just went with girl.

Ellie can be both a teacher and relator. :) Or just two Ellies since it can be a diminutive of many names such as Elizabeth, Eleanor, or Michelle.

Scott I figured was her "parents" name. I thought it was addressed before because I remember discussing or thinking about this before.

I thought the calls to the Apple men were made by that older woman and that Mira worked for her.

I thought I found different "goofs" in the show but I don't recall what they were.
More+
Flag
Jun 18, 2014
I think writers should get themselves a white board (they seem to have 2 spare ones in stock) and start getting characters and facts linked together with red thread. This way they won't have fans checking for timelines as if our life depended on it :D.

Flag
Jun 16, 2014
About "Elizabeth Scott Keen." We know that Liz finally finds out in the last episode that Sam and Red were keeping the name of her biological father from her, to protect her. So that means the name Sam gave to her at the time of the adoption could not have been traced back to her bio father's real name. One of the producers was talking about season two, and he said that Liz would be coming to terms that she really isn't "Elizabeth Scott Keen" and will be trying to figure out who she "really" is (perhaps a search for her real identity). Tom wasn't really a Keen, and Sam and Red gave Liz the name Elizabeth Scott. I'm not sure if Milhoan was her maiden name, but that was probably the only name that is real to her. Maybe she will change her name to Milhoan, to honor Sam?
Flag
Jun 17, 2014
Good thinking on the name, that's definitely possible. I do hope Liz changes her name to Milhoan, rather than Scott, because she knows at this point that Keen and Scott are bullsh*t. Poor Liz, though, because she now knows that even Sam kept huge secrets from her. It was for her own protection, but still if I'm Liz I'm asking myself "has a single person in my life ever been completely honest with me?"
Flag
Jun 15, 2014
Now I want you to do a goof for Orphan Black :-)
Flag
Jun 15, 2014
I think they goofed with the dog as well but they eventually admitted it. The breed of dog/size at the end of the season was quite different from the dog used in the beginning. They also called the dog "Hudson" in the pilot... but when Tom leaves him in the hall, he called him "buddy" several times. I think the writers were too lazy to look up the name of the dog from prior episodes! They should have asked one of the die hard fans who pay attention to every little detail!

The worst goof, imo, was Liz saying that she raised herself, when we are told that she was adopted by and raised by Sam. It was also hinted that Liz may have had a shady past herself, possibly a teenage grifter, sleight of hand, etc. The question about her true life as an adopted daughter still hasn't been fully explored. Maybe she ran away from home and came back?

Too many cooks spoil the soup. There are too many different writers that contribute to 22 episodes and the continuity suffers.
Flag
Sep 08, 2014
I understood "Buddy" as just a term not the name. It's like saying "that a girl" to animal. I also know people who like to call people "buddy" when that isn't their name.
Flag
Jun 15, 2014
Yeah, the thing with Hudson, oh my gosh. I read an interview that mentioned contract negotiations falling through with the original dog, but I still find it bizarre that they couldn't find another dog that looked remotely like the original Hudson. It wasn't like Hudson had to performance any amazing tricks...The best part was that they didn't think the fans would notice...The "buddy" thing I don't think was a mistake, its just a common nickname for a dog.

I am really interested in what happened in Liz's adolescent life that had her living with Frank and grifting. If the writers do decide to honor the pilot and keep the age Liz was given her burn scar 14, and the man who gave it to her "Daddy" (which could only mean Sam) perhaps that was the impetus for her fleeing home? Perhaps they reconciled when Sam got sick with cancer the first time around?
Flag
Jun 16, 2014
I still think that there was a fire at age 4 and Liz got a scar, but then Sam did something to that scar at age 14 so that it would resemble the symbol on the go boxes, and that it would serve to always protect her. That may explain when she gives two conflicting ages in the pilot. And I agree that she would only call Sam "daddy."

Liz must have run away from home if the story about robbing a store is true. It's hard to believe that Sam would have allowed that, or that Red would not have intervened in some way. Red said that he had known Sam for most of his life and all of hers, so that predates Red's life of crime. Sam could not have had a criminal past and taught Liz sleight of hand, and other "talents?" I guess anything is possible.
Flag
Jun 15, 2014
I didn't even pick up on any of those.
Flag
Jun 15, 2014
Good catches!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members