A The Blacklist Community
Thursday 9:00 PM on NBC (Returning February 1, 2015)

Truth: The FBI are portrayed as idiots on The Blacklist. Their incompetence has been noted by us, and by Red on multiple occasions. Still, it makes no sense that they have not been able to trace a link between Red and Sam, unless there is more to the story than we know.

Let's examine the facts:

-Sam raised Liz since she was four.

-Liz had an FBI background check, which had to include who raised her.

-Sam and Red are intimately connected.

-Sam is NOT living under an assumed identity. The proof was his funeral. If Sam had been living under a fake identity, he couldn't possibly have brought that many family members to relocate with him.

Possibility #1: Red is NOT Raymond Reddington. Red could have assumed the identity of Raymond Reddington, after tragedy struck his family. The real Raymond Reddington did leave a wife and daughter behind. The real Reddington could have been killed or perhaps he is The Adversary Red is seeking.

Strengths:
-Red says "Everything about me is a lie" in the pilot episode. This could easily refer to the identity swap.

-Red admits to having "work done" with Abraham, and yet he still looks like "Raymond Reddington". Red doesn't strike me as someone who would indulge in Botox or liposuction.

-It would explain why the FBI can't find the connection between Sam and Red. Sam is connected to Red's real identity, whatever that may be.

-It would explain why the FBI doesn't know about Red's family tragedy.

-It would explain why Red is so comfortable talking about himself in the third person when talking about making "Raymond Reddington" disappear.

-If Lizzie is Red's daughter, it would help explain why she doesn't recognize him.

Weaknesses:
-You would assume that the Navy would have the real Raymond Reddington's fingerprints on file. You would also assume they would notice if his current and past prints didn't match. Of course, I'm sure there are ways to swap out those records...

Possibility #2: The CIA is covering up all parts of Red's past connected to a mission that went bad. If Sam and Red knew each through the CIA they could have classified or just plain erased any evidence that Red and Sam were partners. If the family tragedy was connected to the mission, the CIA could have swept it under the rug and moved Red's wife into Witness Protection to prevent any eager agents like Resselar from checking up on the story.

Strengths:

-It would explain why the FBI can't find the connection between Sam and Red.

-It would explain why the FBI doesn't know about Red's family tragedy.

-It would explain the Apple man, whom I'm almost certain is CIA.

Weaknesses:
-None that I can think of so far...

poll