The Blacklist

No. 84: Wujing

Aired Thursday 9:00 PM Oct 07, 2013 on NBC

• Pedestrian.

The back story development was absolutely spectacular, and some major things went down in that regard which I really enjoyed.

The case itself however, was definitely the weakest of the three so far. Parta of it didn't really have me interested at all but other bits were OK.

The case felt pedestiran, but we had good character development, which is why I'm torn between a higher and lower score and settled for a 7.
  • Background Story Gets Interesting

"Wujing" opens with big violence as a banker's SUV is shot-up, his laptop stolen, and his hand severed for biometric use. Is NBC following CBS with ramped up realism in the violence area?

So when the data on the laptop can't be decrypted one of the theifs says "Call Raymond Reddington". It appears in some cases of the blacklist Raymond's hits simply come to him instead of vice-versa. Red is slick as we already see it's his manipulation which is his trump card. The Chinese need the encrypted name for their next spy hit as apparently this particular one was a double-agent working primarily for the CIA. Anyway, the Chinese spy net's reached into the US and Reddington and Keen were especially good together in the tense situation staged in an underground bunker. They have that healty tension.

This episode dropped three bombs related to the unknown stories swirling around Keen. First, her husband's hidden gun has been used in an homicide so black it's classified. Next, there is an man fond of apples (the fruit) who totally wired their townhouse. Finally, Reddington insinuates a big connection to Keen's father and himself (uh, he's putting it out he may actually be her dad which may be a writer's red herring).

And so, besides Reddington's sly manipulation (the viewer is never really sure if he's tipping toward good or just killing with impunity for more evil) we have "who is Tom?" and "who are the watchers"? Combine it with this week's good "black-lister" of the week" and WuJing comes up a winner. By the way, though she's a bit too fresh faced Megan Boone is pulling off her opposite to Spader well. It's Spader's cake for sure, but Boone's proving to be excellent icing!
  • Spader is cool

I am really, really liking this show. I think it is Spader at his best. Cool, blunt and very, very shady. Not real crazy about the female lead, but I will continue to watch because of Spader. I really don't think he is her father but knows him, maybe worked with him and they were best of friends. Maybe he killed her father for some reason. But his cool calm is awesome. I think her husband is a agent for someone but I don't know who yet, there has to be some reason why her house is being bugged. I even like the music they are using for this show. I plan on watching more of this and know it will become one of the better new shows. It is really getting my interest and I am intrigued.
  • This is turning out to be a great show!

This is turning out to be a great show! Perfect mix of humor and action, although a little unrealistic, it works!
  • Slowly growing on me

While I still dislike the female lead (and her blonde babyface colleague) as well as most of the dialogues, I start to think the show could be interesting after all. I just hope they won't overdo it with the suspense father-wise Reddington being Keen's daddy would've been just *too* plain, but they shouldn't stretch it anyway (already had too many characters with daddy-issues in some way or the other, first one coming to mind is good old Sydney Bristow).

So, I'm curious how it'll develop, if it will develop, and if Spader will grow some hair on his head ;-)
  • Still going strong

So we're getting to the end of the "First four" that many TV critics judge the new show by.

And I have to say, I think I'll be sticking around for The Blacklist.

I can't quite pinpoint just WHAT makes it so interesting to me, since I'm regularly rolling my eyes because of plotholes, strange plotdevices, overacting and other "no-no's" - but it is.

Interesting, that is.

They've managed to walk a fine line between suspense and annoyance with the Daddy-plot and the Hubby-plot, and that's not bad - Keen is actually behaving moderately logically in both, in my opinion; as soon as she discarded the idea of bringing in or confronting her husband, she started digging (and I liked the scene where she got the bullet, nicely done!), and as far as Reddington goes, she's trying to dig more out of him the only way she knows how.

The kicker with the ballistics report (CLASSIFIED!) and what it means ("This goes all the way to the Secretary of Defence!") was a good hook for whatever hubby-plot will follow next.

I'm becoming more and more certain that Red is NOT Keen's father, but that there is a connection between them nevertheless, and my interest in Red's origin is escalating too.

Apparently, the history between him and Keen Sr. is too complicated to just put out there, but it's clearly an emotional minefield of some sort; he seems to feel Keen is someone really important to him personally, and when the chips were down during this weeks case, he stepped between her and an aimed gun, and didn't hesitate to kill when she was at risk.

Yes, his own safety was tied to hers, but I got the impression he was more concerned for HER safety, than his own.

Popular theories now: Red is her uncle, Keens father was the one who turned Red to the Dark Side, Keen's father accidentally pulled Red into a life of crime (by accidentally framing him for selling nationa secrets?), Red killed Keens' father - these are but a few.

Favourite moments:

Red spinning a story about how he acquired his DARPA-chip - "taken hostage by Somalian pirates". :D

Keen getting a bullet from the gun she found in her hubby's stash - clever girl!

Red stepping in front of Keen when she was being threatened with a gun - survival or protective instinct?

• They are Stepping it Up!

This was way better than the last two acting wise and plotwise. I was very entertained . I still think the actress is mismatched her sulky moodiness is annoying. But the story moved along just fine. I wonder how long before the word gets out that after meeting Reddington bad things happen to you. I hope the writers take that note .
  • That's better :)

This episode sure wasn't perfect, but it was more solid in terms of plot than the past 2 were, and as always the acting was great :)

I get the impression that the writers of this show are terrible at mystery, but great at suspense.

Once again none of the "twists" were a surprise, but the episode focused on the suspense in the scenes rather than the set-up and reveal like last week's. This, I think, plays better to the writers' strengths.

The writing is unfortunately still the weakest link of the show, however if the majority of episodes do as this one did and avoid having the writers try (and fail) to be clever/surprising, instead opting for suspense, action etc [or they somehow actually get some writers who actually know how to weave a satisfying mystery] I'll happily watch :)
  • Getting by on street smarts

I just love how this program unashamedly juggernauts along with so many "plotholes" in it's way. The fact that for some strange reason the chemistry between James Spader and Elizabeth Keen seems to work, and they can both act, mean that some really ridiculous episodes (and lets face it this is only the first 3) are fun and its entertaining... just wonder if they can keep it up in the longer term... hope so ;-)

(Only a 7.5 rating because some of its so ridiculous that it's great... but the programs seem to get there ;-) )