The Bob Newhart Show

CBS (ended 1978)

IndianaMom

The Bob Newhart Show Fan Reviews (11)

• A great discovery and a fantastic comedy series...Hi, Bob!

I was surprised with the Season 1 DVD set this Christmas and I gave it a whirl. It's one of the best surprises I've had in a while! I was familiar with Bob Newhart's comedy (his telephone routines, including a call with Abe Lincoln's press agent) and I consider him to be one of the best stand-up comics of all time. Well, he's also a great sitcom performer and he makes the seamless transition to TV.

Unlike a lot of "star" vehicles, Newhart usually ends up playing straight man to the characters around him, and he has a great cast of players to bounce off of. My favorite so far has to be Howard, the perpetually jet-lagged navigator from next door, but the gang at the office (Jerry and Carol) get in more than their share of laughs. And I have a huge crush now on 70's era-Suzanne Pleshette. If there's a better "TV wife," I haven't seen her yet.

I loved Season 1 so much, I picked up Season 2 also. This has become my new favorite to unwind and laugh after work. Thanks, Bob...laughter really is the best medicine!