The Book Group

Channel 4 (ended 2003)

The Book Group Fan Reviews (2)

• Cult classic - different to anything at the time.

Sadly there were very few episodes of The Book Group and it ran for only a short period of time - typical of a Channel 4 series. I found at times most of the characters were likeable on only a basic level and they were not easy to relate to until the show began to develop, by which time it was almost finished. In spite of this I still found it fun to watch and I still pull out the DVD's from time to time. Although there wasn't anything like it at the time, Channel 4 have spewed out some similar shows - not in plot but in style - since BG, some of which were good, some were average and some were garbage but I'll always consider this to be an original series with some classic episodes, short run or not.
  • A different type of show.

When I first read about this show that was about to appear on channel 4, I really did not think much about it. I wouldn't have even watched the first episode had it not been for complete lack of anything else decent on the tv to watch. I am now so glad that tv is so bad on the whole.

This tv show was a delight from the start to the end of its second series. None of the characters are very likable but this added to the show's appeal for me. The main character claire is a prime example of this where she is akward most of the time and even depressed but the chracters played well off each other. The fact that the show was full of scottish people, apart from claire, also helped as I am scottish and there are not too many great tv shows st in our country. I was gutted when the show never got a third series but the first two are excellent pieces of television.