The Book of Daniel Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

Is it true that this show was only supposed to be 8 eps long?

Tokimasa

[1]Jan 27, 2006
    • level: 10
    Then why did NBC pull it? I mean, the only thing in its place is going to be Law and Order reruns, which are going to get lower viewer ratings than Book of Daniel, and they aren't going to have a new show ready for the air before the 8 eps would have been up anyway. After the Olympics, NBC should finish the run of Daniel. If they don't want it any more, at least they need to let the writers wrap everything up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SweetTreat

[2]Jan 27, 2006
    • level: 1
    From what I read, it isn't the ratings that got the show pulled. The Christian Conservative Group, The American Family Associatian and Focus on the family all lobbyed to get the show pulled. In their ventures they threatened NBC stating that as long as the show aired they would boycott the station and advise other christians to do so, further stating they would do the same to anyone that sponsored the show and their products. So...now we have a few problems. Sponsors are afraid they'll be targeted so they don't want to sponsor the show and nbc knows the power of the right wing conservative parties. Of course any "responsible" company will blame it on the ratings, or lack there of. However considering the book of daniel was bringing in more viewers than oprah...I don't buy that excuse.

Here from the AFA:

AFA Says NBC’s Pulling of “Daniel” Shows Power of Pocketbook
    (Tupelo, MS) - The American Family Association (AFA) says that NBC’s decision to pull “The Book of Daniel” shows the power of the pocketbook.

“NBC didn’t want to eat their economic losses,” said AFA Chairman Donald E. Wildmon. “Had NBC not had to eat millions of dollars each time it aired, NBC would have kept ‘Daniel’ alive. But when the sponsors dropped the program, NBC decided it didn’t want to continue the fight.”

“This shows the average American that he doesn’t have to simply sit back and take the trash being offered on TV, but he can get involved and fight back with his pocketbook,” Wildmon said. “We want to thank the 678,394 individuals who sent emails to NBC and the thousands who called and emailed their local affiliates.”

guytwo

[3]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    With all these systems in place some people still aren't happy for some reason:

1. mandated rating system
    2. the cable company offers a filter box
    3. TV's come with a parental blocking system built in
    4. an on/off button and
    5. a channel changer on all TV's
    6. most important is discussion about what and why you disapprove of something, but apparently this is to rational and time consuming.

Some groups will never be happy no matter what is done, or not done, to appease them. Sometimes I feel sorry for people that are so small minded, but mostly I fear them as they think God is only on their side and thus they can do no wrong. These people are dangerous.

jhn31

[4]Jan 29, 2006
    • level: 4
    I'm ashamed to share a home state with the ridiculous AFA...

kopeckee

[5]Feb 6, 2006
    • level: 20
    by Jack Kenny, series creator I want to make one thing very clear to both the fans of the show and to its foes: Kevin Reilly [president, NBC Entertainment] and NBC have always been the strongest supporters of this show. As disappointed and heartbroken and infuriated as I am with its premature cancellation, the blame, I believe, lies not with them... nor with the advertisers or the affiliates. These are all entities who are trying to run a business. The disappearance of The Book of Daniel can only be blamed on the small-minded people who blindly followed the hate-mongering, money-hungry carnival barkers who dare to call themselves "reverend." Obviously, I'm not speaking about real preachers, pastors, priests or rectors who spend their lives spreading the word of God, doing His good work, helping those less fortunate than themselves. I'm not talking about the men and women who toil for the glory of almighty God. No. I'm talking about those who toil for the glory of the almighty dollar — and call it "God's work"! Those people who use and manipulate good, honest Christians, wielding fear and shame as their weapons, rather than love and acceptance as their gifts. Entertainment outlets don't hide behind some facade of high morality. They're a business, and they survive by making money. Well, the same is true of some of these "family organizations" and the like. And they don't make nearly as much money spreading the word of God, as they do silencing the words of others.

vivaldi4

[6]Feb 7, 2006
    • level: 5
    Right on, Brother!

(lol)

I liked the show, I'd like to see it revived on cable, but it wasn't just the holy-roller crowd that killed it. Friday is one of the toughest nights of the week to sell since most folks are out celebrating the end of another work-week. The people who don't go out -- mostly family types of the mom, dad, & kids variety or elderly -- are going to want to see something more tame. "Little House on the Prairie" type stuff or a good detective show. BOD really should have been slotted for Sunday nights at 9 pm.

Knavehart

[7]Feb 8, 2006
    • level: 12
    vivaldi4 wrote:
    Right on, Brother!

(lol)

I liked the show, I'd like to see it revived on cable, but it wasn't just the holy-roller crowd that killed it. Friday is one of the toughest nights of the week to sell since most folks are out celebrating the end of another work-week. The people who don't go out -- mostly family types of the mom, dad, & kids variety or elderly -- are going to want to see something more tame. "Little House on the Prairie" type stuff or a good detective show. BOD really should have been slotted for Sunday nights at 9 pm.

Sunday night at 9? isn't that deperate housewives' slot?

Skevast

[8]Jun 14, 2009
    • level: 8
    The Book Of Daniell was great, it's a shame a few who didn't like it are forcing the rest not to watch it. It's the 21st century, people shouldn't be so sensetive to gay's lesbians ore even addicts. This people are all around us and showing a priest who himself has an addiction problem and loves his son who's a gay shouldn't be so terrible. I believe it would be worst if he hated his son and preached he would go to hell if he didn't stop being gay.

This show actually showed the church from a nice perspektiv because the most priests aren't so gay friendly. They showed the church is just as flawed as the rest of us and that makes it easyer for the rest of us to idetify with the church.

I think the church actually shoot themselves in the foot cancelling the show, this show made the church hip and modern and if they wouldn't cancel it the show would attract more church goers. Maybe the church don't want to attract this kind of people? however God should be forgiving so I don't understand why the church shouldn't.

People believe that God created all, however they don't like homosexuality. Now that we didn't have any major World Wars for over 50 years homosexuality is Natures best invention for population controll, even animals are homosexual and that's the best evidence homosexuality isn't a choice.

The church still believes homosexuality is a choice. We who are heterosexual should think twice how it would be if the church forced us to be homosexual. It is just as disgusting for os heterosexual to force ourselves to be homosexual as Vice Versa. That's why we should think twice before we demand homosexuals to become hetero.

When the natural resources aren't enough the nature does strange things to reshape our world. And we should ask ourselves what is better? That we kill eachother or that some of us are born homosexual? The nature has accepted homosexuality and so should we, mostly cause God created nature...