The Book of Daniel Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

light up people; it's just a tv show

Oujisama-san

[1]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 2
    Personally I think the only reason that it offends some christians is that it exposes the truths of the world we live in; These are characters that are very true to life.

it's refreshing to see a show about christians who are actually REAL PEOPLE. I mean, had he not been a minister, no one would have cared. people are flawed, and if you don't like the truth, then fine. don't watch it, but protesting it will only make it worse for you. Heck, to be personally honest, I thought the show was ridiculus in the previews of it and never gave a thought of seeing it till all of the drama started; I ending up watching it tosee what all the fuss is about. I love it now, and will do everything in my power to see that it stays on FOREVER!!!!

btw; isn't it kind of ironic that the most honorable, christian in the family is the gay son who's going to be a med student?

I just wish that more shows had the courage to be as honest about the worlds around them as this series.

and besides; let's not pretend that christians dont make THEMSELVES look bad.

every religion has it share of crazy idiots; it's just that christians seem to have their crazy's exposed quicker.

The bottom line is, are the people doing bad things? duh! should they strive to be better? of course! Is this an honest portayal of humans who just happen to be christian? yes.

Should you have judged the show before even seeing it? no;I don't mind if you complain, but at least take a look at what your judging before pointing the finger, for you may find yourself in front of a mirror.

(but thanks for the free publicity! ^.~)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FanWriter

[2]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    Yeah, all this complaining about the series only got it higher ratings.

HelloKittyFan

[3]Jan 7, 2006
    • level: 1
    Yes, I did watch the show. It would be really STUPID to critique something without watching it first.
    I'm not bent out of shape because it portrays Christians in a bad light-- I don't like it because it is sucky TV and very "safe" in its own way. As I said in a previous post, religion is just an incidental element in the show, just a superficial veneer to provide shock value: "Ohhhh look how scandalous these supposed Episcopalians are!!!!" Then it just degenerates into a very soap-opera-ish melodrama full of cliches: rebellious teen daugher into computer comics (hello! Wasn't that darlene from Roseanne?) Then there's the gay son character: sorry but the gay-outsider-who-is- more-moral-than-the-professed-moral-majority is pretty much a stock character at this point. I mean, if these writers want to satirize Christian hypocrisy, then they should at least do a good job of it, instead of throwing together a bunch of tired story lines. I mean write real characters instead of one-note problem characters. Like the adopted son for instance--- it's as if they said, oh, Asians are supposed to be really responsible goody two shoes, so let's make Adam into a naughty boy. Sorry folks, but that doesn't translate into an original character-- it's just really contrived. It's like they applied the same formula for everybody on the show: make every character the opposite of the person they appear to be, give each one a "quirk" and the sum total will be originality, and let's also put a religious gloss on everything for shock value/marketabiltiy. SAD!!! PATHETIC!!!!

archangelcory16

[4]Jan 8, 2006
    • level: 32
    Nearly every thread on this board is these same discussions. Going on over and over and over...

Are we in purgatory?!

jubidoo

[5]Jan 8, 2006
    • level: 6
    the show is great. does anyone know what ranking it got in the ratings?

FanWriter

[6]Jan 8, 2006
    The first hour received a 6.0/10 (the exact same amount that In Justice received at 9pm) then the second hour dipped a little and received 5.7/10. That's probably around 9 or 10 million viewers, which is good for NBC on Friday nights (its the exact same amount that Third Watch averaged last year), so I think they'll keep it. It will only air 8 episodes, but I think NBC will renew for more episodes or a second season or hopefully both. Tomorrow, the actual ratings in viewers will be out and I'll post them as soon as possible.

Maddog30

[7]Jan 24, 2006
    It has been cancelled

newjackswing

[8]Jan 24, 2006
    • level: 4
    so much 4 those high ratings

[9]Jan 25, 2006
    So, it cancelled! "Light up people' it;s just a tv show".

Maddog30

[10]Jan 25, 2006
    yeah but it was a good one, oh well