The Book of Daniel Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

People are Stupid!

  • Avatar of smomma

    smomma

    [1]Jan 5, 2006
    • member since: 11/18/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 157
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mcDVDA

    mcDVDA

    [2]Jan 5, 2006
    • member since: 11/24/04
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 2
    That's called Censorship people... I'm sick of conservatives stopping a little thing called "free speech" in the name of god. If you think the show sounds bad, here's a novel idea, Don't Watch It. All and all calling for a banning of a show will just make more people want to see it, so I guess, keep it up. But stations that do censor shows should be called out by someone who still likes free speech.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of mastertofue

    mastertofue

    [3]Jan 5, 2006
    • member since: 02/12/04
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 3
    Well, its no surprise to me that the first Christ centered show aired in recent history on a major network is one that represents the Christian walk as tolerant and accepting of total filth.
    An obvious ploy to undermine the strong ideals of the Christian faith, through a guise of comedy. "Hey people, Christians are just hypocrites who really don't try to make a difference in their own lives, while telling others to do so." Oh, Oh my gosh, that's freaking hilarious!!! Thank God for free speech and comedy, I don't need integrity or truthful representation because anyone who thinks it's wrong is just close-minded and "conservative", just hating free speech!
    No people, you could never air a show about the seriousness of God and His standards, cause that would include suffering, martyrdom, major convictions of the heart, and most of all hard hard truth that people want to stay away from.

    Nevertheless, don't forget that it was strong Christian faith that gave you the freedom to cut it down. Kind of like God, He gave you ability to choose to like Him or hate Him, and died to make an escape from all our corroding "comedy". It could have been easy for Him to force you to like Him, but then that wouldn't be God.

    Its simple, people like sin, so people will do anything and everything to make sure they are not convicted for it. So lets represent the only thing that can convict sin as something that loves sin, and call it comedy!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Bango_Berryrush

    Bango_Berryrush

    [4]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/21/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 719
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    It's not stupid at all. It's offensive for us Christians.

    On the show, the father/minister is a pain pill addict. His wife is a drunk. His daughter is a drug addict. His son is a homosexual. His secretary is gay and sleeps with his sister-in-law. And most of all, they claim to be Christians!

    By these examples, you don't know why Christians are fighting against this filth to air on tv?

    We're not some crazy people. Jews wouldn't like it if there was a show making fun of them! Neither would Muslims like a show that disgraced their religion the way "The Book of Daniel" does Christianity.

    Come on, have some respect!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of foolishtv

    foolishtv

    [5]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 48
    • rank: Conehead
    • posts: 271
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    It's not stupid at all. It's offensive for us Christians.

    On the show, the father/minister is a pain pill addict. His wife is a drunk. His daughter is a drug addict. His son is a homosexual. His secretary is gay and sleeps with his sister-in-law. And most of all, they claim to be Christians!

    By these examples, you don't know why Christians are fighting against this filth to air on tv?

    We're not some crazy people. Jews wouldn't like it if there was a show making fun of them! Neither would Muslims like a show that disgraced their religion the way "The Book of Daniel" does Christianity.

    Come on, have some respect!


    Thanks, Bango_Berryrush. Yeah, it seemed like on TV, offending Christians are okay; offending other groups are not. If this show is about Muslims, it would be a worldwide outrage.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of smomma

    smomma

    [7]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 11/18/05
    • level: 9
    • rank: Door Number 2
    • posts: 157
    foolishtv wrote:
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    It's not stupid at all. It's offensive for us Christians.

    On the show, the father/minister is a pain pill addict. His wife is a drunk. His daughter is a drug addict. His son is a homosexual. His secretary is gay and sleeps with his sister-in-law. And most of all, they claim to be Christians!

    By these examples, you don't know why Christians are fighting against this filth to air on tv?

    We're not some crazy people. Jews wouldn't like it if there was a show making fun of them! Neither would Muslims like a show that disgraced their religion the way "The Book of Daniel" does Christianity.

    Come on, have some respect!


    Thanks, Bango_Berryrush. Yeah, it seemed like on TV, offending Christians are okay; offending other groups are not. If this show is about Muslims, it would be a worldwide outrage.


    First of all, I am a Christian... and yet it still pisses me off that religious freaks like you two would take time out of your day to call in and gripe and complain about a show that you havent even seen yet!
    You know everyone is not perfect, a christian CAN be gay!
    A Christian CAN be an addict .. to anything, pills, alcohol,.. etc
    A Christian CAN have family memebers that are not perfect either!
    let me tell you something CHRISTIANS ARE NOT PERFECT!!!!
    no one is!
    And the fact the Jesus Christ is a charc in the story ... maybe its Jesus trying to help him see the right path.. but who knows?.. you dont cause you havent seen the show yet!

    I think I made my point!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Godiswatching

    Godiswatching

    [8]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9
    [QUOTE="Bango_Berryrush"]
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    It's not stupid at all. It's offensive for us Christians.

    On the show, the father/minister is a pain pill addict. His wife is a drunk. His daughter is a drug addict. His son is a homosexual. His secretary is gay and sleeps with his sister-in-law. And most of all, they claim to be Christians!

    _________________________

    Pardon me, but I am a Christian and I look forward to the show. I am not offended by something I have YET to see. You do not have the right to speak for ALL Christians.

    I consider people such as Jerry Falwell to be hateful false prophets and much more harmful to children than an idea of a "Kindly" Jesus figure on a tv show.

    I wonder if all the people who make such derogatory remarks about the pills and alcohol remember that this is a couple who has just lost a beloved son. I think the idea of Jesus appearing to mentor one of them is great. Hmmmm...I wonder if Jesus would call people "drunks?"

    Perhaps if one of the parents weighed 300 pounds and had an addition to excess food people would be more sympathetic? Or if the pills were cigarettes instead? Or if the kids did nothing but stare at a computer or tv screen from sun-up til sun-down and couldn't do a push-up to save their lives..would that be better received?

    All this energy wasted on something that could turn out to be a positive thing. Sad. People haven't really changed much in 2,000 years. Always casting stones.

    As for the homosexual thing...well yes, I guess you're right that is terrible, all we have to do is remember what Jesus said about THAT!! Oh...um...wait...uh...He, uh, never talked about that. Never. Whoops! My bad!

    Well, wait, there is the LESBIAN issue, and the entire Bible is certainly clear on THAT!! Oh, oops, wait...oh yeah, right, it's never mentioned. Not once. Not one single time anywhere in the Bible. Not a word. Although it DOES mention how men raping men or raping women is an abomination. So is eating shrimp, lobster and pork. And wearing pearls. Oh, and wearing blended fabrics (better go check the labels in my clothes!) Of course, I could always simply pick and choose my beliefs the way so many other people do. Condemn the gays, then go out for a nice surf and turf dinner. Yum!

    I guess that just leaves the daughter. I believe she supposedly "sells" drugs, doesn't use them herself. Splitting hairs. Either way...Hmmm...so this part of the show deals with a father worried about this problem. He's probably pulling his hair out over it and trying to figure out what to do. Like lots of parents. Lots of good parents who discover their kid(s) have gotten involved with drugs. I'd bet it has even happened to...dare I say...Christians. I bet there are at least 8 or 9 Christian parents out there who have found drugs or cigarettes or alcohol in their teenagers room. (Maybe even porn!) Why is this yet another reason to boycott a show? I highly doubt that as time goes on we're gonna see the folks and The Lord tokin' down around the fireplace and eating Fritos. I would make a small wager that Jesus will show some good guidance to the father on how to deal with this, or simply be there as a comfort to him. Yup, totally evil stuff, can't let the kiddies watch this kind of show!

    Just when I was excited about a new program that has the potential to be really good, look at all the controversy. People, you haven't even SEEN it yet! I'd sure rather watch Jesus than hear another word about Tom/Kat. Shudder. You know the things I've been reading on this and other message boards makes me think "Little House on the Prairie" would be boycotted by some group or another.

    Judge not, lest ye be judged.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of rawart

    rawart

    [9]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Bango_Berryrush I find it offensive that you think your opinion and beliefs in a make believe friend can control what I watch on TV. I am smart enough to turn off the TV when I do not want to see what is on. I think you should not be allowed to go to church. To think that you support the pedophiles, leads me to question your very moral fiber. You are not of the character to judge what normal people watch on TV.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of JakobB

    JakobB

    [10]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/23/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 11
    Part of the Christian faith is recognizing that everyone is a sinner. I think that Christ can talk to people who are sinners, because he loves them. Having a show on TV that portrays flawed people that sin but who try to have a relationship with God, who try not to sin and fail, who try to understand the nature of sin is in my mind a good thing. To judge and condemn an intelligent discussion on the nature of a spiritual life, of living in a modern-day world while still trying to be honest and authentic and godly is a blasphemy in itself. If you think the show encourages people to drink, to be drug addicts, to be sex addicts after you watch it at least once, then you have the right to an opinion. But you do have to watch it first. After, you can choose not to watch the show, you can write to the advertisers, or the networks. But remember the networks will do whatever ratings dictate, whatever money dictates... it will have nothing to do with sin or morality, or the lack of it. It will have to with power. And if it makes you feel powerful to judge and not to listen, it will also make you a sinner.

    So I wouldn't be throwing the first stone, if I were you...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of 8052681619

    8052681619

    [11]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/16/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 128
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    If this show involved the same characters except that the patriarch of the family was a muslim cleric instead of a priest, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The reason why? Its okay to bash Christians but its not okay to offend muslims.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FanWriter

    FanWriter

    [12]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 2,621
    Do people honestly think that a show would be made to purposely "bash christians?" YOU HAVENT SEEN THE SHOW, STOP COMPLAINING! Just because a show doesnt portray a Christian family as perfect, in which no family is perfect, it doesnt mean they are bashing Christians.

    And at this time period that we are in, you cant really compare Christianity to Muslims when Christians arent seen as terrorists or face hate by ignorant people in America, Christianity is the dominate religion in America.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of panachat

    panachat

    [13]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 09/03/05
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 10
    The reaction to the Book of Daniel has nothing to do with the feat of bashing Christianity - if it were, 7th Heaven would have been cancelled years ago because of its depiction of Christians as petty, hormonal, woman-hating, self-righteous and judgemental idiots. The campaign against The Book of Daniel is engineered by right-wing homophobes - plain and simple. 7th Heaven ran for ten seasons, is probably the worst family drama in terms of acting, writing and production values in the history of television, but it has no mention of homosexuality whatsoever.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dretceterini

    dretceterini

    [14]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 7
    panachat wrote:
    The reaction to the Book of Daniel has nothing to do with the feat of bashing Christianity - if it were, 7th Heaven would have been cancelled years ago because of its depiction of Christians as petty, hormonal, woman-hating, self-righteous and judgemental idiots. The campaign against The Book of Daniel is engineered by right-wing homophobes - plain and simple. 7th Heaven ran for ten seasons, is probably the worst family drama in terms of acting, writing and production values in the history of television, but it has no mention of homosexuality whatsoever.


    I agree. Not everyone is a Christian or even a theist. As a scientist I find the idea that someone knows "the Mind of God", or the "Nature of existence" is patently absurd, yet every day "Religionists" attempt to impose their personal beliefs upon everyone else. I simply find this show funny.

    Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD (Theoretical Physics)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Godiswatching

    Godiswatching

    [15]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9
    panachat wrote:
    ... The campaign against The Book of Daniel is engineered by right-wing homophobes - plain and simple. 7th Heaven ran for ten seasons, is probably the worst family drama in terms of acting, writing and production values in the history of television, but it has no mention of homosexuality whatsoever.

    _____________________
    Well put.

    My favorite news story so far this year:

    http://www.wfmy.com/news/article.aspx?storyid=54747

    ~~~
    Rev. Lonnie Latham was arrested after allegedly soliciting an undercover officer.

    Oklahoma, OK -- A leader of the Southern Baptist Convention has been arrested in Oklahoma City on a lewdness complaint for allegedly propositioning a plainclothes policeman.

    Police say the Reverend Lonnie Latham was arrested Tuesday night in a motel parking lot after soliciting an officer who was posing as a male prostitute.

    Latham is pastor of South Tulsa Baptist Church and is on the executive committee of the Southern Baptist Convention. He has spoken out in the past against homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

    After posting bond, Latham told KFOR TV in Oklahoma City that he was set up, and was in the area ministering to people.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    And this is a guy who preaches against homosexuals. Probably started a few boycotts too. NIIIIIIICE.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [16]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    dretceterini wrote:
    panachat wrote:
    The reaction to the Book of Daniel has nothing to do with the feat of bashing Christianity - if it were, 7th Heaven would have been cancelled years ago because of its depiction of Christians as petty, hormonal, woman-hating, self-righteous and judgemental idiots. The campaign against The Book of Daniel is engineered by right-wing homophobes - plain and simple. 7th Heaven ran for ten seasons, is probably the worst family drama in terms of acting, writing and production values in the history of television, but it has no mention of homosexuality whatsoever.


    I agree. Not everyone is a Christian or even a theist. As a scientist I find the idea that someone knows "the Mind of God", or the "Nature of existence" is patently absurd, yet every day "Religionists" attempt to impose their personal beliefs upon everyone else. I simply find this show funny.

    Dr.Stuart Schaller, PhD (Theoretical Physics)


    I mean no offense but I find the fact that you say it's absurd for anyone to "know God" offensive. Just because you believe in evolution or whatever doesn't mean you should think religious people are being stupid.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [17]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    I find it rather stupid that people would say that the people in this show are not "real Christians".

    Would one the people who've been complaining please try to tell me that there aren't Christian drug addicts? Or Christian teenagers who have sex? Or Christian families that have gay family members?

    Because if so, you'd be lying. Just because this show doesn't make them a prototype for what Christians want to be doesn't mean that it's mocking Christianity...it's simply being realistic.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Godiswatching

    Godiswatching

    [18]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    [QUOTE="dretceterini

    Just because you believe in evolution or whatever doesn't mean you should think religious people are being stupid.


    If evolution is wrong how do you explain humans and chimps having 98.5% of the same DNA?

    Oh, btw, the Official position of the Catholic Church...

    "The Catholic Church’s position regarding evolution is that its sees no contradiction between the scientific theory of evolution and the Church’s view of man’s creation by God. Both Pope Pius XII in 1950 and Pope John Paul II in 1996 have stated that evolution, so long as it does not attempt to say that man’s soul does not come from God, is not inconsistent with what a Catholic can believe in."

    Basically, like Jesus said, don't take things TOOOO lierally or ya might just miss the point of the story.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm Okay...You're..Divine!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [19]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    Godiswatching wrote:
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    [QUOTE="dretceterini

    Just because you believe in evolution or whatever doesn't mean you should think religious people are being stupid.


    If evolution is wrong how do you explain humans and chimps having 98.5% of the same DNA?

    Oh, btw, the Official position of the Catholic Church...

    "The Catholic Church’s position regarding evolution is that its sees no contradiction between the scientific theory of evolution and the Church’s view of man’s creation by God. Both Pope Pius XII in 1950 and Pope John Paul II in 1996 have stated that evolution, so long as it does not attempt to say that man’s soul does not come from God, is not inconsistent with what a Catholic can believe in."

    Basically, like Jesus said, don't take things TOOOO lierally or ya might just miss the point of the story.

    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I'm Okay...You're..Divine!


    Um, I don't intend to start a debate with this but I'll say one thing - the fact that all living life forms have DNA that's so closely related seems to me to prove that we were created by one God - after all, wouldn't he make things similar? He would use the same basic makeup.

    To me the idea of evolution is silly. I've never had a science teacher who believed it, and only taught it because it's required by law.

    I believe that science and religion can go hand in hand in most cases, but there's no real proof whatsoever that evolution is real. And why would God just evolve us? That seems silly. (But I don't necessarily believe he made Adam with dirt and a puff of his breath, either.)

    And it also says man was created in God's own image. It pretty much IMPLIES that we looked like him at the beginning. The God I worship is neither a single-celled organism or a hairy primate, but a man.

    I've read books preaching FOR evolution and books AGAINST it, and so far all evidence, IMO, points against, but it's not an argument that's going to be resolved.

    But if you want to believe you evolved from a monkey, be my guest.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [20]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    BTW, I'm not Catholic either so I don't really much care what they have to say on the matter, and I think they pretty much only said that to shut people up.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.