The Book of Daniel Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

People are Stupid!

  • Avatar of Godiswatching

    Godiswatching

    [21]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9
    archangelcory16 wrote:
    BTW, I'm not Catholic either so I don't really much care what they have to say on the matter, and I think they pretty much only said that to shut people up.


    Tee Hee...you're funny! Possibly, you know those Craaaazy Catholics!

    I'm not gonna try and beat the evolution issue with a stick, it's just that years ago I knew a girl who (along with her siblings and cousins) had been home-schooled by a group of ministers. She told me I was crazy if I believed we were related to apes. She was also 23 yeas old before she found out that the milk you get in a grocery store comes from a cow. I SWEAR this is a true story, so help me God! She kept telling me I was wrong, and I still remember the look of horror on her face when we stopped strangers on the street and they confirmed to her that indeed milk comes from cows. It was as if her whole world stopped for a minute. I felt bad for her (though now I find it humorous) and I kept wondering how in the heck a seemingly intelligent person with a steady job could go 23 years without questioning something so simple. I never brought up the subject of eggs...I think it might have killed her. LOL!

    I don't mean any offense to you, it's just that whenever I hear the "maybe YOU came from a monkey, but I didn't" kind of comment, it makes me remember her saying that. I was laughing for five minutes before I could type this!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [22]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    Godiswatching wrote:
    I don't mean any offense to you, it's just that whenever I hear the "maybe YOU came from a monkey, but I didn't" kind of comment, it makes me remember her saying that. I was laughing for five minutes before I could type this!


    lol, Well I'm just saying you can believe that if you wish but I don't...but I guess in a way it is kinda funny.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of lkrmw

    lkrmw

    [23]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 05/31/03
    • level: 3
    • rank: Soup Nazi
    • posts: 31
    Well the show wasn't talking about evolution, so why is everyone doing it. This tangent does not solve anything. Since the birth of mankind, we have had battles over the very issue of what we believe in. This one upmenship of my god is better than your god is just being transferred, except now you guys are debating whether God or science is the superior ruler of the universe. Can we all just get along and be content with the perfection/imperfection of order/chaos, whichever exists.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ladycatherine

    ladycatherine

    [24]Jan 6, 2006
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 14
    • rank: Autobot
    • posts: 1,502
    [QUOTE="Godiswatching"]
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    As for the homosexual thing...well yes, I guess you're right that is terrible, all we have to do is remember what Jesus said about THAT!! Oh...um...wait...uh...He, uh, never talked about that. Never. Whoops! My bad!

    Well, wait, there is the LESBIAN issue, and the entire Bible is certainly clear on THAT!! Oh, oops, wait...oh yeah, right, it's never mentioned. Not once. Not one single time anywhere in the Bible. Not a word. Although it DOES mention how men raping men or raping women is an abomination. So is eating shrimp, lobster and pork. And wearing pearls. Oh, and wearing blended fabrics (better go check the labels in my clothes!) Of course, I could always simply pick and choose my beliefs the way so many other people do. Condemn the gays, then go out for a nice surf and turf dinner. Yum!


    Ok, let me first say, Gay, Not Gay, Marry a donkey. Makes no never mind to me. But as for the no mention of the homosexual "thing" in the bible I found these.

    Leviticus 18:22:
    "You shall not lie with a male as those who lie with a female; it is an abomination."

    Leviticus 20:13:
    "If a man lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination and they shall surely be put to death."

    As for the part of Raping, I did find the story of Sadom, when the Angels came to see Lot and the people of his village wanted them (the angels) to come outside so they "could know them".

    I have to ask. Pearls are bad to wear? Thats a new for me. Please explain..
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Willmore

    Willmore

    [25]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 05/17/03
    • level: 2
    • rank: Sweat Hog
    • posts: 2
    To preface my post, I am a non-believer. It's not that I don't believe in God, or in some higher power, it's just that none of the religions particularly interest me, or can answer all the questions.

    Now, to the point of this post. Whenever I hear religious debate, I am reminded of a great episode of one of the greatest TV shows ever. The show is Yes, Minister and its sequel, Yes, Prime Minister. The particular episode that this debate reminds me of is The Bishop’s Gambit. Essentially, the Prime Minister has to choose to appoint one of two candidates. Either a modernist, which is Church code for non-believer. The other is a socialist-leaning man who wants the Queen of England out of the church. It is explained that bishops are irrelevant religious positions, so it will do if the modernist is selected.

    Here's a direct quote:
    Sir Humphrey: The Queen is inseparable from the Church of England."
    Jim Hacker: "And what about God?"
    Sir Humphrey: I think he is what is called an optional extra."

    Another one:
    Sir Humphrey: "The Church is looking for a candidate to maintain the balance."
    Master of Baillie College: "What balance?"
    Sir Humphrey: "Between those that believe in God and those that don't."

    Another:
    Sir Humphrey: "Bishops tend to have long lives. Apparently the Lord isn't all that keen on them to join him."


    Now this is all laughs and jokes, but here's my opinion. I personally can not understand why some Christians can't accept that there are people who do not believe in their God. Why is it that they feel threatened that their religion is being overrun, when they are living in one of the most religious countries on earth ?
    Can't people accept other people's beliefs ?

    If a parent wants to teach his kid that God created the world in a week, and watched football on Sunday, that's his right, noone is stopping him.

    This utter close-mindedness of some people is what trully annoys me, not the religion beliefs of others. I can accept a man who worships his shoe, I can't accept a person who keeps throwing that shoe at me, in order to prove its divinity.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Godiswatching

    Godiswatching

    [26]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9
    [QUOTE="ladycatherine"]
    Godiswatching wrote:
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    As for the homosexual thing...well yes, I guess you're right that is terrible, all we have to do is remember what Jesus said about THAT!! Oh...um...wait...uh...He, uh, never talked about that. Never. Whoops! My bad!

    Well, wait, there is the LESBIAN issue, and the entire Bible is certainly clear on THAT!! Oh, oops, wait...oh yeah, right, it's never mentioned. Not once. Not one single time anywhere in the Bible. Not a word. Although it DOES mention how men raping men or raping women is an abomination. So is eating shrimp, lobster and pork. And wearing pearls. Oh, and wearing blended fabrics (better go check the labels in my clothes!) Of course, I could always simply pick and choose my beliefs the way so many other people do. Condemn the gays, then go out for a nice surf and turf dinner. Yum!


    Ok, let me first say, Gay, Not Gay, Marry a donkey. Makes no never mind to me. But as for the no mention of the homosexual "thing" in the bible I found these.

    Leviticus 18:22:
    "You shall not lie with a male as those who lie with a female; it is an abomination."

    Leviticus 20:13:
    "If a man lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination and they shall surely be put to death."

    As for the part of Raping, I did find the story of Sadom, when the Angels came to see Lot and the people of his village wanted them (the angels) to come outside so they "could know them".

    I have to ask. Pearls are bad to wear? Thats a new for me. Please explain..


    Paul said that women should "adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array" (I Timothy 2:9). That means the church ladies would have to take off their hats, their weaves, thier gold earrings and their pearl necklaces before they could condemn homosexuals. And even then they could not condemn gay men because Paul does not allow women "to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

    The Christian critics of homosexuality rarely mention Jonathan's homosexual love affair with David (I Samuel 18:20, II Samuel 1), the omission of homosexuality from the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20) or Jesus' omission of any criticism of homosexuality. But if homosexuality were such a big concern to Christ, then surely Jesus would have mentioned it AT LEAST ONCE and someone would have recorded it. Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus take up the issue. Instead, when asked to choose the greatest of the commandments (Matthew 22:36), he explains the greatest commandment is to love.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Godiswatching

    Godiswatching

    [27]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 9
    [QUOTE="ladycatherine"]
    Godiswatching wrote:
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    As for the homosexual thing...well yes, I guess you're right that is terrible, all we have to do is remember what Jesus said about THAT!! Oh...um...wait...uh...He, uh, never talked about that. Never. Whoops! My bad!

    Well, wait, there is the LESBIAN issue, and the entire Bible is certainly clear on THAT!! Oh, oops, wait...oh yeah, right, it's never mentioned. Not once. Not one single time anywhere in the Bible. Not a word. Although it DOES mention how men raping men or raping women is an abomination. So is eating shrimp, lobster and pork. And wearing pearls. Oh, and wearing blended fabrics (better go check the labels in my clothes!) Of course, I could always simply pick and choose my beliefs the way so many other people do. Condemn the gays, then go out for a nice surf and turf dinner. Yum!


    Ok, let me first say, Gay, Not Gay, Marry a donkey. Makes no never mind to me. But as for the no mention of the homosexual "thing" in the bible I found these.

    Leviticus 18:22:
    "You shall not lie with a male as those who lie with a female; it is an abomination."

    Leviticus 20:13:
    "If a man lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination and they shall surely be put to death."

    As for the part of Raping, I did find the story of Sadom, when the Angels came to see Lot and the people of his village wanted them (the angels) to come outside so they "could know them".

    I have to ask. Pearls are bad to wear? Thats a new for me. Please explain..


    Paul said that women should "adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with braided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array" (I Timothy 2:9). That means the church ladies would have to take off their hats, their weaves, thier gold earrings and their pearl necklaces before they could condemn homosexuals. And even then they could not condemn gay men because Paul does not allow women "to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence."

    The Christian critics of homosexuality rarely mention Jonathan's homosexual love affair with David (I Samuel 18:20, II Samuel 1), the omission of homosexuality from the Ten Commandments (Exodus 20) or Jesus' omission of any criticism of homosexuality. But if homosexuality were such a big concern to Christ, then surely Jesus would have mentioned it AT LEAST ONCE and someone would have recorded it. Nowhere in the Bible does Jesus take up the issue. Instead, when asked to choose the greatest of the commandments (Matthew 22:36), he explains the greatest commandment is to love.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of grimalkintoo

    grimalkintoo

    [28]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 01/08/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 1
    Your comment reveals that you haven't even watched the show and are simply picking up an inaccurate synopsis from one of the Christian fundamentalist watchdog sites.

    You state: "His secretary is gay and sleeps with his sister-in-law," which is misinformation from that site. Actually, it's Daniel's brother-in-law's secretary who is having an affair with Daniel's sister-in-law.

    The term "talking monkey" refers, among other things, to people who review shows they haven't seen. Try actually watching the show. Then, if you dislike it, complain all you want, or, better yet, switch the channel and let the rest of us watch it without having our viewing habits censored by a group of fanatics.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of dretceterini

    dretceterini

    [29]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 01/07/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 7
    OK, this is from my wife, the Methodist minister whose ministry is teaching the Bible from the original Hebrew and Aramaic.

    I really don't like ignorance. And I particularly don't like people using the Bible to hit other people over the head. So, I address this to those who would use Leviticus to batter homosexuals and I suggest they study what is really said there and why instead of just parroting whatever suits their purpose:

    Please tell me the answers to these questions:

    I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

    Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from enamoring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

    I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Ex 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death am I morally obliged to kill him myself?

    A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10) it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

    Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there some room for negotiation here?

    Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

    I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves.

    My uncle tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town toether to stone him? (Lev. 24:10-16) Could we just burn him to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their inlaws? (Lev. 20:14)
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of ruairi_irish

    ruairi_irish

    [30]Jan 7, 2006
    • member since: 06/15/05
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 77
    dretceterini wrote:
    OK, this is from my wife, the Methodist minister whose ministry is teaching the Bible from the original Hebrew and Aramaic.

    I really don't like ignorance. And I particularly don't like people using the Bible to hit other people over the head. So, I address this to those who would use Leviticus to batter homosexuals and I suggest they study what is really said there and why instead of just parroting whatever suits their purpose:

    Please tell me the answers to these questions:

    I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

    Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from enamoring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

    I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Ex 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death am I morally obliged to kill him myself?

    A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination (Lev. 11:10) it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

    Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20 or is there some room for negotiation here?

    Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

    I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves.

    My uncle tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town toether to stone him? (Lev. 24:10-16) Could we just burn him to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their inlaws? (Lev. 20:14)


    I applaud your wife on accurately translating the Bible. I know when I translated it from it's Grrek Form and Latin form, the differences between those and todays version was amazing. But your message is so true. Some Christians today feel that it is ok to go around and tell people that they are in the wrong because the Bible says so when if you read the Bible in its entirety, you would find that they were probably violating it themselves.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelcory16

    archangelcory16

    [31]Jan 8, 2006
    • member since: 06/17/05
    • level: 32
    • rank: Whammy!
    • posts: 9,413
    It's not like every sin is as bad as every other sin. And of course EVERYONE is going to do something wrong now and then. But I will agree with the fact that many people are to strongly hypocritical and quick to judge when they shouldn't be.

    If I think someone is doing something terribly sinful and I know nothing I say would do anything, I just don't say anything. Not really my problem.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of danspoon

    danspoon

    [32]Jan 8, 2006
    • member since: 10/06/05
    • level: 4
    • rank: Thighmaster
    • posts: 46
    I just didn't feel that it showed the way a minister would deal with problems correctly. He didn't really seem to turn to his faith. In addition it felt to me that the amount of problems thrown at him was a bit over the top. This show is definitely closer to being "Rescue Me" than "Touched by an Angel".
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of FanWriter

    FanWriter

    [33]Jan 8, 2006
    • member since: 04/24/05
    • level: 7
    • rank: Talk Show Host
    • posts: 2,621
    danspoon wrote:
    I just didn't feel that it showed the way a minister would deal with problems correctly. He didn't really seem to turn to his faith. In addition it felt to me that the amount of problems thrown at him was a bit over the top. This show is definitely closer to being "Rescue Me" than "Touched by an Angel".


    Well, I thought he did turn to his faith when he was talking to Jesus. But I guess there is a possibility that he didnt do it enough, I know some people thought that Jesus would have appeared in the show more.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of peppajaa

    peppajaa

    [34]Jan 24, 2006
    • member since: 01/25/06
    • level: 1
    • rank: Weatherman
    • posts: 5
    If people don't like a show they shouldn't watch it!!! But there are people who love this show like me, and I think it stinks that narrow minded, self-rightous, religious fascists ruin it for everybody. Grow up!!!!!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of Maddog30

    Maddog30

    [35]Jan 24, 2006
    • member since: 11/11/03
    • level: 6
    • rank: Small Wonder
    • posts: 1,179
    Is any one in here a Episcopalian follower, because that is what Danial is. Episcopalian is a sect of Christianity that does in fact have a gay bishop. they don't believe in the pope and do not follow him. I suggest the people research fully what the show is about before judging it.

    this is coming from a person who participates in christian holidays but questions the religion. And a person who researches about a show or anything I like.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of smartguy_90640

    smartguy_90640

    [36]Feb 1, 2006
    • member since: 06/09/05
    • level: 15
    • rank: Ginsu Knife
    • posts: 611
    murmurt wrote:
    IF IT IS OFFENSIVE TO YOU THEN DON'T WATCH IT HOW HARD IS THAT FOR US "SINNERS" LET US JUDGE IT ON OUR OWN

    well said,i totally agree...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SonicMania16

    SonicMania16

    [37]Sep 7, 2007
    • member since: 05/05/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 82
    Bango_Berryrush wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!


    It's not stupid at all. It's offensive for us Christians.

    On the show, the father/minister is a pain pill addict. His wife is a drunk. His daughter is a drug addict. His son is a homosexual. His secretary is gay and sleeps with his sister-in-law. And most of all, they claim to be Christians!

    By these examples, you don't know why Christians are fighting against this filth to air on tv?

    We're not some crazy people. Jews wouldn't like it if there was a show making fun of them! Neither would Muslims like a show that disgraced their religion the way "The Book of Daniel" does Christianity.

    Come on, have some respect!
    Right on!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of SonicMania16

    SonicMania16

    [38]Sep 25, 2007
    • member since: 05/05/07
    • level: 5
    • rank: Caveman Lawyer
    • posts: 82
    8052681619 wrote:
    smomma wrote:
    I hate this crap... I am sitting here reading about how an Indiana tv station wont air the show because of people calling in and complaining! THEY HAVENT EVEN SEEN THE SHOW YET! and people are already hating it ... What kind of world do we freaking live in!
    If this show involved the same characters except that the patriarch of the family was a muslim cleric instead of a priest, we wouldn't be having this conversation. The reason why? Its okay to bash Christians but its not okay to offend muslims.
    Why not? I just think that if you are Cristian, but saying it's okay to bash Christians, is hypocritical.
    Edited on 09/25/2007 2:43pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.
  • Avatar of archangelwho

    archangelwho

    [39]Mar 9, 2012
    • member since: 07/13/05
    • level: 18
    • rank: Land Shark
    • posts: 2,232

    The same people who complained about "The Book of Daniel" being dropped are the first ones to demand that a Christian or show from the Right be taken off the air the first time they don't like something. With the Left this "what about free speak", "If you don't like it just don't watch it." , "We have rights to and you should not force your views on us." only goes one way. What really has gotten the Left mad is that after decades of getting people fired and shows cancel while those on the Right and Christians did nothing now those on the Right and Christians are now turning the table on the Left. Like with boycotts the Left views these types of actions as their own and it is really upsetting them that others are using these tactics against them. Neither "GCB" nor "The Book of Daniel" would have even made it to the pilot. Just replace Christian and Daniel with any other group and tell which one would have been made into a TV show in the U.S.A. Not a one!

    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.