The Book of Daniel Forums

NBC (ended 2006)

Wake me when......

PikeBishop

[1]Jan 9, 2006
    • level: 31
    the networks put on a show like this that ridicules Jewish Clergy or, God forbid, Muslims!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ladycatherine

[2]Jan 10, 2006
    • level: 14
    PikeBishop wrote:
    the networks put on a show like this that ridicules Jewish Clergy or, God forbid, Muslims!

I dought this show riducules anyone. It may, by some standards go against what is taught in the bible.

bekrauss

[3]Jan 10, 2006
    • level: 13
    PikeBishop wrote:

I'm not sure that the show is really ridiculing the clergy. It seems more like the show is simply showing clergy members as human and flawed. While the show is clearly over the top, I think the creators actually respect all of the characters, including the clergy members, and Jesus.

PikeBishop

[4]Jan 10, 2006
    If they tried anything like this with Muslims, the show would never get produced let alone aired, same with Jews, Bnai Brith and ADl would be all over it. Christians are the only religion that can be openly mocked in popular media.

Did you see how Fox had to grovel last year over 24 when they had the nerve to use Muslims as terrorists. Of course we know there is absolutly no connection between any members of that faith and terrorism. Fox was forced to air these ridiculous PSA to asuage Muslim advocacy groups.

FanWriter

[5]Jan 10, 2006
    • level: 7
    PikeBishop wrote:
    If they tried anything like this with Muslims, the show would never get produced let alone aired, same with Jews, Bnai Brith and ADl would be all over it. Christians are the only religion that can be openly mocked in popular media.

Did you see how Fox had to grovel last year over 24 when they had the nerve to use Muslims as terrorists. Of course we know there is absolutly no connection between any members of that faith and terrorism. Fox was forced to air these ridiculous PSA to asuage Muslim advocacy groups.

Thats different, because Muslims and even Jews, have negative stereotypes. In 24 (even though I love the show), it reinforced a negative stereotype of Muslims. Book Of Daniel however, IMO, does not stereotype Christians in anyway; it would have stereotyped Christians if the series made them judgemental and closeminded, and even I, who isnt that religous, would have a problem with that.

So this Book Of Daniel, isnt a really good example to compare Muslims and Judaism with, since 24 was the kind of show that was stereotyping when Book Of Daniel isnt. I just think people are making a large deal out of this.

PikeBishop

[6]Jan 10, 2006
    [QUOTE="FanWriter"]
    PikeBishop wrote:

Thats different, because Muslims and even Jews, have negative stereotypes. In 24 (even though I love the show), it reinforced a negative stereotype of Muslims. QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with you there on 24. Did you forget that great scene where the brave Egytian brothers who owned the gun store, decided to help Jack and Paul and fight for their new homeland? That scene did more to show that not all Muslims are terrorists, than any lame PSA.

FanWriter

[7]Jan 11, 2006
    • level: 7
    [QUOTE="PikeBishop"]
    FanWriter wrote:
    PikeBishop wrote:

Thats different, because Muslims and even Jews, have negative stereotypes. In 24 (even though I love the show), it reinforced a negative stereotype of Muslims. QUOTE]

Gotta disagree with you there on 24. Did you forget that great scene where the brave Egytian brothers who owned the gun store, decided to help Jack and Paul and fight for their new homeland? That scene did more to show that not all Muslims are terrorists, than any lame PSA.

Yes, but that was only AFTER groups were complaining to 24, did they quickly added that in. It was obvious why they added that in.

EvilSausage

[8]Jan 11, 2006
    • level: 8
    They could not do the show with muslims because the majority of Americans might have trouble relating to a muslim cleric talking to Muhammed because he is not considered a big religious symbol to most Americans.

I think if they did a show with muslims, Conservative Christians would probably complain that the show promoted Islam, and that they could never get a show like that on television.

Also, the show isn't made to mock Jesus, but rather mock humanity as others have said.

PikeBishop

[9]Jan 11, 2006
    EvilSausage wrote:
    They could not do the show with muslims because the majority of Americans might have trouble relating to a muslim cleric talking to Muhammed because he is not considered a big religious symbol to most Americans.

I think if they did a show with muslims, Conservative Christians would probably complain that the show promoted Islam, and that they could never get a show like that on television.

Also, the show isn't made to mock Jesus, but rather mock humanity as others have said.

IN the Netherlands right now Muslim whackos are murdering artists who had the nerve to depict the Prophet in artworks, which is forbidden by the Koran.

PikeBishop

[10]Jan 11, 2006
    [QUOTE="FanWriter"]
    PikeBishop wrote:
    FanWriter wrote:
    PikeBishop wrote:

Yes, but that was only AFTER groups were complaining to 24, did they quickly added that in. It was obvious why they added that in.

I think that scene was scripted all along. And Muslim groups were screaming before the show even began its run last January.

EvilSausage

[11]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 8
    [QUOTE="PikeBishop"]
    FanWriter wrote:
    [QUOTE="PikeBishop

I think that scene was scripted all along. And Muslim groups were screaming before the show even began its run last January.

Just like Conservative Christians were screaming before the Book of Daniel even began.

Shows like Family Guy have made fun of fundementalist Muslims before, and The Simpsons made fun of Jews before. Two and Half Men made fun of pagans and Satanists and Scientologists and New Agers have been made fun of numerous times. It's just that Christians are more politically active and that makes them an easier target in some ways. If you're in the public eye more, you're going to get spoofed more.
    Edited on 01/28/2006 12:12pm

Maddog30

[12]Jan 28, 2006
    • level: 6
    we didn't loose the show if you go to http://www.nbc.com/The_Book_of_Daniel/ you can watch this weeks episode