The Boondocks

Or Die Trying

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Oct 08, 2007 on Adult Swim

• All I can say is dat waz effin hilarious!!

Season 2 starts off with Grandad taking Huey and Riley and sneaking Jazmine to go see Soul Plane 2! Jazmine is scared because she went into the movie without paying and starts crying and so on. Riley is bootlegging the movie while Huey is ticked because he doesnt want to see Soul Plane 2. This episode is so funny and waz a good way to start off season 2. Mo'nique and Snoop Dogg was in this episodes as characters from Soul Plane 2. Ruckus was working at the movie theater and was kicking all the black peeps out(you know why!) Ruckus and Huey faced off against each other and Ruckus revealed that he also knew the 'anicent art' of "Nun Chok"(or watever).

You can watch this episode on [adult swim] but it does come on on the 8th so dont miss it!
  • Worth the Wait! Welcome Back, "The Boondocks"!

What can I say about the return of The Boondocks?
    Nunchuks, Bootlegging, $20 Popcorn (It's Only POPCORN!!!), and Season 2! Huey, Riley, Granddad, and even Jasmine go sneak into the movies to see Soul Plane 2: The BlackJacking! This episode is worth watching because Snoop Dogg, Monique, and 50 Cent (Voiced By Affrion Crockett).
    Uncle Ruckus as Secruity and him fighting Huey was funny as I don't know what! After watching this episode on adult swim's website, I can't wait until the next episode airs which is titled: "Tom, Sarah, and Usher".

Next Friday is when adult swim may add that episode online to their website.

WELCOME BACK, "THE BOONDOCKS"! Now I can watch another great show on TV.
  • First episode of the highly anticipated second season of The Boondocks.

All I got to say is that This episode was straight up hilarious! It wasn't clever like Passion of Ruckus(Season one, episode 15) or intellectual as the very first episode of the series but it contained MUCH humor. I have to say that the plot was extremely well written due to Uncle Ruckus' racist remarks (which is expectedly hilarious), the way the conflict was solved, and the never failing humorous plot. All in all, I was really entertained but the only problem was as to why I had to possibly wait so long for this to come out. I understand that McGruder has his reasons but this season has been pushed back so many times I was a bit overwhelmed and slightly pissed off. But this episode almost made forget all that and I'm sure the rest of the series will be as good or even better than this episode.
  • Eh...

Certainly amusing but not that great. Not worth waiting 1.5 years for, although the next few episodes could easily change my mind on that one. We'll see.

Animation looked great, as expected for the 2nd season of a show given much more money. The story, however, did not live up to the standards set by the first brilliant 1st season. Cute, but no real substance. Amusing, as the familiar characters were true to form, but somewhat tame for a season premiere. [AS] airing "The Garden Party" afterwards just reminded viewers how groundbreaking season 1 was. I still enjoyed the silly, simple story of "Or Die Tryin'," (the 50 Cent impression was priceless), but let's hope the remaining 19 eps can live up to -- and perhaps exceed -- the high standards set by the series' 1st season.
  • The Simpsons's pranksta rap was 0kay,but aaron my brother you diss the living crap outta of 50 cent and that's was great,man and you even convince snoop dogg to guest starts even mo'nique funny,funny,funny,but simpsons you still my favorite

Huey,Grandadd,Riley and Jasmine sneak into the movies and trying to avoid ruckus frevent he will call the police on them,funny,funny funny

Funny things from this esipode
    1. Robert was so so funny,man the way he was snapping about
    the concession worker refuse to put butter on his popcorn,man if that was me in the concession,i be whooping his ass and force him to put butter on my popcorn

2. Riley preach to grandad about stop snitchin when huey and jasmine got busted and got caught

3. Ruckus and Huey was straight up jackin hard and they was about to get serious at the end

4. you dissin 50 cent but using his catchpharse"or die tryin"

you funny man funny
  • Family Guy came back after 3 years, now it sucks so bad it's like a chore to watch. Drawn Together came back and went over the top just to go over the top. This new episode of Boondocks was the funniest one yet! Thank you, White Jesus and Black Jesus!!

Brilliant episode. They didn't try to go over the top or get jokes off of the character's idiosyncrasies like Family Guy does with Stewie nowadays. It was brilliant and hilarious. I was afraid that it would be redundant since there are only so many ways you can make fun of black stereotypes, but Aaron McGruder is apparently going to make the second season just as amazing as the first, or die trying!

As a white male living in Atlanta, I especially appreciate this show. The only problem is that I can't recite my favorite quotes from the shows because I'm white and would get shot. It's unfortunate, but who cares, this episode was awesome! I'm going to see the next one, or die trying!
  • The gang sneaks into/videotapes/brings food into the movies, much to Jasmine's dislike. Apparently Uncle Ruckus now works there and searches for them. Hilarity ensues...?

Not really. I enjoyed finally seeing the characters after a year, but it was short-lived. Compared to the episodes from the first season, this one wasn't as funny. At times the jokes felt forced or the characters overacted such as Grandad's tirade about the popcorn or Jasmine's whimpering during the movie. Also, some things didn't feel natural in the storyline. For example, Huey's fight with Ruckus didn't feel right. Usually McGruder's scenes are plausible albeit outrageous, but Huey's fight seemed out of character; it felt like it was just there so that there would be a fight scene in the episode. On another note, there -were- a few (very few) things that made me laugh or at least chuckle: the movie's scenes (sounded just like fiddy haha), them bringing full meals in the movie theater, etc. But ultimately, it was disappointing as a season premiere. I expected an episode of the same caliber of the first season. Hopefully, McGruder can deliver in the successive episodes.
  • I'ma put a end to alla dis...

This episode was a brilliant return to the Boondocks that I know and love...and missed. I don't understand why it was a disappointment to some but...whatever. I thought that it was hysterically funny, well-written and really well animated.

Granddad once again kills me with his cynical views on life and the establishment and the lengths that he will go to in order to take a stand against the establishment. This time, he sneaks Huey, Riley and Jaz into the movie theatre with a coat-load of food and comedy. What does Aaron have against 50 cent? I don't know the beef but oh my goodness it is brilliant. All I can say is, "Praise White Jesus!", the Boondocks is back!
  • i thought it sucked at first watched it again and changed my opinion

5.5
    This episode was probebly the worst of the series because it barely had any funny moments and the funniest parts were the soul plane spoof. I will say though 50 cent had me on the floor laughing and so did the movie theatre warning Riley was pretty funny too like when he was recording the movie. Other than that it was really not the best they could do but luckily its the only episode that didnt really make me laugh although i did laugh a little so ill give mr arron mcruder that or will I haha no seriously my least favorite.I just watched it again and it was actually pretty good
  • After long long long wait Boondocks returns and does not dissapoint!

When you really get invested in a television series that normal 4 or sometimes 8ish month break between seasons can suck...and 18 month break can really suck. Well the wait is over, and thankfully it doesn't seem like we'll be waiting longer for Boondock's return to form.

The Season 2 premiere or Die trying kicks off with a hilarious parody of a not so hilarious movie SOUL PLANE 2 "the black jacking"...basically imagine if Soul plane, passenger 57 and United 93 were all the same flick and you get the picture

it doesn't let up from there, The Freeman family plus Jazmine's trip to the movie threater features of awesome satire of poor customer service, capitialism as well as mocking every possiable stero-type of how black people behave in theaters

its also got the coolest fight scene since Huey's dream in GRANDDADS fight.

Welcome back Boondocks...people set your DVR
  • Jokes about buttering your own popcorn; not nearly on a level with last season's episodes.

Some good laughs, but the social satire just isn't up to the standard set last season. There were three episodes in season 1 that I would actually consider profound -- Riley Wuz Here, The Passion of Reverend Ruckus, and the Peabody Award-winning Return of the King. I realize not every episode can live up to those high standards, but this one lacked the series' typical social commentary.

That's not to say it was BAD -- there were several points where I laughed out loud ("Did you think you wuz the only one who had mastered the ancient deadly art of the nunchaku?") --, it's just that I have high expectations for this series and this ep didn't meet them, especially after such a long wait.

I'm hoping this just means there's going to be a warmup period and we'll see it really shine later.
  • good episode

• Long Awaited...Painfully Anticipated...And Sadly Anticlimatic?

Its been two years since fans of the Boondocks were presented with new fodder. Many of us have weathered the drama, the setbacks and many premiere dates that never came to past. But finally...FINALLY, a real, honest-to-God premiere date was announced for Monday, October 8th and many long suffering fans got ready to be entertained to the fullest extent by Huey, Riley and Granddad. The open credits rolled (revamped) and the show started. For twenty-two minutes, I stared intently at the screen, looking for that little something that has kept me coming back to the Freeman household. It wasn't until the very end, when Riley suggested Granddad turn hisself in to Social Servies that I really got to giggle. There were other good momments in the episode, but not many worth mentioning here. I did enjoy the special appearances and updated artwork. Affion Crockett was hilarious as 50 cent. I wasn't overly disappointed, I was somewhat under-whelmed. I love the Boondocks, and will always be a fan, and continue to watch every Monday. I hope and pray that the second season will live up to the glory of the first.
  • After a long wait Boondocks is back and for the most part it was worth the wait. In this episode Mcgruder goes after hip hop culture and the movie industry and it's various segments. First off with the hip hop industry we get a fantasy about Soul Plane

After a long wait Boondocks is back and for the most part it was worth the wait. In this episode Mcgruder goes after hip hop culture and the movie industry and it's various segments. First off with the hip hop industry we get a fantasy about Soul Plane 2 and the ignorance that would ensue from such a film. We have typical black comedians and rappers running around in circles being foolish but everyone loves it because they're famous and part of the hip hop landscape. Which in many ways has replaced the hippies as the most recent counter culture of our time. Since people care more about being subversive and different they don't ask questions or for quality. Just mass consume any garbage that the media puts out. Part of that attack was aimed at the movie industry itself. Like leeches sucking the world dry with ridiculous prices for tickets and food. Making the most money off this poison while at the same time feeding it to the American people. Also like Walmart the industry is questioned on what kind of benefits and pay they provide for they're over worked and underpaid workers. One thing I didn't mention in the forum but could say that the people themselves who choose to sneak into movies and bring they're own food. In a way they are part of the problem since they are physically at the theatre's instead of downloading or buying a "bootleg" like the episode suggested. Being part of a crowd that supports a bad entity is support that entity since no one can know what you feel in your heart your presence sends the wrong message. I think Mcgruder was saying at the end if the movies were ghost towns the public decry of they're tactics and business practices would go a long way to making them change how they treat us.
  • The ONE show I've been waiting for. Fabulously upgraded animation and a superb soundtrack. However, it lacked the story and message that I've come to expect from the show.

I have been waiting for the second season of "The Boondocks" to start for the LONGEST time, and now it's finally here. Admittedly I had been waiting with more than enough apprehension; since the whispers started, I feared that the show would start to move away from what made it such a success.

"...Or Die Trying", the premiere of "The Boondocks" second season, seems to have confirmed my fears. As promised, the move to Madhouse has generated breathtaking animation, and the soundtrack is incredible, but that seems to be it. The story was empty, though there were several funny scenes, and devoid of the profound messages that had become standard in season one. What made episodes like "The Return of the King" and "The Passion of Ruckus" so great were the messages received by the viewer.

Then again "The Garden Party" was a similar premiere, so maybe I'm freakin' out for no reason. Time will tell!