The Boondocks

Return of the King

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Jan 15, 2006 on Adult Swim

• A hilarious conveyance of Huey's ideal world, in which MLK is alive in our time and is disgusted by what he sees. A true classic.

What I'm not sure some people understand about this episode is that it was based in Huey's imagination. I know I don't need to point out the obvious, which is that MLK was actually killed 40 years ago rather than put into a coma only to awaken in recent years. But it is important to note that this is Huey's ideal reality, not necessarily that world as it would be if King actually came back to life.

That being said, Martin Luther King Jr. is one of my favorite characters ever to grace the series. His interactions with the other characters was priceless, and so were his takes on the modern world of iPods and boneless rib sandwiches. I wish he could come back again, but I guess that's what makes this a one-of-a-kind episode.

The best part in the whole shebang was the part with the Tucker Carlson-esque pundit who told MLK off for not immediately saying how much he loves America. In other shows, the irony of the "fair and balanced" talk might simply slide by. In The Boondocks, Huey nails him with a chair and socks him in the mouth.

This is why I watch the Boondocks. I hope to see many more chairs fly in the face of the Tucker Carlsons and Bill O'Reillys of the world, and lots more episodes just like this. Bravo, McGruder.