The Boondocks

The Red Ball

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM May 16, 2010 on Adult Swim

• My favorite episode

I love this episode, the Americans and Chinese went from Kickball to wrestling to Dragon Ball Z XDDD, and i loved the racial and political lines,
  • One of the best of the series.

I can't think of an episode that was dripping with more political, social, or economic themes. And the fact that you have pure physical comedy just kills it. Jap Baseball. Little girl bugging. The ringers for the game. And way more low key moments. Aaron McGruder is a master of weaving important messages in an entertaining way. What makes this episode so funny, is probably what should make it so disheartening.

The ever evolving Chinese power against the reigning super power of the world, the U.S. In the end the U.S. may have prevented the Chinese from winning, but at what cost? Epic.
  • EPIC

while not one of the outright funniest episodes of the series (although there are more and more one liners and visual gags I notice each time I watch it), this was hands down the most epic tribute to anime the show has ever done. Better even than stinkmeaner's fight in hell against ninja demons. The last 2-3 minutes of this episode had me sitting on the edge of my seat like I was watching "Vampire Hunter D" or a fresh episode of "Cowboy Bebop." To all anime fans, I urge you to watch this episode and your reward will be those last 3 glorious minutes. Filled to the brim with action and hilarity. Oh and the return of Ed Wuncler, Ed the 3rd, and Gin Rummy are just the icing on the cake. A must watch for any fan of the boondocks and/or anime in general, and probably the best jumping on point in the series since "the garden party" as it gives a small overview of almost all of the mainstays. 10/10

UPDATED: Ignore that line about the episode not being outright funny. It's one of the more blatantly funny episodes of the season.