The Boondocks

The Story of Catcher Freeman

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Jan 28, 2008 on Adult Swim

• My favorite episode!

This episode made me laugh so many times. It was just funny seeing all the different perspectives. My favorite perspective was Uncle Ruckus, which was just so funny because of how inaccurate it was. The action was pretty tight, too, and had some good music to go along with it. And while it was funny, if you look closely this episode is about the perspectives Granddad and Uncle Ruckus, who represent the stereotypes of black people: showing them in different lights. Then you see Huey's perspective is the one where the stereotypes disappear and reveals the characters are just people with human needs. This one was one of the best in the series if not the best.
  • great episode

This was so well written! I loved the way it was so obvious that grand dad was severely embellishing his story. He made ninja and batman references. Catcher Freeman was 14 feet tall. How can a 14 foot tall man be clandestine about anything!? It was also funny that Unkle Ruckus knew who Catch a Freeman was. I loved the fact that the true story contained vivid elements from the two fabricated accounts. History is littered with "heroes" who just sort of backed into their fame. It's far more often than not the legend that makes legends, not the facts.
  • It wasn't Catcher freeman, it was CATCHA freeman!

This episode is no doubt one of the best of season 2. It is really funny and is great! My friend Brandon didn't like it, oh well, he's an ARF. This episode was great, Riley and Grandad bickering was great. Huey finally settling the score is hilarious. And Uncle rukus saying what Catcher freeman really was, was hilarious. Aaron McGruder owned this episode. He did such a great job with writing. My favorite part of the episode is when Uncle Rukus shows Catcher Freeman jumping from tree to tree and Riley says "Woah you see the n!gg@ flip from treet to tree like some ol' Tarzan $h!t! Wait Wait bring that back. that's great. The music was great to, it was epic and it felt like a movie. i can't wait to get this episode on dvd and watch it in WIDESCREEN! Great job Boondocks animation, music, and editing team.
  • Granddad and Uncle Ruckus argue over the true origin of Catcher Freeman

This is the Boondocks episode I've been waiting for since the series started, where Aaron MacGruder finds that's perfect balance of comedy and biting satire that he hit dead-on in his comic. At first, the episode seems to follow the cliched sitcom "POV" formula. But if you watch closely, they're not arguing about Catcher Freeman as much as the progression of black people since slavery. Granddad, with a rosy view of black heritage, sees Catcher Freeman as the embodiment of everything great and "cool" - a fourteen-foot, suave, skilled, brilliant, ninja-revolutionary. Uncle Ruckus, suffering from racial self-hatred, sees Catcher Freeman as the embodiment of every negative black stereotype - a dumb, illiterate, violent, uncivilized lapdog. All the other characters play milder versions of the gamut of black character stereotypes from the present day: the educated "bougie"; the ambitious house n****r; the wannabe thug; the ignorant overseer. Finally, in Huey's retelling the stereotypes fall away and the characters are driven by common, human motivations (desire for freedom, desire for recognition, desire for money, the desire to belong).

Something most people probably didn't catch is that in both Uncle Ruckus' and Granddad's story, the leading woman is the passive object of Catcher's desire; she's hypersexualized and dependant - a sly nod to the fact that the role of black women in history has long been underrepresented.

If MacGruder can keep writing sly smart storylines like this, this show will be around awhile. :)
  • Huey and Riley listen to different perspectives on the story of their ancestor Catcher Freeeman.

OK. To be completley honest, this has to be the worst epidode!! It barley had a story, it hardly had any comedy. It was just corny! The writers were probably throwing out dumb ideas out of nowhere. Seriously, they could've cam out with something way, way better than just a corny episode like this corn corn crap. But still, "The Boondocks" is still at the top of my list. It remains #1 and if they keep up with what they do and continuing on with the good, creative, and the hilarity of the content, It's a fact It'll be on top. Now and forever. "The Boondocks" 100% percent terrific quality.
  • My FAVORITE!!! episode!

• The story of Catcher Freeman! Granddad and Uncle Ruckus tell the boys their own versions of the legendary Catcher Freeman.

Didn't exactly know what to think of this episode at first. Don't get me wrong, it was full of laughs, but it wasn't the typical boondocks episode.

I think after you've watched the entire episode and actually thought about it, it's quite a clever episode. Throughout the series we've heard plently of stories from Granddad and Uncle Ruckus, and havn't know exactly how much truth their talking. Now we do.

Although both have the tiniest bit of truth in their stories, both are also completely warped by the character's point of view. I also love the way Riley straight away agree's with Uncle Ruckus's point of view only because it contradicted Granddads, while Huey did his research first.

So all in all you could say it was the typical Boondocks episode.
  • Huey and Riley hear different perspectives on their ancestor Catcher Freeman.

Probably one of the most interesting episodes this season "Catcher Freeman" offers different views, hilarity, and some sad truths. In other words, more or less what you want exactly from a Boondocks episode. I loved how the perspectives ranged dramatically between Granddad and Ruckus, with everything from Catcher being a hero to a villian and it shows just how much a story can change. Then to add an even funnier outcome was the true story that Huey found on the internet. But it's not just the story itself that gets me interested in this episode, but the sheer moral that history itself can be misinterpreted through the years and generations.