The Boondocks

The Trial of R. Kelly

Aired Sunday 11:30 PM Nov 13, 2005 on Adult Swim

• Last week I found the series premiere of the Boondocks very entertaining. Unfortunately a lot of critics believed that the show was only about making laughs at the expense of the white community. After seeing the second episode of the Boondocks, I think t

Last week I found the series premiere of the Boondocks very entertaining. Unfortunately a lot of critics believed that the show was only about making laughs at the expense of the white community. After seeing the second episode of the Boondocks, I think they were proven wrong. The Boondocks continued to deliver its intelligent style humor which is centered around history and current cultures as a whole, not just a specific one. It is easy to watch this show and mistake it for some anti-white pro-black series, but if you really pay attention to it then you'll see that it has not said anything that has not or is not happening, and both positives and negatives in the black and white communities are exposed.
    This week's episode was the trial of R.Kelly. In the beginning the boys and their grandpa are watching news reporters talk about the trial and Riley expresses how he feels about the situation. I found this section of the show funny, and even enjoyed the spoof they made about BET Uncut. I didn't care to much for the scene with Grandpa and Ruckus playing checkers. It did not hurt the episode, but it felt like a filler. The trial itself was hilarious. I thought it was well written. In the end the famous singer, who was obviously guilty, was proven innocent and treated like a hero while this honest, hardworking, educated black prosecutor loss and was treated like a sell out and villain just because he married a white woman. Not even Hueys well spoken words could convince the mob of R.Kelly fans (including Riley) that Kelly was guilty and that the trial wasn't about racism.
    In conclussion, with the expception of the part of the show i mentioned above, I found this episode another great installment to the Boondocks.
TOON