The Border

CBC (ended 2010)

SrRui

The Border Fan Reviews (9)

• Season 4

This is a all-inclusive series from action, comedy, romance and suspense... season 4 should have been aired. The last episode of sn3 leaves a lot of tension and the worst suspense ever which heightens the first episode and all story of sn4 episode 1
  • season 4???

I agree with serenety2angel. just finished watching the final episode of season 3 and it was a total cock block for such a great show
  • what happened after season three?

We have this particular tv show from our Crackle station on our Roku and we are totally addicted. After my husband went through every single episode (some without me!), we finally got to the last episode. OMG, the suspense!! We absolutely LOVE this show. But I would have liked to see MORE. I don't understand why such a great show would've been cancelled.... well, yeah, I guess, but geez, this was a very good show! I just want to know if they made it out after the whole gunfight thing. Boo! This is one that I would watch over and over!
  • A non-US point of view of some hot topics in this time: the war on terrorism, the borders control, the relationship between the United States and his "allied" countries, and the immigration issues post 9/11.

I think this show is really good, especially because it gives a non-US point of view of some hot topics in this time: the war on terrorism, the borders control, the relationship between the United States and his "allied" countries, and the immigration issues post 9/11.

The characters are very good written, the acting is average or above, there are some funny moments, and the plot is usually well developed, even when it is a little predictable. I think the personal life of Mike Kessler (James McGowan) is showed in a deep, interesting way, and you can see a lot of his inner issues in the series. Bianca LaGarda, however, is a little cliché, and sometimes a little boring, but besides this, all the other characters work well.

And I don't think the show is "anti-american", as some have said. I think is another point of view of a lot of topics that not all people (and not all countries) see the same way… just it.
  • A different take on the post 9/11 'War on Terror' and its effects on global security and diplomatic relations; The Border follows the drama, action and diplomatic manoeuvrings of Canadian Immigration and Customs security (ICS)

A different take on the post 9/11 'War on Terror' and its effects on global security and diplomatic relations; The Border follows the drama, action and diplomatic manoeuvrings of Canadian Immigration and Customs security (ICS). The focal character, Mike Kessler (James McGowan), is the head of this department and his personal life proves to be almost as colourful as his day job. As the episodes progress, the central characters are explored in great detail and it is this depth and quality of story-telling, that provides an excellent dynamic in which to contrast the action and suspense; something which shows such as 24 have often lacked. But make no mistake, there is action a-plenty, with each instalment focusing on one of the myriad of situations the ICS team has to deal with as they police the vast expanse that is the US/Canadian border. Terrorism, drugs and people trafficking are all dealt with, along side whatever personal crisis's the team may be experiencing.

What is interesting about this take on the 'War on Terror' and the huge crack down on border control, is that it highlights some of the effects on diplomatic relations between allies, as well as any developing resentment of US measures among less powerful nations. When so many shows such as The Unit, act as what is arguably often conservative propaganda, The Border isn't afraid to paint the many shades of grey that exist in global politics, and in doing so, delivers an intelligently written piece of television that is as insightful as it is exciting.

I will admit that I was dubious of how entertaining the show was going to be before I sat down to watch it. Customs and Immigration conjures up images of fluorescent jackets and memories of butch women with fat fingers who enjoy performing cavity searches (I still feel her breath on the back of my neck when I close my eyes… but that's a story for another time). However, that preconception was merely down to my ignorance over what the job entails, especially in the higher echelons. I enjoyed the fact that current global developments are worked into the script and including the influences of the US, Canada and also Britain, creates this political and jurisdictive tug of war that adds real depth to the shoot-outs and drug busts.

A definite recommendation from me and just remember, if you disagree with me, then it's probably because you're wrong.
  • One of the best shows on TV - great Canandian TV!

I love this fast paced show. It has great drama, some light moments and a lot of suspense. The cast pull off their characters to a T. From week to week there are suprises that one does not see coming. I think its well put together, and they quite often touch on "touchy" subjects. Kessler, played by James McGowen is my favourite character.

I'm not very good at doing this and am really struggling to type 100 word minumum. So this is just to fill in the last few words, just 9 left now, almost there. Just made it but it was a struggle!
  • Funny, well written, great cast of actors... excellent story telling

I probably wouldnt have watched this if it wasnt for the writers strike and apart from the inconvenience of missing my favourite shows I have to thank the writers strike... because 'The Border' is a brilliant piece of TV.

It has pace, wit, drama and totty for both genders (whatever your pursuasion). The topics have been extremely varied so far. A little slow to start with and a few usual terrorist stories but episode 12 was a brilliant sotry well told.

Sell it to the UK, they will love it, tonnes of Canadians over here. They will probably put it on ITV2 or ITV3 but there are some good US stuff on those channels and they are picking up audiences.
  • Absolutely the best ever - very controversial but terrific. I am addicted and never ever miss an episode.

THE BEST!! I am addicted - best ever T.V. show - never miss an episode - Normally do not watch sitcoms or weekly shows but never ever miss the Border. A bit controversial and presume bothers some viewers but absolutely well done. Great that Sicis(?), homeland security and the border are brought out in the open to viewers what is probably going on in Canada - about time. Kessler and all the other actors are terrific in their roles - always leaving one to wonder what is going to happen next week. - Wish this weekly was a movie.
  • 24 at the Canadian/American border. However, no Kiefer, so that means, no yelling constantly (e.g. "GIVE ME THE PASSWORD" as he's pointing his gun and wincing his eyes, which he does a lot in the show!!) Worth checking out!!

It's a show set in current day Toronto, Canada...Focuses on the challenges of the ICS, Immigration and Customs Security. All I have to say is...extremely impressed...I talked about it with couple buddies from work.They were also impressed...The second episode is even better! Is this the first Canadian made TV show I've ever liked? I think so...Corner Gas sucks, This show has just raised the bar for other Canadian produced content. If it wasn't so heavily advertised, and set in Toronto, you'd think it was an American show!!! Way to go CBC!!! You think I'm lying? Give it a look!