The Borgias

The Poisoned Chalice

Aired Sunday 10:00 PM Apr 03, 2011 on Showtime

• Rodrigo Borgia wants to succeed Pope Innocent and he will do anything necessary to make sure that he takes the papal crown.

One of the best things about this first episode was that the first half moved along at a brisk pace as we watched the senior Borgia, along with his diabolical son, scheme to make sure he is elected as the new Pope. The fact that Borgia has several illegitimate children seems to be no barrier and he is determined to succeed. The scenes showing the conclave of cardinals was excellently done and very accurate, which was good to see, as the thing that usually disappears in lavish historical costume dramas is accuracy. I'm not saying the entire episode was accurate because it wasn't, but that scene most certainly hit the nail right on the head.

I have given up hope of anyone actually getting around to an accurate historical portrayal of Lucrezia Borgia so I am just going to keep watching as this superbly filmed tale unfolds and see what they do with it. I hope the high standard continues.