The Bozo Show

WGN Chicago (ended 1994)

The Bozo Show Fan Reviews (4)

6.8
  • Happy birthday Bozo the Capitol Clown! Famous Bozo "The Capitol Clown" is turning 64!' Originally created by Alan W. Livingston for Capitol Records "Bozo at the Circus" released in Oct 1946, a new book celebrates his history for his worldwide fans.

Happy Birthday Bozo The Capitol Clown! Famous Bozo "The Capitol Clown" is turning 64!' Originally created by Alan W. Livingston for Capitol Records with kiddie photo album "Bozo at the Circus" released in October 1946, a new book entitled The Bozo Chronicles celebrates his origin and history for his worldwide fans. See: http://www.thebozochronicles.com
    A Google search will give more info about The Bozo Chronicles and the official website.

How do you pay tribute to Bozo 'The Capitol Clown,' a character who has entertained millions if not billions of fans around the world? The answer: you start at the beginning, because the beginning is the best place to start. The Bozo Chronicles is a detailed timeline documenting the origin and development of the original Bozo the Clown into a world famous icon. According to the books' forward by Bozo creator Alan Livingston, "'Official Bozologist' and author Tom Holbrook ... has collected together for the first time, the true story of Bozo's beginnings," within its six-hundred-plus photo-packed pages. This book is your ticket for a circus celebration to toast Bozo's birth. His original records released by Capitol (1946-1956) starred the multi-talented Disney voice actor (from Jacksonville, Oregon) Pinto Colvig and were filled with authentic-style circus music composed and conducted by the great Billy May. Children loved these "Record Readers" (record and book combinations) so much they sold into the millions topping the charts. Bozo's early recordings were so popular that he soon became the first clown to make the jump into the "little theatre" (TV) screen; in January of 1949 on KTTV TV in Los Angeles "Bozo's Circus" was on the air. The original character gained so much fame that Capitol had soon licensed a tent full of "Capitol Clown" toys and collectibles, framed more shows including a Bozo TV pilot, booked guest spots for their new star clown on radio, arranged live performances with The Ice Capades skating touring extravaganza, and circus gigs, including the Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey combined railroad shows. A talented clarinet player, Pinto Colvig as Bozo "The Capitol Clown" jammed with bandleader/musician/comic/radio personality Jerry Colonna, horsed around with Capitol recording artist singing cowboy Tex Ritter, and starred in a major motion picture about the newly-famed clown that toured around world. Every page within The Bozo Chronicles pays tribute, presents interesting historical facts and so much valuable information, it is easy to see that the decade of work to create this book could only be accomplished with much love for the character. To research the project author Tom Holbrook went directly to the sources. You will be there from "day one" to learn the origin, creation and history of everyone's favorite clown. Through articles, interviews and Bios you will meet Bozo "The Capitol Clown's" creator and many contributors, including character actors, voice artists, illustrators, musicians, and others involved with Bozo's original years at Capitol Records. With over one thousand four hundred vintage images, readers will tour the original Bozo "The Capitol Clown's" history as it happened. Bozo "The Capitol Clown" made thousands of appearances around the globe, and in many publications is seen partying with the Hollywood stars and their children. It has been said that Capitol's Bozo the Clown helped build the legendary Capitol Records Tower building. For the icing on the cake fans are treated to a complete record discography and forty-five pages of full color showcasing a decade of vintage collectibles. The Bozo Chronicles is part history book, part collector's guide and a treasure for fans, collectors and historians alike. Yes, our pal Bozo is sixty-four years old this month, and to help us all feel young again The Bozo Chronicles pays tribute to the fact that he is a part of our youth that will never grow old. Bozo is a star among the stars, forever endeared in our hearts as our favorite clown. Happy birthday Bozo! [Writer Tom Holbrook, the author and Bozo archivist, has spent a lifetime collecting and researching the origins behind this world famous icon. Gathering facts has led him directly to near-endless sources to learn Bozo "The Capitol Clown's" true history.]
  • The Old Bozo with Bob Bell? YES!!! But The New Bozo with Joey D\'Auria? I\'m glad they took that show off the air when President Bill Clinton ended is two terms was up. at the exact time and moment!

I Love Mr. Bob Bell because he showed us how to be respectfull towards each other with proper mannors.
    But as for Joey D\'Auria, he is just like another or the for real President Bill Clinton who lives in his old ovel tent office at the Whitehouse.
    I can\'t stand the new Bozo Joey D\'Auria, he is like a Ronald McDonald showing off his rudeness. I\'m Glad that they took that new Bozo off the air!!!...
  • They don't make shows like this anymore...

The Bozo Show was a huge part of my childhood. Even though I never lived in Chicago, I loved watching this show every morning on WGN. From the humorous sketches to the educational moments and the classic "Grand Prize Game", this show had it all. No other children's variety show lasted as long as this one, and none came close to its popularity. I can still remember singing along to "Suzy Snowflake" and watching the fun as kids of all ages joined in the Grand March at the end of the show. I will never forget this show, and have yet to see anything that can match what this show had. It was something kids of all ages could enjoy, and their parents loved it because most times the parents remembered watching the show when they were kids. It's a shame this show had to end, but it was great while it lasted.
  • Good actors

I began to watch this show when it was on ABC channel 9. A kid my own age was a regular, his name was Herb Becker and went under the name KARDEEN. He started as a weekly magician doing tricks on Bozo, then became a regular on the show playing guitar, doing magic tricks and even hosted a few shows.

Cause he was my age, it made me want to watch the show even more.