The Brady Bunch

Brace Yourself

Aired Unknown Feb 13, 1970 on ABC

• The youthful trauma of getting your first pair of braces...well done by Maureen McCormick!

After recently watching this episode--which has been airing in reruns for over 40 years--it is absolutely amazing to me how the vibrance of the series has lost not one ounce of its charm. Everyone remembers The Brady Bunch from way back in the day, and this Season 1 episode is a genuine charmer that all fans should be able to enjoy.

I found young Maureen McCormick to be very sweet and memorable in this episode, which centered around "Marcia Marcia Marcia's" distraught reaction to her very first pair of braces. Slightly overdone, perhaps, but all the more endearing because most women can relate to that feeling of having braces: that feeling that you're uglier, less appealing, and that everyone is looking at you with a silent snicker. To say nothing of the fact that you're in a lot of pain when they are put on your teeth for the first time, and eating something as simple as a bowl of Spaghetti-O's is no easy feat! I've been there, and like Marcia, I can attest to the fact that when you're a kid with braces, statements like "It's not that bad" and "When they come off, your teeth are gonna be beautiful" are not very helpful or comforting--although I must admit that those are the exact things I said to a 12-year-old neighbor last week when she got braces! See what I mean about being able to identify with the episode material? Whether you're 10, 20, 30, or 80, you get it, and that's the magic of it. That's why this show is still airing in reruns several decades later. This is a classic Brady Bunch episode: funny, touching, and as always, accurately in line with any experiences that today's families can encounter in daily life, even if it is slightly cheesy. There's no doubt, however, that if you want to take a 30-minute retreat from everyday reality, you can turn on an episode like this and have a guaranteed smile on your face by the time it's over. It's just that kind of timeless TV that obviously still has something about it that audiences love and want, even after all these years.