The Brady Bunch

Jan, the Only Child

Aired Unknown Nov 10, 1972 on ABC

• Another Typical Jan Episode

I was surprised that I actually enjoyed this episode. I'll put it this way: Jan is by no means my favorite Brady. Her episodes get on my nerves for her over emotional problems, but this one is pretty good. She makes a point by saying she has no privacy with five other brothers and sisters. Who would? One of my favorite parts in the episode is where Cindy tells Jan the truth about why everyone is being a little too nice to her. Jan becomes livid and orders all the kids into the boys' room. I prefer the episodes when the kids get mad at each other, instead of an adult, like the parents, Alice, or a teacher. The kids' reaction to her anger is pretty funny, though a little over the top with their screaming at her, telling her that they'll pretend to be invisible. That isn't going to backfire on Jan, is it? Well, of course it does. At the end Jan ruins their potato sack races and makes the other Brady kids let her join and not be invisible any more. Everyone learns their lesson and is so happy that they all decide to get in on the potato sack races. It never showed, but I think Peter won. He left everyone else far behind as soon they started. And of course, the episode ends as they come home from the rodeo and Carol makes another bad joke.