A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

There have been a few new shows this summer, which has been a good thing. The barren wasteland of previous years summer TV has hopefully become a thing of the past.

I am going to try and split the discussion into different parts to see what did and didn't work in everyone's opinion

I haven't watched them all (the premise of Siberia put me off and I don't watch much reality TV), and some i stopped watching (Under the Dome....go into the corner and put the bag of shame over your head....and stay there!)

Before the summer TV started there was actually a nice buzz about a lot of shows, their formats and whether the audience would be there for a fairly full summer tv schedule, with some series ending, some going into their 2nd year, a slew of new shows, the mini series/event/is it a dome or a sphere debate, so I wonder if this summers experiment has worked and does this signal the start of year round quality viewing.

THE HYPED

Back in May tv.com had an article "Our 10 most anticipated New shows for summer 2013", which is a pretty self explanatory article. There was a shiny poll and everything!.

The shows in the article were -
10. Graceland
9.Camp
8.Whose Line Is It Anyway?
7.Low Winter Sun
6.Animation Domination High-Def
5.In The Flesh
4.Ray Donovan
3.Orange Is The New Black
2.Under The Dome
1.The Bridge

I actually watched them all (In The Flesh when it aired in the UK) and here is what I think

Graceland - after a shaky start it grew on me and with Burn Notice finishing soon, USA have a solid replacement with this

Camp - after the tv.com article it basically disappeared from the site - it is on the schedule still - which is a pity. Its not a revolutionary show, but it is a warm, comedy drama which i could see as a cross generational sleeper. Its not laugh out loud or overly dramatic, but a solid show

Whose Line Is It Anyway? - The celebrities were somewhat hit and miss, but there have been some very funny parts

Low Winter Sun - personally i like it, but it has had split reviews and poor ratings. Ryan Sandoval recently gave it the 4 episode test - http://www.tv.com/shows/low-winter-sun/community/post/low-winter-sun-catacombs-review-the-four-episode-test-137790767384/Animation Domination High-Def - i only watched Axe Cop and it is weirdly good

In The Flesh - more of a social drama than a zombie fest, so some people might have been disappointed

Ray Donovan - I really like it but certain reviewers took a big dump on it - http://www.tv.com/shows/ray-donovan/community/post/ray-donovan-series-premiere-review-its-a-shame-about-ray-137220015353/ - but the term "The bag or the bat?" conjurs one the most memorable scenes of the summer for me. The stuff with Ray is great but the stuff that includes his family is sometimes grating. Got an early renew.

Orange Is The New Black - loved it and i watched the entire series over a few days. Thank you Netflix

Under The Dome - a big disappointment for me, way too twee. But a big ratings success, so what do i know.
(FYI I know enough to put UtD in the corner with the shame bag on its head)
Any "its so bad its good" arguments should be directed to someone else, as i find such arguments pointless......bad is bad.

The Bridge - I like but dont love. I was hoping for something more but it is still an enjoyable show

So now that summer is gone and these series are almost over, how do you feel.
poll

and now

poll

After voting check out the original hype article and compare
http://www.tv.com/news/our-10-most-anticipated-new-shows-for-summer-2013-136925751584/

THE IGNORED

The unhyped new summer shows. As i dont want to turn this into a thesis paper i'll just put up 2 polls with the major players (I may forget some, so feel feel to mention any in the comments) I am not including reality shows as i havent watched any of the summer ones.
I am also not including The White Queen or Broadchurch as they aired in the UK before the the US - on a personal note, Broadchurch is excellent. Also The White Queen is technically a mini series (there wont be a 2nd season)
The Goodwin Games technically hasnt been cancelled so i have included it
poll

and now
poll

THE RETURNEES

There were a number of shows returning (i'll do the series ending next), some of which had a few surprises - Hell On Wheels coming back on a Saturday, the improvements on Teen Wolf, The Killing and The Newsroom - and some which stayed with their tried and trusted formulas - Franklin and Bash, Longmire, Necessary Roughness - and some which split opinions - yes True Blood, I'm talking about you.....now put some clothes on Alexander Skarsgard before he gets frostbite in an unfortunate place.

poll

and now

poll

THE FINAL SEASONS

There are also a few shows ending this summer and finales can be difficult. I have a feeling which show will win, but it would be unfair not to include all the series that are finishing.
poll

and now

poll

Chances are I didnt cover everything, but overall its been a good summer of TV.
Comments (64)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I am not going to comment on how great Breaking BAD is and how bad Dexter finale is as all these are mostly being covered.

I am surprised at how much I liked devious maids and the fosters. Maybe because devious is so much liked Desperate housewives and I still miss DH. I liked The fosters with the family drama in a different settings and the cast is very talented.

Mistress is quite fun to watch too. I think all 3 series had been renewed which means the ratings are considered ok.

For reality show, I think The Rock Hero is a very good and different kind of reality show. I hope it will come back for season 2. I hope word of mouth will give it better ratings for season 2. Who dunnit is also done quite well. That might just come back as it is on ABC.
Flag
I added Siberia to my Hulu list, it had some compelling ideas, but lately the last few episodes the show has been treading water. Not much has really happened and the characters aren't rounded enough for us to care if something does.

The only new show that I had enjoyed(besides Wipeout) is the horribly written "Whodunnit?" on ABC. It was fun, campy, and some people actually believed the contestants were dying.
Flag
LOL @ the photo being of Marco (goofy)
Flag

Burn Notice ...looks pretty laughable.
Breaking Bad ..f*ck meth and cancer
Dexter...f*ck murder
Magic City ...I pretty thoroughly enjoyed the first season. the second season looked way cheaper production value wise and I couldn't get behind a single storyline so quit part way through. not sure if that's just the difference drinking while watching something can make or not.
The Glades..I will miss the show for what it was, lighthearted didn't take itself to seriously summer fair with nice scenery.
Being Human (UK version)...never tried ...didn't care for the dark tones of the US version when I tried it thoguh so if they're onw in the same in that regard I wouldn't have liked it. even if it had a chik as hot as the one in the US version because even she wasn't enough to get me to stick around.

good article, man.

More+
Flag
Thanks
Flag
True Blood ...after some seriously crappy seasons the first few episodes back were a pleasant surprise, and then it became it's same old crappy self again IMO and even killed a bunch of people, WTF!?
The Killing ...never tried it.
Suits...courtroom dramas LOL
Pretty Little Liars ..quit sometime durign a previous season ...so how many different 'a's have they revealed now?
Franklin and Bash...see: suits
Necessary Roughness...quite wishy-washy and probably downright disappointing IMO. during previous seasons it had ranked among my favorite shows. mostly due to TK, nico and the patient of the week. this season just had a bunch of unlikable people and situations and ranked and that's all the worse considering it appears as though it's a show that might be struggling to survive.
Longmire..no thank you.
Teen Wolf ...see above.
Continuum ...after the first season I decided it wasn't what I hoped it would be and I quit. looks like the writers are now trying to make it what I'd hoped it -a pro-liber8 show- but only after making liber8 a bunch of cold-blooded killers, WTF!?
Falling Skies...tried the pilot and thought it was laughable.
Major Crimes ...no interest but glad to see that dude who's played a mercenary / gang member in a number of things dating back has steady work.
Royal Pains ...one of it's best season IMO. I generally dread the show because I hate all the focus on illness and this season managed to balance ailments & drama with lightheartedness quite well IMO.
Wilfred ..I've been enjoying it.
The Newsroom...great season of a great show, haters can suck it.
Copper ...never finished the first season and have been considering catching up.
Covert Affairs...wishy-washy to the greatest degree. by far my least favorite season of the show and some of the storylines and drama are really stupid and annoying.
Hell On Wheels...tried the pilot and found it obnoxious.

More+
Flag
Falling Skies got so bad this season that i quit it and the community
Flag
It was the worst IMO! And last season wasn't that good to begin with, Falling Skies should've improved instead of sinking any further.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Siberia...no interest in trying it

The Fosters ...no interest in trying it.
Crossing Lines...not sure I've seen it available or even heard of it?
King and Maxwell ...seriously disappointed. as it stands perception is the only TNT show I can say I think is good. unfortunately king & maxwell like rizzoli & isles and leverage is mediocre at best. though perception's first season was not nearly as good as it second if the first could have even been considered good at all so maybe it'll get better?
Mistresses ...no thank you
Devious Maids looks sexy but entirely uninteresting and like a soap so no thanks.
Twisted...sounds familiar but haven't tried it and most likely wont.
Hollywood Game Night ...I pretty thoroughly enjoy it. only seen the first 4 episodes so far and the first one was the best IMO but it's exactly what I hoped it would be. legitimately a-list celebs playing party games much like guests on jimmy fallon regularly do.
The Goodwin Games...I went into this knowing it had a short order and would most likely not ever have more episodes than that and that sucks because I thought it was laugh out loud funny with relative frequency. quite likable casting ...I mean who'da thought the bitch from ugly betty could play so nice? not bad for a standalone series I guess ...it did have an ending pretty much after all (thankfully).

More+
Flag
Crossing Lines = imagine Criminal Minds journeying through Europe (that was the impression I got from the pilot)
Flag
Graceland ..not as good as I had hoped after 99% of the pilot, I knew it wasn't going to go my way with *the big reveal* at the end of the pilot. I care more about the characters than the convoluted storyline.
Camp...I enjoyed it. like you I just felt it was pretty decent.
Whose Line Is It Anyway? haven't tried the new season / series yet. not entirely certain I will.
Low Winter Sun ..haven't tried it yet as I'm far more critical of shows than I've ever been in the past so my expectations are generally pretty low.
Animation Domination High-Def ...I'm not adding any new animated shows to my viewing schedule ...ever, most likely.
In The Flesh ...It's going to be an import from the UK? missed it if it's been available otherwise.
Ray Donovan...I actually tend to find ray's character to be the least enjoyable and for the rest of his family to be the ones I look forward to most.
Orange Is The New Black...incredibly disappointed. I stuck with weeds through ever season and still can't venture a guess as to what the hell this show is. quit half way into episode 2.
Under The Dome...knew unlike the optimists or fools around here that this show would be exactly what others have come to find it is. the proof is in a comment I made here at some point in time. under the doem isn't the first of it's kind and unfortunately wont be the last,
The Bridge...better than the americans which fell flat IMO. has some of the same problems with storyline that the americans does but has more redeeming characters and scenery.

More+
Flag
Staff
This is one of the best user-posts I've read.
Flag
Agree.
Flag
Thanks.
Did i miss anything?
Flag
Not as far as I can tell. This is absolutely brilliant!
Flag
LOL @ the reviewer not liking Ray Donovan! Where's that list of his show prognosis after watching 1-2 episodes (remember BANSHEEEEEEE! lol)
Flag
Ooh, I like where this is going. Since we didn't review Ray Donovan every week, I'd *love* to read your take on the first season... should I catch up?

I do admit that I've marathoned shows purely because the tv.com audience has loved them - wow, was Orphan Black amazing. Sell me!
Flag
What Grumpyclown said.....that's the sale.

The overall plot is Ray vs his Father. The subplots of him being a fixer are unique, intelligent, action packed and not afraid to go dark, and well acted & well written. Like GC said, the main (only) downside to the series is Ray's wife, and two kids (the son is also annoying but the daughter and wife are more annoying). There is a purpose for them in the series but the best scenes/episodes are the ones with minimal wife/kids screen time.

When I say dark I don't mean him killing people but finding unique punishments and unconventional methods of getting out of bad situations (usually helping other people out of a bad situation). He's not "good" and he's not "bad"...the grey aspects of the character are so compelling.

The last episode was one of the best. I think the show gets better each episode but it really depends on the amount of family time shown. I'm not talking about is brothers and father who are interesting. The father has grown on me (his character has developed and is quite interesting). Rays' brothers are interesting but one makes me want to punch him but I think he had been punched in the head one to many times and I'm not talking about the one with parkinsonian syndrome (I think he got it from boxing so it's not idiopathic Parkinson's Disease). I talking about the brother who had been molested as a kid.....I like him at time and at other times I want to kick him.

I rate the series as a "B" but if the wife & kids had less screen time then I would rank it a B+ or A-. However it is a show that gets better with time (the further into it the better it gets). It's not a show for everyone but I like it more and more with each episode.

The LSD scene just gets better and better! The second clip shows the entire stalker scene so if you plan to watch the show then skip that one since it has spoilers--shows almost the entire stalker plot. But it's a great clip;-) lol
The "old people" traveling was also funny and then got dark....

I don't know if any of this sold you on it but I think if you have a few free hours then try it out and realize that it gets better (imo).

I'm so glad you watched Orphan Black and like it. If you like well choreographed fight scenes then Banshee is worth watching just for the fight scenes (4 spectacular ones)...but I liked almost everything about the show (it also kept getting better--the ending was over the top but in a good way imo).
More +
Flag
The comparison to the Sopranos are only true in specific areas. Yes it is basically a crime drama about a man with some personal issues and his immediate family are annoying (the wives and daughters are particularly similar in both shows), but comparing the two shows was an unfair thing to do from the start - i cant think of too many shows on the same level as The Sopranos.
One of the main differences is that Ray is not making these situations happen, he is turning bad situations into good ones...mostly...and is doing so with his brain...mostly
An example would be this =

The way he managed to turn this situation into a positive was actually quite smart.
He is more than willing to intimidate, blackmail or resort to violence to resolve a situation. He is a a fixer for Hollywood phonies.
There is also a backstory, a few in fact, which gets woven into the storylines to good effect which involves his father. Initially Jon Voight seemed a bit out of place to me, but as the series progressed he really grew into his role as a protagonist.
Ray's wife and children can come across as grating at times, but unlike the Soprano's they have actually added some meaningful situations for Ray to deal with so far.
The acting and direction are all top notch, and so far the pacing has been good. There is also some very subtle dark humor at times.
Like dealing with a stalker=

or dosing someone with LSD =

(BTW its nice to see the monkey from Animal Hospital getting work)
The LSD scenes are a lot longer, so I havent spoiled that for you.

I would give Ray Donovan 7.5/10
And with Dexter finishing, this will be the heir apparent for its timeslot next summer
More +
Flag
We need a generic community for excellent discussions like this!
TV.COM should pay you---you post in communities info that is LATER used by tv.com in their news articles. This discussion/article is better then many written by the "professional reviewers".
If this comment keeps this article/discussion from going to the main page then let me know and I will remove it. I don't know if it will get enough traffic being hidden in The Bridge community. Hmm, I wonder about the traffic/popularity of the various communities--how many page hits or the popularity of the various communities. Tv.com should be monitoring that data.
Flag
I put it in The Bridge community for a couple of reasons. I have seen a number of its members in other communities, and so i thought they would be a good mix.
I wanted to put it in a middle sized community to stop the polls from being hijacked like this -
http://www.tv.com/shows/teen-wolf-2011/community/post/stop-spamming-my-poll-1376644558/

i didnt know whether the poll options had been updated so a medium sized community suited me best
Flag
I've got to agree, its one thing when I see 10 or 12 more votes than the community total in a featured article, but when its more than double the votes for a character that wasn't winning, in a poll that hasn't even been shared, it rings suspicious.

Flag
makes sense!

Where are those "poll settings" mentioned in that article. ...someone needs to stop playing and get back to work...lol;-) j/k
Flag
Vicky, you crack us up. A couple thoughts:

- This is exactly the type of creative post we're looking for. And we're planning on creating a more general community for TV discussion of this sort. We love the feedback and we're listening.
- We promoted this to the homepage! I added a featured image so that it would look awesome. Excited to get more eyeballs on it.
- We've got our eyes on the Community data 24/7 and love your contributions. Thanks guys!
Flag
This was my choice to get more eyeballs

Everybody loves books and snow

Flag
I was going to remove that comment~~now I feel like a dummy (i will not mention a certain reviewer's comment about female characters and females in general, I will not mention.....)
Flag
what comment?
Flag
Staff
Dear Vicky, you are not a dummy. You are spot on. And what's more, I just noticed you have Jenny's phone number in your username. Clever. ;^)
Flag
xoxo
;-)
Flag
The Bad/WTF did you do vote goes to two shows:
Dexter
True Blood

Good final seasons:
BREAKING BAD (not just "good" but "excellent")
Burn Notice--probably a good final season but I'm behind on it
Magic City--cancelled to soon
The Glades--I took a break after 2 seasons so I don't know about the final season but I know the ending....I probably won't catch up on this show

Worst Final Season: Dexter!! There is some much they could of done right this season but they didn't manage to pull it off. It's still worth watching imo but it's not as great as it use to be

Flag
regarding: ALL HAIL THE RETURNING HERO...
True Blood--ok but it's time for them to end the series which they are planning to do. I like the show but it has been going downhill which you look at it from an overall point of view. Some episodes have some great scenes this season but overall the most recent season was hit or miss.
The Killing--haven't caught up to the current season but now plan to after hearing (from trusted sources, lol) how good it became...
Suits--great show
Pretty Little Liars--put it on hold after a couple season because I got bored with the whole story line just being about finding A...it got old fast but I liked the 1st season
Franklin and Bash--haven't seen it; is it any good?
Necessary Roughness--haven't seen it; is it any good?
Longmire--haven't seen it; is it any good?
Teen Wolf--great show but Scott is annoying
Continuum--haven't seen it; is it any good?
Falling Skies--haven't seen it and heard bad things from trusted "sources"; lol
Major Crimes--haven't started this season yet but look forward to watching it
Royal Pains--haven't seen it; is it any good?
Wilfred---OMG, I still haven't watch this and I keep planning to watch it
The Newsroom--haven't seen it; is it any good?
Copper--great but I'm behind on it
Covert Affairs--I'm a few seasons behind on it but plan to catch up on it one day
Hell On Wheels--love it!!

More+
Flag
Franklin and Bash = a less serious, more slapstick Suits

Necessary Roughness = a bit fluffy but OK

Longmire = very slow, but good if you like a mix of western and detective story

Continuum - havent seen it

Royal Pains = havent seen enough to judge

Wilfred - all about a boy and his dog

The Newsroom - some find it a bit preachy, but the 2nd season is an improvement
Flag
Thanks!

"The Newsroom - some find it a bit preachy,"--how is it preachy or what are they preaching. Sermons are BORING!
Flag
The idea behind the show is that Will McAvoy, a well known TV news anchor has a kind of crisis of conscience with regard to the news and how it is currently delivered across all networks. Here is the first scene =
After this he decides to change the mentality of his nightly show. He wants to actually report the news and not be a part of it, not accepting the rhetoric of any particular political group, instead using his own judgement with regard to the news.

The stories covered were real news stories which had happened within a certain time frame.

The first season would probably have to accept the criticism of doing too much Monday quarter backing with regard to the stories that it covered. This would be where the criticism of being preachy would come in.

The 2nd season still covers actual stories, but there is more emphasis on the shows characters and events in their lives/ relationships. Either that or they have found a balance for the preachiness and i dont notice it as much.

They did manage to shine a light on the occupy wall street movements flaws in a recent episode =
Some would that this was harsh, but i think it actually raised some good points.

Its not as good as The West Wing, but its a half decent substitute if you can stick witth it
More +
Flag
despite my dislike of politics and inability to watch the news without getting pissed off, I really liked both clips...hmmm.
Flag
The only "unhyped show" I watched is Siberia and I'm loving it. It keeps getting better and better but it's not a perfect show and it's not for everyone.

I plan to watch King & Maxwell one day (maybe)

are any of the other unhyped shows worth watching?

I'll watch white queen all at once sometime in the future

Flag
Hollywood Game Night reminded me of Whose Line Is It Anyway (but not as good) - worth a look if you have nothing else
Flag
I still have all of Wilfred and a zillion other shows to watch....I'll add it to my list of show to watch one day
Flag
Watch Wilfred before
Flag
Regarding:
Graceland--like it but I am several episodes behind on it
Camp--never saw it (didn't interest me)
Whose Line Is It Anyway?--like it but liked the older versions better
Low Winter Sun--love it
Animation Domination High-Def--never heard of it
In The Flesh--great show and some great guy recommend it to me before it aired in the USA so I already saw it via streaming
Ray Donovan--love it
Orange Is The New Black--love it
Under The Dome--hated it; I only watched 2 episodes and quit (I watched at least 4 episodes of Cult before quitting that crappy show)
The Bridge--love it

I trust your recommendations/reviews more then Tim and a couple others...

Flag
why can I only vote for one show for which lived up to the hype and which didn't live up to the hype?
I thought LWS, Ray Donovan, The Bridge and others all lived up to the hype.
Under wtf/bad I would put Dexter (if you have True Blood then Dexter should be there also).
I don't think you can set the number of votes per poll but I'm not a poll expert so I don't know if that can be changed.
Flag
I didnt set anything about the number of votes, or see an option. You used to be able to cast multiple votes, but some people abused that option.
It probably would have been fairer to grade them out of 10, and get an average score - but i guess that would be either a hassle or time consuming
Flag
I voted a whole bunch for POI, Reese, and Finch on the end of the year poll where you could set up macros or bots to vote. That whole "multiple votes" thing that people don't like is how many people (like me...lol) got hooked on this site. If it didn't allow for multiple votes I would probably not come to this site much if at all. That may of been a good or bad thing for tv.com and others;-)
Flag
I don't think this site allows for any of those options (multiple votes or ranking them on a scale of 1-10 within a poll). Ask Pat....
Flag
You're correct. So far we've kept the poll options quite simple in the Communities, but we plan to add more in the future.
Flag
FYI, we've added some new options to Community polls today.

Would love if you guys tried them out. You'll find them in the Settings dropdown when you create a poll:

Flag
Under the Dome is so bad it's good. I know, I know, but it gets so many comments each week, it's kinda hard to ignore. I do love The Bridge and I like Devious Maids and Ray Donovan. Dexter isn't as bad as most say and they still have a chance to wow us with a great ending. I also like The Newsroom, and I would watch Low Winter Sun if the wife could tolerate it. Burn Notice died several years back and I don't watch True Blood anymore. Breaking Bad is something I haven't felt the need to explore as yet. Crossing Lines wasn't bad with its European flair, but it got muddled a lot and was occasionally stupid. Luther was good, but too short and Orange is the New Black was great, although I haven't finished it yet. Siberia went the way of The Cult and I didn't care enough to watch it fail--which it hasn't as yet. Anybody watching What Remains? It's pretty good. Major Crimes, Perception and Rizolli & Iles are okay and losing The Glades didn't break my heart. I try to keep up with Royal Pains and I do enjoy King & Maxwell. Longmire is a keeper and I'm still catching up on Banshee and Orphan Black. Continuum is one you didn't mention and it's probably the summer's best. Good article, GC and that's been my summer...
More+
Flag
Continuum is listed in the returning shows. I havent watched any of it yet, so i didnt comment on it
Flag
This is a pretty good summing up, but it would have been a little more sincere if I was allowed multiple votiing on each poll. For the "AllHail...."poll I would have included Teen wolf, The Killing, Major Crimes and Hell on Wheels; instead I just put The Killing. also, you forgot The Following, but it was so beyond bad that I forgive you.
Flag
I didnt count The Following as a summer show -doesnt it air in the fall?

But i did forget Strike Back and Luther - which i am bummed about
Flag
Can you edit your poll to include strike back and then let me re-vote? J/K I already know the answer;-)
Flag
If you keep that sass up, you can join Under the Dome in the corner wearing the hat of shame
Flag
unconditional forgiveness always;-)
you don't need to threaten me with the HORRIFYING show UtD
Flag
@Vicky8675309 either forgive me for any show i omitted or i'll make you WATCH EVERY EPISODE OF UNDER THE DOME!!
Flag
Noooooo! NOT THE DOME~that punishment is draconian!

the hat of shame goes to the person who forgot Strike Back (hmm, but I also forgot it.....)
Flag
The Following does air in the Fall, see how insignificant it is to me? You did forget Luther and maybe Dr Who?. Can't you edit?
Flag
I thought we were going to be able to edit stuff in the communities but maybe only stories and certain methods of posting (like as a story)
Flag
Cant edit the polls
Doctor Who was on a winter and spring run -The last episode was in mid May which i thought would be too soon to be considered summer
Flag
Follow this Show
Members