A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)
I´ll try to clarify why I think the US-Mexican version of The Bridge (Bron) works better than the original. Most of the opinions below are subjectively mine.

The initial kill site in Bron takes place between two economically and politically even countries. While The Bridge puts the murder on a very much debated and politically loaded border. The rich US versus the not so rich Mexico. This leads the plot of The Bridge to have more substance in the side plots than the original Bron. Where, the side plots tend to be of everyday character. I might be bias on this, but I think it´s more thrilling to be in the desert being hunted by the cartel than being worried about a broken tail light on the way to day care. According to the series writer Hans Rosenfeldt, he initially suggested that FX should put the show on the Canadian – US border. He got the reply: Who wants to watch ten hours of Canada?

I guess it was a good thing FX put the show on the Southern border.
Another issue Rosenfeldt had with the American remake was weather FX could keep Saga´s square character. As I mentioned earlier, I state that Sonya reflects Saga quite good.

Being home-blind I tend to like things that´s scary to be more plausible when they occur far away from home. That´s one of the reasons I favor The Bridge over Bron.

Also, after the pilot, The Bridge felt like a show on its own. It got the Linder angle. Not until the end of season one when Hasting threatens to blow himself up on the bridge and fails do I realize it´s Bron the remake. I exaggerate a bit but not much. The following scenes with Sonya visiting Marco in the hospital also feels as a straight off copy of the original.

But, as a whole, I still am of the opinion that The Bridge is the most enjoyable to watch. Might be for the fact that I´m used to watch American television and it´s become the norm. At least for my watching schedule. The fact that Bron was voted the best European show in 2012 is good enough for me. That´s well-earned credit.

Season two of Bron is currently airing in Sweden-Denmark. It takes place thirteen months after the accident where Marco/Martin got shot by Sonya/Saga. I won´t discuss what happens in the original but as long as the antagonist is imprisoned, the drive for Marco/Martin will be there.
And Sonya/Saga will always be herself and do and say whatever is on her mind. Right?

That´s the spirit of both The Bridge and Bron!

Courtesy of SVT for allowing use of their images.

18 Comments
Comments (18)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I think the reason of why I disagree with you is pretty self-explained in your sentence: "Being home-blind, I tend to like things that's scary to be more plausible when they occur far away from home." (But I command you for being conscious of that and so honest about it!)
Something that usually bothers me a lot with US tv shows is that "awful things" are always represented as based or originated abroad, outside of the typical "developed countries" group. Typically, "evil" comes from Mexico or South America, the Middle East, Eastern Europe, Asian countries such as China or Vietnam or Thailand...
What I really like about Bron and don't like about The Bridge is exactly that. In Bron, we're between two very developed countries, and the mess is theirs and theirs alone. It's realistic in the sense that the "South" absolutely doesn't have the monopoly on scary, screwed-up, crazy and destructive.
For that reason, I would have enjoyed a Canada-US border much more, I think.

(Also, there is a France-England version called The Tunnel starting out next Monday. It's produced by the same French network as The Returned, and I'm honestly curious as to how it will be.)
More+
Flag
i think it would have been better on Canada, more dark at least, because we are tired of cartels, whats the point of watching The Bridge US?? we want something fresh and new like Bron, it was fresh, the us version isnt, Cartels and drugs? FFS, where is the originality. Is it different than any other american show with Cartels?? NO... It`s a mess, i prefer watching SOA or Breaking Bad than a poor attempt to remake a show when they miss the most important thing about Bron that is the mystery and dark thrilling of what will happen. In the US version we all know what will happen before it happened, its like mixing Machete with any cop show. Bron its all about the thrilling and yes its a slow passed show and thats why its good.

They should have done a remake like The killing, keeping the thrilling and dark atmosphere. But when u put cartels there goes the atmosphere and the thrilling, we all know where cartel shows will wend, for that we have plenty of shows.

I keep saying and im not alone, the Bridge US version is a big FAIL...
More+
Flag
Quite right there, Doc. I think the first thing that came from Denmark that was good in this genre was the Nightwatch (Nattvagten 1994) starring Nikolaj Coster Waldau.
Valid points in your post to consider are the truth in Breaking Bad and the easy to tell outcome.

Loving the first episodes of the next season. Episode four is in the pipe. Will be interseting to see how the American writers change perspective. It will be hard to keep the original plot. So far no one has asked the original writers to contribute to the remake. (Swedish radio source)

That´s probably why it´s the beginning and the end that are the things that are overly similar. I will leave Bron be for now and write on things currently airing.

Thanks for reading and I will keep a more neutral tone in future posts.

Btw, what´s on your watch list, Doc? Having watched both Dexer and Breaking Bad come to a close, I started to look for new shows. Do you have some suggestions?
Flag
You can start by watching Banshee and review it here, its missing a good review because that show definitely deserves it. I recommend it hands down!!!

Another outstanding TV show u probably missed is The Fall with Gillian Anderson ( X-Files) and Jamie Dornan ( Once Upon a Time). Probably because its not american :p

Flag
I´ll have a look at your picks. As for British TV-series I liked Survivors, it had a flavour of The Day of The Triffids over it - and it had not the gun-fondling of The Walking Dead.

Flag
As we are speaking of UK TV shows u should take a look at "In the Flesh" , "Black Mirror" and "Utopia"

Another Good European show is "Les Revenants".

Not speaking of the obvious Dr. Who, Sherlock, Luther and Broadchurch that were already well reviewed here, even so, if u didnt watch u should if u are planning on keep reviewing new shows u need to watch a lot of good previous TV Shows. I can mail u a list if u wish

kkkkkkk :P
Flag
I don't know if the sweden and danish felt like their countries are alike (economically and politically) as you say. If you followed the series you must have noticed subtle differences and not so subtle between them . ( Sweden over Denmark , from what I recall for example; SAGA criticizes the way investigations are conducted in Denmark etc .)
Flag
I´m not in the know on how either country handles crime. I think it´s very much a result of personal preferences. Police in Sweden may act in one way considering who you ask, the same goes for Denmark. As stereotypes go, I guess the writers decided to make the Danish police more prone to break conventions.

Flag
I felt that in the US version had to "explain " a lot through supporting characters unlike BRON.(I think that the writers of this version understimated the American viewers or perhaps were afraid they didn't get the chance to show how good it could be. )

Flag
I disagree I loved BRON BROEN , instead of THE BRIDGE . I like more SAGA than SONIA, perhaps because one I felt original and the other forced. I think that the adaptation to Mexican -Us border situation was difficult, and not always successful .I think it would be best if the two series grow apart as the series progresses keeping only the main characters. In the US version the Sheriff takes part of the relation that in BRON belongs only to SAGA and MARTIN.
Flag
How did you feel about Sweden in the original show? Was it well represented or did it feel like a Danish version of Sweden?
Flag
It felt quite Swedish. But as stated above, stereotypes play a role here. I mean different parts of Sweden are very dissimilar. The show actually handled itself like a standard police TV-series - except from the tie-in with Denmark.

One series I really liked was Tusenbröder. (Brotherhood 2002-2003) about a couple of painters who turn to crime... With Ola Rapace.
Flag
Season 2 for Bron, shiny!
By the way, doesn't The Bridge picture of Kruger look more like Chloë Sevigny ?!
Flag
Follow this Show
Members