A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)
Listen to the theme song while reading: Choir of young beleivers - Hollow Talk

Having watched most episodes of the two series. The original and the American.
I can say they are similar in many ways. Where they are dissimilar it's to the benefit
of the American version. The side plots are way better than the original.
I really like the atmosphere even if it's not actually shot in Mexico.

Regarding the lead actresses I'd say they both do a good job at portraying someone
with a slight deficiency in the social skills department.

They also look alike. At least to me. On the top, Saga Noren (played by Sofia Helin) and on the bottom, Sonya Cross (played by Diane Kruger).

30 Comments
Comments (30)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
OK, let's try something:

Poll

Flag
and of course I voted 50% :)
Flag
Going for 25%. Off the top of my hat I´d say: Alien - Aliens, new style - not really on topic, though.

Game of Thrones - An improvement from the original.(Not fair to compare as there are weeks of enjoyment in the books, while the series manage two swallow a mere few days.)

First Blood - Not so much a success.
It- Not there either.
Vantage Point - Hell no!

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep - Blade Runner - Works like a charm!

I guess, there are tons of works having been remade or changed media. Only a few will stand out. Even if my examples fail to reflect my 25%...
It´s easy to remember good ones. The bad ones fade away, thankfully.
Flag
There is a similar discussion ongoing for the show Elementary. I think it is easier with the classics, because we are more open to see them change and adapt to our age, though.
Flag
I saw the original first and found it superior as far as side plots and inventive dastardliness went, and both the leads have more chemistry together. Plus Saga Noren is more convincing with the aspergers imo. As much as I like Demian Bichir, I preferred the writing and acting for and of the Martin Rhode character actor Kim Bodnia; who had a good sense of humour as well as empathetic compassion. Whereas the US version has me hungering for more Levine time than the Swedish boss.
I'd take exception to Syrinx2 assertions at calling the US one a carbon copy. In that the Swedish/Danish version also differs in some outcomes from the US loose copy and storylines and setups that the main big bad concocts and why are elaborated to greater effect. You also get greater insight with Rhode and his son and the latters' involvement in things. And you have a social worker helping out in his job, with a missing junkie sister instead of the likable oddball care facility guy.
Both are good in their own right and worth a watch. The settings are so different; as are the writing/acting styles, to make them quite different animals.
More+
Flag
I´m glad you liked the original! I guess we should let The Bridge move on its own for now. I just wanted to raise the fact that it has an origin and we are all allowed to have our opinions. Peace out!
/Dave
Flag
Indeed, brother Dave.:)
There were rumours of a second outing for the original too. That would be smart times.
Flag
i dont know how can someone say that the US garbage version of an elite european show is better... The orginal version of The Bridge is far better in everything... I watched the european first and i was waiting for the US version to be awesome and when i saw the first episode with the mexican police speaking spanish in his house for 2 minutes and then changing to american, come on, do they do that? i mean, mexican families speak both languages in a matter of minutes at home??

And BTW, Diane Krugger do a good job, but she can`t change the american directors limited minds. At least i hope thats why we didnt see Diane Krugger bubbies...kkkkkkkkk

The European version is more Dark and creepy. The American version is a Machete wanna be... come on, its ridiculous...not thrilling at all

If this is your first post, u start badly. Everyone that i know say The european version is far better and superior. How can u say the american is better in some cases?? OMG

Flag
I've read somewhere than in the Danish version, Swedish and Danish people understand each other with no issues while speaking each one their own language. Is that the case? That doesn't sound very realistic neither, right? I don't like it when Mexicans or other Spanish speaking people say a sentence in Spanish and then another in English. In fact, I hate that. But from there to garbage, there is still a lot of explaining to do.
Flag
yes, swedish people understand danish people and vice versa is almost like english and american, norway and finland are similar too...

I said garbage for me, ofc i didnt review, just my opinion, if i were reviewing i would say a "mess" ;x
Flag
I'd lived in Sweden. I've seen them trying that. They don't understand each other as well as you say. Norwegian is more similar to Swedish, in my foreign opinion, but still they have to keep asking questions about this and that to clarify when they are talking, and that only if they are used to the other language a bit. Otherwise, they just don't understand, like I don't understand Portuguese. They understand the language of each other well when it's written, but not spoken.

And hey, the language from Finland is not even of Germanic roots, it is just not similar to anything else in the planet.

You can just try and write it more politely, and then your opinion is worth a lot more.

Flag
I, for one does not understand Danish too well. A few words here and there are OK, but when spoken fluidly and fast - not just using easy words, it tends to be a tough guess as to what the essence of a sentence is. A lot of misunderstandings will come from that. As with all sorts of communication.

For some reason, Dansih people supposedly have an easier time understanding Swedish.... So, if not a couple of beers in to a conversation, I will have trouble following what is being said. Cheers!
Flag
First I must say, I find the Danish/Swedish version far superiour to the American one. The American one feels really silly and never got my blood pumping at all, also the acting I found a lot better in the original And why do the Americans always make the foreigners speak english, also when they are speaking with their families???

I watched the Scandinavian one first, (the series is sent with subtitles in both Denmark and Sweden) and then the American one. At the moment I am following season two of the original "Broen/Bron" or as the Americans call it "The Bridge"

For the language part - Yes, Danes and Swedes do understands each other quite well, as long as they don't speak too rapidly. Danes tend to understand more Swedish since they have Swedish television in the areas closest to Sweden. There are som key differences between the languages, and thats why they are different languages and not the same.
Flag
Great that a series not in English can such acclaim that this one has. Go: Rosenfeldt & Co!
Flag
I'm partial to the setting, I guess. Might be why I like it better.
You are free to disagree, of course.
As mentioned in my first comment I´ll do a follow-up on my first post.

To actually post at all was to give some insight that the series actually is a copy of
the Swedish-Danish original. I hope that got through?

Excuse any grammatical or syntax errors on my part. Doing my best over here.

Being Swedish and typing away hoping to make a readable story.
Flag
The problem is not you, but the site when they let u post it in their main page. I`m partial too, anyway i can clearly see that the directing and specially the acting in the Danish show is miles better and someone that cant see that should never be able to post TV Show reviews.
Flag
You can also write your piece in the community and the site will bring it to the home page eventually - this is a way to promote the communities, allowing users to post stuff and other users to know about it. Communities are a rather new thing here and many users still don't know about it.

Your opinion is as good as Syrinx2's. But there is one of you that is being a lot more polite than the other. Guess who?
Flag
DRXabregas you are still confused, this is a community post. You can read Tim's reviews, lucky you, but some shows don't even have official reviews by official writers from the site. And yet, we discuss stuff there because we want to. This was a simple post comparing two shows. You are going to be busy writting this kind of reply to everyone that posts in communities, because there are lots of posts, and some of them are continuously linked to the home page.

You can try to suggest to the website that they mark official posts from users post in a different way. But I can tell you, when it says "community" in the home page, it is most likely a user who post it. And nobody is expecting users to have a degree in history and journalism and a long experience as chief editors of an important newspaper. Hell, most of us we are not even using English correctly because it is not our mother tongue.

Flag
my point is a review must be accurate and done by someone with vast knowledge of acting, directing or even someone who watched a lot of movies and tv shows, the new ones and the past ones and then they can write a review.

Last but not the least a review is not an opinion. I can review a rival team by saying its one of the best teams arround and i hate them... Only because i dont like something that doesnt mean i can make a review saying its bad...

Flag
So, no subjective reviews on tv.com, then?
Flag
I'm glad to know that somebody that has seen both versions, can also see some advantages to the American one. You must be the first one I read that says this. I am curious, did you watch the US version before and then the original?
Flag
Hi Elisa,
I did watch the original first. What struck me with the American episode one was that it was a carbon copy of the original. There was no doubt they had taken almost everything from the original except the setting and "dubbed" it.

The chopped up finds on the border line.

The bridge, duh

The blond cop with Asperger

The situation with the news reporter and his car trouble

Older cop on the down following his libido

Then, it all sunk in and I found myself watching a new series. The girls gone missing
across the border and other elements that made The Bridge stand on its own.
Flag
You've made me want to watch the britsh one.
Flag
I believe they are going to make a British one, but for now I think there is only the Danish one - although somebody told me that the official version with subtitles in English exists, as it has aired in the UK.
Flag
The original aired on BBC4 in a subbed English version. Available to buy and/or download.
Flag
Not much of a post, but hey it's my first! Thanks for checking it out. I'll get back with some in-depth writing, hopefully, at a later date. Cool to be part of the bigger picture.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members