A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

The Bridge S01E07: "Destino"

For your listening jollies, here's Little Scream's "The Lamb," which was featured at the end of the episode. It'll open in a new tab so you can listen while reading.

Wow, I don't even know where to start.
The Bridge, which has become one of television's most entertaining sideshows, turned in the best episode of its wacky first season not by making more sense than usual, but by taking all of its craziness and harnessing it into something unique. Seriously, The Bridge is almost Lynchian (yes, as in David); the series is so off-the-wall, yet it contains so much soul, and it leaves plenty open to interpretation. It isn't holding our hand like other shows tend to do. Instead, it cut our hand off, threw it out the window, and said, "Go find it!" 

I always like to start the these reviews with a "This week, the killer..." But who knows what the killer was up to in "Destino." Maybe we caught him, but come on, we didn't. I certainly don't think that Jack Childress is guy who shut down the power at the border to drop off two halved bodies, and Sonya doesn't think so either. Childress was a nutjob, a man who wrote about Mexicans being aliens—and not illegal aliens, actual aliens! Our Bridge Butcher is an intelligent man with a purpose driving his despicable actions. Chalk this mistaken Childress lead up as more sleight-of-hand as The Bridge throws us off balance. 

But unlike the series' past misdirections, the ramifications of catching Childress cut deep with regard to the cops involved. One of them lost his face. That sucked. And the others felt a sense of emptiness where there should have been satisfaction. Part of that comes from losing a cop; Deputy Stokes was "a moron but he didn't deserve this," Tim Cooper said of the departed, and he was bummed enough to pick up his banjo and drink brown liquor straight from the bottle. Part of it comes from the unknown, the uncertainty over whether they got the right guy. And to underscore everyone's discomfort, there were two quick, dialogue-free scenes at the end of the episode that said a lot. 

In the first one, Marco was driving whoknowswhere with a look of dissatisfaction on his face, perhaps because he was upset over being "the Mexican" Childress wanted to kill, or maybe because he was in despair over the smoking ruins where his family life used to be. And in the second one, we started with a pan of Sonya's mini-shrine to her dead sister, then saw Sonya, fresh out of the shower, staring at her reflection in the mirror. The bruise from Childress's bullet was still ripe on her chest. She was frozen in place, and as she stood there shaking, her hand went to her throat, her eyes closed, and then the episode cut to black. Feel free to interpret that as you will, but the way I see it, Sonya has that incomplete feeling. That maybe they'll never catch this guy. That maybe she'll die in the process. The thought that she won't finish what she's started has become very real to her.

Both detectives' home lives are disastrous, and work is the only thing they have to judge themselves. Catching Childress wasn't exactly a failure, but it was a loss. Stokes is dead, the Bridge Butcher is almost certainly still out there, and Childress will be "beating off and knitting socks" instead of receiving any real justice. When you don't have family or friends to lean on when life sucks—and right now there's no proof that Marco and Sonya have either—you're only left with yourself and disappointment. And that's when lonely people are drawn together, for all you Sonya-Marco 'shippers out there. 

Phew, glad we got that serious stuff out of the way, because "Destino" was also as weird as The Bridge has ever been, and the series is better for it. Though apprehending Childress may have been a dud of an afternoon for the cops, the scenes leading up to the big showdown were a delight for us. We're talking edge-of-your-lawn-chair tension mixed with unnecessarily strange moments. The entire sequence in the trailer park probably held my attention more than anything else the show has done. It echoed the final pursuit of "Maria of the Desert," and demonstrated that The Bridge can do teeth-grinding action with the best of them. But let's talk about the weird. What the hell was that guy doing with a sock on his junk while playing dubstep in his trailer in the middle of the desert? Okay, the answer is bath salts. But does it matter? I don't know. Was it weird? Yes, yes it was. Forget what it looked like? Here you go.

And shortly after that, Stokes was talking to Marco about a daydream he'd had at the dentist's office, and it was almost as if the writers were unsatisfied with his chatter and decided to kill him on the spot. Because before he could finish his story, this:

It's been a while since television made me jump out of my chair, but I never expected Stokes' face to explode all over Marco. It was like one of those old cartoons where a mouse gives a cat an explosive cigar and he lights it up, except slightly more severe. Wow. This is another entry in The Bridge's pattern of killing people before they can join the main cast. Imagine getting your braces taken off in the morning (yay!) and then getting your face taken off later that afternoon (boo!). Talk about a bittersweet day. R.I.P., Stokes, give Heaven some hell while you're there.

So there was a naked guy on bath salts playing some dubstep and an unexpected face-exploding—big deal, right? Because the most bizarre moment of "Destino" happened before the credits even rolled. Graciela, who for some reason is still considering working with that idiot Ray on the tunnel, agreed to let Ray ship some big guns through the tunnel if he... I don't know how to say this, ummm, orally pleasured her? W-w-w-w-w-w-w-w-what!?!?!?!? Spit take, double take, take me away from this horrible image. Okay, one more look. Don't say I never did nothing for ya':

It looked like she was gonna loop that seatbelt around her wrist like she was Indiana Jones about to cut down a rope bridge and swing to safety. Yick! And check out Ray's face in response!

But getting into business with the cartel is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and Ray is a himbo, so what else was he going to do? However, the best part of the whole Ray situation was the incredible shot selection for the next scene Ray was in. This was pure genius by whoever came up with it. I'll just give credit to director Chris Fisher. The next time we saw Ray, he was wearing a snorkel mask. A snorkel mask. Even frat boys are blushing at that. But then we get this gorgeous shot to keep Ray's horrific, man-whoring ways fresh in our memories:

Take my money, you perverted camera genius! The direction and cinematography in "Destino" was top-notch from top-notch to bottom-notch, but this reminder of Ray's indecent cunnilingus on an old Mexican crime lord in the back of an SUV is the shot The Bridge should submit to the Emmys. Is it weird that I like Ray now, even though he's a dum-dum?

I certainly like him more than Charlotte, who's attached to the legs in that scene above. She thinks that if she hands over the operations of the business to Ray, out-of-sight-out-of-mind will take over, but everyone knows Ray is going to screw this up, right? Caesar does. In fact, Caesar is definitely the smartest person on this show. Caesar should take over the business. Caesar should take over the ranch. Heck, Caesar for mayor of El Paso! But Charlotte the slut is still a slave to male attention, and she's fully invested in Ray, if her request for Ray to cum inside her was any indication. She better be on the pill and not be trying to get pregnant, though given how stupid she is, I wouldn't be surprised. 

After a painful week off without him, Linder came back! When we last saw him, wasn't Galvan about to take him for a ride after discovering that Linder was burying his henchman in a ditch? Well forget about that, because Linder is just fine. I guess Galvan was just giving him a ride back to town. If you try to make sense out of everything in this show, you'll just come away disappointed. Let's all pretend that Linder was never in the desert and never saw Galvan, okay? 

This week, Linder met with the woman who tells him which Mexican girls to shepherd to the safety ranch, and the new target was her own daughter (who, I must say, is hotter than the sun). There was just one problem: She was Galvan's girlfriend AND she had no interest in going to the ranch! Small world, eh? I love Linder even though I only understand every third word that comes out of his chipmunk cheeks. And I got a huge kick out of watching him try to convince Galvan's girlfriend to go with him while she resisted. This was his face when he told her, "Don't be scared!"

It would be a lot easier not to be scared if you didn't make the scariest face ever, Linder! He looks like a vampire werewolf pedophile, of course she's going to swing her purse at his mug. And I liked that she felt sorry for him after making his nose bleed, but a voluntary departure was never going to happen. Linder waited for her to get about five feet away from Galvan's visual range, so obviously Galvan would come running down the street waving his gun. Run Linder, run! That's twice in two episodes that you've tempted Galvan. You'd best be smarter the next time, especially with the way this show likes to kill characters. But if Linder goes, I go. You hear me, The Bridge

Only seven episodes in, The Bridge already has a reputation for meandering away from any sense of identy. The logline says the show is about finding a killer, but honestly I'm not even dying to know who the killer is. I'm just happy watching these side stories develop, and "collecting" all the weird little details that pop up. "Destino" managed to keep all of the show's eccentricities intact and give us something very real to think about. This was The Bridge at its oddly charming best. 

THE BORDER BETWEEN THE STORY AND THE NOTES

– There were mirrors all over the place in the episode as the case became less about the killer and more of a reflection of the cops involved. Beautiful work by director Chris Fisher and the rest of the crew on this one.

– Not a whole lot of Daniel this week, but when we did check in with him, he was either dropping generic-brand Pop Tarts or having a seizure. It appears his sobriety isn't going so well. 

– I see a lot of other critics taking this show very seriously. Sorry if you're putting up with my buffoonery, but I think the show's charm comes from its weirdness. This is closer to Twin Peaks than it is to Breaking Bad

– Some people have theorized that Tim Cooper might be the killer, which is the most ridiculous nonsense I've ever heard. He's not the killer. No way. I don't think the killer is anyone we've met.

– Alma's reaction to Marco telling her that he slept over at Sonya's apartment was to have sex with her coworker. The behavior of the people on this show, even the supposed nice ones, is not very nice! Not very nice at all! But I did love the cut from the reflection of Alma about to have sex to Marco looking in the mirror. This one's on you Marco. This reflects back on YOU.

– Here's a tip for all you people in the service industry who have clients who are ruthless murderers: Don't say they gained weight! It's that simple. Keep your mouth shut, and you'll get paid handsomely. Mention their muffin top, and you will get a cigarette put out on top of your head. That tailor deserved his new burn scar. 

96 Comments
Comments (117)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Here's a question: What's the tune Tim Cooper is picking on the banjo near the end of the show? Just can't get it out of my head.
Flag
Did anyone else catch this? It looks like a trojan horse in Sonya's aquarium,, these round plates remind me of ancient shields. Not only is Sonya obsessed with horses, but Diane Kruger played Helena in the movie Troy, I guess this was a subtle nod to that.

Flag
I think Marco's son is the killer they are looking for. He's just wierd and always missing.
Flag
It is me or does he look like 35?
Flag
Up until this episode, The Bridge 40% Marco is awesome, 40% I want to punch Sonya in the face and 20% where are they going with all this...?

But NOW, it's 20% Marco is awesome, both because and inspite of him being a bastard and 80% I don't give f*ck, just take me along for whatever crazy ride you've got planned

While I don't think it had anything to do with her condition, having Sonya as a character finally made some sense as she stood in the middle of a trailer park with a sniper scope on her...how very Carrie Mathison of her. I thought the whole Asperger's bit was some defining aspect of her character, I realizing now that it's just an added layer from a show that adds layers for the specific purpose of keeping the viewer off balance. And in the imortal words of Rod Tidwell, "And I dig that about you!"

Maybe when the season is over, I'll look back and try and makes sense out of what I've just seen...or maybe not. Frankly, at this point I don't care, I just can't wait to see how far down the Juarez rabbit hole goes.
More+
Flag
I am still laughing over Linder comment: a vampire werewolf pedophile ... Goodgod, imagine someone tried to "rescue" you, looking like that.... She handled it incredibly well, imo, even before she recotnized him - which only goes to say Mexicans seem to have seen it all. LoL, I think in the town where I grew up,a man like that wouldn't even be allowed to walk in the streets. Police officers would ask him to change his looks, because he frightens old ladies and small children. :))
Flag
excellent episode!!

LOL--gotta mention face eating when referring to bath-salts;-)

I knew the episode was going to be great when I was laughing so hard before the opening credits even started.

Childress isn't the primary killer (he is a killer--he killed Stokes)~~definitely not the mastermind. He was used (manipulated) by the real killer or maybe voluntarily helped.

I thought the truck was going to be booby trapped but then realized he probably didn't have time to set a trap

Enough with the double standards--Tim always puts in little phrases/words that will piss some people off...I think it is done to (hopefully) to generate comments (otherwise he really does have double standards). Other then that I agreed with his review but wished he didn't call Charlotte a slut. I don't mind the stupid comment since I think she is stupid but the slut comment is so prudish and judgmental.

I think Stokes figures something critical out--maybe a way of looking at the situation or more...

The face off scene was shocking and well done--loved it!

So was the pop tart poisoned or was it alcohol withdrawal related seizures (I'm betting on ETOH withdrawal so he getting get medical treatment asap).

Great review (except for the "slut" double standard comment--her boyfriend is more of a slut/whore then she is).
More+
Flag
I've been enjoying this series so much, always looking forward to what's coming next. And it never lets me down! Of course this guy Childress is not "the" killer - this was episode 7 out of a 13-episode season, so too early, don't you think? Honestly, I don't rack my brains trying to figure out who the killer is, I'll just wait for the revelation. I think there's been so much going on with the backside stories that it's enough to keep me interested and entertained. I wonder where The Bridge is going, though: are they going to wrap up this story at the end or will this killer thing drag on a la The Killing-first-season? And how will the series survive with the case solved? Marcos and Sonya teaming up just happens because of that. I do hope all the backside side connect too. Well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
Flag
Great episode -- and we FINALLY get to see Marco shirtless! Although I was expecting him to be a little more hirsute--oh well.
Flag
The bridge(us) is pretty darn genious, this last episode made me jump from my seat didnt see that coming :D
Flag
Tim I LOVE your reviews of the bridge! But pleeeease stop calling Charlotte a slut and a whore. Her stupid husband told her he doesnt love her just before he died ( that would make everyones head spin) and then she found out that all his money came from doing illegal tunnel stuff and now she has no one and her life is turned up side down. And come on, slut is not a nice thing to say ;)

I think Galvan just let Linder go because he didnt care about him at all, he just wanted the body of the other guy to put heaps of knives in him - so why should he have killed Linder? And Galvan wouldnt ask Linder why the guy is dead.. I dont think he cares

I thinks Alma is unfair - to the co worker. He knows that she doesnt want him. She wants revenge. He should have said no

I wanna know what Stokes was about to say... ahhh I couldnt wait and then BOOM (that was so disgusting)
Flag
Agreed, Charlotte is lonely. The only one she has left is that nasty step daughter. She's a young, nice looking woman - maybe not very smart - but she's lonely.
Flag
Naa, that one won't ever go away :) Poor Tim :D Adultery seems to leave scar tissue with him and to make matters worse, not only did Marco pull the "it meant nothing" on his wife, but did Alma actually have sex with a man she DID mean something to and meant something to her - the ultimate woman's betrayal in man's eyes. Cause spreading seed is okay and no emotion, but spreading legs is a bad bad thing. ..
Flag
Don't you find strange that no one is mentioning or following up on the murder of that American white female Federal Judge who was one half of the first murder on the Bridge? If this was real life, this would have been priority one and you know it. Instead they are now way off base, as the Killer wants. So what do you think her murder meant and her disposal with the other half of a Mexican whore? Why did it not occur to anyone that if Federal FBI agent killed the Mexican whore he did not also kill the Judge? I am not saying he did, but why did they not even ask the question?
What do you think?
Flag
didn't the FBI take over the case of the judge?
Flag
I agree, this show is not about finding the killer, it's about what happens on the sidelines. I connected the eyes from the sketch to Tim Cooper last week but was surprised that a lot of others seem to think so too. We'll just have to wait and see.
I was more surprised that Tim didn't mention Stokes' last words before he got his face blown off. I think he actually had a bright moment there and was about to reveal something crucial to Marco. I have no clue what that might be, but I have a feeling he connected some dots at the dentist's.
Flag
This episode was so over the top. I loved every minute of it. I physically winced every 5 minutes or so.

I tend to forget the importance of finding the killer, but I am trying to figure out who it is. I keep recalling Marco's statement to Sonya last week. "He's watching us."

Has anyone considered it might be Hank?
Flag
Brilliant review, as always. Thank you, Tim.

My only issue is: the guy wasn't listening to dubstep. That was breakbeat, possibly with hints of acid techno. But not even close to dubstep.
Flag
Great review by the Timster. And to all the naysayers concerning this series, this week's episode sent out a thundering "nyah nyah, na nyah nyah" in their direction with the pinpoint accuracy of Childress's sniper fire. Well, with the exception of Stoke's "Face Off" impersonation. I actually thought I got some of him on me after I recovered from the initial "wtf" headspin. I felt the look on Marco's face was hilarious when Childress informed him the shot was actually intended for his butt.
Does Linder have a death wish or what? Is this the reason he is caught up in his "conduit" business? He already was caught burying what Galvan considered "mine" by Galvan in the desert and then the next plan of action is to whisk Galvan's girlfriend off to the farm against her's and Galvan's wishes. Was the scene in the restaurant with his "human salvage" partner to show that Linder talks the same even with a full mouth? I was glad to see him back and I just have to figure out where that boy clothes shops. Loved that horseshoe dress shirt.
Who is Sonya always talking to on her earpiece phone? Kinda reminds me of the scenes from Memento when black and white Leonard is sitting in his motel room on the phone discussing his condition. It is becoming evident why Sonya is in the position she is as far as the day job goes. At first I was thinking how can this cute little oddball actually be a homicide detective. Her attention to detail and her drive to always be on the clock is obviously what makes her perfect for the role. Along with Hank as her go-to guy and protector. I'm sure he is the reason she was put in that position and remains there.
Is Alma's beardo-buddy a co-worker? She is apparently using him to get back at Marco.
Charlotte showed her true colors this week. She isn't some "hoe" out to take an older man's money while shagging her younger interest behind their back. She's just a fragile woman who is only looking for someone she can trust. I personally like her character (as undefined as it is) or it may be that I like the fact that each week she appears to becoming more and more attractive. Go Charlotte, keep that tunnel moving, rawhide! Or is it, "Rayhide"?
As far as making any ground on the killer ID this week, nada. My money is still on Hank but the writers will have a helluva time explaining how he could be.
We'll see.
Great show and review this week. And thanks, Tim, for the Mr. Nutsack gif.
More+
Flag
Do you really think Hank has the physical strength to move bodies and kick Marco in the nut while he was with Sonya saving the girl in the desert? At the same time he was also killing FBI man? This is an old man, he can't be the killer.
Aside from his "conduit"ing, the only thing we know for sure about Linder is that he has a sister he has been looking for ages, that blonde girl that was posted in his office. Apparently, she is a drug addict and that might explain in part why he does what he does. I love his character and hope he will survive. Btw, his scary face was accentuated by a right bloodshot eye which he probably got from fighting the late Victor.
Flag
Did you see how Hank was running when they were going after Gina? I think he could fool you with his abilities. I don't know how they would make him the killer of Gina though, since she would have to have been looking right at him. Unless he stabbed her in the back w/ a knife that was so long that it pierced her completely but I don't know how he could have hidden that so no one else could see it. Hank is just a theory. I had forgotten about Sonya and Hank in the desert. I only recalled how rapidly Hank wanted to get down the road even though Maria was barely completely released from her bondage.
Flag
I will not presume to question your right to consider Hank as the killer, but find this choice inconsistent. His prowess in running after Gina can be attributed to an adrenalin kick to finding her and lower body strength. I have a strong inner conviction that the killer knew Marco, because he spared him when he could easily kill him in the warejouse scene, and this does not apply to Hank. This tells me that he is saving him for something much worse along the line. But that's my take.
Flag
"You do know that sock doesn't even cover your nutsack"....OMG Tim I laughed at your review until my sides hurt. This show is so fracking crazy it blows me away. I really like this bat shit crazy show.
Flag
I don't know why but I love this crazy show.And I agree with you Tim that this show is very like Twin Peaks, just without the supernatural elements.
Flag
Oh god the sex scenes in this episode were creeeeeepy.

I get that feeling that's what they wanted... so I guess it's okay? Ugg... sorry I need to go shower, I just remembered the old lady oral sex.
Flag
What did Daniel look at on the desk just before seizing at the end?
Flag
It was that pop tart the chick left for him.
Flag
This show has become brilliant!
And it seems to react to my neither instincts:
f.i. when Ray met the cartel lady I thought wouldn't it be weird if she uses him sexually and it happened! (Yikes)
Later when Stokes joined the raid I wished for a moment he would get his new teeth blown out by a high caliber gun and he totally did!!! Awesome!
Yes the show looks good too, has its share of amusing weirdness and I'm surprised to say this but Kruger is not as bad as I initially thought her to be. She is kinda sympathetic by now. Like a nosy little turtle.
Flag
Destino was f***ing weird but I gotta say with every episode I like Sonya more and more, probably because she is now more human in my ways... yeah even while holding her sisters murderer hand and "choking" herself.
And yes Ceaser the awesome butler (yeah I know he isn't one but I like to pretend he is one) is back! Damn I missed his face that eternally says: "You are screwed in a bad way" Charlotte listen to the man! and stop asking important questions in the middle of sex that's just wrong, rude and stupid.
And Linder is apparently a gentleman (or a sucker for hot women) cause he didn't smack Galvan's girlfriend with an iron.
And I liked better Daniel when he was on drugs I know is wrong but I hope in the next chapter Daniel the periodist who still has a job (come on he must have some dirt on his boss) will do something risky.
Flag
Let's not forget to analyze the title!

'Destino' has three equivalents in English: 1) fate, 2) a job or task, and 3) a destination.

1. Fate. Lots of fate. Obviously Stokes met his, and so did Cresswell - he'll spend the rest of his life in prison. Marco was meant to die that day...but didn't, and he knows it. And what is the fate of his marriage? Daniel decided to change his fate, and that's not working out too well for him. Ray has sealed his; has Charlotte? Tim is pondering his fate, will it be the same as Stokes?

2. Job. We already know Marco & Sonya are defined almost solely by their jobs. TIm is questioning his job, while Stokes' is over for good. Alma seeks revenge - with a co-worker. Daniel, in a rare moment of clarity admits he can't do his job, and gives the opportunity of a lifetime to a younger reporter. Caesar does his job and gets paid, but he wonders for how much longer. Linder doesn't want to rescue another girl, but it's his job. He can't say no. Ray has affirmed his commitment to his 'job' even though he now knows all the tasks assigned to him. Charlotte needs a job. Any job.

3. Destination. Some minor 'destinations' - the future of Marco and Alma's marriage, Sonya's personal journey, Linder's trips to Juarez, Daniel's journey to sobriety, and the literal destination of the trailer park. But the big kahuna is the photograph Stokes was talking about. Figuratively speaking, it's where the killer is going with his plans. Is it also literally where he's going?
More+
Flag
It was an excellent episode right? Unusual, sure, go watch American Idol if you want normal. But I figured out who the killer is: it's Lyle Lovett. Look at the eyes, you'll see!
Flag
Good episode and though I liked the action scene too, it suddenly reminds me of the Justified "shooting involving various stationery vechicles scene" from last season, there was really way much better.
Flag
I can understand you saying that you prefer Justified, which is your God given right, but you are confusing the genres. Justified is a modern Western like Longmire and The Bridge is a thriller. Apples and oranges and all that kind of thing.
I myself prefer Longmire to Justified. Now this is a statement that makes sense.
Flag
I for a fact have a ranking of my favorite TV shows weekly so I know which show I like better. I rank everything I watch on US TV that week. I see nothing wrong in doing that and it makes sense to me. You are entitled what makes sense to you ofcourse and I would not say you do not make sense.

I watch the pilot of Longmire and never return to it. I been watching Justified since day 1 till now. Personally I think they are 2 very different show.
Flag
Okay. :-)
Flag
Longmire is great...
Flag
considering a certain degree of duality in "the bridge", is it not logical to expect a second killer? Most likely Mexican (remember he used a voice actor for his first messages)
Jack Childress is used by the killer doesn't know him but had contact. my two cents.
Flag
Yes, but that would beat the whole purpose of the series. The whole point is that there is a single killer using the Bridge to commit these murders.
Flag
How is that "the whole point"? Is the show ruined if "the killer" has outsourced some of his tasks to other people?
Flag
the killer used people to kill--like Childress killed the cop... I wonder how much these "outsourced" people really know or where they indirectly manipulated to help the killer's agenda...
Flag
I love your use of "outsourced" in this context.
What makes the series unique is that precisely there is but one killer that elaborated a huge, complex plan that is possible only because he is using the bridge and the differences in police procedures and the general specificity of criminal endeavor of both countries. The Plan obviously took years to concieve and takes advantage and uses many "lesser" crimes as red herrings deviations, such as Childress' and Gedman's in its conception. I very much doubt any of these two voluntarily agreed to join.
Flag
Can we tone down the misogyny a little regarding Charlotte? Marco is married and has cheated on his wife and the show alluded to a previous time he strayed. Charlotte is single and free to do what she damn well pleases. Yet, no name calling for Marco. Looking a little transparent there, Tim.
Flag
he does that in every review--puts in little phrases/words that will piss some people off...I think it is done to (hopefully) to generate comments (otherwise he really does have double standards). Other then that I agreed with his review but, like you, wished he didn't call Charlotte a slut. I don't mind the stupid comment since I think she is stupid but the slut comment is so prudish and judgmental.
Flag
Actually many people complained in discussion about Marco
Flag
While you are right, that misogyny is not a good attitude, Charlotte is not single but a very recent widow, whose late husband is barely buried in the ground.Three weeks or less before getting fucked in his office and on his desk is kind of a short spell, don't you think?
Flag
Any loyalty she owed him was pretty shot to hell when he made sure to tell her he never love her and wanted a divorce BEFORE he went into life threatening surgery. Oh, and left her with an illegal immigrant smuggling tunnel to deal with against Mexican gangsters. He deserves all the screwing over from her in the world on that pretty desk of his.
Flag
I agree with both you and Vicky. At the same time, there is another way of looking at her husband's attitude, precisely because of its timing. Maybe, he wanted her to flee and escape the situation he knew she would fall into with the tunnel and the rest. If she had acted on his sudden denial of her and left him while the surgery was on, she would have never discovered the truth and would be safe, especially as she would still inherit from him. So maybe he was not that much of an asshole?
Flag
I see lots of bending over backwards to give the guy who left his wife when she had cancer, started an illegal enterprise, and dumped his new wife before surgery the benefit of the doubt that he was a good guy (really?) but Charlotte can't be given that same benefit. Just an observation.
Flag
He was an asshole---he owned the tunnel and even though she didn't know about that at the time he was telling her he wanted a divorce it still implied that he was a greedy asshole so he probably acted like a greedy asshole at other times. Therefore, why shouldn't she take his words at face value. Also after his death she discovered the whole tunnel cluster fuck situation so that combined with his demand of a divorce and implied previous asshole behavior make her lack of grief (if that is the case) fine with me.

On the other hand if she loved him and is grieving then who are we to judge how she grieves. Often after funerals people have sex (to reaffirm life or for whatever reason) so why not her. It's just sex you puritan;-) j/k about the puritan comment but not about the "it's just sex". It not like she is cheating ("it's just sex" doesn't apply to cheating).
Flag
he was an asshole who said he was going to divorce her.
How long does someone wait after a partner dies before having sex? Who are we to judge that since it is so personal and subjective.... It may be her way of dealing with grief or saying "fuck you" to the dead husband who said he was divorcing her and left her with that nightmare tunnel to deal with...
Charlotte is single. Widows are single.
Flag
No, not when he told her on his deathbed that he didn't love her anymore...
Flag

In the fantasmagoria that was this episode there is a single scene that was real in terms of our story. It is the scene of Deputy Stokes having his braces removed and having a moment of clarity when he saw this :

As he was attempting to express what this meant to him to Marco, his head was blown off.
What he began by saying is that all the trouble that the killer went through, from the beads, messages and then he was gone, RIP. So what is it about this picture that could have inspired this very intellectually average man to get it?

Apparently, it's a desolate landscape with electrical poles in the far background and a wild bush in the foreground. The tall grass is leaning right which suggest fast winds have recently visited the place. There is no animal or human life there. At this distance there is an interesting detail, the electric lines do not show, as if the poles are just meaninglessly there with no purpose, or purpose lost.
I think a practical mind as the Stokes saw exactly that and got it: There is too much information that the killer has in his possession, too many details that are so intricate that he ( safely we can say it's not a she) used as successive red herrings. Why the waste of this information that was probably very difficult to gather and use it all for deviation. Deviation from what, becomes the central question. Stokes did not get the solution , but I think he got the right attitude to take. That attitude involves understanding that there is something else going on.
While the horrid events occured four years after the original Scandinavian series aired, there is a real example in the way Anders Behring Breivik conducted his massacre of 81 victims on July 24th, 2011 on the island of Utoya, most;y young men and women. Before that massacre, he had a bomb explode near a governmental building in Oslo. Had he not been captured alive and all too eager to confess, the possibility that there was more than one killer or indeed the motive of the killings could have been mis-interpreted .
The point that Anders wanted to achieve, is that elaboration of a mass murder is not limted to a single action, that elaboration does not necessarily stop at the accomplishment of a sngle act of terror. It can be phase one in a more terrible plan. I think this is what we have here.

More+
Flag
They're not electrical poles. They're wind turbines. There are also some thin poles in the ground much closer to the camera, forming two lines. They could be part of an electrical fence, if there are wires between them that we can't see.

What he said was roughly (paraphrasing) "if you were the killer, and you went through the trouble of delivering all these special messages..." I would expect the sentence to continue with a question about what you would do if you were the killer, given that you've done all this work. For example, "wouldn't you want to make sure that the messages are found".
Flag
I am answering all your comments here. This is not my theory per se but what I believe Stokes interpreted this picture and why it is relevant.
Fine , we agree on one point regarding what he said. Now, put this barren landscape in mind. what does it suggest? you think he would continue with an interrogtion on whether he wants these messages to be found. I, on the other hand, think that the question Stokes asks himself is why is the killer actively driving the investigation towards other murders, all except what we know for a fact is his own? Not only is he sending instructions but he has been present in almost all the crime scenes since then. His use of very specific information denotes planning, so why is all that information which he knows will identify him as a cop used for red herrings?
The landscape is barren. To me, I have from one side a man who is suggesting that many things were done in that investigation and from the other, I have a picture which suggest despite long grass and wind turbines, nothingness. In between I have a man who has shown he has a oment of clarity. My conclusion is that he believes that all the beads, messages amount to nothing. I cannot see how any other conclusion this indicates. Given that, we can take this a step further in thinking that if the killer is actively involved in that deception (s), then what is he really driving at?
That's as clearly as I can put it.

More +
Flag
Wow, i wanted to write a comment about the same thing, but i don't think that i would have figured as much as you did
I am still wondering what did that photo mean to stokes and how to connect it with the killer but all i am getting is more questions, i think that your analysis is spot on,
I am pretty sure that the killer is someone we know, and now there is 3 people in my list of suspects that i am 100% that the killer is one of them but we don't really have much info about the killer that i can decide which one yet, i am very in love with this show, it's just great, one of the few shows(if not the only one) that the side stories matter to me in it
Flag
Thank you very much for the compliment.
The only sure thing we know of Stokes is that when Marco and Sonya reached the secondary scene, he had all the crime scene well marked and even went to the trouble to prevent animals from contaminating the scene. So we can at least give him that he was a practical , down to earth man. Fine, he seemed a little too eager but he wasn't as far as what we saw from him a stupid man. I believe that the other cops were a little too condescending towards him because he was a Deputy of a small town with no particularly great social skills. While they looked the other way when it was Sonya who behaved strangely in social contexts, they were not willing to extend that courtesy to him.
Anyways, I figured that the only way he could have looked uopn that picture was in terms of his practical mind and from there drew my conclusions.
Flag
arent those wind turbines?
Flag
Okay, so what's your theory?
Flag
He figured it out right? Stokes? I had the impression he was about to tell Marco why the killer does what he does, where he lives, his name, address, social security number...
Flag
No, that's not what I said, come on, read my comment again. I said he probably figured out it was all a series of elaborate red herrings to deviate the murder investigation from the only significant murder, the first one on the Bridge. That's what the barren landscape means, at one level, that Occam's razor should apply here. If he had the chance to be heard then they would stop going every which way ,as they are right now and focus on the fundamentals of the murders.

Flag
A much easier way to get them to devote less resources to the first murder would have been to hide the bodies where they won't be found. Instead he put them in the one place that would force two law enforcement agencies to work the case. So if Occam says anything here, it's that he's not trying to deviate the investigation from the first one.
Flag
If he didn't want the first case to be investigated thoroughly, he wouldn't have put the bodies on the bridge. I don't even understand your theory. Are you saying that he put the bodies on the bridge to make sure that there would be a thorough investigation, and then completely changed his mind? (It's very easy to argue against that, so I'm guessing that's not what you meant).
Flag
I disagree, hiding the bodies would not have made the link between both murders and would not have involved both agencies. Bodies disappear constantly and never found on that border.
I am taking the position now that it's these first murders that count , the others were gratuitous and used as deviation. I may be totally wrong, but I think this is what is happeneing here. It is not so much a matter of investigative resources, but the way it is used. The way it stands now, there are many investigations that are overlapping, even if only one seem to be a single one.
Flag
Brilliant.
Flag
Charlotte "Did she say anything else?" - would have loved Ray to reply, "Not that i could hear"
Flag
Great review, great episode!
Flag
I TOTALLY agree about the Twin Peaks-ishness of The Bridge. It almost has a Twin Peaks meets Breaking Bad meets Desperado flavor to it.
Flag
I didn't think Cooper was the killer, but I did think he had some kind of dark secret that might be tied to the case. This episode led me away from that theory though, as we actually got to see him do something, and his reaction to Stokes face exploding.

Good episode, but yeah this show is definitely weird. I do think it's Twin Peaksesque.
Flag
I also enjoy the weirdness of this show. Sometimes though I'm annoyed at how some scenes seem so disconnected from each other, like unrelated sketches cut together to make an episode. For example the Linder part was almost too weird. So two weeks ago we see him coming face to face with Galvan, and now he is back in Mexico and just happens to be asked to rescue Galvan's girlfriend? I wonder what Linder told Galvan about what he does and why he killed Hector? And I wonder what Galvan thought when he realized Linder was harassing his girlfriend?
Flag
What do you peeps think Stokes was going to tell Marco? His thoughts from looking at the desert photo at the dentist were important, as the show creators made sure we didn't find out.
Thoughts? Was he thinking the killer was maybe a crime photographer? A newspaper photog? An artist? Reporter?
Flag
The only way this show could have been better last night is if Bath salt guy would have been Iggy Pop.
Flag
I agree that the identity of the killer is not in the forefront of my mind while watching this show. I just loved it. Also thank you for the sound track, I quite like it when you proved music for our listening pleasure while reading.
Flag
This show really is all kinds of great. In the midst of all the seriousness and death they can still throw in some subtle comedy. Actually this is the second episode in a row that they first bit was kind of hilarious. Last week we had Fausto dragging a body through the tunnel giving a kind Hola to Charlotte and Ray. This week we have Ray going down on Graciela and then swimming with a snorkel in the pool. Hilarious.

Now Childress is not the killer. The killer knew about him though. What better way to try to eliminate the people tracking you then setting them against a crazy man with a Blazer r93 Sniper Rifle. Either way that turns out, the killer wins. He set them on a path to combat Childress likely because the killer did not like Childress. To someone like the killer Childress would seem amateurish, indelicate, crass, stupid. He would want him removed just as much as he would want those hunting him. Childress was part of the plan. And this goes to show that the killer has been thinking about this for years. That car was purchased 5 years ago. That is a long time.

Stokes likely figured it all out. As dumb as he is. Sometimes the simplest mind can see through the complexity of it all. But he got a bullet through the head.

Linder was hilarious. Linder's response to seeing Fausto was hilarious. More of that please.

Graciela is smart. She knows that Ray is going to do anything, because he has a pooka shell necklace and is rather stupid. So why not make him go down on her and she gets a lil somtin somtin out of it. Sadly she is likely going to get caught because of the ATF. Oh and there is no way her feet would have gone out the window. She is too short.

The mirror imaging was fantastic.

Sonya choking her self at the end was interesting. Likely it was her first shooting and she doesn't know how to respond to the feelings that come from almost dying.

Now you all have fun with the rest of the season. I am off to the UK this weekend for a few weeks.

More+
Flag
I think the killer sent them after Childress cause cause he hates Mexicans.
Flag
Quote: "Our Bridge Butcher is an intelligent man with a purpose driving his despicable actions. Chalk this mistaken Childress lead up as more sleight-of-hand as The Bridge throws us off balance."

=========

Of course if the "Bridge Butcher" deliberately left a car that would track back to Childress at the scene of a previous murder, the sleight-of-hand was not designed to throw *us* off balance, but to either set up such an encounter and throw the cops off balance OR lead the cops to believe they had found the serial killer in Childress.

Marco should have realised that they probably didn't have the "Bridge Butcher", as soon as Childress announced that he intended to kill the Mexican, as he would not have spared his life at the time when the decapitated FBI agent's head was left in a bag next to him.

I really have been enjoying this series.
Flag
Great review, disagree on 1 aspect. I think we may have met the killer. The sketch of the eyes in the previous episode look a lot like a certain characters eyes. I don't want to give it away and have no idea what this character's motivations are for being the killer, however, the eyes are almost 100% his.
Flag
Now you made me curious...This eyes didn't speak to me at all. It's making me crazy that I don't have any idea who the killer is after we established it's not Linder. I usually have someone in mind...
Flag
I think it's Alma's colleague/lover...
Flag
I agree. It was almost a mistake from the show to reveal the sketch, because humans are very good at recognizing faces and eyes, so it was easy to make the connection. If, however, it turns out that the killer is not the one we are thinking of, then I will admit that the show has surprised me. I have actually made a composite picture of the eyes in the sketch together with the assumed killer's eyes, but I hesitate to post it here, because I don't want to spoil anything for those who have not made the connection yet, even though it's technically just speculation. I think what Ted Levine said in an interview recently is important: "the killer is more Hannibal Lecter than Jame Gumb." That's also a reason to suspect the person you are thinking of.

Flag
Agreed, if you are good at recognition than the show revealing the eyes was a bit of a spoiler if the killer turns out to be who you and I probably believe it is.
Flag
Also, that character has been introduced in the sense that we know he exists, however, we have gotten literally nothing in terms of his backstory. I think its a pretty cheap way of keeping the story a whodunnit, but I'm hoping the show impresses when his backstory is revealed. Whodunnits are the most difficult series to write. The audience wants to know who the killer is, meaning they want to have a relationship with that character prior to finding out he is a killer, while at the same time wanting to be shocked when the killer is revealed. If you enjoy Whodunnits and have a Netflix account, I recommend watching Top of the Lake and/or Broadchurch. Like The Bridge, they're foreign shows that will eventually be re-made and shown as US series, but are great in their original format as well.
Flag
This show has piqued and kept my interest from the beginning. I was a bit worried about Sonya's character at the beginning because it seemed a little contrived, but Marco has been absolutely amazing, and the fact that he's all too human, cheated, and is suffering for that shows it. Childress was a wash; I expected more, but Linder I love! He's shaping up to be the 'sensitive Frankenstein'.

I don't know if I'd say this was Lynch-like, but it does have a weirdness to it that makes it more wonderful. And yeah, the poor guy having his face shot out all over Marco came as a complete surprise to me. I figured he was going to get it, but with all of those shots of him running up, portly build in center screen, I thought we'd see him go down from a gun shot on approach, not the crazy (in an awesome way) camera work and suddenness with which it went down. Ouch. And ouch.
Flag
Not many Show´s have written "For Adults only" all over it, like this show.
Flag
I can't comment on this episode until I re-watch it since there was so much taking place in this hour that I experienced sensory overload. By far the best segment of the series (or any series currently airing) and I'm actually looking forward to seeing it a second time as much as I was concerning the original airing. In fact I can't even finish reading the review because it would be a spoiler for me. The cop getting his head blown off was even more startling than when Axel got his blown off on the Walking Dead. And Ray's spelunking mission with Graciela has proven that when that boy wants something, he really wants it.
Great show and review (from what I have allowed myself to read thus far.)
Flag
Most likely the best review of an episode of any show this year! Review of The Year Tim! Excellent job and an excellent episode! Batshit crazy it was! Holy Moly!
Flag
Funny stuff, my belly hurts a little Mr. Surette, good job.
Excellent episode, ranks #2 in my list (#1 is the pilot for me btw).
Flag
2 minutes in to the episode all I could think of was Tims delight at writing about the weirdness of the oral nastiness. Glad you didn't disappoint Mr Surette!
Flag
That was deja vu with Hank (Ted Levine aka "Buffalo Bill" from Silence of the Lambs) standing there with a gun on a nude guy in the trailer dancing with a sock on his equipment. I still get the laffies when Buffalo Bill standing in front of the mirror with his equipment tucked between his legs doing his crazy gyrantions. It puts the lotion in the basket!!!! LOL
Flag
TY, TY, TY, Tim! Such a fantastic review. Agree with every word, pic, & song choice. I was specifically looking for that photo still of stokes, minus face, for hours (re-watched a cpl times). Humbling to find similar twisted minds. Brian Van Holt (Ray) sure took a leap from Cougar Town. From the top-notch to the bottom-notch! Also was Frye (Lilliard) having a seizure @ the end, right before Sonja does an erotic choke on herself ?!?! THE Best episode of the Season. look fwd to your next review. Right On!
Flag
Damn, this episode was practically over-the-top in places and was the show's best so far. It had pretty much everything: humor, sex, intrigue, gore, action, you name it. A thoroughly enjoyable hour for me.
Flag
Well, Tim Surette, you still have in it in you to write one goddam excellent review when you want to, Brilliant, The idea to have Little Scream's "The Lamb" to listen to while reading the review. It gave the experience that extra punch. Great Mighty Kudos to you, my friend.
Well, The Bridge is not disappointing and no one in their right mind can quaestion any more that it's right up there with Banshee. I personally think it's better, but I won't quibble with ya.
I think you got it right on the money that this episode made following a red herring one fine fishing ride. Letting the line release to have the herring, in this instance Jack Childress, bite through the nice hook and reel him into that trailer camp. The scene when Stokes loses his face is so sudden that really one feels the shade of our own mortality rattle. I mean I litterally lost my breath there for a second as my jaw almost reached the floor. Wow. These are the kind of scenes one will remeber years from now when some dumb game show will ask the question, you know the question that will make you win the fashionable gizmo you just gotta have.
The excellence of this episode lies precisely in these scenes, They are so incredible,, whether it's the "eat my pussy, skunk" scene with Ray and Graciela, the Mirror scene with Sonya, the naked guy with the sock scene and all the others: they create the most sophisticated masterstroke to deviate our attention from the real killer, as sure as what going after Childress has done for the plot. We are going to spend so much time discussing, analyzing these scenes that we will forget it's a thriller and there is still a killer on the loose.
More later.
More+
Flag
You're right, this is good stuff. Hey, aren't Latino men expected to have sex on the side because they're all so hot and have needs even more so than us Gringas--or is that just politically incorrect? I like these folks, the good, the bad and the ugly Good show and good review, Tim...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:00 pm
    People's List
    NEW
    ABC
  • 9:00 pm
    20/20: In an Instant Murder in the Maternity Ward
    NEW
    ABC