A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

The Bridge S01E06: "ID"

I hope you enjoyed this week's episode of The TV Drama the Mexican Tourism Board Doesn't Want You to See, or as it's known in Mexico, The Bridge. Things slowed down a bit in "ID" after all the adultery, beheadings, and Linder underwear-modeling of the previous two installments, but the episode did have murder, post-mortem re-murder, a Sonya sports-bra shot, and chili cheeseburgers. There was also an effort to revisit Marco and Sonya's personal lives. But mostly, the show's message was clear once again: Stay away from Juarez!

After being a bit of a Chatty Cathy for the first four episodes, the killer, let's call him Bob, has gone awfully silent. Well, with words at least. He's been letting his knife do most of the talking, taking out Meadows (Gina's shrink dad) with a slit o' the throat last week and, assuming Gina wasn't the victim of a random parking-garage poking, doing the same thing to her this week. There's another lesson from The Bridge: Stop witnessing murders! The killer covered his tracks by offing Gina before she could ID him (there's your title reference!), and he did so by stalking the El Paso PD to see exactly what they were doing. Or he had someone working on the inside who was feeding him tips. Either way, it's scary stuff for Sonya and Marco.

Even scarier is the way The Bridge is introducing and developing new characters only to mercilessly kill them before they have much impact on the story. Last week it was Hector who perished after spending a few episodes creeping around alleys and strangling some lady, and this week it was Gina, who I figured would stick around a lot longer and, I dunno, do something? Anything? Instead she died to remind us that Sonya lacks social poise and also that kids do not make good witnesses to ID their parents' killers. 

But maybe Gina's death will mean something important, at least to The Bridge's other characters. Sonya was justifiably rattled, taking it the hardest of all the cops, and now we know why. Despite not having the capability to understand why Gina couldn't recall the curvature of the killer's lips or any other facial feature, Sonya did connect with Gina on a more personal level. It was a one-way street, but Sonya definitely felt some kinship with Gina because Sonya—who had to ID her own dead sister at the age of 15—was once that girl, too. Gina's death was also the first of the killer's hits that was off-message. Offing the girl was a defensive move for him; it had nothing to do with the politics of his manifesto, unless he wants to prove that the investigation will heat up now that an American girl has been killed (and that's like kicking a hornet's nest just to prove that hornets will come after you). 

Daniel and Adriana didn't have a whole lot to do in "ID" either. But at least Daniel finally got his phone back. Which he did by retrieving it from the Lost & Found two days after it disappeared, even though he claimed he knew that Marco took it. I don't know about you guys, but that's not an acceptable answer to the Case of the Missing Phone that I made a big stink about last week. Daniel, who flips the bird to authorities for fun, was simply without his phone for two days and he didn't pester Marco or Sonya for it once? Like I've said before, that phone is his link to the killer and the most important puzzle piece to his greatest career opportunity ever. I just don't think he'd sit idly by, especially if he knew Marco took it. That doesn't make sense, and it was sloppy writing just to get the phone into Marco's (and ultimately Sonya's) hands.

But let's get back to our intrepid reporters! Adriana was the one putting pieces together this week, probably because the party was over for Daniel and he was giving sobriety a shot. (Note to Daniel: Hanging out in a bar, even if you're drinking club soda, is a bad plan for getting clean.) They dug up what we already knew/suspected: that Marco was involved with a case involving Faust Galvan's dead brother and a house of full of dead bodies, and Marco buried the case to help Fausto (the situation was first brought to our attention when Sonya went to Marco's office and snooped around about an extra body a few episodes ago). According to Adriana and Daniel, the killer dumped half of the hooker's dead body in that same house in order to get the word out that Marco is a dirty cop. But the details of what happened are still pretty fuzzy, and if you're confused, don't worry, I'm right beside you. We'll just have to exhibit some patience, I guess.

And now let's talk about Charlotte, that dirty little slut. She's really mourning Carl, isn't she? I'm really not liking her now. And bringing Ray, King of the Bros, to the estate for sex is classless. She's already banged two guys since her husband died something like a week and a half ago. And now she thinks it's a good idea to bring Ray in to manage her Mexican-tunnel business? AND she somehow thinks she has the power to lay down rules when Graciela murdered her horse and Fausto is dragging dead bodies through her basement? This woman has some brass balls on her to try to throw her weight around with human murderers and horse murderers, especially when she has lots of her hard-earned husband's money to lose.

I'm not taking blame away from Graciela and her lawyer Flagman, either. Why would they budge to Charlotte's demands and take on some doofus as her proxy? Ray has the honor of being The Bridge's most clumsily introduced character thus far. Is criminal business always this easy? So far, Ray has shown up, said "Let's have a few drinks and then I'll show you my tattoo," had sex with Charlotte, and now he's already partner in the illegal human-trafficking business that runs under Charlotte's property? This isn't like switching the name on a dinner reservation or transferring a will-call ticket to a Justin Timberlake concert; this is a huge criminal enterprise, they have to be careful, and running someone's social security number doesn't seem good enough. Unsurprisingly, it appears that Ray is going to try to run drugs (I assume) through that tunnel using his friend as a connection, completely unaware that his buddy is being played by the cops. Talk about amateur hour. He'll probably be murdered next week, if the history of this show has taught us anything. But his involvement also hints that the Tampa police might get involved in the whole situation, which casts the net a little wider than it needed to be. 

It seems like each week, The Bridge raises some very puzzling questions. Sometimes they're obvious errors that don't fit into a crime show: How did Marco not notice his wallet was missing? Same goes for Daniel, but replace the wallet with a cell phone, and why didn't he go after the man he knew took it? And now, why are these human traffickers even considering letting some random gringo operate Charlotte's side of the business? Sometimes the head-scratchers are of a more structural nature. Why did we spend so much time with Hector if he was just going to be killed so fast? Ditto for Gina? What was the point of Ava Guerra? Are The Bridge's purposeful misleads effective, or are they trying too hard?

"ID" was a step backward from "The Beast" and "Maria of the Desert." Yet I'm still fascinated by the series and I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly why. I want to know what happens. I'm intrigued by the odd choices as a student of television dramas. I want to see what makes this show tick. Maybe I'm just infatuated with the killer and how The Bridge has managed to make his character more of a spectre of change instead of a lunatic like the ones who anchor other serial-killer shows. But really I'm enjoying that The Bridge has taken a worn-out genre and made it feel fresh again. I normally don't like detective shows because they tend to be so rigid. But The Bridge, with its odd little eccentricities, is making it work... or at least appearing to make it work.

THE BORDER BETWEEN THE STORY AND THE NOTES

– Marco: "Sure I'll give you a cigarette, just don't tell anyone, especially Sonya. Here, let me light you up right here in the middle of this office in this room with windows for walls. But don't let anyone see." BUSTED, Marco. 

– Does anyone care about Marco's home life yet? I sure don't.

– Ummm, excuse me? But where was Linder? He's my favorite character! He took this week off after we last saw him being confronted by Galvan, and the show was that much less weird for it.

– Did anyone, for a second, think that when Fausto had all his boys pick up knives with Hector's dead body on the table that they were going to eat him? I didn't, but that would have been hilarious.

– Do you think there's anything to how the killer chooses his murder methods? Meadows was killed like a drug dealer with a Colombian Necktie, Gedman was beheaded for partying with prostitutes, the illegal immigrants were poisoned, and the judge and the hooker were "bisected." It's an interesting idea that he might use different "styles" of murder to get his message across.

– What do you think of the "floating" text message effect used when Gus was e-talking to Zina? I think I didn't like it; the mesages were too "loud." I much prefer the way House of Cards did it, with a subtler look. 

– Hmmm, holding the hands of your sister's killer in a psych ward while he draws little blonde girls isn't weird at all, Sonya!

110 Comments
Comments (87)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
This show is always throwing curve balls. Some bad ( the kid witness getting killed after just being introduced?? and Mexican Stranglehold Man killed after seeing him in multiple eps??) Some good( Marco not taking the money but you know he's not perfect since he slept with Horny Widow Reyes!) * SIDE NOTE 1* I did not know if Marcos was going to keep the money(reward) after the Ramon Franco character threw him the 10 thousand dollar stack..( i liked that) Keep throwing stuff at the wall "Bridge"!
You have my attention! SIDE NOTE 2* I 'm just not sure of Sonya(The character. I sure the actress is fine but the the way she's written still seems off. Good or Bad acting?!?! I guess its up for debate.. Till next week!!
Flag
"Why did we spend so much time with Hector if he was just going to be killed so fast? Ditto for Gina?"

I actually like their approach that less important characters don't get less screening time. It makes it more random and less transparent, I really like it. Plus it gives us at least a little more involvement in the character, so it might shock us more if they actually die.
Flag
"...the episode did have murder, post-mortem..." I just laughed at this way to much, because you had a dead guy in a post, a post mortem
Flag

:)
Flag
Ted Levine always plays bad guys.
Flag
He wasn't a bad guy on Monk. Also I think the eyes drawing and seeing him run around looking for Gina leads some to believe he just might be the killer. And he just might be.... So far show is pretty good. I'll give it a solid 8.
Flag
does he have beautiful eys?:)

Flag
Whenever I look at Matthew Lillard I can't take him seriously for any role. Because all I can see is Shaggy from Scooby Doo.
Flag
Which is your problem, not his.
Flag
Bridges is a great show - hopefully it will continue.
BTW - "What To watch On TV" has disappeared - where is it? Why has it gone? Can anyone help me? Thanks
Flag

Whatever the bug is that makes people turn into zombies on the walking dead I'm pretty sure sonya has caught it. My god that actress is the worst ever and I swear if she gets any thinner or paler she will start to rot!

Apart from her the crappy disjointed writing on this show is so annoying and it makes other actors who I have seen do stellar work on shows like Justified look inept. Time to change channels for me!

Flag
Marco giving a cigar to an underage girl show you how much a mexican, and by the way a latnamerican cop, does not give a damn about stupid laws that are non relevant.
Marco's life is interestig as long as they show the wife. Hotter than the widow, for sure.
Linder is washing his underwear...
The knives stuff was impressing. Living in a country where once a week a decapitated corpse is around, wathing a deade dud crucified with knives is strong.
Sonya is crazy... Withe the dude in psych ward... Wow, she has the nuts Marco is missing.
Flag
Who plays Ray? He's not listed in IMDB.
Flag
Brian Van Holt. He also plays Courtney Cox's ex-husband on Cougar Town.
Flag
I think we prolly shouldn't speculate on the killer because someone who has seen the Danish/Swedish version may spoil the show for everyone else.
One or two of the comments in here are innocent speculation if they come from someone who hasn't seen the scandi version, but are selfish egotistical spoilers, if the person has seen the scandi.
And no they don't identify the killer, they just signal the plot, but if guessing the perp was the go in here it would only be a matter of time before the spoiler train took off -you know the one where the first person reveals the secrets disguised as speculation, then the next person comes in & confirms that indeed is whodunnit.
When challenged about the spoil 2nd peep goes all "Well it wasn't me who blew it it was Joe Loudmouth who said whodunnit & I thought everyone knew".
This show is really more about the journey than the destination, but knowing in advance always makes a murder show less compelling to watch.

As a bloke I feel obliged to say that I reckon Charlotte is entitled to deal with the shit sandwich she's just been handed anyway she likes.
As well as sudden death and screwing going together like apple pie & ice cream, Charlotte, who is a stranger in this part of the world, has just been threatened by a murderous psycho bitch and feels the need for male company.

I'm sure I'm not the only bloke who has been offered a seemingly zipless one (I.E. no entanglements) from a woman desperate to have a man about to deal with the physical violence. Its an almost instinctive behaviour from some women who find themselves in a tough place with few answers.
Most men quietly revel in playing the hero, and it's lame to call a woman who is doin what she needs to to get by a slut, just cause she's decided she would rather have a bit of fun sex from someone she trusts than a bullet or a boot to the head from an asshole.
More+
Flag
Jesus H. Christ, when is it actually going to be permissible for women to enjoy sex AND admit to enjoying sex every bit as much as men do, only WITHOUT being shamed for it??? If Charlotte's character had been a man, you would have verbally high-fived him, Tim. But, of course, Charlotte's a woman, so she must be punished for owning her sexuality. How 1950's of you. Sigh...I had such high hopes for the 21st century....
Flag
It's okay to enjoy sex, girl. Just not a week after your husband dies. It just isn't cool.

You're also missing the point, we're supposed to dislike her character, not connect with her. She was always a gold-digger, and his husband knew it, she knew it but pretended otherwise. When she heard him say he didn't love her at all, she stopped faking it. Now that she's scared to death, she's playing her cards to get some manly protection from a guy she knows has been a misfit in the past. She's a manipulative b*&%h, and she's gonna get Ray killed in a very gruesome way most likely.
Flag
Tim Surette is known for his occassional sexism.
Flag
Do i think she is a slut yes, but i would think the same if she was a man, like Marco, he is a man slut, his wife is "hot", he have a big family who loves him, but he just can't seem to keep "it" in his pants even though he sterilized himself, so yes he is a Man-Slut, the same as Charlotte, but at least Charlotte isn't married and her husband was a dick who didn't love her and used her as a sex doll and who built a tunnel to smuggle illegals and drugs and killers through it,
Flag
Unfortunately, world disagrees with you on that, MAN.
Flag
The world is a sick place, too bad there is nowhere else to live
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Jezebel.com is that way.
Flag
Biggots made in u.s.a.
Flag
Nobody likes a slu.t
Flag
As the show sets up shop and gradually lets the viewer in, I'm finding myself enjoying it more and more. This particular episode had some nice little character bits that filled in some missing back-story, especially for Sonya.

There are still some uneven elements that you can choose to pick nits about (the phone, the wallet, various stuff with Charlotte), but generally I think the show's odd and vague nature is also part of its charm... as long as they're going somewhere with all of this, of course.

By the by, I am 100% convinced that Tim Cooper -- the brown haired cop always wearing a cowboy hat -- is secretly The Beast. There's just something vaguely 'off' about him... the way he's always hanging around the periphery of scenes, observing the main cast but scarcely interacting with them except for bits of grunt work.

Meanwhile, good ol' mushmouth Linder is dancing around in the foreground doing wacky stuff to distract you from the killer being right under your nose.

Flag
I watched this episode again last night, and I agree we need a little more back-story on Sonya. Why does she have a German accent? Her mom was German? Her dad? How did they end up in El Paso...we know she's been there since she was 15, when her sis was killed. (If we're supposed to ignore her accent, then this show is ridiculous...they should have forced her to speak in an American accent, if that's the case.)

I also think it's funny she didn't like Alma's cooking. I don't know if she just didn't like Alma's food or Mexican food, in general...kinda funny to live in a border town and not like Mexican. (I live in Arizona and Mexican food is rather ubiquitous!) ;-)

Is Sonya's mom dead? I thought she said that, but I don't remember. And did she ever know her dad?
Also, there is something very ODD about Marco's son when it comes Sonya. Yes, I get that he's a horny teenager and Sonya is hot...but he's overboard, in my opinion.
Flag
German accent? It is so slight that only nitpickers notice. Who cares anyway? And I don't think Sonja doesn't like mexican food in general. She is just straight-forward and honest that way so she said what was on her mind. That's all. How that extrapolates on her not liking mexican food in general?
Flag
I'm guessing that Uheardme is just goofing. The actress who plays Sonya is from Germany. Though Sonya's cold selfish sex life, could have also be an indicator ;)
Flag
Tim Cooper is my suspect number 1 too.
Flag
Agree with you Tim. Sonya and Gina's parallels are interesting, but it feels like the hunt for the killer is interfering with the elements the show is more interested in exploring. Wish they'd just solve it and focus on the crazy sh*t that happens around the border
Flag
Stupidity kills. This would be tragic in real life, but since it's a fictional character it's just irritating. It's like when the monster is after some people and a child goes back to retrieve his/her doll and gets an adult killed.

First Gina can't say one useful thing about the killer because she's too nervous and scared. Then she's so "smart" and ditches the cops who want no want nothing bu to help her, paying her lunch and all. Then she gets stabbed, and, OK, girl, you made a few bad mistakes, time to redeem yourself. Tell us about the criminal. But what does she say? "Am I gonna die?" "YES. Yes, you are! And it's all your fault. Now, about the criminal..." Too late.
Flag
she got the sketch of the killers eyes correct

why did she run since she had nowhere to go~~was she spooked?
Flag
You're right, she got the eyes. She obviously didn't trust the police and apparently felt that any place was better than near them. But her whole behavior was like she didn't want to be helped and made things for the kiler easier.
Flag
I've figured out who the killer is......at least I'm pretty sure, and the clue was in this episode. Weill be interesting to see if I am right or not!
Flag
I was just about to post the same thing! So now the question is: are we allowed to speculate about the identity of the killer, or is it too much of a spoiler to open up about it? Or can we post a separate thread about it in the community? And how about evidence/clues, can we post them here? What do the self-appointed representatives of the TV watching democracy say?
Flag
it's just guesses back up by reasons you think that person(s) is the killer(s)...I say go for it but I'm not a representative of tv.com imo.
At first during this episode a brief thought of Marco's wife's boss crossed my mind but there was nothing to back it up. I am guessing it is one of the FBI agents. I don't think it is the mustached cop but I'm probably wrong. I think it is someone in law enforcement but since the show is leading us down that path then I start to second guess myself and think it is a red herring.

I can't remember if The Bridge has it's own community. If so then maybe a separate discussion about this should be started there. My guesses above are just wild guesses so I'm not spoiling it for anyone imo.
Flag
The scene at the beginning when Fausto and his henchman came dragging the body down to the tunnel was hilarious! A wonderful moment of dark comedy. It was like a regular day at work for Fausto; just passing by, towing a dead man. Nothing to see here.
Flag
The killer could be anybody...usually in a crime show, it's someone we've seen. That may not be the case here, but who knows? Maybe the killer is Marco's wife's colleague who tried to kiss her? Maybe it's Lyle Lovett? Maybe it's the hottie from "Third Watch" who Sonya slept with?
Can't wait to find out...
Flag
This is a weaker episode than the last but the show is still intriguing and interesting.

Marco's home life is interesting only because of his beautiful wife. Seriously much prettier than the horny widow !
Flag
"...this week's episode of The TV Drama the Mexican Tourism Board Doesn't Want You to See," o como se le conoce en México, El Puente.

Something, some opportunity or relevant detail, was completely mishandled with regard to the Gina storyline. Why did they include so many repetitive scenes of Sonya not connecting with this child? Why include the scene of Marco giving her a smoke, at all? And who smokes in local government offices these days? Some key scene pertaining to Gina, the one that would have tied us in to her with some true emotional investment, ended up on the cutting room floor, so instead her death just feels like, well ok, that happened. No real emotional impact.

I recognize that I have high expectations but at this point I am beginning to see the writing and direction as far more clumsy and misguided than I had anticipated given the collaborators working on the project and the fact it is at FX. There are definitely some cheap shots and exploitation of stereotypes and generalities, I wasn't so naive as to think there wouldn't be, but I expected there to be more nuance offered, a little good with the bad and vice versa. Instead, it is heavy-handed: Mexico bad, corrupt, violent, dirty, poor, US good, lawful, opportunity, clean, wealthy. A more interesting and less polarizing story could have been told here yet instead I feel like we are getting a Fox Newsian vision of border life, which is ironic considering that Fox has committed more resources to programming for latinoamericanos in the US than any other broadcaster. Perhaps I should not have expected more from a programmer in the media group that also employs Bill O'Reilly, Glenn Beck, and Steven Milloy.
More+
Flag
Did Gina even mention to them that she had been in Juarez and almost been kidnapped a few hours before her father was murdered?
Flag
Well I liked a lot of it and disliked one part.

Offing Gina was all right. It shows that the killer is serious and isn't going to let anything get in his way in fulfilling whatever plan he has. Even if it means killing an innocent like Gina. However, the way they went about it kind of bothered me. Her escaping out of the diner was predictable, her ending up in a parking garage stabbed by the killer was a little trite. But him killing her kind of balanced it out. And killing off what in any other show would have been an important character an episode after we meet her and a kid at that. Pretty ballsy for the show. I kind of like it.

However, this episode was hilarious. That first part with Fausto dragging the body through the tunnel with just a hello to Charlotte and Ray was morbidly hilarious. The parts with Sonya and Gina. For some reason it just made me laugh.

Daniel and Adriana were all right. I totally didn't dislike Daniel this episode. However if he really did cut down the siccario, I don't think he is long for the world. It will be interesting to see what Fausto does with that. And be interesting to see what the Killer does with that since it seems that Daniel is going to be the one that gives the killer his voice. The killer is laying all out for him with the body, with the files on the FBI agent all of it. So what would happen if the cartel goes after Daniel. What would the killer do.

Charlotte is dumb. I am not sure what she thought Ray was going to do. But likely it was what she thought Marcos was going to do. He is going to be the intermediary for her and Graciela. The problem with that is that Ray is a moron. I am sure Graciela is welcoming to him. There is nothing better to deal with when you are criminal of her stature than dealing with a moron like Charlotte. Except when you are dealing with a criminal that thinks he is higher in station than he is but still a moron, like Ray. You see morons like Charlotte are unpredictable, they are scared and they will do things that defy logic and generally end up getting someone caught. But criminal morons like Ray are unbelievably predictable. Though likely, she isn't anticipating that the ATF had his friend. Which likely means that Ray is going to try and ship guns down south.

Ava was to introduce Hector and the cartel, Hector's time was for the introduction and knowledge of Fausto. Gina was to show how far the killer is willing to go to achieve what he views as success for whatever he wants to do. I don't think they are purposeful misleads or them trying to hard. They are peeling back the layers of the characters in the show. This is likely them showing them that they are in it for the long haul.

I don't think it was a step forward or a step backward. I just think it was a pause. This is a show that is determined, this is a show that is going for a slow build. I am not sure if it has been picked up for a second season or not. But this is a show that is definitely looking at a multi season arc with only little reveals to appease those that are impatient.

Notes.

He was just trying to build a report. Sadly had he gone to the diner I doubt that Gina would have made a break for it. Or gotten that far if she did. Marco would have seen it coming.

It is just the runners showing that he isn't squeaky clean. He isn't dirty. But he has his faults as do all of the characters.

Linder, my guess is cooling his heals after getting caught in the middle of the desert by Fausto. Admit it, that is pretty impressive.

Nope. I have seen the pictures of what cartels do to people with knives.

My guess is that there is a method to the killers madness and we are going understand fully until we see the whole picture. Likely there are reasons for it. They are way too specific to be random. And considering that he knows all of these people. Likely they are directed toward what he views as their crimes. Save for Gina which was probably more for survival.

Floating text messages are going to be there whether we like it or not.

I don't think it was creepy. It is likely her effort to try to understand why he killed her sister. Same thing with the box in her desk.

More+
Flag
I don't think Gina is an "innocent," as you say. It's too coincidental to me that hours before her murder she went to Juarez like an Americano estupido and went into some stranger's apartment, and almost was kidnapped and murdered. Then she comes home and her drug-dealing father is dead, when they both were at the cop shop the day before?

There's something there...the killer is making a point about her in general...she's really not so innocent, in his eyes, both for going unaccompanied to Juarez, and for being the daughter of a drug-dealer...
Flag
Did Gina see something that spooked her~~like maybe the killer?

Could there be more then one killer (different MOs)? A group of like minded sociopaths who are angry about the border situation (idealistic, frustrated, sociopathic border guard(s) working with like minded FBI agents and cops)---maybe I shouldn't of watched that horrible show The Following;-)
Flag
I doubt that GIna saw the Killer. The killer is too smart for that, because of the chance that she might recognize him and mention it to Sonya and Hank. I think she coming from her recent experience in Juarez with the kidnapper and having to be told that she was in danger was a wake up call. Couple that with the story of "The Beast" and add in Sonya emphasizing the importance of her witnessing him plus the severe way in which he dealt with her father. I think she realized real quick that she was big time screwed, panicked and decided to run when she was in the police station. The diner just afforded her the chance, especially with Marco MIA dealing with Alma.

The multi killer thing? I just don't get that from this guy. I mean if the writers wanted to they could certainly write that in. The scenes and murders are varied enough that if they so desire they could ascribe that to multiple killers. But I think that would dilute the mythos of the killer that they have built thus far. And I happen to like that mythos. Super intelligent, likely caucasian or perhaps mixed which would give him more of a psychological reason for this, knowledge of the area, deep knowledge of the area. If it is multiple killers, which could work, I think it kind of ruins the story. But cops? unlikely, granted this guy could be a cop or was once a cop. But that is a lot of cops to become that way and meet up with each other. I could see it with the poisoning of immigrants, but the judge and the girl? no way. Cops that tend to go bad, usually involve a family member or corruption through money.
More +
Flag
Gina saw the killer when he killed her dad and we know she got the eyes right on the sketch. Yeah, she probably didn't see the killer at the diner and her back was to the window.

I was semi-joking about there being more then one killer for the main killing (not taking about the cartel guy but the "real" or "main" killer of the story).
Flag
But they really could write it as multiple killers if they wanted to. And I kind of like that ambiguity/mystery of that. It really could be be multiple killers. But it just deepens the mythos and the mystery of it if it is just one man.
Flag
Marco got interesting this week cause he now has some weird connection with Galvan. I don't know if their fathers were friends or bros or cousins or who cares...
Gina dying was kinda of weird... I mean she just witnessed a murder and decided to runaway whitout money, cellphone or anything? come on that's like sending an outer space signal saying: "attack me!"
Charlotte (the widow) got his boytoy to run the tunnel business for her... and that was stupid. Woman don't mix pleasure with business!
And kudos to the actress who looks amazing.
I've been liking Sonya a lot more now she looks less like a robot and more human but still acting like a total weirdo.
So keep more The Bridge episodes coming and stay away from Juarez
Flag
It seemed to me that Marco and Fausto's fathers started the cartel that Fausto now runs. With that they likely grew up together. Marco rebelled against his father and became a cop. This is likely why they leave Marco relatively alone in that he isn't on the take. And why he can do things like refuse money and have no punishments for it.
Flag
I really enjoyed this episode.
Flag
I'm pretty much in agreement with you here, Tim. I hated the cheap way Daniel got his phone back, and how stupid it was that Marco lost his wallet. But there is something that keeps pulling me in to this show. I think it's just the great acting out of Demian Bichir. Diane Kruger is great at times as well, but her social ineptitude is occasionally grating.

As for the whole tunnel/Ray situation, at least from my perspective, I assumed that it wasn't necessarily as easy as it seemed. As in maybe Graciela is a few steps ahead, or she's just screwing around with Charlotte, or going to kill Ray and send a message it's not that easy. I guess we will find out.

Also, I'm pretty suspicious about that mustachioed cop whose name I'm not remembering. If there's a mole or a link to the killer, my money is on him.
Flag
Are you thinking about Cooper? The other El Paso PD Detective? Every time he's on screen I keep waiting for cheap jokes and one liners but he wierdly looks so earnest and sincere; I can't stop thinking Reno 911 for some reason.
Flag
It's the mustache.
Flag
Yeah, that's the one. I can't explain why but since about the second episode I've had a suspicious feeling towards that guy.
Flag
No step backwards to me at all. Still a very brilliant show/episode and i'm glued to the screen as ever! Some crazy stuff happenin!
Flag
I do not see the step backwards either, at least in the quality of the show or how compelling it has been so far.
The acting is extremely good and finally Diane Kruger proved herself this time on the last scene where her character is still trying to understand why her sister was murdered... what a strong compulsion, yes?
Flag

What the hell did Gina say about Hank right before she died? Did anyone catch it? I'm beginning to think the kind, understanding Lieutenant is actually tied directly to or IS the killer.

Flag
She told Sonya that she got the eyes right and later they flashed to the sketch of the killer's eyes.
Flag
I re-watched it last night and I'm totally convinced that Hank is the killer now. He also killed Sonya's sister and that's why he scrambled the brains of the truck driver so he could be Hank's patsy for the murder. Hank was also the first one to get to the parking deck where Gina was killed and then shows up again like he just got there.
Flag
Interesting theory and I can see it but why didn't Gina say it was Hank instead of saying she got the eyes right? Do the eyes match Hank's eyes?
I have theory about Marco but more later--just pulled into work--plus it's probably wrong....
Flag
I haven't figured out why she didn't say it was Hank, either. But the other pieces fit. Guess I'll have to keep watching ( I would anyway just to see how irritatingly awkward Sonya comes across this week).
Flag
I think reviewing so much bad TV over the last several months has left Tim unable to appreciate this show, which has been the saving grace of summer programming.

Tim, I am sure a few days off and some tequila will help numb the effects of watching all that Under the Dome...
Flag
I don't see it that way at all. His reviews have been generally positive and I think he likes the show overall. His few complaints have been both minor and valid (in my opinion). This isn't /quite/ up to FX's usual standards of excellence, at least so far, but it's definitely enjoyable and one of the things I most look forward to seeing each week. My sense of things is that Tim probably feels pretty much the same way.
Flag
I do enjoy The Bridge a lot and I'm very happy I'm reviewing it. But I do feel the need to point out some of its flaws because it's really close to being great. I think the problems are mostly first-season jitters. WavSlav said it right. And Yamachamama you're absolutely right, it's one of the best summer shows we have. Thanks for reading!
Flag
Linder better now show in next in the morgue!

Also Charlotte is a horrible human being and I wouldn't mind if the next time we saw her she was on a slab in said morgue.
Flag
Why is Charlotte horrible?
Flag
Yeah, where was Linder this week? I really missed my weekly dose of Mumbles.

I also wanted to mention how much I've been enjoying Ted Levine in the series. No, he hasn't done anything exceptional but I still like his overall presence and wish he was getting more screen time. This week gave us much more of him than usual and it was a boon to the episode.
Flag
Could someone please tell me what Gina's dying words were? I couldn't make them out. Thanks. :-)
Flag
I just asked the same thing. She mumbled something about Hank.
Flag
"I got his eyes right."

I did see the exact quote due to having the captioning on at the time. Even if that wasn't a verbatim transcription, that was the gist of it.
Flag
that is what she said and shortly after that scene they flashed to the sketch of her killer's eyes.
Flag
Gracias! ;-)
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
I think she says she got his eyes right. So I guess that sketch is accurate.
Flag
You are a traditionalist, I can tell. :)) A woman whose husband told her basically she can go f#ck herself and then died before he could divorce her and kick her on the street, is supposed to stop having a life and perish the thought she has sex with people she hopes might help her face Mexican lunatics? That makes her a total slut, sure.

Holding hands of your sister's killer is probably the only connection she has left. I once saw a movie in which a guy keeps his wife's killer in a cage for decades. Doesn't do anything. Just keeps him. Keeping his whole life stuck in one moment, as opposed to moving on under difficult circumstances (read the first paragraph.)

But I missed Linder, too. Also fav char.
Flag
I'm so glad I read your comment before commenting. I agree with you about Charlotte....people are so judgmental about her having sex. Her husband was an ass who wanted to divorce her. She has a sex drive~~so what.

I wonder if the situation involved a guy whose wife was going to divorce him and she died...how would everyone feel if he had a one night stand and then hooked up with an ex (or old friend)? I try not to judge people on things that don't adversely affect others (emphasis on "try").

Excellent comment!
Flag
Totally agree about Charlotte. She's trying to make the best of a huge crap sandwich her husband left her with. She can't exactly sell the ranch and move. I can just see that listing: El Paso mansion, 6 bedroom, 4 bath, one illegal mexican smuggling tunnel. AS IS.

Her husband took the time before a surgery he could very well DIE from to tell his wife he didn't love her and wanted a divorce, after the woman attempted to pay off gov't officials to get him to an American hospital I might add, so clearly she wanted the guy to live.
Flag
That movie you saw was, "El Secreto de Sus Ojos" and I NEVER saw that twist coming in the end! ;-)
Flag
Well, that part of gender evolution hasn't really gotten anywhere. I mean, Vicky, we don’t have to look for a widower – we have Marco, who humps everything that throws a shadow while his wife is home taking care of his kids – and we all think of him like the hottest thing since … Mexico. Dunno where it was, some TV show, Boston Legal or somesuch, where they argued that people marry for all kinds of reasons – honest reasons. It seemed to me that Charlotte may not have loved her husband like Cinderella loves Charming, she lived up to her status of a trophy dummy as everyone saw her, but she deed deeply care for him and she was grateful he pulled her out of poverty, even if this was something he did every decade or so. She looks like a good person. She would have cared for him even if he was old and disabled. She just would.
Uheardme – yeah. That was such a strong movie. I felt really bad for that guy. My friend and I talked about that film for the duration of our doggy walk once (good two hours), thinking what we would do. The dead spouse would certainly want us to move on and be happy, have a life, but sometimes I wonder. For such a stupid tragedy, such a f#cked up crime to rob us of the one soulmate we connect to.. Well, we just force our soul to become chains sometimes. Or gallows. Depends how long we would insist on punishing those left behind.
More +
Flag
At a vast percentage, killers usually have a favored way of killing if they kill more then once, it's the modus operandi, or MO. It also makes it easier to catch and prosecute such a killer because it establishes ipso facto the link between murders. So that the fact that our killer has many and different means of killing makes it more difficult to achieve these aims. The murders may alledgedly be linked, but a good defence lawyer will always cast doubt when different MOs are used. So that answers that question you had.
Of course the professional Mexican cartel will easily accept someone like Ray as their counterpart because he is ignorant and can be disposed of so easily. Take any business, if one of the partners is less than honest, what he wants is a stupid dope to use as a fall guy. This is a no brainer. Also, it gives them a good way to know what Charlotte is up to without using one of their channel of information. If things go wrong, they will disappear and Charlotte will be the one criminally responsible for whatever it the tunnel was used for. Of course, they don't know that Marcos knows, but even that does not really matter.
The presence of Zina as Marco's son's internet correspondent is suspicious as anyone who asks too many questions tend to be. Is it really Zina or a journalist or even the killer and the means of this e-talk looks more like a sleigh of hands. And we have to be more subtle with an episode whose title is ID. Anyways, I don't like it either.
This title implies also the bluring of the lines when it comes to identity. Anyone who has ever used a fake ID knows exactly what I mean. We have the hunch that the killer is somehow linked to the police of either country as he is privvy to information othersize extremely hard to get. Do we already know him?
Ray seems to be the complete asshole, who is he really and maybe Charlotte knows more of him than we are being shown. As a matter of fact, who is Charlotte, really. We know she was a hostess when her husband met her and later married her, but we don't know if she was not involved already in illegal business, in view of how little she reacted when she saw the horse killed and the fact that she might have fucked Marco as a measure of self-protection. I think we should watch again this seemingly innocuous episode and find clues on the meaning of identity.

More+
Flag
Fausto confronts Linder with Hectors body....takes it.......and let's him live???? Some kind of connection there, as Fausto must be aware of Linders activities to help the girls while Fausto continues to need the old Lolita's tunnel for whatever are his veiled purposes.
Flag
We don't know what he did to Linder. For all we know, he may have buried him in the grave he was digging for the other guy.

I think he left him alive and I hope we will find out why next week.
Flag
I agree, Charlotte is trash. I did however, take pause when she was discussing Carl with Ray after the really unsexy dogging scene. Beyond being tasteless, there was a moment when it seemed as if Charlotte did reflect genuine feelings for Carl but she didn't elaborate for Ray, as if she understood that whatever her feelings were, a douche like Ray wasn't going to understand or appreciate the nuances of her marriage.

I wasn't expecting the connection between Hank and Sonya to be so historical. I definitely wasn't expecting Sonya to have visitng priviledges with her sister's killer. That was icky creepy and gut-check sad all at once.
Flag
Charlotte's behavior is a bit trashy, but let's be fair here. Marco cheated on his wife for no other reason than that an attractive woman asked him to. That's worse than anything we've seen Charlotte do. Sonya made the absurd judgement call that the rules about how to work a crime scene are more important than a man's life. That's worse than anything we've seen Marco do.
Flag
Did anyone snicker when Ray was calling his friend in Tampa? Like was he friends with Jules?
Flag
I can't place who Jules is, but I know the friend in Tampa is Patrick Swayze's brother, and it makes me miss him! ;-)
Flag
Follow this Show
Members