A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

I get the feeling that FX wasn't too sure about this one, but the network has gone ahead and ordered a second season of The Bridge anyway. Season 2 will run for another 13 episodes and reclaim the show's status as a summer series in 2014. The renewal comes late in The Bridge's first season, Episode 12 (of 13) airs tomorrow.

Contrast that with how eager FX was back in January with The Americans (which is soooo good, by the way); the suburban spy drama earned a second season only four episodes into Season 1. The two series are relatively even in the ratings department, averaging somewhere above 1.5 million viewers, but the roar from critics for The Americans was much greater than it has been for the unsteady first season of The Bridge. I've been covering The Bridge all season, so perhaps you know my feelings on the show: I absolutely love parts of it. But other parts? Ehhhhhhhhhhh... not so much

I've embraced the silliness of the serial-killer case because I love things that are nutso, but still hope the show can return to what made the early episodes so great: broad commentary on tumultuous border towns and how politics affect the lives of those living in them. And weirdos. Keep the weirdos coming, show. There's a solid core to The Bridge, and if showrunner Meredith Stiehm can polish up some of the edges, we're looking at a series that has the potential to be great. 

But who cares, because I'm just happy we'll have this guy back:

And this guy:

And this guy:

And hopefully this guy:

Don't forget to read my review of tomorrow's episode of The Bridge!

Have you been watching The Bridge Season 1? Are you happy the show's been renewed? 

54 Comments
Comments (54)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Sorry, but this doesn't even remotely compare to the original Swedish series. If you like this you would absolutely love the original. Better characters, way better scripts. Anyway, thats my opinion.
Flag
Love this show! Hated having to wait that agonizing week for the next episode, hated the commercials.....just wanted more and more and more! It is so wonderfully different than anything else on TV to date! The characters are rich, slightly crazy, some down right insane and that is down right refreshing! Living near the border I also love the spotlight being shined on subjects that have so conveniently been swept away from the public's eye for so many years. Can't wait for season 2 and season 3 and on and on.....don't blow this one guys it's going to be huge!!!!!!
Flag
yes I watched the whole season last year and it was great. When is season 2 starting.
Flag
I love this show.. Can't wait for second season!
Flag
I love this show. Each episode gets more and more intense. No characters are safe and could "go" at anytime. Bonus!...any show that has Lyle Lovett on it, I'm there!
Flag
While I don't want to sound opposed to this, the more shows like this FX renews the sadder it makes me remembering they never renewed Terriers.
Flag
i think if Terriers ws part of this new fall season, it not only would be the best pilot of the season, it would also be renewed the second episode in. The world just wasn't ready for it a couple years ago... It totally fits this 'golden era' of television.
Flag
Really really good news.
I admit the serial killer angle has been cheesy but love the characters !!!
Also love the subtle camaraderie between Sonya and Marco.
Flag
I like this show! Period!
Flag
I'm on the fence with this one, sometimes it's a good show, but most of the time it's just too slow. If they cut out all the boring stuff they would have had a great 2 part mini series.
Flag
Great show.
Flag
I like the show as well. I hope it can streamline its story lines and follow shows like Dexter (early seasons) and Boardwalk Empire that introduce a story arc that develops and concludes in a single season. I think the cast and characters have the potential to be something very good.

I was very sorry to hear that The Killing was cancelled. I liked the show very much.
Flag
No. I'll keep watching but the only reason the early episodes were better is because you didn't yet know that all the "clues" are just red herrings. The first two murders have nothing to do with the mystery of season 1, though, I guess it forced the situation of a cop from Juarez and cop from El Paso to team up...
Flag
I really like the show and and I am very happy it was renewed.It is like every other tv show in that it has it's ups and downs.
Flag
I am very pleased that the show gets a second season. Hope that Marco' s character has a chance for personal growth, so he can be conflicted rather than the jerk he has become.
I liked him a lot in the beginning, but he has gone downhill. Sonya is my favorite, but with the exception of David Tate/Kenneth Hastings, I like all the characters. Writing on the show needs work.
Flag
Even though I just can't connect with Sonya, I've still enjoyed the show and I'm glad they got a second season. Good move FX.
Flag
Oh, LOL at you Tim.

Do we really need more 'naked techno guy'? :D
Flag
Eye-rolling moments aside, I have enjoyed this show and I'm glad it's coming back. FX, PLEASE, enough of the kidnapping thankyouverymuch.
Flag
For me the most interesting things about the show is the way that the US audience received it.
Somewhere in either the episode 1 or episode 2 review thread I voiced a concern that the fact the early stages of the story appeared to espouse what americans call a 'liberal' pov may turn off viewers.
In fact the pretense Tate made of being a campaigner for poor, indigenous americans appealed to many viewers who mistakenly believed the show was going to put a spotlight on the injustices inherent in a society dominated by corporate capitalism.

People who stick with the show in the hope that season 2 will confront social division created by a man-made construct (the bridge) are likely to be disappointed again.
The show will continue to show us the huge differences in standard of living between North & South but as much as I dislike that reality's existence, "The Bridge" dwelling on it would make the show unwatchable because the greatest strength this show has is the warts n all objectivity that is used to tell us the story.
If the bridge got bogged down in delivering a message that objectivity would go & be replaced by the same sort of black Vs white bulldust that makes network TV predictable.

Marco's philandering has turned off some in the audience but if you think about it, the fact that both protagonists (Marco & Sonya) aren't the perfection personified that is usually demanded of the TV cops who are meant to be heroes, is what makes this show.
Marco can catch the murderer & not find redemption, or he can lose his family yet defeat the bad guy.
Charlotte can keep dragging home rough trade & still be the only player with the scruples to stop the gun running, sure she may not do that, but it is the existence of these possibilities that gives the show its edge.
Usually when a TV show flirts with that sort of alternative ,deep down we know that it won't happen. That isn't the case with "The Bridge".

More+
Flag
love it. that guy in the first pic would make a great vampire :)
Flag
I haven't been catching your reviews. I've felt the last few episodes were pretty terrible after pretty thoroughly enjoying the earlier truly suspensful episodes. kidnapping and such is just so played out though I wont complain about the alma(?) screen time. the cast of weirdos is absolutely my favorite part. also 'the americans' is boring as hell.
Flag
Yes, thank you, I also think The Americans is a great cure for insomnia. I was out after three episodes.
Flag
It got better eventually, mostly because Marco the asshole gets what he deserves. :) I do hope season 2 will be better though. The characters are not likable, that's the main issue with this series as far as I'm concerned.
Flag
Now I am not really sure how or what they are going to come up with. But I like the characters enough to watch a season 2. It will largely depend on the next two episodes.
Flag
I myself am ecstatic. I can't wait to see it tomorow and run its course next summer.
Flag
Surprised that The Americans and The Bridge are logging similar ratings, seeing as how the Americans is a much better show! Having said that, I'm watching the Bridge and am on the fence with it, there are things I like such as Sonya's transformation from completely wooden to a person with a personality, Linder's character, some of the hot Latinas and a few promising side stories still in play.
Not sure how they carry the series though and thought the way the big bad played out here was pretty underwhelming as has Marco's character been of late. I'll be watching tomorrow and next week, see if they can finish with a bang and reel me in for S2.
Flag
Sky in the UK are doing their own adaptation and calling it 'The Tunnel'..I don't know what it will be like but you can guarantee there will be no Linder character and NO sock guy. I for one like this show for the fact its bat shit crazy
Flag
I like to think all of these adaptations are secretly based off the of the Canadian film Bon Cop/Bad Cop, which to the best of my knowledge is the first film with a cross-borders cut-up corpse.
Flag
Yeah, it seems like this idea is becoming so popular that they should make a franchise out of it and spread it all over the world. I'm waiting for a South Korea-North Korea version. But the Brits were very clear on that their version done together with the French is an adaptation, not a remake. And both the Brits and the French have a long tradition of making quality crime dramas, so I trust the show will be at least decent.
Flag
i was thinking earlier that it was a bit ridiculous, but if you pair nations two by two, their relationships are somehow different and can give for a very different show with a similar premise. So it can be cool. I wonder if in my home country (Spain) they should also study to make an adaptation with Morocco-Spain policemen... oh my, probably nobody would be interested anywhere else, but could be something entirely new in here.
Flag
seriously...!? I hope they don't copy the crimes neither! So there will be a French detective and a Brittish detective?
Flag
The US version might not be living up its initial promise but it still feels like SOMETHING is there, so I'm glad to hear they're getting another chance.

I hope they shore up the writing staff a bit, though. It feels like they have the right actors and crew, but could tighten up the writing some.
Flag
for sure @ all.
Flag
I'm sorry but the American/Mexican version doesn't come close to the Swedish/Danish original, and I'm just not saying that cause I'm Swedish. I usually hate anything 'homemade' in media but Bron season one was awesome from start to finish. The Bridge started out good but got lost on the way unfortunately. The 2nd season of Bron just started over here and the plot has great potential and the cast is as awesome as S1. I hope The Bridge can do something better with S2.
Flag
I personally hope that the American version goes its own way in season 2, because I don't like it when there is an "original" version shading the show I'm watching. Is the original in English or Danish?
Flag
I'm inclined to agree but then there are instances like shameless US where it's quality fell of dramatically after season 1 IMO.
Flag
I agree on shameless US - season 1 was fabulous, but the second one... what a pitty. But look at The Killing. It became so much better when it left the original behind (season 3).
Flag
It’s in Swedish and Danish.
Flag
oh of course :) I have been in Malmö/Copenhague, so I guess that's where it happens! I'll see if there is a version somewhere with English subtitles. I'm actually happy with the American version because I can understand both languages, and actors are speaking their own laguage. But there are these gaps where the mexicans say a sentence in English and the next in Spanish when talking to their family members and that doesn't feel very realistic - I wish they could take that down entirely. There is no need and it takes out some value from the show.
Flag
ugg... just checked it out, it is expensive! but at least it exists so probably can find it around :)
Flag
I bought the Swedish/Danish version from Amazon.co.uk about 6 months ago. So, I can vouch for the existence of an English subtitled version. :-)
Flag
Yes it does take place in Malmö/København. It was broadcasted by the BBC in the UK so it shouldn’t be hard to find a subtitled version ... I was also bugged by those sudden language switches—really stupid decision by the show-runners.

I guess the original was a bit unrealistic too in how all the Danes and Swedes had no trouble at all understanding each other, though. Of course the languages are closely related but they’re not fully mutually intelligible unless you’ve been exposed to the other language a lot.
Flag
yeah! since they killed "The Killing", at least there is this. I have mixed feelings too, but I'm happy to know that the show will live enough for me to get answers...
Flag
Unfortunately, I've gone from really psyched about this show to really disappointed. The length of the last two episodes proves they are just running on fumes (WITH the previously on, between 36-38 min. Seriously?) I was eager for the politics, and the slow-burning character study (specifically of Sonya and her unique perspective), and the cross-borders buddy cop aspect... Instead we get a 6-hour episode of Criminal Minds. I heard that they are done with adapting from the original now, and hopefully that means they will go back in the direction that they set off on.

And yes, definitely needs more sock guy.
Flag
yeah that run time deal tripped me out, I saw it and though I had to be missing 5 minutes somewhere.
Flag
Me too, they totally could have given us some Linder time in there!

Also all season I've found it weird how they went to the effort of bringing back Sonya's "fling" for the end of one ep and never followed it up with anything. What was the point of that? To show she doesn't call guys back?
Flag
That dick-in-a-sock guy better be the main villain in season two.
Flag
or he provides the music for season 2
Flag
Already gave up on this... Just couldnt get into it after about 7 eps
Flag
Follow this Show
Members
  • 8:30 pm
    Judge Judy
    NEW
    CBS
  • 9:00 pm