A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

The Bridge S01E03: "Rio"

Help! I can't decide if I like The Bridge or not! I mean, is this a great show? Is it even a good show? Is it somewhere in between? We're only three episodes in, but I've already changed my opinion on The Bridge probably a thousand times. One minute I'll be leaning in toward my television, nose practically pressed against the screen. A few scenes later, I'm counting ceiling tiles.

I didn't invade my TV's personal space much while watching this week's episode "Rio," a rather uneventful and at times perplexing hour of television, but I did squeeze in some decent tile-counting. The Bridge is in absolutely no hurry to tell its story, but past episodes have found ways to keep things interesting: the broad big-picture view of "Calaca," told from the perspective of a group of illegal immigrants; and the settling into this world of the pilot. But "Rio" was much more of a straightforward cop case, transforming The Bridge's identity once again. 

And I think that's a problem I'm having with the show. I understand The Bridge wants to be Traffic and The Wire (and that's okay) and have a wacky lady at its center like Homeland does, but it needs a sense of its own individuality. I'm still waiting for it to show me something more original than just its awesome setting on the Texas-Mexico border. I want this show to slap me in the face. I want The Bridge to be able to take place anywhere in the world and have it be just as good because of a unique tone or interesting characters, but so far, the main attraction of The Bridge is its location. And if you take that away, The Bridge is a pretty good police thriller. But there's so much television out there that pretty good just doesn't stand out anymore.

This week, Sonya and Marco sorted through the pile of dead bodies (Hey, it's Ricin again! This kind was the fast-acting version as opposed to Walter White's 48-hour poison) from "Calaca" and noticed that one was missing. From there, the two eventually (and probably errantly) interrogated creepy Steven Linder, suspecting he had the missing girl and that he's been slicing people in half and leaving them on the border after someone was strangled in his apartment building. It's easy to see why they think he's the killer, I mean, those mutton chops, right? But while he's definitely up to some strange stuff, are we even considering him as a suspect still? Isn't he just a freaky guy who likes to wash his feet in a bucket, massage his scars, and occasionally stuff a Mexican woman in his trunk and drag her into America?

Depending on your levels of suspicion of Linder, the interrogation was either riveting or another pitfall of the television murder mystery: we're not solving this case three episodes into the first season. But it did finally tie in Linder to Sonya and Marco. And even if Linder isn't the killer, and I'm almost certain he's not because he's not nearly smart enough, seeing him sweat under Marco's bad-cop routine was interesting because he's such a weirdo character. And because The Bridge sets out to show how the border and both sides of the law affect all the people around it, I don't know if he's quite as red as other red herrings (The Killing comes to mind). But he, and the whole situation, still smells fishy.

Also being welcomed into the fold was Charlotte Millright, the widow whose rich hubby croaked and left her with a mansion-ranch and all his old business partnerships. And I'm going to throw it all out there and be blunt: I did not like how she connected to Marco (and Sonya). At first, it made sense. The killer told Daniel Frye that he wanted a million bucks for the missing girl, the responsibility of which was divided among four wealthy El Paso businessmen. And one of those businessmen? Carl Millright, Charlotte's dead piggy bank. That's a pretty decent way to bring Charlotte into the main narrative, but it was what happened next that threw me.

Marco went to Charlotte's to get a signature saying she never gave money to Marco back in the pilot when he let her ambulance pass, and then suddenly she's wrapping her legs around him and tasting what he had for dinner. I get that recent widows can be in a weird emotional place after their husbands pass, but did this feel like it came out of nowhere for anyone else? And how disappointing was it to see Marco accept the kiss and, based on Charlotte's nightie, take Charlotte all the way to the finish line? Especially after all his talk about his wife and the fact that she's pregnant. I guess we don't know this guy as well as we thought we did. Maybe we're supposed to be shocked by it. Maybe this is to establish his infidelity so that he and Sonya can have sex and then look at body parts on her iPad. But given the fact that Marco and Charlotte met each other before and showed very little signs of attraction to each other, their boinking confused the hell out of me and made me like both characters a lot less. Does he really need to test the limits of that botched vasectomy again already?

Meanwhile, our killer was busier than anyone else and was the mysterious man who picked up the missing girl from the side of the road at the end of "Calaca." Missing girl, you probably should have chugged the Ricinade like your buddies, because it's a lot better than being tied up in the Texas desert on Web cam for everyone to see. And good lord is this killer a tech genius or what? First he can shut off the power at the border on his cue, and now he can set up a Web cam in the middle of the desert? I assume that the newspaper's Web site claim of "Live Video" meant that he's streaming video of her cooking under the sun, right? I could barely get a Wi-Fi signal in San Diego last week. If I were the police, I wouldn't be chasing weird guys like Linder, I'd be questioning Radio Shack employees.

"Rio" succeeded in bridging (hee hee) the loose storylines with the main story by putting Linder and Charlotte face-to-face and tongue-to-nether-regions with Sonya and Marco. I don't know if it was what I'd call smooth, though. And after equating the show to The Wire last week and enjoying the separation and the way it showed us the big picture, I don't know if it was even necessary to tie them together.

The Bridge is still finding its footing three episode into its first season, but it's going to have to make some big footprints pretty soon. "Rio" was probably the weakest of the episodes so far. As a look at a fascinating area of the globe, it works. As a hunt for a serial killer, it merely does the job.

THE BORDER BETWEEN THE STORY AND THE NOTES

– Would a newspaper Web site actually show footage of a woman tied up in the desert to die? Isn't there some sort of policy against that? 

– I'm really liking Matthew Lillard as Daniel Frye. And that guy has some cojones doing bumps of fun powder in a police station. 

– I don't think the Juarez Tourism Board is a fan of this show. That shooting in broad daylight was something else. And then Adriana ran home to file a story on it. But did she talk to anyone at the scene or just leave? What was the story? "Man gets shot"? 

– The advanced screener I saw actually used the music from Traffic, did the broadcast version? I can't help but think the show wants to mimic Traffic and The Wire instead of being its own show. And adding Traffic music doesn't alleviate that.

– The most interesting story right now has to be Carl Millright's past business partners, the big one of whom we met in that Hispanic woman. And she knew how to send a message by killing that poor horsie. Godfather-esque. I guess Charlotte is sort of like Catherine Zeta Jones' character from Traffic, with the dead husband and unfinished business, but dealing with human trafficking instead of drugs?

– What did everyone think about Sonya's bed romp showing up at her work to ask for her number? That seemed a bit odd. Not only did she treat the guy like a piece of meat, but she's a cop. I know she's a hottie, but would you want to walk into a police station to get the number of a woman with a social handicap who looked at pictures of a corpse when you should have been snuggling? Red flags galore!

137 Comments
Comments (137)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm behind on this show but I'm trying to catch up. This review was fantastic, it perfectly captured the ambivalence I have about this show at the moment. It's so rare for a review to express ambivalence or confusion instead of a strong view one way or the other. I like both of the lead detectives and some of the other characters but the material's not at the level of the characters at the moment. I expect it'll get better.
Flag
So I just watched all three not in a row but since yesterday and I don't know. The last two series I did this for were the Americans which I loved and Orphan Black which first three eps were a little I don't know (I have decided I am blaming Beth and I am dreading an episode of her even if it would provide a lot of answers) but holy crap I bought the series. This one I am so getting the Killing vibe. I mean I even had the thought that it didn't promise a solution by the end of this run. I guess I will keep watching. Now I am going to do the same thing to Camp so my dvr stops yelling at me.
Flag
Without condoning his adultery, I suspect that there's more going on with his marriage than we've yet seen. Certainly, Ruiz's decision to get a vasectomy could easily just be that he can't afford another child, but it may also reflect on his reluctance to further bind himself to his wife, who seems nice enough but distant and suspicious (though, admittedly, she may have had previous cause to be). Their problems are rooted in something else, and I'm reluctant to pass too much judgment until they've been further elaborated.

Charlotte is considerably easier to understand. After being told by her husband, whom she legitimately seemed to care for whether her relationship was initially motivated by money or not, that he doesn't love just her before he dies and then being rejected by her step-daughter and her Texan "friends", she's extremely vulnerable and in need of both comfort and physical validation.
Flag
Great show and three great episodes so far...i have no idea where all the negativity is coming from. I look forward to this show every week and find myself taken away by it more and more...
Flag
Marco's hookup was a very random wtf moment. I guess they wanna show us he's not all that he appears to be, but it could've been written better.
Flag
The major difference between the settings is that the original had more subtle differences between the two countries and their languages and cultures. It had more quirkiness to it, like Martin Rohde getting peeved at the Swedes for continually mispronouncing his surname and getting them to repeat him. Whereas the Mexican v. American setting has racism, deep mistrusts from either side and all the criminality inside and out of the law. Overall, they are hugely different settings.
But people are somewhat unfairly criticising the original as if it 'boringly' stayed on the bridge throughout. Instead it ventured out in the cities and lands on both sides in some very well thought out dramatic scenes.
The possible danger for the US outing is that viewers may get tired of being constantly beaten over the head by the, so far, seemingly polar divides.
Personally I'll wait until the end of the US version to see if I found one better overall than the other or simply different - hopefully the latter.
Flag
That was good episode. But still US remake didn't find its own voice yet. For now Bridge is apt pupil that follows mentor's steps. There was no tunnel thing in original so it is interesting distinction. And I've noticed that Diane Kruger played Sonja in this episode in more emotional way - there were more reactions on her face than usual (it's like she've read TV.com complainers and changed her "robotic" approach, but I doubt she even knows what is TV.com). Somehow she looked suprised in certain scenes in more "normal" way than autistic way. It felt like she broke her coolness a bit more than it's needed. But that's nitpicking. And I don't understand people who think that her work in police is implausible. If she can hook up in bar (and can tell men's smiles) then she can do police work, thats for sure. And also complains about Marco's sudden cheating are absurd. It is 3d episode and people already consider Marco a saint? How can he be out of character if we know him for 2 episodes only? We don't know the guy yet, and make such rash assumptions is ridiculous.
Flag
I think she chose the guy in the bar because she simply fancied him and thought he'll likely suit her purpose, as much as she noted he appeared to engage her.
The trouble for Kruger is whether people believe she is portraying an appropriate lack of emotion or understanding of other's in any given situation. And that's a very fine line to walk. However, it's not impossible for viewers to warm to apparently 'cold' or 'wooden' characters - at extremes one could cite Hoffman in Rain Man or Data in TNG -, perhaps time will tell.
Yes, the tunnel addition is interesting. However, as of yet, I especially like the mutton chops character being a weirdo killer and care home worker, whereas, the original was a quite stable social worker type chap looking for/after his sister.
Flag
Yeah, mutton chops is even more weird than original social worker but may be he's not the killer? He's not that smart.
About Kruger's perfomance - in one scene when Marco was trying to unlock the door, Sonja almost screamed at him to not touch the door. It's kinda weird. I think Sonja from 2 episode would just say it to Marco with robotic (or neutral) voice. I guess Kruger was experimenting) And I think she chose guy in a bar because he smiled at her. She interpreted it as signal. I doubt she particularily fancied him.
Flag
I think mutton chops is a misdirect, in that he is a killer but not the main big bad.
Sonja just fancied an orgasm from another!
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
When I saw the hanged horse, I thought about the Godfather too.
Flag
So, officer robotic bitch reported her workmate for not following the cold rules after all. How did she survive in the force for so long without basic understanding human interaction like that?

The way she dealt with her lover was funny. She sounded like Commander Data processing information ("I can't have sex at work..."). But since she so easily gave her number, we see she is not deceiving the guy, and on the contrary, is way too transparent. I'd like to see that relationship develop to understand Sonya better. I'm starting to like her better now.

Officer Marco, what a disappointment. However, I think his cheating his wife was a bit out of character. He seems happily married, she had just had a visit from his family, and come on, the ranch window didn't even have to try very hard to seduce him and it was like he was just looking for an excuse to cheat on his wife. But the developments here are interesting because if he began by asking her for a signature to prove she hadn't offered him money, what are his bosses going to say when they find out she did offer him sex, and he accepted? Especially considering the shady business she's involved with, I'd say he'll be in trouble soon and then perhaps Sonya will learn to look the other way.

Daniel Frye is a real jerk. he goes into people's homes and start by asking for tequila. And he didn't behave like he was with people from another culture, another country. He was just the rich guy among the poor, and surprised his workmate could have had such poor origins. He really needs a lesson.
More+
Flag
Oh, and speaking of surviving in the force and understanding people, it was amazing how Sonya interviewed the creep from the trailer, and in the end just said blankly, "I believe him," when the guy couldn't be shadier and creepier.
Flag
I think Charlote really needs someone to talk to after the awful thing her husband said to her on her deathbed. She is clearly rejected by her stepdaughter and her husband's social circle, also, she inherited some illegal crazy shit and is being intimidated about it. I saw some chemistry between her and Marcos and I wasn't really surprised she made a move on him... but his actions really disappointed me. Maybe the show is trying to make him a more human character, show us he has some flaws, since so far Sonya is being the freak and he is being sort of a mentor, the good, sensible man... I don't know. Maybe he IS a corrupt cop after all. Or he did that to get the widow to his good side, so he can count on her... IDK, just some thoughts about the issue.
Flag
I think it is on his part an uncomplicated desire to know that he still has it with women after having been recently sniped. Some men need the validation of their being through sex and that was an opportunity and he took it.
Flag
A sweet way of putting adultery! I think he just wanted an escape in time. Well, that and he's a bit of a dog on the Q.T.
Oh and I'd imagine his wife may be doing some 'sniping'!!
Flag
Isn't it? :-)
what surprised me more are two things: a) that none of them were aware that the horse was being killed while they were adultering and b) that she did not mention the tunnel to him since they were all buddy buddy by that time.
Flag
True dat.
I'd imagine the widow is playing on cementing his ties to her, so to speak, so she can rely on being able to use him.
What struck me about the horsey murder was how little she reacted, compared to the tunnel etc.
Flag
Flag
Perhaps the husband was setting her free in case things went tits up for him - as they did.
Marco had the chance of comfort without the ties of children and married life and he took it. What? He's mortal after all! The widow was already on his good side. Now she's on more of them. And as she's being pressured by the none too subtle tunnel partner, you'd have to think she needs him far more.
Flag
But some people thought Marco was a saint family man or something. How could they be so sure after 2 episodes I have no idea.
Flag
Yeah. The clues were there either way, as he was nice but especially to the ladies with kindness, cakes and flowers and charm. Sonja's apparent coldness is going to make lots of people seem nice in contrast.
Flag
good point)
Flag
Every great procedural must have an action to a reaction to clues and especially misleading leads and red herrings.Establishing these basic actions in the context that very few people know about but from hearsay and news items that cover but a narrow spectrum of the truth of a geopolitical situation takes time.I personally know that there are cartels on that border and the ensuing relationships with the local police it can take, but I don't know to what extent the corruption is that much of a foundation. Since this type of series has no coincidences, then the fact that Marco will have an affair with the widow has to mean that this disruption will have a reaction to his marriage and some effect on the investigation.the fact that Marco's wife got pregnant right before he had the snip will have also a reaction down the line. However, I know, more surely that all the information given to me now will be disrupted, that my vision and opinion of such and such a character will be false at some point or completely reversed altogether. This is what a great procedural promises me and in view of the success of the original and the current fascination with Scandinavian thrillers,I cangive this a chance to procede.
More+
Flag
- I don't know if websites are allowed to do that, but then i can't see legal grounds to not put it, unless the police asked them to remove it, and i am sure that no news site in the world would miss the chance to provide live feed to someone dying, it's just gonna give them more and more traffic so why not?
- Matthew Lillard as Daniel Frye is perfect, thank god they didn't kill him in the pilot
- I don't think that there is Juarez Tourism Board, they were all killed probably
according to wikipedia, some people in Juarez requsted the UN help, so shooting someone in broad daylight in Juarez isn't far from truth at all(Alot of people die in Juarez, and i mean lots and lots of people get killed on everyday bases)
- I don't know "Traffic"!
- As soon as Charlotte walked toward the barn i knew that some horse got killed :(
- Well, i don't know, we don't know what the "experience" was for him, it might be totally "worth it"

I wasn't surprised when Charlotte tried to get it on with Marco, but i was totally surprised when he went along with it, i thought he was a "family man", but then again we may find out that he was a womanizer all along
I agree that the previous episodes was better, but even though, this episode was really good, it might be a little slow, but every show have one or two slow episodes, if a show stays the same in all of it episodes people will get bored
I am watching The Wire now, so i can totally see how The Bridge and The Wire are alike, but still The Bridge have a different angle, and a lot of The Wire episodes were kind of slow and great at the same time, so i don't think that "slow" is always bad, sometimes slow is good
The killer is getting me scratch my head in every episode, he is changing his MO weirdly, and it was nice seeing the show stating the same thing(Hank saying the same thing), because that means that it is intentional, not stupid writing
I don't think Linder is the killer, but i am sure he is up to something(Where did the women in his trailer go to??)
Seeing Marco and Sonya working together was also really great
Did anyone else get a weird vibe from Marco's son, i think the show have some story in the shops for him, him gazing weirdly at Sonya have to mean something i think

I am really positive about the show, i think that it might be the best show of the summer
More+
Flag
I think though that they messed up with webcam in a desert. It is very problematic to pull off. And why in desert? some people can see her or some private jet can fly over. Better put her in abandoned warehouse where wi-fi is decent)
Flag
I really like this show. I think it is intelligently done and though I may be reading way to much into the subtext, but I think it is smart. I don't think The Wire is what we need to compare this too. I really think it is more Seven then anything.

That being said, like the past two episodes there has been an overall theme related somehow to the title of the episode. Rio, spanish for river. Likely referring to the Rio Grande also know as Rio Bravo del Norte etc. It is one of the most recognizable natural boundaries in the world or at least North America. And this episode was all about boundaries. The obvious one in the border. New ones in the FBI Agent telling Sonya that she was not allowed to do something. Marco's wife coming to work. The reporters heading across into Juarez, the Reporters pushing the boundary of their working relationship. The man Sonya slept with violating her place of work. Marco violating the boundary of his wedding. And the killer pushing the boundaries of peoples natural apathy, especially rich people.

Likely the killer at some point and time has worked for some if not all of these families. He knows who they are, he knows their net worth. And he likely knows how all of their secrets. I wouldn't be surprised if he did know about the tunnel under Charlotte's ranch, all of it. This man has been planning this for years. It is safe to say he knows about all of the players. At least the local ones.

The washing of the feet by Steven is interesting. Usually washing of feet or anything has a religious aspect to it, it has to do with the washing away of sins. Now Steven might be a serial killer, but I still am getting a lackey/ emissary vibe from him. I think he sets up things for the Killer and does not want to do it. I liked the interview of him with Marco and Sonya and the two obvious way they go about Law Enforcement. And also the boundary being set that Sonya is in fact in charge. I also liked the way they showed her detail oriented disorder in how she could tell that he wasn't lying. It was almost Pscyh'esque in a way, in the manner they zoomed into his brow to see if he was sweating etc. It was great. And The interview and Sonya finding the bead and the position where the killer observed the deaths of the immigrants.

I like the connection of Charlotte to the killer and to Marco and Sonya. And bringing her back into the story. Charlotte is connected now to the case she always was, the tunnel connecting to Juarez literally connects her to the case. I like the connection with Marco. Marco is a great guy, but this kind of shows that no one can escape dirt down there and I like that. Granted it doesn't seem to be part of who we know him as. But we have to remember that we really don't know him yet. He might be the cleanest detective in Juarez, but that is a pretty low scale. The actual sex didn't throw me. Death, from last episode has odd effects on people. Some people grieving process is to have sex with random people.

The woman immigrant is interesting, I think going along with the theme of the episode it was a test of the killer's boundary. I don't think he intended to riff her death. So to stake her out in the middle of the desert is unlike him. But it is interesting that it is being broadcast online. And it will be interesting to see if Sonya and Marcos can get to her in time. But my guess it isn't completely out of his plans. He might not have set it up the way he wanted to, but he had the broadcast equipment ready for someone else.

I don't think Sonya and Marcos are going to get together. I think Sonya keeps that separated hence the guy she slept with getting told that this isn't cool. Which brings me to that guy. The actor, I recognize him from a few things. So that might give a hint to the viewer that there is more to him than meets the eye. Perhaps, just perhaps he could be the killer, the one time seeing him thing, means nothing. Just Sonya looking for her version of intimacy. But to show up the way he did is suspicious. Some Serial Killers try to imbed themselves within the investigation, they become a witness, or pretend to know a victim but they want to see what the police are doing. So him actually coming into the the PD and not waiting for her outside makes me wonder about him. It would be cool to see how Sonya deals with that if he is in fact the killer.

The only gripes I have about the show thus far is the isolation of it. Sarin is a WMD which means that is FBI and Homeland Security. The kidnapping, though it is of an illegal immigrant technically makes the case the FBI's, not to mention the Serial Killer aspect of it, which means given the other aspects of the case the Behavioral Science Unit. (like criminal minds). All of this means that Sonya and Marcos wouldn't be the lead. And the fact that they are and there aren't really others lead the comparison between this and Traffic, specious. Also the media aspect of this. This would be a huge case, a huge story, the lack of national media isn't very realistic. I understand why they are keeping it small but they should put a reason to it. This man is looking for publicity, webcasting a murder on a podunk town paper's website isn't going to garner the attention that he wants to his cause. It is just a little slip. But I still like the show.

I also have to wonder about what the conclusion to this season will be. Now it shouldn't be them arresting the killer. That would be an odd end and the killer is too smart to be caught so soon. So that might bring up aspects similar to The Killing season 1. Which was horrible. I like this show way better than The Killing. But they are going to have to come up with a pretty freaking good conclusion to the season. Even if it is just a lead in to next season.

Notes;

Yes, Yes they would. Nothing is safe of sanctified by the media anymore. They would show it. And people would be taking bets as to how fast she dies. And what would get her first exposure, heat related death ([presuming this is the summer), or animals.

I have never been able to stand Mathew Lillard, he places the same guy in everything. Which is usually a derivative of his character in SLC Punk.

Yea that actually happens in Juarez. And she got away fast because cops there just tend to put whomever is near by in prison for the crime. She likely ran just to run and stay out of prison. But then wrote a story on it as just another random act of violence in the city.

The old lady made a comment about how strong the horse was. She wasn't specifically speaking of the horse. She was speaking of Charlotte. She kills the horse to show her that despite her strength, there are people stronger, with more resources and are willing to do anything to get what they want. Work with us despite your strength or we string you up like the horse. I am more interested into how she heard it.

I think he might be the killer, or another emissary of the killer. However there is an innocent aspect of it. Some guys have odd reactions to women that treat them like some guys treat girls. I had a two students this past year, one an unbelievably sexually confident girl that did basically the same thing to one of my students and he didn't know how to react and kind of stalked her a bit. I just don't think that is congruent with the story. This is a tight story, it is slow and it is methodical, no screen time is wasted. If he is there, he is there for a reason.

I just really like this show.

More+
Flag
An additional connection between the ep title and the ep's content - the horse that was killed was named 'Rio' and was apparently well-known amongst horse enthusiasts. Figuratively speaking, they killed the river.
Flag
well said!

How did the immigrant woman know the water was "bad"? It seemed like she looked at the statue and noticed something "wrong"....
Flag
I think they use old skulls to make this kind of statue and the skull on this one looked more recent??????????
Flag
Pity they didn't have Ms Seeley Booth-Bones with them.
Flag
Nobody helps Mexi' crossers. The statue for the dead gave her the tip off.
Flag
Well she didn't. She had a hunch. The statue is either used for immigrants to guide them to a trail or used by smugglers. But I think she realized that no one would just leave water for them. She could have deduced it. She seemed like the smart one of the group heading across the border. Drug Smugglers tend to operate at night and there was no other footprints to indicate it was for another group of immigrants. Nor was there any instructions left with the water. Which leads me to think that she might not die, she might be able to figure a way out.

It could be that, or she is just superstitious.
Flag
Er, you've basically disagreed then agreed in other words. Except that it is a statue for the dead/lost souls and the killer clearly set them up to draw them to it and the spiked water. It wasn't a regular land spot for crossers/smugglers - they expected to be driven in further - and would've been pointless in the dark to find. Plus, as the police noted, that groups trails/footprints were the only ones around the area and so not a regular smuggler travel point.
The one that guided them had, supposedly, some smarts but still directed them away from any more normal crossing points. And ultimately, after being nearly killed by an unknown source, crawled into the road at the first car. Unlucky or a bit dim. You decide.
Flag
Yes but the overriding thing is that the main big bad IS orchestrating these elaborate crimes down to fine details - like a sort of Moriarty. First the bridge, then the reporter's car and now the illegal immigrants. Remember that the crosser's journey was cut short by the trucker and so it forced them on foot. One can only assume he planned out the easiest and expected route for the crossers and planted the statue etc. An old statue would be easy enough to plant and look authentic by sheer setting and thirsty people aren't likely to get all carbon dating about it.
Of course desperation leads to impulsive acts and that again is what the killer creates and depends on.
I think the bigger debate is how he planned on one survivng for his video game next?
Flag
Well it could have been a smuggler route. I doubt the statue was put there by the killer, it looked like it was was there for some time.

As for the girl with the smarts. Getting caught. Severe dehydration is worse for you mental faculties than being really really inebriated. It wasn't luck, the killer watched her not drink and likely watched her make her way to the road and picked her up. She likely was unable to put up much of a fight or realize it was whomever left the poisoned water. Now an argument could be made that she wasn't bright enough to realize someone was watching her. But that is a whole other argument.
Flag
"I can't have sex at work" That was one of the best line I heard all month.
Flag
This episode had several memorable lines. I liked how Daniel instructed Adriana to "Say some shit in Spanish" when they went to interview that couple about the missing girl. But my favorite was "Hey, can you guys stop throwing your pussies at my coworker?".
Flag
The Swedish version is really boring. It's set on the bridge between Denmark and Sweden, which is s uneventful as it gets. The area is part of the Schengen agreement, a sort of a free zone which allows for (almost) passport free travelling through Europe. For me, the entire show is exciting because of the tension between the US and Mexico.
Flag
Well, I just find Bron incredibly boring and haven't decided about The Bridge.
Flag
I totally disagree as well.Bron is fascinating, and the Bridge is more than a Schengen go between; but a revelation of the differences between two cultures. People tend to believe that all the Scandinavian countries are alike, but they are not, even if great similarities distance them from the rest of Europe and the world.
The differences and geoplotics between Mexico and the USA are even more divided, but in both cases, and this is crucial, the seeking of the truth that a criminal investigation with somewhat political backgrounds hinderances are the same everywhere and demand the same dedication.
The point of this series and its original is that whether we are dealing with the Big Picture of the differences between States, culture and the normality of social interaction that makes us human beings depicted by an highly functiong autist and a normal human being; it is the same effort being the drive towards transcendence that is Humanity, especially as it faces the inhuman that is the crime and the criminal.
Flag
I disagree. Though I think setting is wonderful (and stereotypical a bit) in US version but chemistry between danish and swedish actors was more fun to watch and was more organic (though I think US actors are doing their best but they still are behind original chemistry for now). With Mexican-american setting it is too difficult to travel back and forth (like between Sweden and Denmark - is just one bridge with no control) for characters. I dont't understand how Marco's wife can travel to El Paso so casually? Where's border tension? Or does she work in US? I thought they live in Mexico. That was weird.
Flag
From what i know, a lot of people in Juarez go almost every day to El Paso, some go to school there(in the show i think Marco's son goes to school in El Paso), so it's not dificult to travel, it's just dangerous to travel to Juarez because of all of the murders
Flag
Due to recent rise in violence in Juarez I doubt that El Paso allows Juarez residents to cross so easily border posts back and forth.
Flag
Flag
Flag
Ok, I hate it when shows pull a godfather... did the horse had to die? ... well yes cause bimbo widow couldn't face the facts: "you don't mess wih people who leaves you cacerolas with money inside... you just don't" And I had to say it also... Marco´s wife was right with not trusting her husband... he saw a chance and took it faster that you can say "my beautiful horse died and now i am sleeping with a man who comes in the middle of the night just cause he needs a paper signed... right"
Well Marco lost brownie points but Sonya´s one night-stand just gained a few cause either he is nuts (my personal choice) or he has is some kind of romantic guy. Either way he pulled a weird grand gesture by coming to the police station and ask for her number and didn't get shot down yay for him.
And yeah I am really admiring the killer of the show. He is some resourceful dude cause he gets wifi in the middle of the desert (come on that's like magic)... and he is some sadistic one too cause death by insolation and dehydration is just shitty.
And I like Sonya cause she is weird and has managed to not get fired... yeah I know she has some connections with her boss but still with her people skills she shouldn´t be in a job that implies telling people "your loved one died" with a really non-expressive face and inmeditaly ask about affairs.
So I'll continue watching the show cause Sonya is weird, her one night stand might be, the killer is a freaking computer wizard ah! and that reporter (the glasses wearing one) might get in some serious trouble.
More+
Flag
I know reviews are very subjective but you're contradicting yourself a little, Tim. Last week you said you liked how the setting makes The Bridge stand out from other shows, this week you say location shouldn't be made such a big factor. It's just something I noticed.
I liked this week's episode. Not as much as last week's but it did a whole lot to develop characters. I was a little weirded out by Marco and Charlotte, but it's happening in episode 3, so I guess there must be a good reason to throw this at us so suddenly.
Flag
they said it was sarin in the water and not ricin
Flag
well.. the answer to the question number one is yes, many of the juarez web newspaper do show raw images from murders or accidents
Flag
Granted, the pacing was slow but we were still getting to know the characters. And I felt this episode did a pretty good job of fleshing out the cast we have been introduced in the first 2 episodes to the point I can almost remember something about each one. Now if I can only get the names straight, currently this is how I recall this show's actors: Mexican Cop: Marco; El Paso Cop: Sonya; Widow: Charlotte; Charlotte's handy-man: Cesar; Drugged and drunken reporter: Frye; Sonya's boss: That guy from Silence of the Lambs; Sonya's one-night stand that has now shown up at her work: Sonya's one-night stand that has now shown up at her work; Whitey-tighty guy: Muttonchops. Maybe next week I'll at least expand my list by one more. As far as Sonya goes, I was uncomfortable w/ this character at first but now I can't wait to see how awkward her next reaction will be concerning human interaction. And what the hell is in her bottom drawer?
Flag
Well, this show is way better than Ray Donovan at least.
Flag
Yea that wouldn't take a lot. It is mind boggling that Ray Donovan is that bad. It has a lot of talent in it and it is being wasted with BS family drama.
Flag
I can't stand most of the characters (especially epileptic singer - actress is the worst). Boston family is waste of cliches.
Flag
Half of my extended family is from Boston or the immediate area. And yea, Ray Donovan kind of bashes you over the head with cliches.
Flag
Marco and Charlotte's affair seemed perfectly reasonable to me. The entire episode was building up Marco's frustration (Sonya not taking back her complaint, her not allowing him to break into Linder's trailer, Linder not telling the truth, troubles with his son), so his inhibitions were pretty lowered by that night. Also, it seemed like he felt sorry for her.

I had already known the affair happened in the original series too, but I didn't know which episode it was going to be featured in, and I thought the chain of events that led to it seemed pretty logical.

As for your final comment, I would think he's quite relieved that she was telling the truth about being in the EPPD. He's likely thinking that she's not going to risk doing anything to him now (presumably a cop would know how to dispose of corpses), what with her telling everyone within earshot that they had sex and everything.
Flag
Tim Surette doesn't get this show at all. He's missing the point while focusing on comparisons (Wire this, Traffic that). Tim Surette, I got news for ya - TV show shouldn't be like Wire to be good. Wire is not perfect and not measure of all good shows. If Bridge isn't trying to be like Wire (part 2) following its own path it doesn't mean this show is bad (or not good). It seems to me that mr.Surette thinks that there is only one way to be serious and big crime drama show - be Wire-esque. But that is absurd.
And this nitpicking (although I think Bridge messed up with webcam in desert - better stick with original and take person to abandoned warehouse) is ridiculous. We can nitpick our beloved "Wire" (especially in last season with implausible fake serial killer plot) and we can nitpick our beloved "Breaking Bad" that messed up pretty badly in last seasons. But that's all minor things and they are compensated with good drama (BB and Wire) and created atmosphere (TV show world). In case of Bridge drama isn't BB-quality (yet!). But it created pretty good atmosphere. And wire fans can remember how Wire was boring and tiresome in first few episodes. I could only watch first 5 episodes from the third try. And 1 season was not that easy to grasp. And compared to Wire pace in Bridge is pretty fast (and also if we compare it to original - Danish Marco slept with widow in 4 or 5 episode).
And complaining about hookups of main characters is so idiotic. What's up with that? Are we in Teen Wolf show? So TV character didn't live up to mr.Surette's expectations of TV character likability? Marco is saint already in 3d episode? Predictable is boring. It was that unexpected thing like in original and I liked it very much in both shows. That says that people are unpredictable and can make unexpected things and that we dont know people. But why should you like Marco less for his cheating? You should like him more because he became more complex. And I can tell you, Tim Surette, with 100% certainty that Marco won't sleep with Sonja. It's not that kind of show (its not Vampire Diaries, for god's sake). And I see that Bridge is following original show in its character plots for now. And it's good I think. That flaw in Marco's character gonna make a lot of sense down the road.
More+
Flag
I assume the young reporter rushed off to get the story out over the shooting, as the goal is to avoid cover ups in her downtown crime ridden area.
I'd imagine legal at the paper took a holiday or a bottle of Mexican scripted valium to allow the live feed to take place.
The mob-like matriarch Killing the horse was both a message to the widow and an insult to Carl Millright, who she said loved the horse during her visit. People do grieve in different ways! Sticking with the ranch out of spite or sheer bloody mindedness makes little since though when you've got a criminal enterprise corrupting your foundations.
Mutton chop having a few layers is a welcome touch. But his interview further highlighted just how inappropriate Sonja's handicap is for the role of detective. At times it's just a scripted conceit to far for me.
I was surprised Sonja's blurting out about sexual hookups at police stations not being allowed didn't have half a dozen officers pouncing on mate as a predator!
With any luck the show will get better sooner rather than later as the big bad widens his net and with it interest.
Flag
I don't think that the setting being important to the quality of the show is necessarily a bad thing. It's true that the show wouldn't be as good if it didn't take place on the border, but that's because the setting is an integral part of the plot, not just because there are cool images of the southwest and Mexico.
I don't know why people hate Sonya so much. She's actually my favorite character of the show. I like that she's a cold female character who didn't have some major trauma that made her that way. I like Frye too. I was glad the writers didn't feel the need to have him act calm and collected when he thought he was going to be blown to bits like some other tv shows do. For the most part, I like all of the characters on this show, which is more than I can say for most.
Flag
Re: "botched vasectomy "

One of us has our timeline out. Marco couldn't sit down readily in episode one because he had just had the snip. In episode two, his wife let's him know that she is pregnant. I would have thought that that would have been only a few days apart, and that she would have had to have been pregnant well before the vasectomy, to even know that she was pregnant at this stage.

Surely the storyline hasn't crossed months at this stage?
Flag
she was pregnant before he got the snip. but just found out.
Flag
Agree, had those thoughts after last week's ep. She could've still got pregnant by Marco a few days after his op but that would throw the timeline further along.
Flag
Vasectomy's cool, but they can't use the pill or condoms?
Flag
People opt for V's as the pill is a health risk for some women, not to mention some forget to take it. Similarly people don't always have condoms to hand, they aren't 100% and people just don't like them and literally experience them as barriers.
Flag
True, but between that and the potential for kid... 3? 4? I don't know, I'd suffer through the condom.
Flag
Sounds like a Catholic joke in there somewhere!!
Flag
Flag
Esteban is just trying getting his tunnel back!!!!! Am I watching 'Weeds'? When is Nancy Botwin showing up? Why is Esteban a cop now?
Flag
I sort of like The Bridge, but I wouldn't really care if it went away either.

Pros:
Detective Ruiz
Lt. Wade
The story is pretty interesting, though I haven't seen the latest episode yet.

Meh:
Detective Cross (she's a little too Bones and I alternate between liking it and being bugged by it
Matthew Lillard (I like the actor, but don't really care about the character)

Cons:
Who the hell cast Lyle Lovett and why? Did they owe him a favor? The man cannot act.
Flag
well you have to establish what you want to subvert and use as red herring or else the rest of the series really will make no sense.
Flag
Huh? I don't understand what your response has to do with my comment?
Flag
I see your point. I meant that when you say you like Det. Ruiz and not Det Cross, there is a reason that they are together and this implies subversion of the relationship between what we can expect from a "normal human being" and an "autist" and an "American" and a "Mexican". The point is not what separates them but what unites them.
Flag
See, I don't think she actually is autistic. I think her symptoms are self imposed. She convinced herself that she didn't understand/feel certain emotions, motivations, etc. as a coping mechanism, and she pretty much outsmarted herself. That's why she slips up off and on and shows empathy or acts in a way that is generally considered out of character for her.
Flag
I concede. However, your point that Dr. Brennan in Bones could have Asperger's is very interesting and maybe deserves another look. As far as I know, nobody has ever made that point before. You should think of making a longer comment on that, all by itself. :-)
Flag
I didn't say I disliked Cross... it's just that a lot of times, she reminds me a lot of Dr. Brennan, so it makes me feel like the show simply copied the Bones/Booth dynamic.

And I guess the reason it bugs is me is because while I liked Bones for the first several seasons, the writers seem to have lost their grasp on Brennan's character. One episode, she's very socially/emotionally aware/observant, and the next, she's back to "I don't understand what that means." So I guess I'm a little tired of Bones and Booth. :/
Flag
Aside from the scene with Marco and Charlotte at her place, which I kinda found odd, there wasn't anything I remotely disliked about the episode... but it was boring. If I had tried to watch this on TV last night, I'm sure I would've fallen asleep.

I guess I'll just generally reiterate my point last week, which is that like The Wire, I may not entirely like The Bridge if I watch it one episode per week. I was pretty damn bored watching this episode, like I often felt bored watching a single episode of The Wire. It's why I couldn't watch it on TV when it was airing, and only really loved it when I watched the whole series on DVD.

All in all, I maaaay have to force myself to wait until the season is over then find time to binge watch this series if I really want to enjoy it as best I can.
Flag
my friend, this has not anything remotely to do with The Wire. Believe me, Surette got it wrong and you're following his lead.
Flag
I didn't compare the two in any way other than pacing and my enjoyment of that pacing. Where am I wrong?

And haha @ following his lead... I had the exact same thought when I watched the pilot, before I read his first review.
Flag
wrong? of course you're not wrong;but it's funny when you use a sentence with "didn't compare" and "other than". ;-)
Flag
Flag
I tend to like mysteries and drama, and I don't need explosions or nekkid flesh every 10 minutes to enjoy something, but I'm putting "The Bridge" in the same bucket as "The Fall" : good but not my cup of tea.

I agree they're probably high-quality shows, but they're not keeping my attention nearly as much as I thought they would. They have decent actors, the story seems alright... but they're just not grabbing my attention.

I don't want to call them "boring" but their pace is just a *little* too slow for my tastes.
Flag
Do you like anything you watch? Have you applied to TelevisionwithoutPity? They hate everything too
Flag
Shows Tim has often positively reviewed based on ones I remember reading:

Orange is the New Black; Breaking Bad; Justified; Sons of Anarchy; Person of Interest; Homeland; first 3 seasons of Community; Game of Thrones; some seasons of Supernatural, and Fringe. Also, he didn't review them but he's said good things about The Americans and Veep. I'm sure I'm missing out on certain shows I may not watch.

Seriously, if you've only seen negative reviews from him that tells me you don't watch most or all of these shows... which means you watch a fairly crappy assortment of TV. Stop your bitchin'.
Flag
I've seen all those shows but have read his reviews. I stand by my statement.
Flag
Then you're purposely deluding yourself or something because I have no idea how that response makes sense. "I have read his positive reviews and I still think he hates everything"...?
Flag
maybe look up the definition of delusional and quit taking things so literally. How's this? All the reviews I have read are negative. Sorry I lumped you in the with grammer police, I see that it wasnt you who commented on the incorrect use of there, their, they're. I look at this site while I program and most times do not read what I write thus the errors.
Flag
Grammar police? I don't see where I corrected any grammar. I took your comment for the way you typed it. Jeez, you really are delusional.

And obviously you're entitled to express your opinion... just as I'm entitled to show you that your "opinion" is factually wrong... as he has, factually, given positive reviews to at least 10 different shows.
Flag
That should read havent read his reviews. Still I find him to be a hater. It's my opinion and I am free to express it. Just as you are free to be a member of the grammer police. To each their own.
Flag
Flag
Ugh, I hate myself for forgetting Orphan Black. But I'll chalk that up to not remembering if Tim was the writer for the season finale review.
Flag
He was , but boy did we have to fight him for it. I must say, that he finally made up for t with his interview of Maslany. But I still agree with your comment, though.
Flag
Tim does give positive reviews they are just far and few in between but if you're honest you have to admit he has at least a few points on this one. Marco was an honest cop breaking the Mexican police sterotype but then they make him into the a-typical latino philanderer. What the hell was that about and do we need an odd social interaction on every episode? Why did the one night stand show up at work and how is this show showing it's own voice. Cause even though I like the show I keep seeing a lot of other shows and nothing new in it.
Flag
I guess I wasnt aware there was a stereotype about latino philandering so it didnt bother me and I'm not saying its the best show on TV or anything but I enjoy it and will give it a chance to find its feet. I just havent read many positive reviews by Tim apparently he does write some but I havent had the pleasure of reading any of them or if I did, I didnt know it was him that wrote them. Still seems like he would fit in good at TV Without Pity
Flag
Marco, no!
Horsie, no!

I didn't see a drop in quality between this episode and the last one. I liked that there was a follow-up to Sonya's one night stand with another funny and awkward scene and I liked that they got Linder and interrogated him right away. I feared they'd take their sweet time connecting Red Herring No.1 to the main story. I don't mind the slow pace, it allows the characters to interact in a meaningful way and I'm liking what they are doing for the most part.

Charlotte's and Marco's affair was a little too sudden for my taste, but I liked they established Marco is far from a saint. His wife was worrying about the wrong woman, but he gives her good reason to do so.

Sonya is very entertaining to me, her reactions are priceless.

I hope they can save that woman!
Flag
You're onto something there with "he gives her good reason to do so". It irritated me a bit in the previous episode when the wife was already sort of freaking out over the possibility that his new partner may be pretty. It makes more sense now that we know that he's a bit of a Mexican Don Draper.
Flag
very smart comment.
Flag
Hi, for the webcam he don't need a WiFi signal, just a cellphone signal, with UMTS or LTE nowadays they can have a very decent signal for streaming video :)
Flag
I am really liking this odd series. Sonya bugs me, but that is ok because she is odd. The weird mumbling guy did bug me though. I wanted to reach in the tv screen and slap him silly and say "talk plan and stop that damn mumbling". And another thing wtf is up with Marco and bimbo widow woman. Now I see why his wife does not trust him, she knows he is a tom cat. Poor horse, he was a pretty thing. Staked out in the desert under the hot sun must really suck by the way. El Paso is hotttttt. I know because I have been there, too much sun and brown.
Flag
I feel the same way about this show. I can't decide if I like it or not. At first Sonya was strange for me but now...She makes me laugh.
There is one thing for sure I will continue watching and reading the reviews for now.
Flag
Don't be greedy for daytime procedurals where they solve five cases every commercial break. I love the slow pace of this. I think you've been missing several great tips (unless you have really cool tiles, then it’s okay.) while egging the show on for something to happen. While you say it needs to be its own, you continue to compare it and write what it’s not. Slow down. It’ll come out great, you’ll see. A great, long, slow, hot story. (Unless it doesn’t. Then I owe you a beer.) I’m the type to love scenery, costumes, even make-up in movies/tv like this and here the details are lovely – especially the over-the-border bits. I think they got some things EXACT. And I can’t get enough of the hot, depressing, lonely desert shots. Those are great. Killing someone with a desert … Unless you’ve ever crossed that bitch, you can’t imagine how exposure hurts. Though I think Texans and Mexicans do. Whereas the characters go – I think Charlotte soooo wants to tell Marco she needs help, she needs someone, anyone on her side, she just fears it will complicate her life even more, so she’s using the one language she does speak – sad and lonely sexuality. And Marco, dear Marco, he just can’t keep his hands of women. It’s been mentioned. He’s been married more than once, he even gave himself a procedure, thinking it will change anything, slow him down. But alas. The sleazy reporter guy is great. Boy, do I know men like that, hating everything about their lives and decisions they’re making. And Sonya … Well, having a bit of A. myself, the face she makes, her eyes, when she can see she said something that makes everyone uncomfortable. That’s actually how it happens. Okay, so she’s super pretty, but the dumb pauses between her blank emotional slate and the rest of the world. I think those are better than tiles.
More+
Flag
OMG TIM another character on TV didn't live up to your cookie cutter expectations of what TV characters HAVE to look like. Have a cow why don't u.
This show is getting better and better IMO. sure you have to think a bit and I love slow burn mysteries but is still really good.
There was obviously a smartphone on the camera stand in the last shot and streaming from 4G through a anonymizer isn't that had.
Flag
In the version I watched it was Sarin (other's have said they must have changed it to Ricin), Sarin is a never toxin (very very fast acting) it's also colourless and tasteless (meaning it's a very good poison), however it's an absolute mongrel to make....

Well not so much making it as staying alive while making it. It's extremely dangerous to make, giving us yet another clue to the high intelligence of the killer.
Flag
Pretty sure it was Sarin, not Ricin.
Flag
Its probably the case of a writer putting Ricin in the script not knowing it take a while to kill someone and then a fact checker found it after the shoot and it was dubbed to follow the story better
Flag
I had closed captions on and the text said "ricin" but the audio sounded dubbed to say sarin. Her mouth didn't sync up with what was said so I'm guessing it was ricin in the screener he watched.
Flag
Yes, the spoken dialogue said "sarin," while the written dialogue (as revealed by CC) said "ricin." My reasoning for this would be the same as Homer1338's.
Flag
Watched it twice and Sonya said SARIN....not ricin...
Flag
Okay, you talked me into it yet again. I'm going to finally watch The Wire. What's that you say? How could I have been so remiss? They say you can't watch everything, but I'm certainly gonna try. Episode 3 of The Bridge? Didn't watch it yet, but I will. Wife hates Sonya, though--even after I told her about the Asbergers. But, she likes the story so far, so I'm good....
Flag
O.Mar. One of the best characters ever created, Omar of The Wire. Have fun...
Flag
You cant beat Omar. The scene where Omar is court is one of my favorite scenes from the show.
Flag
Yeah definitely watch The Wire! Simply the Best show that I ever watched (that already ended). In september that will probably change into Breaking Bad, but The Wire is more realistic and can really grab you by the ..
I was sold after 1 episode, but like joename69 said, for some people it will take 5-6 episodes to really get into the world of the corrupt Drugcity of Baltimore.. Enjoy & I'll read somewhere on this site what you think about it..
Flag
Okay, episode one was enough to keep me going, and the wife liked it too. Good ta go...
Flag
Be warned, The Wire takes a good 5 or 6 episodes to get into, if you dont like watch at least till the end of the 1st season, trust me by then you will love the show.
Flag
I'll let ya know...
Flag
Follow this Show
Members