A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

The Bridge S01E05: "The Beast"

Hey The Bridge! Way to find your groove! Even if your groove is a drunken Elaine Benes type of dance. In its follow-up to last week's intense head-lopping, desert-roasting hour, FX's new crime-drama-slash-political-soapbox turned in another strong (and odd) episode tonight. No longer must we have to ask ourselves, "What's up with that chick with the terrible manners and buttered-noodles fetish?" or "Is that weird dude with the marbles in his mouth killing women?" Those peculiar details don't stick out as much as they once did, now that we're a little more used to them and the case is moving forward. It's time for next phase of The Bridge, where all the extremely vague setup of the first three episodes is out the door and the show can continue figuring itself out. And The Bridge is much better for it. 

The killer had a pretty mellow episode this week; he was either content with the reception for his "message" about the U.S.'s blinders toward Mexican crime or he was stewing over the fact that his very public stunt of webcasting Maria's rotisserie was foiled by Sonya. "Resting on his laurels," I think Daniel Frye called it, so let's go with that. As I said last week, I'm not even sure the killer wanted Maria to die, and I figured he had purposefully rigged a time-sensitive clue (the shadow of the pumpjack) to make sure she lived. The guy is a smart cookie. All Mr. Killer really wants is to point out the American law enforcement's preference for lighter skin tones, which makes him more dangerous to the system than to the general population. 

I'm not going to pat the guy on the back and buy him a beer or anything, but can we at least commend this killer for actually having a moral agenda for his killings? Look, I want to make this clear, murder is bad! BUT if you're going to do it, at least have a decent reason. This killer is more of a symbol of social uprising and discontent than a butchering maniac, and that gives The Bridge more weight than the rash of TV's other new serial-killer dramas. He's not some idiot with a fancy suit and a British accent talking about the greatness of Edgar Allen Poe and spewing bullshit about the beauty of death. This killer is out for change, and if you aren't a xenophobic nationalist who's frightened of foreigners, you can at least understand what he's calling for even if you don't agree with his methods. Again, just so we're clear, murder = bad. But also, the out-of-control violence in Mexico = bad. People have killed for stupider reasons.

Though the killer wasn't particularly busy in "The Beast"—he did ring up Daniel to chat, though we don't know why—the cops sure were. Or at least the FBI was busy log-jamming Sonya and Marco's investigation, if you want to be technical about it. Their man Gedman (last week's headless fed) was up to some shady stuff, including frequently hanging out with Cristina Fuentes a.k.a. the bottom half of the two-toned body left on the border in the series premiere, and according to the killer, the FBI knew about it. Seeeee? It isn't just Mexican cops who are crooked, and Gedman was targeted for exactly that reason. Not only is the killer shining a light on the American indifference to the atrocities against Mexicans both inside and outside Mexico, he's also got some dirt on a federal officer who used the country as a playground. Theory time! I think that's why the killer called Daniel, so that Daniel could report Gedman's indecent actions to the world and make the FBI look bad, thus bringing even more notice to the killer's cause.

Contributing to the stall in the El Paso PD investigation was Maria's recovery, but once she was a little less crispy she gave them a whopper of a clue: The killer's car had a "cage" in it, just like one you'd find in a cop car. Things immediately got juicier as Sonya postulated that meant the killer might be a member of law enforcement. And shortly afterward, the FBI finally handed over Gedman's file, which contained more black ink than a newspaper. But Sonya and Marco did get the name of Gedman's shrink, and Team Texico arrived at the doc's house to find him dead from a really bad shaving accident. However, I think someone murdered him! And if that empty police car (complete with cage) in the driveway was any indication, our killer had been (or was still) in the vicinity. 

Our "extra" story this week followed Gina, a young shoplifter with lousy parents. Bailed out by her busy dad and abandoned by her deadbeat mother, she just strolled on down to Mexico and sat on some stoops until a kidnapper invited her into his house to share some beers. Well that was stupid, Gina. I don't know what she was trying to accomplish. Maybe it was a cry for help; nothing gets your parents' attention like a heavy ransom! But eventually Gina was saved by the would-be kidnapper's sister/roommate, and she went back home where everything would be "normal" (after an odd side trip to a mass grave full of dead girls—seriously, who walks by something like that in the middle of the night?). Although what happened when she got there was only "normal" for ultra-violent Juarez, not America. It was Gina's dad who was Gedman's shrink, and she claimed to have seen the murderer rip her dad's throat open. And just to make things more exciting, she said it was "The Beast," the same person/thing responsible for the murders in Juarez. 

In this week's Linder Watch, mush-mouth had to iron some things out (haha, I am GOOD) with Ava's pissed-off pursuer Hector. Hector showed up at Linder's door while Linder was pressing some clothes in his undies, some questions were asked, and then it was fightin' time! That fight, and Hector's life, ended with Linder smashing an iron into Hector's noggin. Poor Hector. He was just a simple man looking for bloody revenge on whoever helped his woman escape his evil clutches, and next thing you know he was being rolled up in a rug and thrown out a window. That's an awfully quick entrance and exit for Hector, who in the larger context of the show never amounted to anything more than an empty threat. Yeah, his murder now means that Galvan is tied to Linder, but we spent an awful lot of time following Hector around for several episodes while he looked creepy, only to have him die. I'm not sure I understand the thought process in building him up and killing him off so quickly. But then again, there are a lot of things I don't get about this weird little show.

For example, why was it so easy for Marco to take Daniel's phone? That phone was Daniel's everything, it was his key to the killer, so there's no way Daniel would forget about it. And Daniel knows that Marco and Sonya would do just about anything to get their hands on his phone, so when Marco showed up and clumsily spilled coffee at his desk, forcing Daniel to go fetch some cleanup gear, wouldn't it be painfully obvious to Daniel that when he came back to his desk and Marco AND his phone were gone that Marco took it? Wouldn't a guy like Daniel immediately march down to the police station—or at least call Sonya—and demand his phone back, seeing as how his career hinges on it? Yet a whole day went by and we didn't hear a thing from Daniel. I've turned my house upside down after not having my phone for 30 minutes, and all I have on the thing is a saved game on Spell Tower. Daniel's phone is the key to an international serial-killer investigation. Maybe the situation will be explained next week, but details like these are something that The Bridge, a detail-oriented crime drama, has to get precisely right if it wants to be worth watching, and Daniel's phone was a major point of contention for me in the episode. 

But even though the phone thing really bugged me, "The Beast" also did something really well this week: It lightened things up. With the episode's treatment of mutton-chopped miscreant Linder, socially inept detective Sonya, and cultural mixing, The Bridge finally showed signs of embracing its awkwardness and clearing up its voice with some dark comedy. Sonya having dinner with Marco's family was funny, and she committed a terrible faux pas in handing over Marco's wallet and declaring that he'd left it at Charlotte's (though I have to remind you that, just like with Daniel and his phone, Marco seemed completely oblivious to losing his wallet—doesn't anyone around here notice when their livelihood is missing?). And I just about lost it when Linder dropped Hector's body out his window and onto the hood of a car and mumbled out a "Jesus." The combination of his reaction (what did he think would happen?) and that mouthful-of-rocks voice was just too much. But the most awkward moment came when Charlotte greeted her douche-toy friend from Tampa, who might be the worst male on the planet. "You call I come, if you know what I mean." "Pilates? Niiiiice. Look at you, the hot widow." "Let's have a few drinks and then I'll show you my new tattoo." Barf, barf, and barf. This show is SO weird. And Charlotte, you are pure trash. Try keeping your pants on and grieving for a minute. Just because one of your horses died doesn't mean you have to let everyone ride you. I think I understand her stepdaughter now. Team Stepdaughter!

The Bridge, I think I'm finally understanding you. Despite having a distinguished exterior that looks like a classic crime drama, underneath you're quirky and awkward. Many shows take on the personalities of their main characters, and that's certainly the case here, as both The Bridge and Sonya Cross look like one thing on the outside, but are frickin' weird on the inside. 

THE BORDER BETWEEN THE STORY AND THE NOTES

– I'm still not seeing much great police work on the show, as the killer is controlling everything. It's "stumble on a clue, interview a witness or get some information from the FBI, and go from there." 

– Here's an easy way to find the killer: Let him keep killing people and leaving bigger and bigger beads behind, and after about a dozen more murders, look for the guy who's rolling a giant bead down the street. That's your man! 

– Is Gus not Alma's son? Did I miss some detail? Gus said, "I know you're mad at my dad," instead of "I know you're mad at dad." And Alma told Gus he was welcome to stay in her house, as if she wasn't his mom. 

The Bridge's withholding of information continues, frustrating as that may be. But today we finally got the name of the woman who's threatening Charlotte to keep the tunnel open: Graciela Rivera. 

– Who wears pants that drop wallets every time you take them off?

– I'm still a little annoyed with the show's editing. We must have seen at least three 15-second intervals of Gina walking through the streets or sitting down, with no purpose other than to remind us that she was still part of the episode. The same thing happened with Linder after he killed Hector.

– Compared to other characters' arcs getting folded into the main story, Gina's intro and incorporation was quick, with both happening in the same episode. The same thing happened with Galvan last week, and it's much better than how the series was handling characters early on. Charlotte (aside from a brief exchange on the border) and Linder spent several episodes on their own before we saw how they fit into the larger story, and I don't know, to me it felt like the show was trying too hard to add mystery where it wasn't necessary. But that's what's great about television and its ability to readjust over time; The Bridge has already corrected that.

114 Comments
Comments (114)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
I'm sorry ,,but the demise of the "assassin" from Mexico just didn't make any sense to me,, Yes the show is quirky and on that Twin Peaks edge.(entertaining).. BUT we have spent a lot of time with Mr. Stranglehold! To have him killed off in the first episodes was a bit much and by Marbles mouth no less. Maybe it will tie together down the line. Show still has me intrigued.
Flag
Yeah, Alma is Gus stepmother. She referred to him as stepson to the man she was talking too.
Flag
I like this show, strangely I like the scary character Fausto, Just would like to see him more than 5 mins,
Flag
I don't know when the show did it but somehow I'm sold.
Flag
This is actually a pretty good show. A lot of great characters and unexpected stuff. Like this trailer guy, everybody was expecting him to be the villain right? But no. He's so awkward. The show makes you look at him in a different way. Same with the journalist guy, what an asshole, but then you get to know him a little… you see the human inside and start to like him.

And I like the opposition between the two main characters, it's great
Flag
"everybody was expecting him to be the villain right?"

When he was introduced yes, but in the next scene where the killer did something and we didn't get to see him, it was obvious that they're two different people.

Now that I look back at the scene where Linder locked that girl in the trailer, I don't think it makes any sense. He even told her that she can scream as much as she wants, because there's no one around for miles. And then he locked her in the trailer without explanation. No one who's trying to help her would behave that way. There seems to be no explanation for his behavior other than that the writers wanted us to think that he's a serial killer.
Flag
I'm no sure he wants to help people, he's taking the girls to some Manson wannabe. I mean he's still kidnapping them
Flag
I use summer to watch a lot of series saved on my DVR for this times... Try to watch something new like Under the Dome and this one... The later sucks like hell. This one, excellent story, with funny parts and dumb moments but an extraordinary hour of summer TV. How can someone drop his wallet in USA and end dining in Mexico without even notice? This are the kind of things that made this series more normal than superb, but at the end are not as stupid as a dome that can put an egg....
Flag
While I don't condone Det. Marco's cheatin' ways, I DO admire him for NOT insulting his wife's intelligence when she cold-busted him! Instead of begging "baby please baby please..." and "lemme explain", he just exited stage-left and kept it moving.

Flag
A little off-topic, but it seems Florida is increasingly becoming the bald-headed stepchild of the USA. First there's the 2000 elections, then more recently the Anthony and Zimmerman verdicts...now Charlotte's c-bag (colostomy-bag) boyfriend arrives...and he hails from Tampa, FL! Could it be the state's only proud moments are 'Golden Girls' and 'Dexter'??
Flag
Linder got in my head the nickname "ironing badass" the guy has nerves of steel and I hope he continues to surprise me in his pants, cause being badass with briefs can only be done once (cause I said so xD)
I loved how shoplifting girl got real quick and easy such an interesting development, but yeah I was screaming never follow random guy to his lair... but apparently she can blame her selfdestructing behavior to shitty parenting.
Good for Marco's wife let him suffer... but I am the only sensing a stepmom-stepson route? I mean the stepmom is young and the stepson is a teenager... hope not cause that would be soap opera worthy (well depends on how the writers play it).
I think bimbo widow is getting a little bit smarter... for real! I mean she asked for adviced, and when Marco refused her she got herself a new guy. I can't agree with Tim about her behaviour being wrong. The woman is lonely, she has some real shitty problems all to blame to dead-only-good-for-his-money-husband and annoying stepdaughter. So she wants a man? good for you bimbo widow just don't lend him your credit card or important information.

More+
Flag
When Marco's wife introduce the son to the colleague, she mentioned step-son so I have to presume, she is Marco second wife. Marco is either divorced before which is not suprising for a cop or the wife had died.

Flag
Staff
Thank you! I must have missed that but picked up on it with the language.
Flag
he said he had been married twice in an earlier episode
Flag
This week opening scene was great. I am sort of glad Tim did not point it out at all and that gives me a chance to do so. Did the scene not do anything for you Tim? I loved it. I will remember the scene for long. The mob boss and his henchman discussing what is considered a "serial killer". Both I presume have killed lots of people but they would never consider themselves serial killers. And they pointed out very correctly that soldiers and even Presidents have killed lots of people. It is another statement that the show wants to make to the audience but having 2 mobsters do it is quite original and interesting !
Flag
I'm may be off-topic but everyone go and check Magic City, its second season is awesome. Why did TV.com stop reviewing this show? Mary Ann Sleasman did first season if I'm not mistaken. Magic City got steam in second season. I'm in love with georgian (Georgia that is close to Armenia) actress who plays Judie Silver, smart Marilyn Monroe-esque prostitute. She's one of the most interesting characters on this show. And Jeffrey Dean Morgan doing pretty good. Also jewish mob boss is scary good. And Jessica Morais who plays mysterious mobster's wife is wonderful. Her role got meat as compared to 1st season. Today is finale, so soon! Oh, no. Why so soon?
Flag
I agree but sadly it is also the final episode. No more renewal for the show. JDM is good and so are the many wonderful actress on the show.
Flag
What? Are u kidding me? this is a joke? Where u heard this? What's wrong with Starz? It does it second time like with Boss. Magic City is way better than Boss. I blame TV.com in this. When quality goes up, Starz pulls the plug. Why? They need another Mad men or what? It's solid show as it is.
Flag
Maybe this is the next Holmes and Yoyo...
Flag
Marco must be a saint, because I swear I'd have turned to Sonya and gone "WTF IS YOUR DAMAGE WOMEN?" after that crack at dinner about the food being bad.
Flag
Hey Tim! Where's the Community for The Bridge?... Where?
Flag
Meanwhile I got used to Data.
There was a lot of bashing from my side towards Kruger but considering her skills her work as Lt.C. Data is pretty good.
The episode was good too, maybe the best so far. I was genuinely surprised when Linder took out the "friend" - I was sure he would bite it. And when the "heffe" emerged from the middle of the dsert to claim "his", I was grinning a grim smile of joy.
Flag
Ms. Lt.Commander Data insulted the hostess by saying her food didn't tastegood, returned Marco's wasllet in front of his wife (and later didn'thave a clue why they had fought), and couldn't figure out why a horny teenager was staring at her. And then she makes that clueless face. I'm starting to love her!
Interesting contrast: police officers (more like soldiers wth unfriendly faces) with big guns check cars that pass from Mexico to the USA, while an unaccompanied teenage girl waltzes through the bridge in the oppsite direction, no questions asked. Not even a document seems to be required of her. How did she get back? Is fluency in English enough? And in Ciudad Juarez it's a war zone, while in El Paso, people keep the key to their font door under a mat...
I don'tknow what Marcxo is doing with the ranch lady. Alma is hotter. And there's this little thing called marriage vows.
Fausto pondering whether he's a serial killer or not. It's nice to know he worries about the big things in life, his legacy, and all. Soul-searching is always good.
Linder's secret identity: Iron Man! I don't even wanna see what hecan do with a mop.
Flag
You call her Data too! I did so after the pilot - this should totally be established.
Flag
Staff
<3 "Ms. Lt. Commander Data"
Flag
This was a good episode. Not necessarily the quality that I have been expecting from The Bridge. But I can forgive them for their minor faults. Of which I will talk about later.

The killer didn't have a big week. Mostly because he didn't need it. This was a week to promote his myth. We didn't learn about him, we learned about his myth, how the average people view him. Which fit well with the conversation with Sonya saying that she is studying him. We are all studying him. Part of learning about legends and lore is to talk to the people that it affects. Same with a biography, you don't get the real story just from talking to the subject of a biography, you get it from the people that person has an effect on. And that is what this was. Gina walks around Juarez and people generally pay her no mind, pay The beast no mind. Until she comes upon a girl who the killer has effected and we know that he is a person that people don't talk about. Either from fear or from their acceptance that this is the way it goes.

The killer likely has at one point been law enforcement. Viewing the border from that perspective could potentially be one of the reasons why he is doing what he is doing. I doubt that he is currently active. These plans tend to take a lot of time and a pesky 9 to 5 job would tend to screw with the time table of being a full time psychopath with people to break out of their apathy. The car in the drive way. Could have really come from anywhere. Many departments have a single garage that does work on their cars. He could be an owner or a part time worker their or just stole it and intends on putting it back. Or leave it there and make a statement that I can blend in. I can blend into a place surrounded by people that want to catch me. You don't know me but I know all of you.

LInder's story was interesting. He might be innocent of doing anything to those girls, but this isn't the first time he has taken a life, wrapped up a body and buried it in the hills. However just to the director and the show runners. That was way too much of Linder in his tighty whities. However I want to know how Fausto found him. Did Fausto lojack Hector? Because if not, I vote we let the cartel find the killer, that was the best detecting this side of Sherlock.

Now to the portion of the show I didn't like.

As soon as we saw Gina's father the Doctor. I knew he was dead. He was too much of a douche to not be killed. The killer has a type and it is generally giant Dbags. The second he was rude to his daughter I knew he was gone. And a predictable killer is problematic for the story. I felt that was way to predictable in a story that thus far only the killer knows what is going to happen next. It was kind of sloppy and I wouldn't have expected it from this show.

Same with Gina. Gina was the innocent that this story has been looking for. As soon as we saw her I knew she was going to be essential to the story. She was going to be safe all the way through the episode. And we had to see just how innocent and naive that she was by entering an apartment with a guy that was going to kidnap her. And then she had to be told the story of The Beast. It too was kind of predictable but I think it is going to lead to the best aspect of the story thus far.

Gina, if we are to believe her, witnessed the Killer kill her father. So presumably she can identify him. This I think will be interesting for the killer. He seems to not go after innocent people or well people that he deems is innocent. But if she can pick him out. What is he going to do? He kills her he is able to progress with his plan. He doesn't and he is at an increased risk of being caught before he completes his plan. This dilemma, handled well by the show runners. Could be great.

Notes;
The difference between the police work of this show and say the following. Is that the killer truly is a mastermind. He might not be smarter, but because he has been preparing for this for a while. He has plans, he has alternative plans. He didn't do this to just get caught easily by the likes of the FBI and the El Paso PD. He likely knows all of the players and planned against them accordingly.

Gus isn't Alma's son she said step son initially. And Marcos is way older than Alma is.

The cartel woman is going to be interesting. If only for her interactions with Fausto.

Marcos, Marcos wears pants like that. It is a little convenient. But it was funny so I will let it pass.

I think the walking through the streets was to show that it is just another day in Juarez. Apathy. The Killer is railing against apathy on both sides of the border. The show needed and innocent like GIna to show that.

This isn't a fast show. I doubt if anything is going to be fully resolved by the end of the season. People are going to come and people are going to go. Like the city itself, it is a temporary spot for some people.

Overall, aside from the two problems. It was good. I really hope they deal with with the Gina/Killer thing.
More+
Flag
I doubt that killer dont kill innocents. He's already killed innocent mexican girls just to prove the point (more than one or two if we gonna believe this Beast story - but I think cartel responsible for crosses). Also I wonder if Charlotte told Marco about tunnel? Coz I don't remember it. And why? And why Marco as cop didn't do anything about it? She told him about evil mexican woman boss and he didn't ask why notorious mexican madame bothering Charlotte? So he knows.
Flag
Ah but see the thing with psychopathic killers is they have a funny definition of the term innocent. He is supposedly doing all of this to break people out of apathy, to break people out of their norm, fear, etc and what have you. He could view those willing to flee north instead of staying and fighting the corruption just as guilty as those that are corrupt. Which could also explain why he left Marcos alive. He likely knows who Marcos is and views him as one of the good guys because though he accepts that the cartels are the way things are. But he doesn't accept bribes and is not one of their cops. Now Gina, truly is an innocent, that is why I think we spent so much time on her wandering the streets of Juarez, because she did with the eyes of an innocent. She likely had not been there before. We saw that when her eyes widened after her entry. Of course this is all speculation.

I don't think she told him about the tunnel. But she did tell him about the Woman cartel boss. And he basically told her to not mess with her.
Flag
But Charlotte did ask - so Im supposed to let people go through? (something like that). What did she mean? Seems like tunnel. Or may be it's strange metaphor. I think also that Gina gonna die.
Flag
My guess it was the tunnel and Marcos kind of told her to not bother the cartel. Because they will just kill her and continue to use it. However I want to know what the cartel is going to do with her new boy toy. Because that guy has dead written all over him.

I think it would be interesting if Gina dies. It would show the commitment of the Killer in wanting to enact his plan. But I think Gina and how they deal with her is going to be the proverbial fork in the road and depending on which they take will either lead them to being a great show or just a pretty good show.
Flag
The main problem I have with the show is a very minor nit-picky detail.
They are in El Paso yet most people are wearing long sleeve, blazers, hoodie sweater tops, and jean jackets outside! WTF? Has anyone been to El Paso? If it isn't December, January, February and mainly just in the morning and night of those months then you would not wear that outside unless needed (i.e., uniform).

I've been to El Paso and live to the east of there (san antonio) and even in the "winter" you can wear shorts and t-shirts most afternoons. For work attire, you just put on the blazer/coat/jacket (depending on your job) in the office and take it off immediately when outside (Sonia isn't in uniform so that jean jacket would only make sense if she was dripping in sweat)....same goes for Gina and the hoodie.

minor point but it seemed careless to me....

Charlotte, the one so many people are calling stupid, actually knows how to dress for the weather--at least in this past episode.

Anyway this was a very superficial and stupid problem I had with the show and otherwise I am loving the show and find it to be very intelligently written and plotted...I like the slightly "weird" vibe and the web of story lines/plots and look forward to seeing the "big picture" of how it fits together but that won't happen anytime soon imo. I'm just going to enjoy the journey!
More +
Flag
I don't know. For me it shows that it is kind of real. People that live in places like that long enough become habituated to it. I find it an easy way to pick out locals. I have relatives that live in the Phoenix area that can and do wear long pants and shirts.

It could very well be the winter. Perhaps not December, but maybe January or February. But I do agree that it is kind of funny.

However Sonya with her jacket, it represents her understanding of love for her sister. She would wear it in 100+ degree temps.
Flag
no way--I live in the region and always seem to be cold when inside but when I go outside the heat is horrible and I use to live in Central America (Panama) then the Houston area then San Antonio---your body can get slightly acclimated to the environment but with the heat in south TX it is not realistic to wear jean jackets outside in the afternoon. What was realistic was the sweat seen when digging the grave.

Everyone I know and see wears sleeveless or short sleeves when outside unless it is a lightweight cotton long sleeve shirt. Jean jackets only in the mornings and nights of Nov-Feb in the 1980s!

Stereotypical girly stuff (so sexist of me-I know): I pay attention to this since I love clothes, especially winter clothes and have tons of coats/jackets that I can only wear a few mornings/evenings a year (maybe 30-60 days out of a year--just a rough guess)~~hardly ever get to wear them during the day. It got to be 108 Fahrenheit here earlier this week and now is peaking around 103---but I'm inside the office most days (freezing with the a/c).

Granted, El Paso is slightly more north then San Antonio and Phoenix is slightly more north then El Paso, it's still very hot and we can agree to disagree--I just base my comments on my experiences and what I see around me (what I see other people wearing)---but then again, I am slightly more south and in a slightly more humid region. I've been to Phoenix and found it to be much cooler and the heat is a dry heat so it doesn't feel as hot. A sweater hoodie (even if lightweight) in a boarder Mexican city is funny imo!
More +
Flag
In original danish Sonja wore leather pants all the time) I guess if american Sonja would wear leather pants in such heat it will be outrageous)
Flag
Have you noticed Sonya almost never blinks?
Thats gotta be painful.
Flag
Good episode. Very decent laughing. From the get-go we saw hillarious discussion about what is serial killer (why nobody mentioned it?). It was damn funny watching amazed face of Galvan, cold-blooded criminal, when his fat sidekick explained him difference between serial killer and other just killers. And of course Linder hitting Hector one last time and throwing his corpse on the car was hillarious dark funny stuff.
I think Im getting Tim Surette's torment about ambivalent weirdness of the show. Bridge isn't an original show so it has this subtle vibe of Danish/Swedish show, its non-traditional as compared to American TV tropes. But at the same time Bridge trying to be American or rather to be itself, to differ from original. And as result it has that ambivalent quality at times. For me it's fun to watch how it is going away from original but still having similar scenes at times. Unpredictability is everywhere in Bridge and it's great. That's why I think Tim Surette can't grasp idea of introducing and building secondary character and then killling him after few episodes. I have no problem with Hector's death. He wasn't obviously main player in all this, we saw him kill people and look for ex-girlfriend. What else we need? Why does every character's move and gesture has to have purpose plot-wise? It's so traditional TV thinking. After "Wire" I thought Tim Surette got his revelation.
BTW Marco's wife did introduce Marco's son as her stepson. Loud and clear.
More+
Flag
I agree with everything you say except the "ambivalent weirdness" comment.
This show comes off as an intelligent serialized (not case of the week) show but without the soap opera drama of lots of serialized shows.

It's quirky and very intelligent imo. It has lots of plots/storylines going on and eventually they will tie together. It seems like sometimes some people want simple formula shows or traditional shows and if a show is "smart" then people complain it doesn't make sense or it is slow or that they don't get it. I think they just need to be patience and if they still don't like it or don't get it then go watch a "traditional show".

FYI: I'm not ranting at you AssandroJourn but just added to your comment. Tim sometimes complains a show is to obvious or follows a simplistic formula but then a creative and brilliant show like this comes out and he flip flops between liking it and being confused/annoyed. That is his right but I for one and loving this show. It has a lot of balls in the air but it will all come together. It's not meant to be understood all at once so just sit back and enjoy the experience or change the channel. It's not a case of the week or even case of the season....I think of it more as a world building show (at least at this time). It is building the world/environment of The Bridge and it's characters.

So well said--> "Unpredictability is everywhere in Bridge and it's great. That's why I think Tim Surette can't grasp idea of introducing and building secondary character and then killling him after few episodes. I have no problem with Hector's death. He wasn't obviously main player in all this, we saw him kill people and look for ex-girlfriend. What else we need? Why does every character's move and gesture has to have purpose plot-wise? It's so traditional TV thinking. After "Wire" I thought Tim Surette got his revelation."
More +
Flag
You're right. I was refering to Surette's confusion (when saying about ambivalent weirdness). Show is weird at times, like our beloved Sonja and I think it's because it has Danish show's vibe. Danish, they do shows a bit differently while borrowing from US TV shows too. And now US borrows from Denmark and now it's endless game of influences in "Bridge". And it's fun to watch. Also I don't mind when characters are just walking the streets (like this girl in Mexico) for minute or two. Characters need to live for a bit. To breathe. It's very non-traditional approach to free character from plot for a second. I wonder what they gonna do next season if it happens. Danish show will start its 2d season only this fall.
Flag
Ooh...Demian Bichir's smooth, whispering voice at the beginning when he said "previously on The Bridge". It sent shivers down my spine, and I'm not even gay. Or maybe Demian turned me?
Flag
Yep... he sort of oozes charm... doesn't he!
Flag
Alma called Gus her stepson when introducing him to the guy she was speaking to.
Flag
This show is weird. I'm still waiting for the dancing midget that talks backwards. My problem is that I'm not sure it's intentionally weird, and that's an issue. I'm all for a show that just has that odd element, but if that's the case you can't play other scenes as gritty and ripped from real life. I'm still watching, I'm still enjoying it, but the show needs to decide it's identity. Gritty real life crime drama, or Twin Peaks on the border.
Flag
Tim!!!!!!!!!!!!! Watch Utopia....let me know what you think. I really love all the shows you love lol. I usually come here to see the shows you review and they are all shows that i really love!! (the ones you bash nt so much). Other shows i really love and do not know what you think about them; Luther, black mirror, rome.
Flag
Similar to tv.com, I too do a trial run of a show before deciding on it's quality or whether or not I'm going to continue watching, only mine runs 5 episodes.

I'm a big fan of shows that play the long con with their story lines. Don't shove everything at me like I'm an A.D.D. afflicted teenager and see what I pay attention to. Take as much time as you want putting pieces on the board, so long as you provide me with quality watchable material, I'll wait almost as long as you want.

I too had similar questions as to what exactly this show was as a whole. On the surface, there doesn't seem to be much that's new here. Two cops with opposing personalities trying to solve a murder after a cross border body is found...if I didn't know better, I'd say the producers were paying homage to 'Good Cop, Bon Cop'. What I did figure out quickly was this show is all Marco all the time. That made evident by my gutted reaction to him banging Horny McWiddow. Marco is the motor that drives this show and that's just fine with me.

Now, as for Sonja. Oh Sonja...the illegitimate love child of Carrie Matheson and Temprence Brennan. The problem though is she isn't as smart as Bones and not nearly the investigator Carrie is. She wants to be both, a Lisbeth Salander v.2. if you will, but she's neither. I don't know if it's because the character isn't written as well or because Diane Kruger doesn't have the same acting chops as Noomi Rapace to pull it all off. Frankly though, as hard as her scenes are to watch sometimes, there's enough there to keep me interested to see what's under the surface.

As for the rest of the cast, like Marco, it's fantastic. Linder is doing his best Buffalo Bill impression. I wonder is Thomas M. Wright watched 'Silence of the Lambs' a bunch of times or just went straight to the source and asked Ted Levine for pointers. Cereal Killer grows up...I like it. While he is the perfect Shaggy, I quite like the job Matthew Lillard is doing. I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop with the know everything ranch hand. He's not passing the sniff test, and it's not because of the horses. Marco's wife, the El Paso receptionist, everybody...well done.

I'm not sure how I feel about Bosco and Bobby being two of the dumbest booty calls on TV, but they serve their purpose I suppose.

Either way, I'm standing on The Bridge with a pair of those giant binoculars to see what happens next.
More+
Flag
This was the best episode yet.
Flag
Dear Lord, someone teach that woman to hold a gun properly. It's a cop show after all.
Flag
This is one show that I am truly warming up to regardless of the fact that I don't recall a majority of the cast's series names. But I'm learning. This episode really fleshed out some of the characters and added some vitally needed humor into the mix. Everything can't always be dark and foreboding (except this concept worked swimmingly for "Hannibal"). Sonya's "matter of factness" is borderline charming and Marco comes across as someone I would truly enjoy having a cerveza with. I would almost prefer for there not to be a Hank character because his fatherlike foundation keeps Sonya somewhat in check. I can only imagine how over the top her behavior would be without his guidance. All in all, this was my favorite episode thus far because it really helped in bringing things together. Linder should get some boxer briefs though, because I find his whitey-tighties a little disgusting to view. Great show!
Flag
I can always tell how much I'm into a show by how quickly I learn the characters' names. So far, I'm doing well with this one, which I take as a good sign. In contrast, I think Mike is the only character whose name I can immediately recall from Graceland despite also watching that every week. Not a good sign for that show.
Flag
"Yeah, his murder now means that Galvan is tied to Linder, but we spent an awful lot of time following Hector around for several episodes while he looked creepy, only to have him die. I'm not sure I understand the thought process in building him up and killing him off so quickly. But then again, there are a lot of things I don't get about this weird little show."
It wasn't about us getting to know Hector, it was about establishing what and how he did things for Galvan, at the end that's all he was, one of Galvan's men and now Linder faces the fact that he has to pay for Hector's life with his own and has two ways to do it, either he dies or he becomes one of Galvan's guys to susbtitute Hector, which automatically makes this show ever more awesome... note to self: pitch an idea of a show where a weirdo kills a cartel's hitman and has to become him in order to stay alive*.

Charlotte and Marco deserve each other, both equally promiscuos, neither is worse, just sad.
Yes, Gus is Alma's stepson, she introduced him like that; his mother is Marco's first wife.

My rant of the day, WHERE IS THE COMMUNITY FOR THE BRIDGE??!!

Ok, rant's over, but I'm consistent.
More+
Flag
This episode had a healthy dose of humor and it was pretty gripping from beginning to end. Kudos!

"The food isn't good". Sonya is the best!
Flag
I have a few TV series I enjoy enough that I will purchase them when available. THE BRIDGE has been added to that list.
Flag
"Doesn't anyone around here notice when their livelihood is missing?"

LOLOL dude I was thinking the exact same thing.
Flag
The murder scene with the shrink was vile. The man's tongue had been pulled through the laceration on his neck. Isn't there a euphemism for that? Colombian necktie or something?

In my version Linder muttered "Oh dear" when the body crashed onto the hood of the car. I of course thought this was hilarious, and then felt a tad ashamed at my morbid sense of humor.

Something serious was up with Hector. Galvez tortured and killed a man to determine his whereabouts and then hunted Linder down whilst burying him in the desert. Hector has more story than simply being one of the scariest exes ever.

Charlotte is definitely trashy. I am not impressed. I also sort of hoped the bitchy step-daughter was going to stick around and cramp Charlotte's style a bit more.

Alma introduced Gus as her stepson. Where is Gus's mother? Divorce is still pretty uncommon in Latin America.

How many times do you think Marco has dropped that wallet into public toilets? I'd have to sort out a new wallet. I now understand the seemingly pointless wallet chains; in case the wallet falls into a public toilet no need to fish it out. What a relief that must be.
More+
Flag
LOL about the wallets--so true and it makes him look stupid...get a new wallet or new pants or a chain...seriously, wtf?
Flag
His wallet begs to be picked. It wails,"O please, please steal me, take all my money and throw the rest in some god awful rotting gutter!".
Flag
Yes, I believe that's the classic Colombian necktie.

And yes, Linder did indeed say "Oh, dear" rather than "Jesus" when he dropped the body. As usual, closed captioning is my helpful assistant.

CC also revealed both Linder's and Graciela's names long before they were actually mentioned in any spoken dialogue. CC often gives you a head-start on things such as that. By the way, CC has been careful not to reveal the killer's name, which would have been a colossally bad move. His dialogue has so far been prefixed only with a single "K," presumably for Killer.
Flag
A lot going on but each episode really comes together well and definitely leaves you excited for the next week.

Really well-done show.
Flag
Just because the killer claims to be making a political statement, that doesn't really mean he is, does it? After all he is a mass murderer so why would we think his motives are pure? Maybe he is just fooling us or, maybe even himself.
One other thing why is Charlotte a whore all of a sudden?
Her husband died shortly after telling her he didn'ti love her and wanted a divorce. Some peeps might take that as an affront to their self esteem and I dunno...try and see if other people found them attractive by hooking up with an available member of the opposite sex.
When they were ditched by that person as well, thumbing thru the old address book for a former flame could be seen as more like a necessary attempt to rebuild self-confidence than an act of sluttiness.
True the fact that the new bloke is a total mercenary asshole is unlikely to do much for Charlotte's insecurity, but I see a naive well-meaning, (e.g. didn't want any part of people smuggling no matter how much money she was offered) human who, like so many others, is totally ill-equipped for survival in a dog eat dog world, more than I see an amoral & selfish character.
More+
Flag
"One other thing why is Charlotte a whore all of a sudden?"
Yes, why is that? The character is described as a woman who was actually in love with her husband. When you are having problems with your other half and break up ... well you expect that. But when somebody hands you divorce papers and you never saw it coming, it's like... well like a kick to the stomach! And people behave in different ways...
How soon is too soon to be dating (or having sex which is more comfort sex than anything else) after you realise you were living a lie?
Flag
Great points!

So Charlotte is a whore and Marco is just a cheater...whatever.
Charlotte isn't married or in a committed relationship. Her husband is dead and he was going to divorce her and she discovered he wasn't the man she thought he was. Also if she is grieving then remember people grieve in different ways and often after someone dies people use or want sex as a way of coping with death and reaffirming life.

Regardless of how she felt/feels about her dead husband, she is not dead and if she wants to have sex then she isn't hurting anyone. She didn't hurt Marco's wife---Marco did that.

Charlotte may be naive about some stuff but I don't care about her sex life and don't judge her negatively for it. The new guy seems like a loser but it's her choice so good for her and she knows him better then us viewers....
Flag
Charlotte's not a whore -- she's just very...VERY...liberated.
Flag
calling her a whore was sarcastic;-)
Flag
Well, I have to thank Mr. Surette for this episode recap, otherwise, I'd be totally lost! The show and characters can be confusing, but with Mr. Surette around, no worries! I wonder why the guy in Juarez who was supposedly being friendly to Gina by inviting her up for a beer thought she was rich? She didn't look rich to me, or is it that all "gringo" gals are considered rich? How would this guy know how much money ( if any ) her family had? We knew, but he wouldn't.
Flag
Kudos to your bold anti-murder stance, Tim. ;-)
Flag
I can't go along with your idea of having the killer use increasingly large beads. Eventually they'd become so large that someone would get pinned under one, and then the show would become ... Under the Dome. And we really don't want anymore of /that/, do we?
Flag
The show keeps getting better. I love how socially awkward Sonya is, it makes for some hilarious lines.

As far as Daniel not missing his phone... normally I would think the same thing, but we've already seen the dude taking a bump in the police station, getting black-out drunk, and admitting to a cop that he takes drugs, so who knows. But, on the other hand, the wallet made no sense, it's hard not to notice your wallet missing, plus how do you cross the border without your ID?

I'm not really that shocked about Charlotte being a whore. I mean, she was married to a guy that looked like he was 70 or at least 60, so she probably hadn't gotten laid in awhile and with everything going on it kinda made sense. Plus, her dead hubby told her that he doesn't love her anymore and wants a divorce, while on his death bed...

Gus is not Alma's son... she introduced him as "this is my step-son"

Flag
I was going to say the same thing about the missing phone. I guess Tim hasn't interacted with drug abusers (nothing I am proud of but I've had friends and family member with addiction problems) and I wouldn't be surprised if Daniel can't figure out what happened to his phone.
Flag
I'm increasingly enjoying Sonya's unfiltered speech, not that I was ever really bothered by it in the first place. The scene at the dinner table in particular was a lot of fun. Also, thumbs up for Linder. I loved him taking a breather from ironing that other guy's face long enough to chat with a *detective* at his door. The show is all the better for these moments of bizarre, understated humor.

I've noticed how the killer's voice, despite being digitally altered, sounds a lot like Ted Levine's, at least to my ears. I can easily believe that the killer is a law enforcement officer, although not necessarily him.
Flag
I noticed that the killer sounds like Levine as well. In, fact he speaks so much like him that you'd think he couldn't possibly be the killer.The guys voice and speech pattern is way too unique. Seriously, it's like trying to use a voice masking device on Porky Pig.
Flag
No joke, I think it's hilarious how Sonya talks. Constantly making everyone uncomfortable.
Flag
I am officially done with this show.
Flag
Im just wondering when the political climate went from "USA stop being the worlds police" to "USA please fix our problems with your all powerful police that cant solve murders"?
Flag
I have/had a problem with it then realized that message was from a psycho killer so I no longer have a problem with it since I'm fine with disagreeing with a psycho's motives
Flag
Yep, that's the new political climate, and the world demands it. At least according To TV shows produced in the USA, the true voice of the disenfranchised around the world.
Flag
Wel, if the Killer knew about the FBI loking in Gedman then he can be nothing else but a cop, an ex cop or someone very close to cops. Maybe he even knew Marco which is why he spared him.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Don't see Apocalypto then unless you understand mayan.
Flag
"Why must the majority of us who speak english be inconvenienced." First-World problem # 435.
Flag
I think Linder should be sub-titled at all times ... there are gems in those mumbles!
Flag
I'm normally not a big fan of subtitles, I'm very visually impaired so I need to sit very close to the screen when watching shows with a lot of them or ask someone I'm watching with to read them to me, but in this show?

They are actually very well done, the yellow colour helps visually impaired viewers (hint for TV people, WHITE SUCKS HARD for us, it's almost impossible to see it), they are fairly big, and they add to the flavour, since it makes a lot more sense then having an auto-translate.
Flag
I noticed that the yellow sub-titles were less distracting, too. Interesting. I've seen a lot of foreign (sub-titled) movies and not once have I seen the subs in anything other than white.
Flag
What is more off-setting:
To read once in a while OR to be irritated why all of a sudden a Mexican family talks English(with accent)?
Plus: Spanish is the easiest language to understand - I say this as a compliment.
Flag
I keep asking myself why do Spanish family suddenly speak English to each other ?
Flag
It can't possibly be that inconvenient. The size is at least the standard size for subtitles, maybe bigger.

I can't believe that you're suggesting that they should have Mexican people in Mexico speaking English to each other.

The only detail I sort of agree with is that the time the text appears on screen is kind of short. It's not a problem for me, but I know that my dad for example wouldn't be able to keep up. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to extend that time without making it look weird. They don't want the text to linger on screen when they cut to show us the other person in the room, because then it would look like he's the one who just said what we're reading.
Flag
Caramba! I didn't even realized there was such a subtitle problem, muchacho. Por favor, won't they think of he viewers' shortcomings/comfort zone? No es posible! Que piensan que estan haciendo? I mean if they are going to make how about the cultural diversities of a border, why not focus on the border between Connecticut and Massachusetts? That's some diversity than I can handle.
Flag
Ou est la bibliotheque? ;-)
Flag
La plume du ma tante c'est dans la bibliotheque. Danke Schoen, amigo.
Flag
É, e eu diria a mesma coisa, com certeza.
Flag
Lazy much?
Flag
Subtitles aren't an inconvenience. You just have to get used to them if you haven't watched that many foreign shows and movies.

After that you can enjoy a whole world of excellent foreign programming. North Americans really miss out on quality entertainment because of subtitle aversion syndrome.
Flag
only some people so I wouldn't say "North Americans" since I am a North American who love subtitles and is semi-fluent in spanish.
Flag
I meant fewer foreign films are screened in North American cinemas because of the perception that no one will watch because of subtitles.

I lived in South Africa before moving to Canada. I was always able to see excellent subtitled movies in the cinema. Now I usually have to wait for Oscar nominations to be announced and then I can hunt them down. And even then I have to wait until they are released on iTunes.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members