A The Bridge Community
FX (ended 2014)

The Bridge S01E08: "Vendetta"

BIG FAT SPOILERS AHEAD so if you didn't watch "Vendetta" yet then don't read on.

I KNEW IT! Okay, I didn't. The Bridge took one giant leap towards getting this whole "who is the killer?" thing out of the way by very clearly laying out exactly who the killer was instead of peppering us with potential perpetrators. The killer is... Tim Cooper! JK LOL it's that creepy beardy guy that none of us ever trusted in the first place. And it explained why the killer has been so quiet recently. He's had his hands full trying to get into Alma's pants, which I totally get. 

A couple immediate thoughts with this whopper of a revelation:

– I'm super impressed that the show revealed who the killer was eight episodes into the first season instead of at the end of Episode 11 or 12. That leaves five episodes to catch the guy, arraign him, get a trial date, put him in a courtroom, convict him, go through the proper channels of giving him the death penalty, and injecting him with super sleepy juice. But I will settle for just catching the guy. I'm curious how this show will manage to remain interesting with five episodes of chasing, provided Season 1 encompasses this case. 

– David Tate/Kenneth Hastings was never even on my radar as a possible suspect. He was just the gross guy who had no business even breathing the same air as Alma because she's way out of his league. So congratulations, The Bridge, you fooled me. I'm sure some of you had him in your pools as the killer. Those who did, treat yourselves to a pat on the back.

But the question remains: was it a satisfying reveal? I'm pretty split on this. As I said before, finding out the identity of the killer was never a huge priority for me. I'd prefer to soak up the backdrop of bordertown Mexico and smell my television for street tacos. On the other hand, CASE PROGRESS! You gotta love it when a murder investigation moves forward instead of winds around and circles back to the start. But one thing I loved about the killer was that he stood for something, namely, the disparity in justice and order between America and Mexico and America's indifferent attitude to the atrocities in Mexico. This was the kind of murderer I can get behind! A murderer with purpose! A murderer who made his kills count and let everyone in the world know exactly why he killed these people! Hooray for you, murderer! 

Now? This David Tate guy is killing people... for personal reasons. He killed handsome and suave Santi Jr. because Santi Jr. was the man behind the wheel of the hit-and-run that killed his wife and kid. And now everything else comes together; he wants to expose Marco as a sketchy cop because Marco slept with his wife (apparently there's no "eye for an eye" principle since he slept with Marco's wife). He's also involving Daniel Frye probably because he was an associate of Santi Jr. And I'd bet he didn't like his former partner Gedman for reasons other than Gedman's penchant for cross-border prostitutes.

Taking things to a personal level kind of kills the twisted romanticism behind The Bridge Butcher's politics, doesn't it? He's no longer crusading for something, he's just an angry white guy who wants to get back at the people who done him wrong. Maybe he's giving multi-tasking murdering a shot, I don't know. The point is, one of the most attractive tenants of The Bridge, the specter of a serial killer with a political agenda, has been evicted, and it's now a one step forward, one step back situation.

One other side effect of naming David Tate as the killer is a change in focus and magnification for The Bridge. The ghost of the killer didn't just hang over the characters, it hung over the show itself. The heart of The Bridge was this wackjob's manifesto. When Marco and Sonya harped on and on about "everything is connected" for the first half of the season, it made sense on a macro level that made The Bridge unique. Everything was bigger than Marco and Sonya. The Bridge Butcher killed a judge that made controversial decisions in cases, he wanted to expose dirty cops, he wondered why hundreds of brown-skinned girls could die but one gringa gets her head cut off and everyone loses their shit. Now the connectivity is zoomed in on a micro level. Seducing Alma (and perhaps plotting to kill her, we'll see) has nothing to do with bordertown and cultural differences, it's about getting back at the guy who was indirectly responsible for the deaths of David Tate's wife and kids, not to mention the guy who was ram-rodding his wife. It's about "if I'm going to feel pain, I'm going to make others feel pain, too." It's a far cry from the lofty purpose we were led to believe was his initial motive, which formed the backbone of The Bridge. When David Tate killed Santi Jr. with the worst men's bathroom conversation ever, he also killed a lot of the thematic essence of The Bridge

A lot of these previous paragraphs may sound like the expansiveness of The Bridge is lost, and on an immediate level, that's true. But the series still has plenty of ideas working outside of the case to retain a broader look at border problems. We still have Charlotte and her love tunnel, Ray playing the part of dumb white guy who thinks he can reach into Mexico's criminal cookie jar without getting caught, Galvan as everybody's nightmare (literally for Linder), and–thank god–the adventures of Linder the wayward mush mouth. But with the case taking priority in "Vendetta," none of these stories moved forward a whole lot. 

Those guns that Ray wanted from his buddy Tim? They arrived. And yes, they were bugged, as Graciela found out. Charlotte is only now having second thoughts on bringing Ray back into her life and letting him manage the business, even after we all waved our arms and tried to warn her. Charlotte isn't exactly a smart one. Adriana went to a party, but she's still a lesbian. And Linder, who I usually love to spend a whole paragraph on, was having wet dreams about sexy Latinas who need rescuing that get interrupted by Galvan's evil grin. However, I'm betting those are some of Linder's more normal dreams, if his bizarre lifestyle is any indication. All this confusion caused Linder to take an unannounced sabbatical from his job, leaving poor old Darcy to work an unexpected double. A lot of these sidestories were pretty straight forward in "Vendetta," and try as I might, I couldn't find anything surprising or of particular importance in them. We're just moving the chains here.

"Vendetta" was a critical episode of The Bridge as far as the main case was concerned. We have ourselves a killer! But his motive seemed to change, and it was that motive that drew me to him in the first place. I'm trying to look into the future and get an idea of how we'll all look back on The Bridge when Season 1 is finished. I'm foreseeing a series that ambled through a sometimes clumsy first season but also showed triumphant moments of stepping out of a well-worn genre. Lots of growing pains but lots of potential as well, an idea summed up with "Vendetta."

THE BORDER BETWEEN THE STORY AND THE NOTES

– I loved the opening scene with Daniel partying it up in a strip club with Santi Jr., and fitting that piece into the overall puzzle later. But one question: why did Daniel look so interested in leaving the strip club when Santi Jr. drove off? He had some agenda going on that didn't involve snorting coke off a stripper's ass.

– Pretty theatrical vomiting there, Marco!

– I was catching up on Top of the Lake earlier this week, and would like everyone to know that you can see Linder's penis in it if you really wanted to know what was underneath those tighty whiteys. Just doing a public service announcement.

– As much as I enjoyed the pursuit of Jack Childress in "Destino," in hindsight it was all for show as he became a Red Herring. But at least The Bridge didn't drag it out and gave us plenty of reason to believe he wasn't The Bridge Butcher.

– Will someone buy Gus a copy of She's Just Not That Into You? Seeing him act out his schoolboy crush on Sonya is painful.

– All my talk about David Tate as the killer only applies if he's definitely the killer. He IS the killer, right? We've been misled before, but this one seems so concrete that it would take some form of voodoo or astronimical level of terrible television writing to be otherwise.

83 Comments
Comments (98)
Submit
Sort: Latest | Popular
Finally caught up. I was bored a few episodes in the beginning, but I do like this show overall. I don't think Tate is the main killer. He has reasons to kill Junior and to hate Marco, but I haven't seen anything that makes him care about the value of lives in Mexico vs those in Texas, or to have some kind of master plan in any of that. I sat through two too many seasons of The Killing, so I ain't buying it. Either way, I hope he doesn't get to kill Alma. Marco may or not deserve it, but I know *I* don't.

I know Ray's in trouble, but I don't think he's going to get as erased as I'd prefer, mostly because I'd prefer it. Both he and Charlotte are pretty stupid, and it seems hard for most shows to let go of stupid without a whole lot of bottom scraping. Even Graciela might have a hard time believing Ray's that stupid, so maybe she'll decide to let things play out a little longer than I'd like.

It's really old news by now, but Marco really disappointed me. I'd hoped that Marco was better than all the stereotypes: the corrupt, philandering manwhores that take anything that's offered to them, but it seems that he's only half-better than that. I'd originally thought of poor Alma as insecure, and I owed her an apology. Marco's not a great cop, not a great guy; he's just an 'ehh' human. Guess it's just an artistic license thing, but it's still disappointing. I wanted someone on this show to be awesome, but I'll have to hold out for Alma or Adriana.
More+
Flag
That guy was a total creep a zoid but no way did I think he was the killer. When he cut that icky guys throat my jaw dropped. I think this show has a lot of potential and I am really liking this show. Yes Gus and the Sonya thing ummm no. But the thing with nasty old Graciela that was a good one. That is one nasty old woman. The thing with mumbles Linder kept making me laugh..I love that guy...and yes Charlotte is one dumb bimbo.
Flag
There's one thing I still don't get: Tate faked his own death in Mexico (they cremated someone's body there) and then he killed Hastings (his body was buried in El Paso) and stole his identity. Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that add up to three bodies (two dead and one -the real Tate- alive)? How come he killed two people in order to steal one identity? Who's the body they cremated in Mexico?
Flag
I love revenge stories, especially the elaborate ones, but I felt a bit disappointed that The Bridge could be all about it. And honestly, isn't it strange that the reveal happened so soon? If it is what it is, I fear for the future episodes: I don't think I'll be able to stand it if this cat-and-mouse game drags for 5 episodes or if Alma is kidnapped, for example. I can't stand kidnappings on TV shows anymore! Plot- and drama-wise, it would be better if she got killed, not saved in the end. I have to admit that lots of pieces add up now, but at the same time, some don't, especially the reporter. That scene we see in the beginning of the episode is probably the moment when Santi Jr killed Tate's wife and child. Why didn't he get in the car? He was clearly pretending to be wasted. And I think Santi Jr. told the lady reporter that he didn't know Fry because maybe he didn't know Fry as Fry. I don't know, let's wait and see.
Flag
I really, really doubt he is "the" killer.. he might be an accomplice but not a the actual guy, it just doesn't make sense..
Flag
If Tate is the killer, there is no explanation how he is so informed about the police things, since he is no,longer in the force, nor "alive" for that matter.
Flag
The reveal was good. I did not guess he is the killer but now it really make sense. However with 5 episodes to go, I really wonder how the series is going to keep things interesting. I do hope the side stories will be a setup for season 2. I am guessing there is a season 2. I am really glad they did not do "the killing" on us where plots was really merry go round to make us believe someone else was the killer and they did a lot of that till many viewers were frustrated !

This continue to be one of my favorite show, not as good as The Americans but better than most shows on TV !
Flag
Pantalones, Pew pew pew
Flag
Wow ,wow Tim chill out , Don't let "The Bridge" fool you . Tate is a Killer but not THE killer . He is just a tool for THE killer to exact his plan. I Think Tate plans to Crush his Car on The Bridge , killing Him And Marco's Wife and unborn Child to sum up his Vendetta. That's why he left his Bloody fingerprints over the mirror as a final note. He Doesn't Care anymoreif he's discovered, his job is almost done and he plans to die. I Think that the mastermind is Daniel Fry . As a reporter , knew very well the injustises in the Borders , and i believe that he is not the cynical man that is depicted till now , but has more social sensitivities .Of course he is not in his right state of mind , so combine this two and you have an activist serial killer
Flag
Yes something smells very fishy with that guy...It just could be.
Flag
I was thinking the same, wtf is Fry's plan? It seemed to me like he was ACTING wasted and when Santo Jr drove off he was very tense all of a sudden...
Flag
Agreed, there was some other kind of angle there for sure.
Flag
I was in the Tim Cooper camp personally... boy, was I wrong there! That said, the confirmation of David Tate as the murderer wasn't the biggest surprise. A lot of savvy viewers placed their bet on him, and even as a believer in Cooper I had to admit that Tate (previously known as "creepy beard guy") was the only other plausible choice.

Still, not a bad episode. The show's tangled web of interlocking character relationships is becoming a lot clearer now; there's some interesting connections there. There's still some bits left unclear as well, like where wildcards such as Frye, Childress, and Linder fit into the mix (especially Linder).

I also find myself wondering just what the point of Charlotte and her plotline is... maybe it's just in service of the bridge "theme".
Flag
The episode should be called Revelations.
Flag
I'm thinking Tate might be another red haring, but that might be pushing things a little too far...

The Bridge still has my attention though... but Gus needs a headslap. She's way out of your league buddy.
Flag
Out of his league and twice his age. It might not even be legal (in Texas).
Flag
I think someone needs to buy Gus a copy of I touch myself to wear out his feelings - both sets.
Surely, Shirley, no surely, Marco should've been phoning Alma at the least after twigging the necklace pieces' significance?

"Hey babe, like may be you don't want to talk, but it's good to talk, just ask the telecoms or Sonja about her therapeutic tete-a-tetes with her sister's murderer. Any way. You know that el dodge guy? You know. The art exhibitionist killer. He's the cuckold. My bad. You remember. The dead woman and hubbie you knew about who you're still, and quite frankly, reasonably pissed over. And you're gonna laugh, I'm sure. Turns out he's not dead and is murdering peeps for not just political reasoning. Loco, No? Well, if you see a baldy, beardy perv in the locale of your hacienda or, mi Dios, person, give us a call. Spicy paella kisses. Despedida mi amor."

RIP Patrick Swayze.

Flag
I don't like Tate as The Killer but I do like him as revenge guy... but yeah I have to agree with Tim that killer with a big agenda was awesome and I miss him.
So Caesar wasn't in this episode :( he is the one who makes me interested in Charlotte who finally said: Dude I wanna be legit so stop doing what your doing and put on some tigth jeans... ok she didn't say the last part but it was obvious.
Sonya´s scene with Gus was great she was sooo uncomfortable and Gus awkward cause he still doesn' get the picture.
And was I the only one hoping to see Linder kill someone with his shoe? Maybe... but man that would have been awesome.

Flag
Also, I am waiting to see how Charlotte's story comes in contact (no pun there, I swear) with the rest of the narrative ... So far the tunnel storyline and the murders storyline are two completely different movies and I totally fail to see the connection...
And although Linder is aiming a little high, dreaming about the most beautiful woman ever, calling him king, I really do wish he gets a date some fine day.
Flag

The first time (ep 6) they showed the sketch of the killer's eyes, I instantly recognized them as Hastings's/Tate's. Especially the corner of his left eye in the sketch matches. Now, is he the mastermind behind all the kills or just the killer's assistant, that's another matter. But I'm fairly confident that he is in fact the killer. As Ted Levine said in an article which was linked in the community: "He's much more of a Hannibal Lecter than he is a Jame Gumb". Tate definitely fits that description.
Flag
The thing is, Fausto was working with Walter White in the meth business, and because of that Hank is looking for him. And Tate is obviously a serial killer who once was a patient of Dr. Vogel, but even though Tate killed Santi Jr., who was a killer, he's a bad serial killer, not a good one like Dexter, because Dexter is nice and good-looking and Tate is creepy. And Linder is deceptively creepy, but deep inside a nice guy. And even deeper he might be a creep after all. In the end I think they'll all use the tunnel to mexico to escape the Dome.

Flag
And Hannibal was the real killer from the very beginning, killing all these people because they were rude and/or delicious
Flag
killing all these people because they were delicious ahahahah
Flag
And this is why binge watching many shows at the same time is not recommended. On the other hand, the story you see in your head right now is probably much better than any of the shows individually.
Flag
You're so right about binge watching. But hey, at least i have a legitimate excuse I tell everybody. It's the only way i have to keep my English up-to-date. So, as Walter White would say, it behooves me to keep watching. And tread lightly, my friend!
Flag
LMAO.
Flag
My advice to Gus: keep trying. One day you'll melt that block of ice.
Flag
No need to melt it, when she needs she just asks.
Flag
Yeah, but the issue is making her realize she needs it, even if a man has to climb an iceberg. That's man's oldest and most rewarding challenge.
Flag
I knew he was the killer since the episode where the girl, who was later murdered by him, was giving the sketch artist her description of him. Before she died she told Sonja and Marco it was the eyes she remembered most, which is all the artist was able to get from her. They showed the sketch one more time before the episode ended, and that's when I knew!!
Flag
of course she couldnt remember more of his face . there is just a massive beard
Flag
There was a point during the run of the season, that I questioned how sincere the killer's political message killer was, because it made no sense to me. The murders, how they were connected and the content of the political message. No sense at all. It was a relief for me to see why it didn't make sense. It didn't, because there was no real political message or, at least, not one with depth. Tate probably has some issues with how the murders on both parts of the bridge are handled, but obviously his agenda was personal and the political message was a red herring for the cops.

I think the reveal played out well enough.
Flag
Best episode and I'm sold.
Flag
I'd like to point out one very important development in this episode, the rational, facts only, Sonya had a gut feeling and followed it through to finally get the great reveal of Tate as the Killer. I think she deserves a big round of applause to have gone so far from her comfort zone and achieved so much. Even after that guy called her the " village idiot savant".
Flag
Yeah he needs to get his face blown up too.
Flag
At this point, I don't have much sympathy for Alma. She has been pursuing Tate. She is the one who ultimately seduced him, not the other way around. She is having as full blown affair while practically spitting in Marco's face every time she sees him for his act of infidelity (agreed, he was an idiot for letting Charlotte the Harlot seduce him). Alma is a hypocrite. If it weren't for the fact she's carrying Marco's child (I am assuming it's his), Tate killing Alma would not be all that tragic. If Marco is able to save his wife from her new lover, he should stop begging her to take him back and quickly get a divorce.
Flag
You seem to forget the fact that Marco cheated on her several time that's mainly the reason she gave him the boot.
Flag
times*
Flag
I am pretty sure Daniel killed David Tate's family - that was why he wanted drugs but didn't want to go back to Juarez that night 6 years ago and I that was what Santi Jr.was trying to say when Tate killed him
Flag
??? Why would you stick around if you killed people in a hit and run? Wouldn't you leave El Paso and never look back?
Flag
Well he was pretty coked up and Jr. was definitely trying to tell David something
Flag
not if you are a prick the size he is.
Flag
That's a good possibility and we'll have to see if this pans out :-)
Flag
I thought it was pretty well played out. Obviously Tate is with Marco's wife solely for revenge purposes (and getting nookie out of can't hurt!), and at the same time he's removing.... ahem... the 'bridges' that have been haunting him about the death of his wife and child (and her infidelity). Obviously the handprint, the murder, and the part of the necklace left behind were meant as a message for Marco, and it sure seems he got it.

Some genius play going on in the scripting.
Flag
So, I've been thinking of this, I actually think if we had spent a little more time with Jackson where he spouted off the actual origin of the political speech making the killer did, it would have made us start to look at other things. Like, I am guessing the judge was entirely a red herring, like he killed her just to distract from the real motives? I assume his plan is to kill Alma, now especially that he found out she was pregnant (meaning Gus is likely safe) because it would seem appropriate that he take exactly away from Marco what Marco was going to take from him.
Flag
The judge gave Santi, Jr a slap on the hand when he came to court for that drunk driving that killed Tate's wife.
Flag
Ah...I didn't catch that. Sadly, I actually thought starting the murders with that and having it be unrelated would have worked but then, I guess, he doesn't care if he is caught. Later I started to wonder, the guy he was posing as, wasn't he a crazy guy like Jackson too? I wonder how he got into the registrar's office wherever it is he and Alma work and Gus goes to school.
Flag
I gather he faked everything including diplomas , bank accounts and all that using his FBI connections and know-how. Also, Marco had this relationship with Tate's wife several years before he was married to his second wife. Also, it is a rather a received fact that serial killers that perdure are always refered to by neighbours and friends as that nice guy etc....so that Tate can obviously hide his craziness.
Flag
Once picking my jaw up off the floor, I started thinking about Hastings/Tate as THE killer...and my head started to hurt. In part trying to piece together everything that's happened and in part just trying to remember everything that's happened. I understand him taking out Jr in the men's room. I understand him wanting to bang Alma. And I understand his wanting to do bad bad things to Marco...eventually. That's pretty much where my understanding stops.

So, Hastings/Tate went over the edge and is all about getting revenge on those he feels are responsible in the death of his wife and kid? Got it. So, what exactly did half a lady judge, half a Mexican girl and an entire convoy of illegals trying to cross the border have to do with anything? Was the shrink's advice so bad that he needed his tongue pulled through his throat? What's the tie in to pig roasting another innocent girl in the desert? As a diversion so that he could get to Gedman because he slept with prostitutes? I'm not sure if I'm buying that. Other than publicity, I have no idea why Daniel, if he's doing him a favour by giving him the story or if he's mid way through a long con too.

This all seems like a MASSIVE amount of work for it to just be distractionary. But, if this was indeed the plan the whole time, does that mean that the bodies on the bridge were just a ploy to get Marco to join a US/Mexico task force and get him away from his wife? Was seducing Alma just an opportunity taken after Marco cheated again? Or, dare I ask, did Hastings/Tate cause a heart attack in Karl Millwright's chest knowing that the ambulance would have to cross through the crime scene, that Marco would allow it but create friction with Sonja, forcing her to file a complaint that Marco would have to visit Charlotte to deal with and knowing that, in addition to greiving, she's just the right amount of classy and the right amount of slutty, Marco would be powerless to resist and thus create an opportunity for Hastings/Tate to initiate "operation bang the wife of the guy who banged mine"? {DEEP breath} Then he'd have to know about Marco's trick pocket that drops his wallet and that Sonja, being who she is, would drop a dime on him inadvertently.

Yup, my head hurts, but, I'm thinking more and more that Hastings/Tate, while a total psycho, has absolutely nothing to do with the larger overall plot of the serial killer. He's a disgruntled FBI agent with an axe to grind against a few select people.

OR, I'm completely wrong. {shrug}
More+
Flag
The half of the Mexican girl on the bridge? She was a victim of a murder that Marco helped to cover up. She ties Marco into the Bridge Killer from the gitgo. However, I'm a bit confused about the illegals in the desert as well, unless it was done to direct the EPPD's attention to Linder (they died very close to Linder's trailer.)

Meanwhile, the deputy's epiphany from last week? I'll bet it was that all other things being equal, the bridge was the killer's purpose. The killer was starting where he started, where he became who he is now.
Flag
Okay, my friend here goes:
1.the judge let Santi Jr go with a slap on the hand because she was corrupt and made a favor to daddy by getting the son out,Ha[[ens every single day all over the world. Unless we are willing to begin a global revolucion.
2. Geldman killed the Mexican prostitute and got away with it, like Santi Jr. In the crazy mind of Tate, there is a link of people getting away with murder.
3.The entire convoy of illegals was to direct the inquiry towards Childress. He's insane that way.
4.The shrink knew his identity, so toungue out. He wanted his identity to be revealed at a specific time. It is strange that this coincided with Sonya's discovery which he can't be aware of. Unless.....
5.Daniel was the journalist who covered the incident and was probably his adorable rotten callous self and it kind of transpired in his column.
6.He knew of Marco's wallet issue because he worked with him and they were kind of best pals, until Marco stole his wife. The pendant Marco saw which caused him to puke is that he realized that Tate knew all along his identity as Es Latino Lover.
7.All the great revenge masterpieces are extremely elaborate, Hamlet, the Count of Monte Cristo, and others.
I hope your head is feeling better now.

More +
Flag
Sign me up for la revolucion!
And thanks for the sum-up, very appreciated, I had my problems with Tate/Hasting's complete agenda too.
Flag
Thanks Kerkesh, all pretty reasonable theories.

1. Maybe a misinterpretation on my part, but I presumed Tate's wife was killed on the Mexico side since they mentioned she was on her way to Marco when the accident happened. I suppose she could have come across Santi Jr after he'd crossed.
2. Right, but for me, this is where it strays from revenge to vigilante...I hope that's not the case.
3. This is where things fall apart for me. The day after Childress is arrested, he kills Santi Jr and leaves his hand print? I'm not seeing how killing 10 people to give him an extra day's anonymity that he wouldn't have needed since his name on Childress' arrest reports is what pointed Sonja in his direction in the first place
4. I thought the shrink was killed because he was selling prescription drugs on the side, hence, the cartel'esque Colombian necktie
5. Presuming #1 is true, I'll buy that
6. Not quite sure I'm buying that either, unless Marco gets exceptionally long wear out of his jeans. They would have been pretty old when they were friends, 5 years earlier.
7. The details of #6 aside, that would require a Kreskin level of foresight. I'm all for elaborate revenge masterpieces, but counting on human behaviour, especially of people you don't know...that's a bit of a stretch for me

It could be exactly as you say and I'm in for a big disappointment. But, until then, I'm going with my alternate theory.

And yes, my head is feeling better thanks...or, at least it was
More +
Flag
1.She was killed on the bridge, which is the point of the series's vendetta. At least this seems the plausible answer to that. From what I got Tate said to Santi Jr that his car rammed his wive's from behind and somehow derailed it.We'll have to listen to that again.
2. It's a matter of definition. It's vigilante when one's revenge is towards a category of people ( drug dealers, pimps etc...) and vendetta when it's against specific people. As motives go, I think they are extremely similar.
3. you are absolutely right on that point. somewhere else here I make the point that it is just too coincidental that he reveals openly his identity almost as Sonya guesses it. Childress is definetly a folcrum in this season's plot. I cannot spoil it for you, but in Bron there is an explanation given, but this might not be the way this version is going. what I mean is that it should not be a loose end.
4. I think this was a diversion. But your take is as equally valid.
5.Well, the fact that Santi Jr denied knowing Stiles when "confronted" by his female colleague kind of nudges that this is the incident which made them part ways. Also, I think that Stiles faked being that wasted when we first see they in the "six years ago " scene, in view of the way he walked away at its end.
6-7.. Normally, I would side with you on that point. My exception is that Tate is extremely well documented, and in the case of Childress has been "stalking" him obviously for some time. Really, what he was counting on, and was right, is not so much their behavior now, but the fact that they all forgot the incident that unites them.
This is a discussion and your alternate theory is as valid and interesting to me and worth considering.
I really do not want you to be disappointed. So I am crossing my fingers.
More +
Flag
I have the same issues with the resolution as you have (see my short post below).
I think the most likely explanation at this point is that the judge, Gedman, the shrink were all part of the trial and investigation which resulted in the murderer getting away. Or maybe there was no trial and investigation because noone cared "since his wife was a Latino"? If noone actually cared for her death, his political message is actually real and all the killings have only been distractions as a nice side effect. I think this theory kinda makes the most sense since it explains all his murders.

The only thing I'm not certain of is Childress' role in all of this. Maybe the killer seriously wanted them to catch him since he is a xhenophobic racist scumbag. But he'd know that they might catch on to him by Childress. Or was he just sloppy, thinking that the investigation would stop once they got someone to blame the murders for?
Flag
Agreed. I'm not seeing the point of Childress. If they don't catch him, then nobody starts looking for him. And seeing as how he stopped hiding with his hand print after killing Junior, I'm not seeing what's gained.
Flag
Childress is the real thing: a Marxist revolutionary who has been trying to bring a political slant to the way thatbbusiness and politics are done on that specific frontier , hence his answer :dialectics, when asked why he did all that he did.Plus he is insane, which is the perfect patsy.
Flag
I feel like if I had been more invested in the show I would probably have seen this coming. Why was he around fairly often, right? But alas, I'd been watching this pretty lazily so I was certainly caught off guard. Cool twist, show. But yeah, I'm not too sure if I like the new purpose of his kills.
Flag
Who are those 2 on the right side of the Wallpaper picture in the Backround? They are not in the Bridge ?
Flag
What picture are you talking about (and how does DavidJackson8 know what you're talking about)?
Flag
Hehe, I wasn't sure at first, but then I assumed he was talking about the background of this page (and the rest of The Bridge Community).
Flag
Ah, didn´t know that ! Thanks !
Flag
Haha, I just noticed that.

I believe they're the leads in the original Scandinavian version of The Bridge.
Flag
This comment has been removed.
Flag
The way I see it, the whole political agenda itself was a big red herring to distract the investigators from his personal agenda? Then again, it's questionable if the effort of killing dozens (!) of people is really worth it to get back to 2-3 people. It doesn't add up, to be honest. Or (which is more likely), his wife was a Latina and her death was never really investigated. David Tate then got obsessed with that, leading to the political murders as part of his agenda. Seen that way, there was never really a red herring (except for Childress maybe).

That being said, I agree with everything you said in your review. I've got mixed feelings about the reveal as it certainly takes away the "grand scheme of things" but also leaves plenty room for straight forward storytelling for the remaining episodes. I just hope the Killer's actions will make sense in the end.
Flag
I am not totally convinced that David Tate is the bridge body bi-secting killer. His agenda is all wrong. But if he is, what an anti-climax for the murderer hunt El Paso/Juarez PD has been engaged in. Or maybe not, since he has Marco's wife and he apparently wants to broadcast it to the world that "hands up, I'm it". We'll see.
Thank God for Ray supplying a vital dose of humor for this story. What a klutz. Did he even open the crates before he lugged them through the tunnel for Graciella? He even appeared abit teary-eyed when Graciella turned down the opportunity for him to provide another episode of mouth-to-crotch re-sex-citation. I guess ol' Ray ain't the oral stud he imagined himself.
I have to disagree w/ the Timster concerning Gus's schoolboy crush on Sonya. Their interaction on this segment seemed to show that Sonja can behave almost "normal" at times. And if Gus can have this type of affect on Little Miss Asperger, she might just look him up the next time she starts her crotch grabbing self-foreplay.
Daniel sure has turned into a dud. Bring back his drug induced, liqour swigging, hetero-debauchery self-indulgent self to make his character interesting (and funny) again. Currently he comes across as more of a writer's afterthought. "Oh yeah, we forgot to write any lines for Daniel this week. Let's give him a scene where he isn't doing anything except babbling about how he can't do anything".
Charlotte's air time was so short this week if you blinked, you could have missed her.
All in all, a good show. You can't have a whirlwind of activity like last week's program every episode.
More+
Flag
Ray is soooo dead, I think he's gonna be the deadest thing this season after the transponder devices where found. Boy, i am looking at how Medieval the Mexicans are going to go on him.
His asking if he has to go down on the conchita was so Miley Cyrus :-)
Flag
I thought Ray would be dead since the very minute Charlotte told him about the tunnel- he's too of a moron to be kept alive! I hope he dies horribly.
Flag
I think that's how she is going to take down Ray. After he swims down there he'll find that she has a bear trap waiting on him!
Flag
LMAO
Flag
I'm torn on what this means for the show as a whole. The reveal was totally unexpected and had an impact, we got the answer we wanted all along. But you're right, Tim, it somehow destroyed the image I had of what this show wants to be.
I don't think I like it less now though. Last week I agreed with everybody saying it's not about finding the killer, it's about the journey and the setting etc. And I'm positive that's why they revealed his identity so early on. The show is still not about finding the killer. It's about Marco and Sonya and (sadly) Charlotte/Ray and all those other characters dealing with life.
Flag
I agree identifying the killer as someone on a personal vendetta is slightly disappointing as it takes some of the grandeur away from the previous killings. However it wasn't all just misdirection. The killer needed some people in play and this was the way to do it. Also misdirection is good a way to keep people off your trail if you have bigger things in mind.

The Bridge is still one of the more interesting shows on tv nowadays. And I'm looking forward to see what the following episodes will bring.
Flag
Now that the big reveal has happened, I reckon a lotta ways this version fits together better than Brön which also threw out lotsa political excuses for murder. I seem to remember one policeman saying something like "Doesn't this guy get it - we're not a Maoist backwater any longer' or somesuch, but even so the iniquities the murderer emphasised in Brön just didn't have the bite of life in Juarez.
Cut it any way you like, living in Denmark or Sweden can get tough but really even life in El Paso is a deal less forgiving than either Denmark or Sweden - let alone tryin to get by in Juarez.
The political scam/diversion/excuse had more bite than the original & it did a better job of illustrating how people use distant seemingly idealistic motives to cover for base personal crimes.

Blaming 'the world/society/the system' when you kill yer wife's lover is hardly uncommon in real life, even if most TV shows like to keep motives simple enough for us dummies to understand.
Good on the bridge for trusting their audience.
Flag
Wow... Tim, you wrote my feelings down. That's exactly how I felt after I learned the identity of the killer. I thought he had a much bigger and elaborate agenda, but now I realize it's always been personal. The show took a big risk and it is clearly now it is taking a different course. Great article.
Flag
Well, Tim, you were totally on the spot with the whole adultery issues: this whole series wasn't about politics at all. it was just good old-fashioned sexy screw ups. "You are the man across the Bridge."
Flag
I wasn't surprised by the killer's identity, but I missed something in this episode: what turned Sonya on to Kenneth Hastings? Why was she looking at his picture on the computer?

By the way, I appreciated the nod to the real-life "Fast and the Furious" operation, in which the ATF loses track of a bunch of assault weapons it lets informant gun traffickers sell to Mexico.
Flag
"I missed something in this episode: what turned Sonya on to Kenneth Hastings? Why was she looking at his picture on the computer?"

Kenneth Hastings was the dead guy at Childress' house. She was just looking him up to find out more about who he was. What she found was a current driver's licence with a photo of David Tate, the idea being that David Tate had stolen Hastings' identity after faking his own death.
Flag
Kenneth Hastings was the one buried under the cement at Jack Childress's house. After it was confirmed it were his remains she looked him up in the system, found out he was still alive and even had a drivers license and then showed that picture to Marco who recognised him as David.
Flag
Thanks!
Flag
Frankly, I had hoped that The Bridge would not follow so completely Bron, the Scandinavian original. So, in a way I knew who the killer was and hoped he wasn't . Now it seems that I will have to walk on eggs through the rest of the season not to spoil, even inadvertently, my friends of the community.So I am saying this now, because I am a human being after all, read my comments with a grain of salt from now on.
That being said, we still have all the subplots that belong specifically to the American version and Tim did a great job in his review to spell them out.
One has to understand that the great appeal of The Bridge is that it is a kinetic thriller, once the partnership between Sonya and Marco was enshrined, the whole red herrings murders now begin to make sense, Even if it is not a noble serial killer a la Dexter, which is the culprit, but a more down to earth vendetta, I disagree with Tim that this makes it any less a major trope, as far as thrillers go. Let us not forget that some of the world's greatest masterpieces are elaborate revenge novels, I can think of The Count of Monte Cristo (where by the way an ancestor of mine is mentioned) and A Cask of Armadillo or Hamlet just on the top of my mind.
As revenge series go, this is one of the best. What makes it work so good is that it incorporates and shows the limits of the rational mind. Sonya, who is maybe one of the most rational minds since Sherlock Holmes, cannot fathom the truth, unless something will veer her towards the right killer. She has to work with what she has, all the red herrings, and it will be interesting to see how she will accept the reality of the murders when they will reveal.
Marcos, who is a a more flexible individual, a more savvy man , extremely immersed in the environment of the Bridge is also blind-sided, but it is what Tim refered to as the "macro" level of the investigation that makes the elaboration too clear for him. In fact, in making the main plot, in part about Marco and a revenge vendetta against him shows how when someone is too close to a reality, they can miss it completely.
Now. we understand why we are so engrossed with that particular team of investigators.
More later.

More+
Flag
I have purposely avoided watching Bron , at least until The Bridge completes its run. I don't know the status of whether this show will have a 2nd season since initially I read this was a one 13 episode series. Excellent reflection of this show in your comments!
Flag
On hindsight, I agree with your position. I shouldn't have watched Bron. I hope I will learn of this mistake. I feel the great success of this season which is better than The Killing's first season was ,warrants a second season. But you are right, there is no official word as yet. Thank you for the kind words. :-)
Flag
Tim, this was who I thought it was last week when I commented. He was thrown into the show a couple of episodes in and never really introduced and the eye sketch gave it away.
Flag
Me watching shows like Pretty Little Liars gets me expecting to be jerked around for three and a half seasons and then when I get answers, it's still a question mark.

Unlike this show, which gave us BIG ANSWERS in the eighth episode. Holy crap, I love how so many of the plots dovetailed together. The Charlotte and Linder ones are still kind of on their own but I have faith that they'll eventually matter.
Flag
Follow this Show
Members