The Buzz on Maggie

Disney Channel (ended 2006)

gideonbernstein

The Buzz on Maggie Fan Reviews (88)

• I know no one will read this - but it had to be said...

This show has to be a huge-as-all-get-out low for cartoons made by Disney... This also has to be what could be possibly the worst thing made by Disney's TV animation unit, if not (one of) the worst Western cartoon(s) I have ever seen.

It's haunted me for 7 years now. I hate it that much.

I know shows like Kick Buttowski, T.U.F.F. Puppy, and Jimmy Two-Shoes (to name examples of shows I actually like that are unfortunately heavily flawed BTW, nonetheless) get their fair share of (usually deserved when they do something wrong, but not always) flack - but trust me... THIS IS JUST...FAIL!

I mean, if it's not the premise being trashy, stupid, and insulting to the core audience (Teen angst/comedy/drama... lived through something that dies faster than humans on a daily basis like insects in a garbage heap facility?! WTF!), it's other things. But where do I even begin?

Despite advertising/publicity, which there was barely any of either (due to Disney knowing this showing was ironically what the setting for this noise was), it's not a teen angst/drama/comedy, nor does it work as one. There's no humor. There's no plotting. There's no effort to tell a coherent story or give us reason to relate to or like the characters therein. Stuff just happens in this show to advance BS/Potty humor. And seeing as it's just that (BS/Potty humor), this makes it badly written, forced, and insulting to the very viewers this show is trying to reach out to. No one deserves this, especially not kids (who we know can handle this shit and are much smarter/resourceful than what most American (And Canadian) adults are leading themselves to stupidly/insultingly think...

These failings are only intensified by the main characters, especially our titular one here, Maggie. Her character is terribly written. She is obnoxious, shallow, disrespectful, and a jerk to everyone who actually cares about her. Our main protagonist, everyone!

And don't get me started on how useless everyone else is to talk about. In fact I hate them so much, their names aren't worth knowing or remembering:

The parents of Maggie: Your basic example of why I hate Far-Right Wing/Highly Conservative American parents! Overprotective, out of touch with the real world, and no understanding of how to let their kids grow proper, nor discipline them proper when they know they're kids are wrong.

The Big Brother: Your typical jock/bully-level a-hole. Gets more love and attention than deserved for being good at BS that won't matter in any other profession...

The Little Brother: Probably the only character I like, but only because I felt sorry for him. He's treated like tras (the setting, ironically, where this show should have STAYED, BTW) by everyone and never given a chance to shine or develop to make this show remotely worth anyone's time. A pity, really. He was, once again, the only character I felt sorry for. Then again, his voice actor sucked like everyone, so whatever!

The Friends and Best Friends/Classmates of Maggie : All stuck in equally bland/forgettable or lesser parts. Nothing to say beyond that.

The antagonists: Name them, know them, a\or see them - they all suck. But not in a way you'd expect, either. Which brings up my next point...

Somehow, and almost always, Maggie loses or suffers - whether deserved (which is almost always, seeing as she's so unlikable/unrelatable) or not (when she actually does something to make here seem likable or develop her character for the better). I hate shows that do this noise to their characters UNLESS DESERVED: The antagonists rarely get any comeuppance for making our so-called protagonist feel like trash when she actually does something right. At the same time, this makes Maggie too pathetic to root for or give a damn about.

Rarely does Maggie win in spades - when she does win or do the right thing, she always loses in one way or another (or worse, in more ways than one)! This is a major failing for this show beside the fact that Maggie is unlikable/unrelatable.

Even when the antagonists do get their comeuppance or are defeated effectively, Maggie gets it worse. Every Episode is like this!

And the writing (which is unoriginal, filled with BS/Potty-level jokes, and unnecessary cliches) reeks of after-school special/PSA-level BS, just to help this show fail all around at the end of the day.

I'm sorry - I'll stick with Regular Show if I want to see that, thank you very much. Why? Because at least the antagonists in that show (almost) always GET THEIR COMEUPPANCE OR GET DEFEATED WHEN DESERVED (and not always just by our main protagonists for that show, which makes it even better!").

TL;DR - Here's the real sinker for this show: Disney really thought they could replace Kim Possible (one of Disney's all time best TV-animation series efforts, BTW) with THIS. This cheaply/ugly, Flash (misutilized)- animated, half-baked excuse for 21 (2-segment) episodes of poorly written PSAs I could get off of Local TV for nothing lost (nor gained, because who listens to PSAs, anyway?). How foolish Disney was ( and still unfortunately, is!)!!

What am I saying Basically? This show is an absolute disgrace. Those who made it should be totally ashamed of themselves, just as I am for having watched it...

The fact that I've been haunted by this for 7 years fills me with violent rage knowing that Dave Polsky (the a-hole behind it) got away with creating and staffing this BS (and certain episodes of MLP:FiM, which just like Regular Show, is of a lot more fun/entertaining/heartwarming to watch, BTW)!

Then again, the opening theme and setting were proof the only good thing about this show is that it was cancelled (After 21 full episodes, and it should not have even lasted even a fifth if 21 episodes (about 4 or 5 for the slow-witted) that long IMHO) with an unsatisfying, middle-finger-to-the-audience type of ending.

I hope I never meet him armed and thinking about this noise, that's for sure...

And me not cussing this noise out as much I'd love to... This is me being nice about it. This show deserves far worse than what I'm giving it here!

0.5 out of 10.