The Cape Forums

NBC (ended 2011)

Is this a joke?

ATLReppa770

[1]Jan 12, 2011
    • level: 3

Seriously, can ANYONE honestly tell me they're not watching this ONLY because of Summer Glau?

I don't think any of the acting is particularly bad. It's just .. Wow. The plot is terrible, the effects are cheesy and the only attack The Cape has is ... his cape.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kitanishi

[2]Jan 13, 2011
    • level: 9
    ATLReppa770 wrote:

Seriously, can ANYONE honestly tell me they're not watching this ONLY because of Summer Glau?

I don't think any of the acting is particularly bad. It's just .. Wow. The plot is terrible, the effects are cheesy and the only attack The Cape has is ... his cape.

well you missed the point of the show then.

Of course the effects are cheesy, of course the plot is unbelievable, of course characters are over-the-top. ITs like watching golden-age heroes of comics(when you had plots like "Captain America fights an evil communist giant mutant eel with a lens) adapted and thats why its awesome.

It does not have that dark, dirty and edgy feel superhero shows and comics started to have. It has the old feel of superhero genre and thats why at least for me it feels fresh and unique in today's gritty times of gritty dialogue, blood and revenge-filled-deep-voiced-batmen.

ATLReppa770

[3]Jan 13, 2011
    Kitanishi wrote:
    ATLReppa770 wrote:

Of course the effects are cheesy, of course the plot is unbelievable, of course characters are over-the-top. ITs like watching golden-age heroes of comics(when you had plots like "Captain America fights an evil communist giant mutant eel with a lens) adapted and thats why its awesome.

It does not have that dark, dirty and edgy feel superhero shows and comics started to have. It has the old feel of superhero genre and thats why at least for me it feels fresh and unique in today's gritty times of gritty dialogue, blood and revenge-filled-deep-voiced-batmen.

And, so it's entertaining to see some guy throw numerous people halfway across rooms with just the whip of his cape?

chaznet

[4]Jan 13, 2011
    • level: 11
    The premise isn't all that bad, but the implementation of it is horrible. They need new actors for the mother, the son, and the cape-guy, they're all mis-cast. Worst child actor I've ever seen in a prime-time series.

Kitanishi

[5]Jan 14, 2011
    ATLReppa770 wrote:
    Kitanishi wrote:
    ATLReppa770 wrote:

And, so it's entertaining to see some guy throw numerous people halfway across rooms with just the whip of his cape?

Erm yes it is in this age of comic books, yes it is.

THe show could have added the stylized sound effect words to it too (KAPOW) and would have gotten away with it because of its style.

I expect Cape to face communist generals, overpowered foreign villains, not kill even one villain and continue thwarting ridiculous plans of Chess one after another till we learn more about the whole Tarot Organisation or SIREN.

xanderodell

[6]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 14
    ATLReppa770 wrote:

agree with everything except the cape thing was kinda cool. notice I said was? coz if they don't do a huge episode to develop the characters and story better. (and fire the kid and hire some other kid who can act better) they're going to lose viewers and the show.

and it doesn't help that the Cancellation Magnet is on the show aka Summer Glau. don't believe me? Firefly, Terminator, Dollhouse... should I go on? =P

xanderodell

[7]Jan 14, 2011
    and can somebody tell me what this CHECK IN thing is near all the titles of the tv shows. when you click it, the number changes and the words check in turns into a big blue check mark without any further explaination. for all we know this check in thing could be funding terrorist. "pushed check in button.. thank you! you have now donated $1 to the suicide bombers club" toinks!

its not in the forums, its not explained by email or FAQS, and nobody seems to be curious about it. its like, oh there's an elephant in the room, turn on the tv. click.

what is it?

hueyf

[8]Jan 14, 2011
    • level: 6

Yeah, Summer Glau is sexy

ATLReppa770

[9]Jan 14, 2011
    xanderodell wrote:
    ATLReppa770 wrote:

agree with everything except the cape thing was kinda cool. notice I said was? coz if they don't do a huge episode to develop the characters and story better. (and fire the kid and hire some other kid who can act better) they're going to lose viewers and the show.

and it doesn't help that the Cancellation Magnet is on the show aka Summer Glau. don't believe me? Firefly, Terminator, Dollhouse... should I go on? =P

Wait a second. Don't blame Summer for all those cancellations. She did an AMAZING job in Terminator and Firefly (never saw her in Dollhouse). And almost EVERYONE agrees those shows getting canceled were a terrible idea (except Dollhouse). _When_ this show gets canceled, it _won't_ be because of Summer, it'll be because of the plot and other members of the cast.

jack756

[10]Jan 14, 2011

im i missing something why is everyone think that any1 dat like this show think we watch b.c of summer glau..im not 1 of those ppl ...im not a fan of summer but the reason i watch this show and like it is b.c its like a real comic book come to life(i mean i love smallville and that show can be chesier than the cape.so why make a big deal bout the cape, smallville making it work, they got 10 seasons that can be the cape in a couple of years),i love david character b.c his character so cool and he kick butt and i like summer alittle as his sidekick b.c david and summer have chemistry,i love the special effects andcan i say this show has alot of potentail to become something.i also like it b.c its very campy but im not watching b.c of summer

Edited on 01/14/2011 10:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

FoxMulder27

[11]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 5

jack756 wrote:

im i missing something why is everyone think that any1 dat like this show think we watch b.c of summer glau..im not 1 of those ppl ...im not a fan of summer but the reason i watch this show and like it is b.c its like a real comic book come to life(i mean i love smallville and that show can be chesier than the cape.so why make a big deal bout the cape, smallville making it work, they got 10 seasons that can be the cape in a couple of years),i love david character b.c his character so cool and he kick butt and i like summer alittle as his sidekick b.c david and summer have chemistry,i love the special effects andcan i say this show has alot of potentail to become something.i also like it b.c its very campy but im not watching b.c of summer

Sorry, but you can´t seriously believe what you write. There is no way to compare Smallville with this crappy show. SV for example has a good cast better effects and for the most important a good story (most of the time) . Also I can´t see any "chemistry" at all. I loved Summer in Terminator and Firefly but that´s not an excuse for playing the role as "The Capes sidekick" so awful. This show is to be canceled real soon.

*Boooom* *Baaang*

ATLReppa770

[12]Jan 15, 2011
    FoxMulder27 wrote:

jack756 wrote:

Sorry, but you can´t seriously believe what you write. There is no way to compare Smallville with this crappy show. SV for example has a good cast better effects and for the most important a good story (most of the time) . Also I can´t see any "chemistry" at all. I loved Summer in Terminator and Firefly but that´s not an excuse for playing the role as "The Capes sidekick" so awful. This show is to be canceled real soon.

*Boooom* *Baaang*

I don't think she's doing a bad job as his assistant or helper. It IS different and sort of strange to not see her acting as a Terminator, but that's fine. I can see her as this role.

As for Smallville, I've never seen it, so I can't speak on that comparison. If it wasn't for Summer, I really think the views would be much lower. That's how I feel.

dakat69

[13]Jan 15, 2011
    • level: 2

I agree with the cheese factor. This is an example of a show that's ok if you're eleven years old and under. Yes, I watched to catch Summer Glau. She's capable of so much more than this that it's a shame to see her talents wasted. I also agree with those who say that the boy is miscast, although there are some interesting villains and the circus bunch is intriguing. Perhaps it's the Faraday family itself, the fact that I don't care about them, that makes it hard to accept that The Cape's emotional investment in them runs so deep. We'll see where it goes, but I don't hold out a lot of hope for this one; better shows have been canceled.

Kitanishi

[14]Jan 15, 2011
    FoxMulder27 wrote:

*Boooom* *Baaang*

Smallvile also is a generic teen drama that turned the man of steel into a whining teenager who can't even fly or wear a blue spandex because le gasp, it would thwart the serious gritty realism.

Its not a gritty and sulking batman, it snot a superman who wants to be "normal" and date girls from his school. Its not "heroes" who just want to lead normal lives and work as paramedics. Its not some spiderman guy who spends more time romancing a girl and sulking over his secret than kicking villain butts.

It is geeky, nerdy batman who would sprout idealistic ideas and travel withhis sidekick kid robin, it is a superman who goes around stopping nazi tanks while singing american anthem, its captain america who would fight a giant supercharged mutant eel the commies sent to new york, its also nerdy spiderman who , while still trying to balance his lives, finds time to beat villains and does not hold his powers as entirely a curse.

Its not gritty "serious" drama about ordinary people with superpowers, that shies away from much lauded comic book tropes, costumes and idealism, so it can be as realistic as possible.

What it is? It IS Campy, over-the-top, overly stylized show that embraces the comic book genre in its entirety without trying to make it into something its not. It does not fear to make character wear ridiculous outfits and masks or make themain character uphold his no-kill policy no matter what. Its a show that does not fear to use cheesy overly heroic orchestral score with character facing in its all spandex-y glory. I fully expect cape to fight over-the-top communist enerals/criminals, themed-masked-villains and other things. But this show also KNOWS what he is. And it goes accordingly, and then there are those bits and peaces that signify an overarching plot that is yet to develop, carefully hidden in the show(does main character have multiple personality disorder? What is "SIREN"? and so on) And in that sense its unique

dakat69 wrote:

I agree with the cheese factor. This is an example of a show that's ok if you're eleven years old and under.

I would not call it "cheesy". "campy" is a more fitting word (Think that awesome Batman tv show from 60's).

The age argument is...weak. I'd say that it takes a lot more age to appreciate this than some show that is full of pew pews, violence, sex and brutality.

A lot of people enjoy campy stuff and the tv lacks it very much so nowadays, not to mention that overall comic book genre is dieing from the dark and gritty modifications(tv show authors shying away from costumes and "nicknames" and so on). Its very refreshing and nice to see a show that does not try to hide the fact that its a comic book.

jack756

[15]Jan 17, 2011
    FoxMulder27 wrote:

jack756 wrote:

*Boooom* *Baaang*

i believe everthing i wrote.im a fan of smallville and im not the only fan who thinks smallville can be cheesy.i mean lets get real smallville isnt a great show but its still on b.c the writers know how to balance the cheesy eps with great ones.but i like the cape and i think with more seasons it can be better than smallville.the cape has a campy feel that smallville dont havei like the cape

ATLReppa770

[16]Jan 17, 2011
    jack756 wrote:
    FoxMulder27 wrote:

jack756 wrote:

*Boooom* *Baaang*

i believe everthing i wrote.im a fan of smallville and im not the only fan who thinks smallville can be cheesy.i mean lets get real smallville isnt a great show but its still on b.c the writers know how to balance the cheesy eps with great ones.but i like the cape and i think with more seasons it can be better than smallville.the cape has a campy feel that smallville dont havei like the cape

.. Wow. I'm not sure if you realize you said Smallville is _NOT_ a great show, but yet it still has great episodes. Yes .. You said that.

ScarletPanda

[17]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 7
    This show had potential. Alot of elements that if executed properly could have made something great of The Cape. However, every resource the show has, has been squandered. They've given away a season's worth of plot points in one episode and everyone knows who the villain is already. So now they're reduced to retcon in new ideas after the pilot already in order to try to clean up the backstory and now they're just throwing in poorly-named, ridiculous villains to stall for time while they try to figure out how to fix the show before fox cancels it.

antdude

[18]Jan 17, 2011
    • level: 27
    Summer Glau was hot tonight.

Kitanishi

[19]Jan 18, 2011
    ScarletPanda wrote:
    This show had potential. Alot of elements that if executed properly could have made something great of The Cape. However, every resource the show has, has been squandered. They've given away a season's worth of plot points in one episode and everyone knows who the villain is already. So now they're reduced to retcon in new ideas after the pilot already in order to try to clean up the backstory and now they're just throwing in poorly-named, ridiculous villains to stall for time while they try to figure out how to fix the show before fox cancels it.

Yes we know there's Chess. But he so far seems more like arch-nemesis to Cape and the overall lesser evil possibly manipulated by Tarot

Yes we also know that there are 21 members of Tarot, but apart from that we do not know anything about the organization itself, its goals or its connection to Chess. Heck, for all we know, certain current Tarot members might even be the characters we already know.

We also got name dropped foreshadowing like Orwell-Chess storyline, something that is called "SIREN", Strange things about Faraday's life itself(like how the cop in the first episode said that Faraday called off the security himself and he had no idea what the cop was talking about), not to mention the hints at the possible previous wearers of the cape and that the whole "Kozmo" master-apprentice cycle might have begun from the first Kozmo stealing the cape from someone(or possibly being that someone)(Tarot/The Magician?)

So yes, first episode INTRODUCED at least one-season worth of plotpoints and thats in Tarot alone.

jack756

[20]Jan 18, 2011
    ATLReppa770 wrote:
    jack756 wrote:
    FoxMulder27 wrote:

jack756 wrote:

*Boooom* *Baaang*

.. Wow. I'm not sure if you realize you said Smallville is _NOT_ a great show, but yet it still has great episodes. Yes .. You said that.
    sorry bout that its jus when i compared smallvile to other shows i like 4 example buffy the vampire slayer its makes smalllville look like crap u knw b/c buffy is so much better than smallville..but i love smallvile and i think its a great show(some seasons i love and others i hate) i jus wish some ppl coould see the cape has potentail b/c i think the cape can be very good if ppl give it a chance.and thats all im trying 2 say