The Carol Burnett Show

CBS (ended 1978)

RoxieVelma

The Carol Burnett Show Fan Reviews (17)

• I loved the Carol Burnett show. Recommended for the whole family.

The Carol Burnett show is a really wonderful show that you can watch with the whole family.

I saw it a couple of weeks back with my grandmother and sister and
    we watched it the whole weekend and everyone loved the clean family friendly humor.

If you buy it on DVDs then buy it from a reputable source like Amazon or similar because
    I had first bought it from this place http://www.idvdshop.com/Carol_Burnett.html where it was actually a pirated version that had been recorded right
    off the TV - so quality of picture was not good. Carol Burnett show is a really great show that you can watch with your whole family.
  • This is REAL COMEDY! I remember watching it with my family, we laughed ALOT,best time spent in front of the TV. I'd watch it over and over. True talents!

They need to rerun this series on TV again so we get that good feeling in this world! real laughter, real entertainment, enjoyment,and great comedy, our kids need to see this type of comedy and see what real talent is about. Carol Burnett and the cast were real enternainers and could get everyone in tears from the laughter, you could just see the fun they were having working together, even when they broke charactor it was a riot! An hour of feel good laughter for everyone, my family sure had a great time and it made us "comedians" in life too! Thank You Carol for the memories and the laughter! I'm glad we spent this time together! Your a true gem and wonderfully funny lady.
  • This show was THE epitome of variety shows!

What a cast! What a show! Every week, Carol & company made us laugh, & the guest stars were fabulous! Great movie/soap opera parodies - probably the best was "As the Stomach Turns"! It was a real shame to see this show go off the air, & the variety show scene really began to die shortly thereafter. Carol Burnett, Vickie Lawrence, Harvey Korman, Tim Conway, & Lyle Waggoner were the best comedy troupe on TV, bar none. I'd love to see this show come back to syndication without being chopped up - show the entire episodes, start to finish!
  • Not very bad...

6.6
    The jewel in the crown on CBS's Saturday night comedies. In one night you saw All in the Family, MASH, Mary Tyler Moore, bob Newhart, and Carol Burnett. There was never that much great comedy on one evening, before or after. Must-see TV years before NBC. Me and my family stayed glued to the set from 8 to 11. A great cast and consistently funny; I found out later that several Mad magazine writers were on the staff. I did get tired of Harvey Korman breaking up very week... but opposite Tim Conway, who could resist? I remember a sketch where Harvey was in a dentist chair; Tim was the dentist. All was going well... until Tim injected the Novocaine into himself and not his patient. Various parts of his body went numb. I remember him slapping his dangling right hand with his left--the numb hand swung back and forth like a half-filled water balloon. Then the left half of his face went slack. Then the right. The his right leg gave out and he had to sit on the chair with Harvey. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard, and poor Harvey almost slid out of his chair with laughter. A class act, all the way. It's a shame Harvey Korman never went on to comedy stardom, when marginally talented folks like Adam Sandler became millionaires.
  • The ultimate influence for all sketch comedy shows still on the air

The Carol Burnett Show certainly wasn't the first sketch comedy show on television. Milton Berle, Sid Ceasar's Your Show of Shows and many others preceded it. But this is probably the one show that writers and actors of Saturday Night Live and Mad TV and whatever else is still on remember and its influence can't be calculated. And it's darn funny, even now! The humor hasn't really dated. Just get one of those Best of DVDs that are available and watch it with friends and family. I dare any of you not to laugh at the antics of Korman and Conway. It's a shame that complete episodes of this show aren't on DVD. I think there were a few video cassettes of whole shows from Columbia House a few years ago, but nothing now. And the severely edited Carol Burnett and Friends isn't even on TV Land anymore. Guess I'll just have to be patient.
  • funniest show ever on tv

this has has to have been the funniest show that has ever been on tv thiss was so great it never failed to makew me laugh and at times till my tummy hurt I always loved when the acters would start to crack each other up it was great some of the best ones were the gone woth the wind and the dentist one they were so great they never get old and arfe still funny today they has also been no other show that has compared I so wish that they would put the repeats back on the air
  • Simply The Best...

For me, The Carol Burnett Show was very, very special. When I was 10 years old, I was experiencing a certain type of anxiety that could present in attacks under specific circumstances. But, because TCBS was on in our area on Saturday nights from 10 pm to 11 pm, I was able to escape for that hour. As any fan of the show knows, the chemistry of the regular cast was & I believe still is unprecedented, & the variety a sheer treat. I always loved it when Carol spoke to the audience at the beginning & still remember some of the shows most memorable & re-run spots, including the one in which the young teenager wanted to give Carol a kiss but was barely able to when she allowed him to come up on stage to do just that. What class Carol had! And who could forget the undeniably hysterical & likely wished for ad-lib moments between Tim Conway & Harvey Korman? And of course, Carol’s special sign to her Grandmother, the show would not be complete without it.
    Carol’s supremely glorious range of talents not least of which were her facial expressions & ability to allow herself to be put in ridiculous situations, & laugh at herself just added to her appeal, grace & garner respect. Unless I am mistaken, all of the regular stars also had the uncanny ability to allow themselves to be put in ridiculous situations & laugh at themselves & ALL had FUN while doing it, too!
    I have a great, deep wish. I wish I could meet Carol Burnett in person to thank her for the gift she gave me 30+ years ago, & later when re-runs aired when I was able to rejoice at the wonderful fact that I am among those who have been so blessed to be a part of the “home” audience.
    I’d love to hear from other fans of TCBS out there & any special memories the show has for you.
    BTW, if anyone is interested, Carol Burnett’s autobiography is a very fascinating read. She had a very different childhood than one would suspect.
    Lanimeerel
  • One of the best.

The Carol Burnett show was and always be a favorite show of mine. The people on the show were fantastic. Every episode was good. I always waited for the skits with Harvey and Tim to see how long it would take before Harvey began to giggle. It was so much fun to see those 2 together. My all time favorite skit is the slippers. Tim plays the old man and Carol the old lady wanting to buy a pair of slippers. It is one of the funniest moments on tv ever. Vicki as momma and carol as Unis was always good. The Gone with the Wind one where Carol wears the drapery as her dress was hysterical. This show should be sold in dvd sets. I truly miss this show and wish that it was aired everynight. If you ever come across it on tv it is worth it to sit down and enjoy!
  • The greatest ensemble variety show ever. I always laughed so hard I cried and the shows still hold up today. These shows are classic.

These shows makeup the best comedy show ever. I still cannot watch without laughing so hard I cry.Thje cast was perfectly suited to one and other. Harvey Corman, Vicki Lawrence, and always Tim Conway departed from the written script yet always performed for the crowd and got the best reactions from each other and the audience.
  • This show still holds up.

This show was so funny I think yourger people can watch, and enjoy just as much as we did. Ok, I was reeeeeeeealy young when I fist saw it, but I knew I liked it. The best part was watching to see who would make who crack first. It was usually Harvey to Tim, but not always. And how talented was Carol, she could sing with the best, and probably one of the funniest funny people ever. Ever!
  • A show with amazing writing,coustumes,skits,and actors. A gem. Very very very funny. Almost too funny for the 1970's. 11 years is almost an impossible feat for a show to acomplish. Great chemistry between all the actors. A classic tv show. Why ca

A great show. Carol Burnett and the rest of the cast are incrdible actors. The skits and coustumes are well thought up. This show marked the beginning for \"Mamas Family\" which was another great show for its time. Were are these kinds of shows now. The jokes were hillarious. A masterpeice of television entertainment.
  • This is one of the best variety shows I've ever seen. It makes you laugh every time you watch it!! There was always something hilarious happening on this great show.

Now this is great comedy. How could you say it's not?! How could you not say it's a classic?! 11 seasons, gorundbreaking comedy, 25 emmys, 8 Golden Globes, and 3 peoples choice awards! Now that's impressive.... Every episode was made up of skits- hilarious skits- that still stand up as fantastic today. I love this show, I'm glad it's still on tv so everyone can enjoy it. Along with the show itself being a classic, there were scenes or even just moments in the show that became classics all by themselves. "Carol wearing drapes" is a perfect example of this. The show was wonderfully written, wonderfully performed, and I think it's a classic show that should last forever
  • Very funny!

This was definitely the finest variety show of the 1970's. The thing that made it great besides the cast were the various recurring sketches that were very expertly created. Sketches like Tudball and Wiggins, the Old Folks, As the Stomach Turns, the kid sister and, of course, Eunice, which was the inspiration for the series "Mama's Family", helped to make this variety hour a classic. Besides "Mama and Eunice" any one of these shows could have become a series on its own. The only thing that caused the show to go downhill though was when Harvey Korman left. He was probably the best player among the supporting cast and when he left the show declined from there. Still, Saturday nights for me would always climax with this classic show.
  • good old fashioned laughs.

The Humour that is generated in this show was and remains to be one of the old time favorites for people who want to be entertainded without have to be worried about being offended. Not a Bunker of it's time but good fun...As the song says just to laugh and sing a song or two.
    Time has not changed it's affect to bring home laughs. Tim Conway has a great way of pulling off antics to make all ages laugh. I still remeber watching this show with my grandparents and everyone enjoyed it equally. Not a must to see but a fun to watch.
  • This is where Mama's Family began, as a sketch.

My favorite part of the show would be the Family sketch (which later spunoff as Mama's Family). My top 3 episodes are...

1). Eunice getting on The Gong Show! Chuck Barris was featured as Eunice sang "Feelings". Jamie Farr, Jaye P. Morgan & Allen Ludden gonged her good!

2). The gang playing charades.

3). Eunice, Mama & Ed playing "Sorry!" In fact, everytime I play it, I have a little bell to ring when I sorry my opponents!
  • The Carol Burnett show always made me laugh. I like to watch movies that make me laugh.

It is one of the best shows ever made for TV. I always loved watching Carol Burnett, Tim Conway and the rest of the crew. It was always funny watching Carol and her momma. Good clean humor is always good for TV. I can remember laughing and laughing for days about an episode.
  • Perhaps the best variety show ever on television. Carol and her ensemble (Harvey, Lyle, Vicki, and Tim) performed funny skits which were seamlessly interspersed with singing, dancing, and big production numbers.

They don't make TV like this anymore.(and its a crying shame!!) The show was filled with parodies of popular movies and TV shows(Went with the Wind, As the Stomach Turns)hilarious recurring characters(Ed, Eunice, Mama)and Hollywood A-list guest stars. There was always a big production number complete with a dance troop, a large set and elaborite costumes. But most of all there was Carol. She would open each episode by chatting with and taking questions from the audience. This connection with the audience has ensured Carol Burnetts place as on e of our most beloved TV personalities. Each epidode is a complete entertainment package with somthing for everyone. A little singing, a little dancing, some laughs, a celebrity sighting and of course Carol, the glue that held it all together. I'm so glad we had this time together...